04-09-2004, 12:36 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: Umm...what?
: 494
the brew master  (10)
Exclamation half life 2!

hey everyone i opend this thread to discuss the new upcoming game half life 2 and to talk about the leak in october in 2003 and to see what all your opionions are about the leak..

Whats stopping you?

04-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

So if HL2 isn't out yet... why is there a copy of it sitting on my desk?

04-09-2004, 12:42 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:

So if HL2 isn't out yet... why is there a copy of it sitting on my desk?

where in the seven hells did you get it?!?!?!?!

Whats stopping you?

04-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

It came free with my graphics card. It's still in its box and unwrapped. I plan on selling it on ebay, then buying the full version when it's officially released.
04-09-2004, 12:56 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

really.....they gave it to you with the graphics card???
i thought that they would only give it when its officaly released
hmm...werid
anyway what do you think about the leak death??

Whats stopping you?

04-09-2004, 12:57 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Aww poo. And here I thought Death would have already played the demo and given us some juicy details. For shame, Death. You pick money over being a nifty informant. That makes me a sad panda.

Anyone know if it's still coming out for Xbox? I hope so, 'cuz there is no way either of the comps in my house will be able to handle it.
04-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Hehe, Death gave me a decent laugh.

It looks quite superb, and hopefully will live up to the holiness that was given as the original Half-Life. One of my "To buy" games, for sure. ALong with the various other sequals of superb games scheduled to come out within the next year or two.

EDIT: Oh yes... I don't want to see poor Brew Master tortured with anticipation and such. Don't listen to silly old Death, he has nothing special.

Last edited by Majic; 04-09-2004 at 01:06 PM..
04-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Aww poo. And here I thought Death would have already played the demo and given us some juicy details. For shame, Death. You pick money over being a nifty informant. That makes me a sad panda.

Anyone know if it's still coming out for Xbox? I hope so, 'cuz there is no way either of the comps in my house will be able to handle it.

You're a panda? Oh shit! uh... okay... better not make any sudden movments...

And while I'm standing there like a startled tree, I'll inform you all that the version of HL2 I have is very nicely packaged. Just incase you wanted to know!
04-09-2004, 01:05 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

yeah it should be coming out on xbox searex
i dont know what you guys heard but i read in a magazine that half life 2 might come out in may.....but who knows(damn those russian hackers for delaying it!)

Whats stopping you?

04-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
(damn those russian hackers for delaying it!)
Yes err... but I had nothing to do with it you understand...

:
Hehe, Death gave me a decent laugh.

It looks quite superb, and hopefully will live up to the holiness that was given as the original Half-Life. One of my "To buy" games, for sure. ALong with the various other sequals of superb games scheduled to come out within the next year or two.

EDIT: Oh yes... I don't want to see poor Brew Master tortured with anticipation and such. Don't listen to silly old Death, he has nothing special.
I have the full preview version of HL2... that in my mind is special. Try to play nice in future hunny bumpkins.

Last edited by Codek; 04-09-2004 at 02:43 PM..
04-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

Preview version? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
04-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Preview version? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
It's not a demo, in that it's not deliberately restricted. It's a preview of the game rather than a demo. And to that end, it's worth alot.

I actually didn't realise it was only a preview until I took a second look at it after I posted here.
04-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

That was what confused me. In your original posts you referred to it somewhat as a type of demo, and since no playable demos exist, at least to the public, as of now, I figured it was just a silly little joke you'd made that Brew master took seriously.

A quick check on Ebay turned up what I assumed you have, with several preview movies and such. Seems like if it was anything refreshingly new, never-before-seen or super valuble, a game site or magazine would've picked up to review it all. Then again, I don't check up for information all that often, so my knowledge on if it has or not is quite fuzzy. Simply, if all this material is around but unnanounced, it damn well should.
04-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

Quite frankly I don't care what info is out there anymore. I just get whatever previews I'm given, keep them in their box, and sell them on ebay so I can buy a copy of the full game when it's released.
04-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

Tis' the spirit, chap, tis' the spirit.

The only good type of preview information I feel, is introduction to the game's design, the way it plays, and touches of the storyline. Quite frankly, I get tired of purely speculatory glimpses, because after a while, so many ideas are thrown out into the open a game will feel too damn foreign from what you thought it was going to be like.
04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

Preview, so it has no gameplay on it? just pictures?

PM me when its on Ebay.

04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:
In your original posts you referred to it somewhat as a type of demo, and since no playable demos exist, at least to the public, as of now, I figured it was just a silly little joke you'd made that Brew master took seriously.
actully there is a playable demo when the russian hackers(im looking at you death) stole stuff from the makers of half life 2 they also leaked info and stuff onto the internet thus there was a beta demo of HL2 .......but its shit it works but its shit,the enviroments arent finished,enemy dont react,weapons dont work
well and so on and i quote what a writer at pc games addict wrote about the HL2 leaked beta demo "its just a fuzzy movie with no actors"

Whats stopping you?

04-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Lucipher

: Sep 2003
: SE England,hampshire,yately
: 374
Lucipher  (10)

Death probably has a pirate copy of half life 2, Everyboby has pirate copys these days for example I have a copyed version of starcraft.
04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

Just... I can't think of something to properly respond to that comment. Pirate copies of HL2? Lolz.
04-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Abe's son
Outlaw Shooter

: Jul 2001
: Essex MA
: 1,331
Abe's son  (10)

...every game I own besides WC3 has been pirated and copied by my bootleg comunity...
04-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Death probably has a pirate copy of half life 2, Everyboby has pirate copys these days for example I have a copyed version of starcraft.
Nope it's not a pirate copy. It's in an official box which came with my graphics card. My graphics card is an ATi Radeon 9800 with 256 mb 400mhz DDR ram. It is official.

