12-02-2003, 11:06 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Oddworld Game Speak for Stranger

In Munch the game speak was going to be amazeing but we all know what happened. Now comes OW4, what sort of game speak will we have in the next game? Are any of you cerous on that?

I would like to see our characters be able to have a more realistic dialog. For instance be able to say just about anything. total freedom in game speak that convey emotion controled by the situation in the gameplay. Like depending on what time of the day it is converts into the way you feel. Like if its evening and your tired your voice in game speak would sound like your tired. If something horrible is about to happen you sound like your scared or worried. If something doesn't go your way you sound angry, and if something depressing happens to you, you would sound sad or depressed. If something funny happens you talk and laugh and well you can see what I am getting at here. You press a button to say hello but you can say hello in different tones of voice that would altimatically be controled by the sitution you are put in. Just like how the music in the games changes depending on the situation the tone of your voice can do the same only now its altimatic where the situation in the gameplay determine the emotion of your character just like the music. When there is a slig around the music starts to get exciting. When nothing is happening its quite. I am saying expand on that idea and put it in gamespeak.

Why not have that subtle change in the tone of voice added into the gamespeak? Like its more altimatic where you don't have to press certain controls to activate angry? That can be another element as an alive feel for Oddworld.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 12-02-2003 at 03:09 AM..
12-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Since Lorne keeps talking about way different gameplay than the other games and from what we've seen so far, I think gamespeak will be less important in this game, but will still be there. The last games almost revolved around gamespeak, but this one seems more loner/renegade action, so I doubt he'll have much gamespeak.

12-02-2003, 12:30 PM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

I was also thinking about Gamespeak the other day... it will be interesting to as how this works in with the story, but I'm positive it will be there, even if it is only an underlying small feature. It would be nice if they conveyed real emotion or fatigue level within the gamespeak, btu I find it unlikely because I think it won't be a very important feature.
If they do do it, I hope it won't be complicated to control the gamespeak, Munch had perfect controls for it, easy to get to, easy to remember, so maybe leaving the control of emotion/tiredness should be left to the ai.
In this game, i would like changes in the mood of music, subtle, yet nice, like people probably noticed in Halo, but I think OWI do that anyway.

12-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

lol, when I saw the thread name on the forums main page I knew it was from you PA

I do think the will be GameSpeak, and hopefully a bit better then MO, but it is true it can be not the principal play mechanic.
It could be even more inventive

I don't realy know if we do know enough to allready talk about this, but go on...

12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I didn't have any problems with MO gamespeak. It was a vast improvement over AE. I think that OWI will only get better with gamespeak in each new game. Maybe someday PA's idea will be put into effect.

-oddguy

12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)

I really like your idea, PA.
It would make the new game really realistic
12-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
Originally posted by oddguy
I didn't have any problems with MO gamespeak. It was a vast improvement over AE. I think that OWI will only get better with gamespeak in each new game. Maybe someday PA's idea will be put into effect.

-oddguy
better then AE?

-when you posses a Slig in MO you can't say anything that affects slogs or wathever, just spit random insults
-when you posses a Glukkon in MO you can only say a bunch of funny sentences
-when you are Munch or Abe you can still use the basics of interaction by language but you can't exprim subtilities anymore ("I'm sorry", "stop it"), the only plus is to order them to attack

sorry but it is not better then AE

12-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

The actual contents of MO's GameSpeak was dismal, I agree, everything from the characterisation to the aptitude, to the adequacy and usefullness. However, it was a lot easier to control and simpler to remember, and each of the 6 'buttons' also could bring about multiple phrases, which was a neat idea. It's a stepping stone, for sure, and if OWI put enough energy into it, which I'm sure they will, it could easily become a great tool in the next Abe/Munch game, giving them the power to communicate with different species (Munch using his flute-like tongue to bemuse and trick Scrabs, for instance, or possessed Glukkons giving Sligs orders, who in turn give orders to Mudokons and Slogs).

As for GameSpeak in Oddworld 4, I don't know, it's far too early to say. GameSpeak has always been with Oddworld, but I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it was left out of this game.

12-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

i suppose there could be gamespeak, but only to talk to the more insignificant and weak creatures of oddworld, such as the Salamanders. But then again, i guess he could only speak during FMVs or something, but it is a exploring/shooting game and i don't think there's much use in striking up a conversation with someone you just pummled with darts.

12-02-2003, 09:21 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
Originally posted by Xavier
better then AE?

-when you posses a Slig in MO you can't say anything that affects slogs or wathever, just spit random insults
-when you posses a Glukkon in MO you can only say a bunch of funny sentences
-when you are Munch or Abe you can still use the basics of interaction by language but you can't exprim subtilities anymore ("I'm sorry", "stop it"), the only plus is to order them to attack

sorry but it is not better then AE
Yes, you pointed out all the cons of MO gamespeak, which I totally agree with by the way(), but what about the pros?

