11-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Incognito
Stingbee

: Nov 2003
: England
: 93
Incognito  (10)
Question Xbox: Is it worth it?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the Oddworld Universe.

Anyway, I been wondering recently whether or not to buy an Xbox to play Munch's Odyssee (I've not played it yet )

I've played both Abe's Oddysee and Exodus and loved both of them. I want to play Munch but am unsure.

Is it worth it, or should I just wait until Oddworld release to PC, if they do that? Is there any chance of them doing it?

I don't mean to sound like an old ninny, but I don't want to buy an Xbox and find that OI have decided to change game engines for the next released game, like they did originally for Munch; meaning I have to dish out more cash for a different console.

Any feedback is welcome.
Thanks
11-11-2003, 11:10 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

MO is exclusive to Xbox, so we may not see it on PC, but Halo was exclusive to Xbox as well and it is now availible on PC, so only time can tell. Is Xbox worth it you ask? Yes. I love Xbox. I have PS2 and Xbox, and now most of my games are with Xbox even if the game is multi-platform. Xbox has the best graphics of any system to date, and you can burn your music to the Xbox and customize your soundtrack to certain games, such as Tony Hawk. The Xbox also has the Xbox Live system, which I hear is fantastic. The DVD player on Xbox is also a lot better than the PS2 version......remember I own both of these sytems. You also said you were worried that the Oddworld series would move suddenly to another system......well, I believe that OWI(the company that makes the Oddworld Games) is contracted with Microsoft for the next three of their games to be on the Xbox. But if Oddworld moved to another system, which I don't think they will, I would still be happy with my Xbox.

-oddguy

11-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

The fact is, the next few OW games will ge on X Box.

The second fact is, X Box like only like $180 now, plus 2 free games.

The third fact is that X Box is a great system even without OW, so I'd suggest getting one anyways.

That all equals one thing:
Get it.
11-12-2003, 12:49 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

Well said, Majic! Anyway, even though I'm promoting Xbox, I still like my PS2......especially since the new Jak game is out.

-oddguy

11-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

Get the Box. It makes the PS2 look like a slow, low-res, a-symmertrical piece of shit, not to mention the everything but pretty NGC.

The games may be less in numbers, but with the conversion of MGS2 and GTA3 to it, PS2 loses a lot of interest. Why playing games on a inferior machine? The NGC is for little kids. Name one great game. OK, so Metroid Prime is on it, but what else is worth mentioning?

Personally, I don't get why people won't buy it because Uncle Bill made it. I mean, probably all of you are working with a version of Windows. So why buy an inferior console just because you don't like Gates???

That is just my opinion though. And I'm NOT trying to make this a Console Wars Thread.
- And you're still a dick.

11-12-2003, 12:34 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

Get your self an X-Box. Not only because the graphics of games on the system are amazeing but I think the rest of the quintology will be for X-Box. Even though they said the next three games will be on the X-Box, things change all the time. They very well might plan for the rest of the games to be on X-Box. The X-Box is one remarkable machine which can very easily produce the expierence OWI is looking to in their games.

On another note this system can do amazeing things it shows promise for the future in entertainment.

If anything that is certain with Oddworld is the fact they will make the games for the best systems to produce the most quality of gameplay and graphics around. They are simply finding the best technology to produce the expierence they are looking for. If it means changeing consols then so be it because that is OWI's mission.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 11-12-2003 at 04:37 AM..
11-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
Originally posted by Majic
The second fact is, X Box like only like $180 now, plus 2 free games.
Or in UK Prices about £120 with 2 games if you look about
11-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

While everyone seems to have jumped up on the chance to promote the Xbox, as a long-standing and, dare I say it, die hard fan, I feel I have to dampen the mood and tell you that while Munch's Oddysee is a good game, it does not live up to the standards set by Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. The 3D environment offers a whole new dimension to run away from your enemies, not to mention the AI is pretty shocking, Sligs sometimes not noticing when you're running circles around them (an exageration, but trust me it's bad), and the difficulty level has been reduced and shifted over to something more akin to a test of endurance - for example, using a crane to pick up and drop into a chute around 25 crates of eggs, one at a time is going to have you trying to use the fast forward button on your DVD remote (which I need to add you have to buy separately to play DVDs).

