Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

04-17-2004, 12:23 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: Umm...what?
: 494
the brew master  (10)

yeah your right death but i even wanted a radeon but what am i supoused to do pull out a shitload of money out of my ass but all i could afford was a geforce Fx 5200 which i heard is just as good as a radeon 9600

Whats stopping you?

04-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

GeForce FX5900 256mb 400mhz is as good as the 9600, the 5200 is about as good as a 9200 - 9400. But it's still a good card.

There currently aren't any games that need such high power as a FX5900 or Radeon 9800, but there will be soon, which is why I encourage people to save up for the best they can get so that they can enjoy that kind of performance for as long as possible.
04-18-2004, 02:03 AM
Big_Bro_Slig222
Spark Stunk

: Oct 2002
: The Blasted Wastes
: 394
Big_Bro_Slig222  (10)

I hope it lives up to the grim feel of the original. In HL1, for a while it was scary and confusing, it was like you were dropped into some horror movie. Now, the whole alien thing is established and all, so the sense of "not knowing what the **** is going on"
isn't there to scare us anymore, they'll have to try a new way at making it as freaky.

04-18-2004, 02:01 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

yeah something like that death but it is one smooth card with beatiful graphics...........i can only imagen the radeon 9800.....or if i had 600 bucks i could buy but i dont think so..

Whats stopping you?

04-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
I hope it lives up to the grim feel of the original. In HL1, for a while it was scary and confusing, it was like you were dropped into some horror movie. Now, the whole alien thing is established and all, so the sense of "not knowing what the **** is going on"
isn't there to scare us anymore, they'll have to try a new way at making it as freaky.
Much as I agree with you there, the first game only had that effect when you played it the first time. It was an overwhelming experience what with learning new controls, weapons, areas and monsters. But after that, well, lets just say the bubblegum runs out of flavour.

I've played through and completed Half Life about 3 times. All 3 times it has been an enjoyable and fun experience, but each time I've played it, it has been less enjoyable than the last.

The new game however, should be so engaging, that you will literally WANT to play it over and over again, just to experience the thrill. (well at least, that's the idea). Plus you'll have the new version of counterstrike, Opposing Forces, Blue Shift, DoD, and many more. Also, the game editor that comes with the game will be EVEN EASIER to use! So all in all, this game is set up to create a MASSIVE fanbase scene!

That, plus the release of HALO PC will make the PC the best computer game platform of all time. Can't wait for Bungee to buck their ideas up and release HALO 2 on PC! (I know they've said they aren't, but then again, they did that with HALO 1 aswell)

As for brewmaster, yes the FX 5200 is a good card, once you've got the driver installed, anti-aliasing up to max, and all the enhancements going, it really rocks. But to be honest with you, it's no better than the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 when it comes to performance in most games. There is only a certain amount of smoothing out that can be done with computer game graphics. Unfortunately, so far, like I said earlier, there are no games currently released that couldn't be rendered to max performance by a GeForce 4 Ti 4600.
04-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

If Halo 2 is such a big success (as i'm sure it will be) i'm sure they'll put it into PC.

04-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

'Halo' was just like any other FPS i have played. The story was interesting though but at the end of the day what was so groundbreaking about it? Nice visuals...okay, sure. Good AI...okay, erm, maybe. Interesting weapons...erm...yes, fun aswell.

But you can get all that in any other FPS, i just don't see what the fuss is all about.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

04-19-2004, 01:21 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:
'Halo' was just like any other FPS i have played. The story was interesting though but at the end of the day what was so groundbreaking about it? Nice visuals...okay, sure. Good AI...okay, erm, maybe. Interesting weapons...erm...yes, fun aswell.

But you can get all that in any other FPS, i just don't see what the fuss is all about.
oh no we have a non believer

Whats stopping you?

04-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:

It's more of an aesthetics thing. It happens to be quite a nicely polished off game overall. It still needs a little room to breath and develop yet, HALO 2 is supposed to be where all that happens.

I can see where you are coming from though. At first I thought it was pretty ok, but then I went off it, thinking that I'd get that kind of action in any other FPS. But later when I thought about it, I realised that I can't get that kind of action anywhere else. Driving big 4x4s and tanks, flying little alien assault aircraft... there aren't many games around that offer that in the way HALO does.

HALO is definately a game you need time to fall in love with. You need to realise what you don't have when the game isn't there. You need to appreciate what you would be missing without it.
04-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I still play it from time to time because i like the Grunts reactions. But at the end of the day i was expecting something amazing and original. And got neither. I've always thought that games should have vehicles that you can drive in them and so 'Halo' was a nice change. And i've always wanted decent AI with a decent amount of enemy-friendly interaction...but this could've been polished up abit.

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

04-20-2004, 02:04 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

thats why theres gonna be a HALO 2 jacob

Whats stopping you?

04-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

HALO 1 was really to introduce you to the game story, the controls, and some of the vehicles. The AI sucks, the game engine has some flaws, and there are 3 vehicles you see ALL the time but can't even pilot.

HALO 2 will allow you to pilot all the vehicles, will have more weapons, better AI, more action, better story, and will overall will be a much longer game with more possible different endings.
04-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Ohhh, different endings sounds thooper!!

It must be said, i did like the part were the Covenant were trying to release the Flood, failing to realise the Flood will actually kill them aswell. I thought that was kinda thooperlicious.

04-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

Half-life 2, to graphics cards, and now Halo.

"All posts lead to Halo......."