As Max pointed out(But I had similar thoughts on the subject):

-Easier button functions for gamespeak

-Multiple phrases for each command

-Multiple phrases for response

This is what made part of the MO gamespeak system better than AE. I should have rephrased my last post to say that part of the MO gamespeak outdid AE. Wasn't it just refreshing to use the MO gamespeak after playing AE? But then, it was quite annoying to possess a slig and have nothing better to do than piss off your friends and have them run after you. I think if OWI used the atributes we liked in MO and improved and expanded on them, we would have an awesome time. For instance; wouldn't it be cool to have possessed enemies be able to switch back and forth between cooperative gamespeak and insuting gamespeak?

-oddguy

12-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

The Gamespeak in AE was deffinately superior to MO's. I understand that MO's Gamespeak was easier to control, but it wasn't as diverse as AE's. For example, as pointed out, the different creatures didn't have special commands in Gamespeak - only Abe and Munch did.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-03-2003, 01:15 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

Doesn't anyone see what I'm trying to point out? You have to admit that PART of MO's gamespeak was superior to AE. Not much, but enough that it improved and I was impressed when I played. Now, the part that I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH was the ENEMY GAMESPEAK wich didn't improve, but actually downgraded from AE......and we know why this happened with the move to Xbox blah blah. Am I the only guy who actually recognizes that MO had some good points to the gamespeak?

-oddguy

12-03-2003, 01:53 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Gamespeak will most definately be in Oddworld 4. OWI will come up with some way to incorporate it, and add some fresh ideas to it I'm sure. If it wasnt I would sure be suprised.

But as Max said, its far too early to tell how the final play mechanics or anything. Well hopefully we will have some screenshots soon, Im actually excited again after the long dryspell we have had lately with information on OW4.
12-03-2003, 02:36 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Well I know its early to speculate but its only theory. No harm done. Anyway I hate to tell you folks that MO's Gamespeak was going to be far superior to AO and AE. But it never happened. The only thing that stayed was the abality to alert huge crowds of Muds. I am with Oddguy on this one. MO had bad game speak but it was far more intresting than AO and AE in the sense of greeting your fellow Muds. Instead of one liners like Hello or Hi you had a more deverse approach. Not by much but more lines to say. and it happened at random. Each time you talked to somebody it was a different line all the time. Thats what gives that intresting difference. But AO and AE were cool for its time. Lastly we really can't tell because we got a game that was messed up badly. So there we go!

Paramiteabe...

12-03-2003, 03:34 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I love you, PA! Finally, someone agreed with me on this! MO's gamespeak wasn't the best, but it had some good aditives that made it better, and some things that made it worse in terms of enemy gamespeak.

Anywho, I hope OW4 has gamespeak. Gamespeak is what made OW interesting and unique in zee first place, but I can't tell now if Stranger is going to have it or not.

-oddguy

12-03-2003, 06:31 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

While the gamespeak of MO definately wasn't as good as that of the Abe games, it definately was easier to use. With the Abe games we had to memorize combinations, but w/ the Xbox, it was much simpler due to the button sensitity technology. But the Abe games didn't have that advantage, there was no choice other than to use button combinations.

I'm not quite sure that there will be any Gamespeak in Oddworld 4. On the Xfactor and even in the recent interview with Lorne, there is reference to different styles of gameplay to the previous games. And the footage we have seen makes it look like the game switches between first to third person mode. Also the fact that Stranger seems like a character that works alone. He may not enlist the help of anyone else. The tasks might need to be completed by the character itself. Just because it was in the previous games, doesn't mean that it has to be in this one.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be in it though. Of course it would be cool if they did incorporate it, but on the other hand, if they are going for a fresh and new approach, then maybe it isn't needed. They might be coming up with something new and unique or something that is similar that you wouldn't even think of until you see it .

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

12-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

okay, oddguy I understood what you mean, it's true that the GameSpeak in MO did have some plusses... I admit that

but OWI don't have to feature GameSpeak

12-03-2003, 11:54 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Well it also to me at least looked as if Stranger is sort of looking for something in the next game aswell as hideing from the poachers. Possably Stranger could be searching for this huge bounty on some character I dunno. If he is a bounty hunter by trade which we already know now from X-Factor, game speak could once again be another critical element but in a different manner than how we used it in the previous games. Think about it, if your a bounty hunter and your searching for somebody your going to need tips, informations on the where abouts of your bounty from the locals. Game Speak can be used in that sense of finding out information from the locals. Your not saveing anybody or asking people to follow you or ordering them around. You are simply just talking to them. In this case it would be Mudokons, Clakerz and all the towns folk, The Salimanders probabally won't because they look like innocent savages to me that could also be after Stranger by maybe helping out the Poachers as spies maybe. And the Karate blobs, they look like maybe they would help stranger with his transformation, by performing intricate dances to calm the mind of ones self. Don't ask me I dunno I just thought of that one now. Sort of like Strangers little mentors like Big Face for Abe, Raison for Munch, Karate Blobs for Stranger.