Then there's the traditionalist view: while we do get to see the Vykkers and Interns for the first time, some twists have been added to existing races. Glukkons are now using their mumbling voices even less than in AO, in fact they've now turned into a bunch of mobsters. The utterly peace-loving Mudokons have been beefed up (and I really mean that, we're talking muscles here - no more weedy anti-heros) and given mojo-powered weapons, while Scrabs and Paramites have changed their voices. Drastically. And also terribly.

The story is barely integrated with the gameplay, and the Shaman is a very annoying character. The Raisin's falling asleep mid sentance is a childish and poor continuing joke, the teleporters do not fit in with Oddworld's style at all, the Vendos destroy the authenticity of the environments, especially when you find them in nature and Mudokon settlements.

Bah, I could go on, but don't let me completely spoil it for you - like I say, overall it's a good game, but for someone like me it doesn't live up to the hype, the expectation or the legacy. But yeah, Xbox rocks.

11-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Id have to say get an Xbox. Its by far the best IMO. The Graphics alone out do any of the other consoles (not counting PC). Next the games, Halo, Splinter Cell (Its much better on Xbox), Castle Wolfenstein, Unreal, KotOR, Munches Oddysee, and now vice city and GTA 3 together. Plus the hardrive, you dont have to pay for an add on, its built in. And the memory is basically infinite.
11-16-2003, 11:36 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

:
Originally posted by Max the Mug
While everyone seems to have jumped up on the chance to promote the Xbox, as a long-standing and, dare I say it, die hard fan, I feel I have to dampen the mood and tell you that while Munch's Oddysee is a good game, it does not live up to the standards set by Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. The 3D environment offers a whole new dimension to run away from your enemies, not to mention the AI is pretty shocking, Sligs sometimes not noticing when you're running circles around them (an exageration, but trust me it's bad), and the difficulty level has been reduced and shifted over to something more akin to a test of endurance - for example, using a crane to pick up and drop into a chute around 25 crates of eggs, one at a time is going to have you trying to use the fast forward button on your DVD remote (which I need to add you have to buy separately to play DVDs).

Then there's the traditionalist view: while we do get to see the Vykkers and Interns for the first time, some twists have been added to existing races. Glukkons are now using their mumbling voices even less than in AO, in fact they've now turned into a bunch of mobsters. The utterly peace-loving Mudokons have been beefed up (and I really mean that, we're talking muscles here - no more weedy anti-heros) and given mojo-powered weapons, while Scrabs and Paramites have changed their voices. Drastically. And also terribly.

The story is barely integrated with the gameplay, and the Shaman is a very annoying character. The Raisin's falling asleep mid sentance is a childish and poor continuing joke, the teleporters do not fit in with Oddworld's style at all, the Vendos destroy the authenticity of the environments, especially when you find them in nature and Mudokon settlements.

Bah, I could go on, but don't let me completely spoil it for you - like I say, overall it's a good game, but for someone like me it doesn't live up to the hype, the expectation or the legacy. But yeah, Xbox rocks.
All of these things you said are true and well said. But we know exactly why MO ended up like that. All of that stuff unfortunately happened do to time constraints on the game. OWI would of had a very incredible game if they would have spent another year on rebuilding the game for X-Box, but that never happened and we were left with this less of an Oddworld game unfortunately. Munch will go down as probabally the worst Oddworld game in the quintology. It was all because of the short window they had when they were rebuilding it for X-Box. It would have been what it was suppose to be on X-Box if they spent another year on it. I believe what happened was that the publisher at Microsoft realised this and said "ok quickly rebuild this and throw it out there and don't worry about all the details! they want this game!" And Well Lorne knew that and he dident like that but he had to make the sacifice as a business decision.

I mean I bet thats what happened. They were working so hard on Munch for the longest time before the switch and there were quicktime movies of the original Munch and screenshots and all kinds of stuff that were amazeing. But then it was rushed in the end. And well Lorne knew this in the end and well he is not going to make that mistake again from what we saw in the X-Factor. At least we hope.