Although I haven't played it, on the box it says "official preview game". I'm assuming that this is the preview, not the demo - and is the full but unfinished game.

It doesn't look very pretty, it's just a cardboard box. I'll dig it out and take some photos of it.
04-15-2004, 12:04 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:
Nope My graphics card is an ATi Radeon 9800 with 256 mb 400mhz DDR ram.
wish i could afford one of those all i have is a GeforceFX5200/ASUS V9520 Magic.but i can play far cry on very high specs smoothly and the doom 3 beta almost smoothly(but thats probably cause its a beta)

Whats stopping you?

04-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Not to unpurposely go off topic here, but anybody know what 'Manhunt' is like? And is it worth getting when it comes out for Xbox?

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

04-16-2004, 10:40 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Not to unpurposely go off topic here, but anybody know what 'Manhunt' is like? And is it worth getting when it comes out for Xbox?
Ultra-violent... but repetitive. The animations are gruesome, but they lose their edge after seeing each one a bajillion times. The AI isn't very good either. However, there really isn't any other game like "Manhunt."

Rent it.
04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I don't "do" renting. I buy and if i don't like it i take it back and get something else [or my money back].

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

04-16-2004, 10:56 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

Oh... well... it seems like something you would like (I guess). Try buying it on discount.
04-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Erm, does anybody know why i'm suddenly getting links when i say certain words...such as money, Cancer or Smoking.

04-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Erm, does anybody know why i'm suddenly getting links when i say certain words...such as money, Cancer or Smoking.
Not a clue mate.

And brewmaster, I wouldn't worry about your cards power. If those are your only cards and you ever want more, put both cards into your most powerful PC, and you'll have yourself something as powerful as the Radeon 9800 for sure.

I used to do that back when I only had GF FXs, I bought a MoBo with 4 GFX slots and put all my cards in. Boy the graphics on that was hot. Wasn't too fast though, cause the board only took one 'cessor and it didn't like more than one task at a time. Since getting a P4 with HT though, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem, especially now that my fourth CPU has arrived.

Actually, I think I'm going to need a bigger PSU, otherwise the system will just complain. It doesn't like having 4 processors and 450W power.
04-16-2004, 12:21 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:
Not a clue mate.

And brewmaster, I wouldn't worry about your cards power. If those are your only cards and you ever want more, put both cards into your most powerful PC, and you'll have yourself something as powerful as the Radeon 9800 for sure.

I used to do that back when I only had GF FXs, I bought a MoBo with 4 GFX slots and put all my cards in. Boy the graphics on that was hot. Wasn't too fast though, cause the board only took one 'cessor and it didn't like more than one task at a time. Since getting a P4 with HT though, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem, especially now that my fourth CPU has arrived.

Actually, I think I'm going to need a bigger PSU, otherwise the system will just complain. It doesn't like having 4 processors and 450W power.
ill just leave one card in there and get a shit load of ram and some other stuff i just got a new motherboard ASUS A7N8X-X (sigh practicaly every thing in my comp is ASUS) anyway i was gonna get a radeon 9600 but i heard the Geforce Fx 5200 was just as good....besides i heard that radeon cards dont work with to many games i mean havent you seen the NVIDIA sign when you start games like H&D2 , unreal tournement 2004 , painkiller , etc but at least youll be able to play half life 2 and doom 3(man that shits freaky....im never playing that beta demo again) anyway back to the subject of half life 2 i should be able to play on medium specs or maybe have a struggle on high but very high........i wont even try.

Whats stopping you?

04-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

Radeons work with everything. If anything, they are MORE compatible with games than the GeForces are. The thing about Radeons not working well with certain stuff was spouted by some anti-radeon guy.

In fact, it has been proven that Nvidia cheated in that "worlds most powerful graphics card" competition thing. Even though they cheated, the Radeon still won.

The GeForce cards are good, and their latest one is brilliant. But personally I prefer ATis offerings, simply because they are statistically more powerful.

You DON'T need MORE ram to make your computer go faster. Ram is what a program sits in while it's waiting for the CPU to become free. If you run lots of processes at once, then you need enough ram to support it, otherwise your computer won't work.

RAm SPEED is what you need. Faster ram means the Programs in the ram can enter and exit the ram faster, which helps the CPU work more efficiently. For instance, 1 gig of 200mhz ram would be pretty slow, but 1 gig of 500mhz ram would be pretty fast.

Sadly, if you want more speed, you have to fork out the big dollars and buy yourself a bigger better processor. One that handles more data at once, and more quickly, so it spends less time in the processor. A 3.8ghz p4 can handle 3.8 ghz at once. The closer the RAM speed is to the CPU, the more effecient it will be.

For instance, lets say you have two programs, HL.exe and MsPaint.exe. HL.exe spends 1 second of processing time in the CPU, and MsPaint.exe spends 0.5 seconds in the CPU. While MsPaint.exe is in the CPU, HL.exe has to sit in the RAM. But if the CPU is faster, then MsPaint.exe only spends 0.01 seconds in the CPU, leaving plenty more time for HL.exe to spend in the CPU.

Last edited by Codek; 04-16-2004 at 12:42 PM..