In previous games you used game speak to inlist your friends or to get them to follow you so you can save them and ordered them around. Now comes OW4 where game speak is used in searching out and captureing your bounty on what ever that may be. With Stranger being weak minded but strong on the outside this can be a problem for him. The only way for Stranger to over come the weakness and to face his enamys "the Poachers" is to grow strong in the mind that which can result into his transformation into that Centaur ie the blobs. That alone is a story element because a game without a story isn't fun. OW4 yes will be an exploring mechanic but there is going to be some kind of plot and a goal you have to accomplish. Hunting and searching for info relates to exploreing. And that can be the quarma in the game.

You could talk to the wrong people or the right people, and the wrong people would lead you into a very nasty trap in the end of the game. There could be multiple bad and good endings instead of three depending where you are lead into. The idea here is now the gamplay is reversed and the inhabitants lead you to the goal and not you leading them to the goal. That is very different than previous games which would be really neat and cool. But once again its only my theory.

Paramiteabe...

Last edited by paramiteabe; 12-03-2003 at 04:17 AM..
12-03-2003, 04:21 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
Originally posted by Xavier
okay, oddguy I understood what you mean, it's true that the GameSpeak in MO did have some plusses... I admit that

but OWI don't have to feature GameSpeak
Yay! *shakes hands with Xav*

Gamespeak or no gamespeak for OW4? That is the question. OW4 could have gamespeak, or not. There are good explanations for both sides that seem logical.

-oddguy

12-04-2003, 12:02 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I suspect OW4 will not feature GameSpeak, but something totally new. Either way I don't care, as I know OWI will have created something totally different - yet fantastic.

GameSpeak doesn't seem to fit in with the game, from what we know about Stranger's personality. But either way, it'll be good.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

12-04-2003, 02:16 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

As with anything there is going to pluses and minuses. I really like Munche's Oddysee. Yes, it had its flaws and some that were caused by time constraints, but I still very much enjoyed the game. I personally thought Gamespeak in MO had its good points and some small complaints from me. Most of which were allready stated but my list includes the following. On the plus side, the gamespeak was pressure sensitive, allowing easier Gamespeak, instead of having to hold down combinations like on the Playstation games. Variety of sayings for one basic command.

My only gripes were that the Gamespeak for enemies, was just funny comments, or gross humor. Hopefully for ME they will incorporate an AE style of Gamespeak, or even further upgraded, for commands for both characters, enemies, and other NPCs. But also add the same good variety that MO had.
12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

The only complaint I have about MO was the fact emotion and the angry "ehahha!" and whistleing that Abe did was left out. For AE they should of kept Abe's whistleing. AO by far was the most profound which made Abe Odd in the sense of his speech and the sounds he made like whistle. Even his fart in AO followed by laughing sounded better. The one thing I love most about AO was when you whistled to other Muds and they whistled back to you. That was so cool. Now if OWI would have kept speech and sound combination in all three games along with the new ones then it would have been real. Imagine Munch with Musical sounds along with Abe's whistle from AO. I think we will see that again. Mainly what I am saying is AE by far was beautiful but it left important signature sounds out like whistleing, saying I dunno, Fart followed by a laughter. If they would have left that with the emotions it would have been even better. And then imagine everything along with the Munch. Now we are talking.

Stranger will be indeed very different but I suspect a big surprise with the game speak.

Paramiteabe...

Last edited by paramiteabe; 12-04-2003 at 03:05 AM..
12-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

I'm with Alcar on this one. Oddworld 4 will most likely not have gamespeak. I'd be totally fine with it...even though it's almost what makes Oddworld gameplay, if the game has no need for it, then they shouldn't put it in. I'm very eager to see this new type of gameplay they keep talking about.

12-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Well maybe Oddworld 4 could have a different form of Gamespeak. Such as RPGs etc, or similar to Legend of Zelda. Where you go up to maybe a towns person and can actually have a conversation that is in letterbox format. Where you can choose from different responses to say to people in the world when you are exploring. Just some thoughts and speculation while we are waiting for more info.
12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

i agree with many of the theories here.

i personally think they should include Gamespeak for these two reasons

1. PA covered it for me

2. It's like a tradition for OWI to put some type of in-game communication besides cheesy letter or caption boxes or something, and i think that it would be un-oddworldy not to include a type of Gamespeak.

Last edited by Sekto Springs; 12-04-2003 at 01:28 PM..