11-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

is it worth it to buy xbox for Munch's oddysee--no
is it worth it to buy xbox for munch's oddysee, oddworld 4, other games--yes

EDIT: luv your post max, just yesterday i snuck up behind a slig, and to get in that position, i was like 3 feet in front of the sligs face and he just stood there, i just walked around back and threw him on a bomb

Last edited by Sekto Springs; 11-16-2003 at 04:02 AM..
11-16-2003, 01:45 PM
soulstorm49
Zappfly

: Jul 2003
: Vermont
: 9
soulstorm49  (10)

Because of Xbox's somewhat sub-par games in the past, Munch's Oddysee probably wouldn't have made the Xbox worth the buy except for diehard OW fans. But now, Xbox has a great (if maybe small) collection of games! At this point, anyone should buy an Xbox over a PS2. I have one warning, though. Prepare to be an outsider. I've got this "Nintendo fanboy" friend who I got in a fight with while trying to defend my beloved Munch.

11-17-2003, 03:44 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

I'm not making excuses for OWI simply because I love them. MO was not what it was intended to be. We know it.....they know it. Anyway, we all know MO could have been better, but I say it's best to have MO, rather than not. I will be looking forward to what OWI can do with a game when they're adequately prepared.

-oddguy

11-18-2003, 02:34 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Many of the first games out for launch time were rushed, and were ported from other systems whether it be pc or ps2, so they never got to fully take advantage of the Xbox's hardware.

Take a look games like MO and Halo that many people liked, had certain issues people complained about. They were rushed to meet launch dates. MO needed more time to become what it was envisioned, and even halo had multiple different style levels that did not repeat themselves like what was forced at the end, along with more weapons, enemies, etc.

This is another reason why I cant wait for the sequals for both Oddworld and Halo. Because both games are now using the full power of xbox.
11-20-2003, 04:59 PM
Fez
Outlaw Hunter

: Aug 2002
: UK
: 2,924
Fez  (22)

i wouldnt buy a console for the sake of one game. Get xbox as its the best, but dont get a console for one game. I got xbox for many games.

11-20-2003, 05:51 PM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

First, I only wanted to buy an Xbox because MO. I saved money, and waited for half a year, and at last! I've bought one. But Munch's Oddysee wasn't in the store then, so I choosed another game: Star Wars: Clone Wars (My other favourite is Star Wars next to Oddworld ). I really liked the game, it has soo good graphics and gameplay and everything. I played it everyday. Then I got other games and those were good too! Now, I still haven't MO, but it's only a matter of time...

So, I think it's worth it!

11-21-2003, 03:22 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

:
Originally posted by ferill
i wouldnt buy a console for the sake of one game. Get xbox as its the best, but dont get a console for one game. I got xbox for many games.
I originally was getting xbox when I first found out about it only for MO, and the other oddworld games. But of course months before release, I read about all these other games coming out for the system such as Halo, DOA3, etc. I also like the specs of the system a lot, and the fact that it had a built in hardrive too.
11-23-2003, 07:30 AM
moodokon man
Howler Punk

: Apr 2001
: South Africa
: 302
moodokon man  (10)

Sorry guys Im a playstation Junkie. Its all good caus I can borrow the OW games from my mates at school and play them. But otherwise I must say I prefer PS2 all the games are so great and there is such a big choice. I dont notice any graphics differences and all that so I would say buy a PS and Borrow the xbox when you wana play the OW games. Alot of the games that are on xbox are on PS2 anyway and games like halo are on PC so ya Im sure you get my drift.

11-24-2003, 02:36 PM
CarboN
Boombat

: Aug 2003
: A cave nearby
: 209
CarboN  (10)

I like xbx, but it doesn't have so much games that I'd buy.
11-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

Ok, some Xbox exclusive games (Splinter Cell and Halo mainly) got multi-platformed. But what did they sacrifice...
  • Superior Graphics
  • Superior Sound
  • Hardly any loading time
  • Xbox Live
  • Custom soundtracks (though they are rarely put in games :'()
  • four player mode
And there's probably more, but I'm too bitter to remember them.
11-28-2003, 12:50 PM
soulstorm49
Zappfly

: Jul 2003
: Vermont
: 9
soulstorm49  (10)

Isn't Sony under a class-action lawsuit or something? Half the people I know who own a PS2 have broken it. Now Sony wants us to pay extra for a network adaptor and hard drive when you can get that already on xbox! I have no love for Sony... But I'm still buying a PS2 soon. Final Fantasy!!!