06-21-2003, 03:20 AM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

: May 2003
: R'lyeh
: 1,255
TheRaisin  (10)
Mad Curse those corporate fiends!

Arrgh, I can't believe it! By making the next Oddworld game more shooting-oriented, they're taking away Oddworld's soul! I swear, if they ever make it a first-person-shooter, I'm takin' names! Lanning said in the X-Factor show on the Discovery Channel that he's moving away from under-dog heroes and puzzles to shooting and tough-guy heroes! Steef is going to have a crossbow! It's not Oddworld, I tells ya! It' wrong! Who's with me?!

06-21-2003, 05:58 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I think after such a dissapointment with MO, Lorne wanted to do something different that could broaden the scope of Oddworld. Lorne seems to follow what makes him happy, and I applaud him for that! It's hard to find a job ya like and Lorne seems like he's in da right place.
There are many different stories in Oddworld and this is just another path for us to explore. Lorne just said that he was done with underdog heroes FOR NOW.
I was a little dissapointed when I saw that it was trying to look more like the other games out there, with the view of yer weapon pointing at something to shoot; but I'm putting my trust in Lorne. I'm going to still buy the game, but I really like Oddworld for it's story and Oddness, I sure hope Lorne doesn't make it a first-person shooter like everything else. But I'm not judging just yet, I haven't even played this game so I'll see what I think when I unwrap da plastic and shove the disc in my Xbox!

06-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)

Your right! don't judge lorne he just wants us to have fun besides its not that big of a deal who cares if nobody likes the game lorne lanning just wants us to have fun really don't take this over board Lan the man just thinks of ways to make Oddworld ODD!sure Lorne lanning won't add Abe but Odd Is ODD!I'll get a X-Box get the game play the game and have fun.The point is that don't tell anybody about YOU'RE problem tell people some important stuff so i know youy guys are getting bored so thats that.

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

06-21-2003, 07:51 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I've got nothing wrong with Oddworld being semi-first person shooter. I don't really think Oddworld's soul lies in the main characters being at the bottom of the food chain, that just seems to be a hero-attribute of the Quintology. Similarly, Oddworld would get quite dull and boring if we just had puzle-solving situations and rescuing characters via bird portals and so on - not everyone will have the same story to tell. Oddworld's gotta be more interesting that the same basic story template, and like other people have said, this game will just be different from previous games.
06-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Scrubs
Stingbee

: Mar 2002
: Uk
: 81
Scrubs  (10)

Yeh i think having the game as a semi-shooter could be great as long as it is done in style, oddworld style. Just think you could be hunting all the different creatures on oddworld, that would be pretty good as long as it isn't all in first person!

I guess we just gotta wait now (december 2004) i hope we don't have to wait that long
06-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Apr 2001
: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

I hate FPS games, but I LOVE games that have FPS elements. For example Splinter Cell. Only when you draw your gun, it is like a FPS. All the other gameplay is 3th person action and puzzle. That's what I like, especially if all this is in a wonderfull, dark and lush world like oddworld.

Off course gameplay can be alternating. Muds in their village shouldn't be dark and lush. I may be happy and idylic (sp?).

06-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

well, lorne wanted to have a different oddworld for this game, that kind of filters into the life of more cool guys like bounty hunters and all, it's just different, and abe and munch will be back.

06-21-2003, 03:43 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

: R'lyeh
: 1,255
TheRaisin  (10)
Native I concede to the majority.

While I still harbor my own feelings about what Oddworld should and shouldn't be, I see the truth in your words. Lanning is the president of OWI, and Oddworld will, inevitably, be shaped by his will. I guess I was just a little shocked to see the first-person view of a crossbow shooting a bunch of little monster guys-- it looked more like Doom than anything else. But I think and hope that was just an idea that was vetoed. And heck, FPS's will always rule the gaming industry. Well, I guess all the hype and rumors is mainly speculation at this point, so we'll just have to wait and buy the game (which I will be buying either way).

Oddito, ergo sum! (I Odd, therefore I am)
Vive la Oddworld!
In the beggining, there was only Odd.

Which do you like better? I'm trying to decide on a new signature.
06-21-2003, 06:43 PM
OANST
Necrum Burial Grounds Moderator
Our worst member ever

: Jun 2003
: Them dark fucking woods
: 12,320
OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

You don't really want to play the same kind of game over and over again do you? with the same kind of characters? Oddworld is about being innovative and exploring a vast world. Not everyone in this world can or should be an underdog.

My bowels hurt.

06-22-2003, 07:40 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

well I have nothing against action parts... I would like something with: action, discretion, puzzles, adventure, discovering

06-22-2003, 06:18 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)
Happy

The more different the oddworld games are the easier it will be for OWI to find game elements that work well and are fun for the gamer. This game seems much more oriented to a larger audience, not just people who are already Oddworld fans.

In my opinion:
Abe games should be mainly stealth, "Splinter Cell" style gameplay.

Munch games should be more puzzle-solving oriented.

And this next game with Steef (from what I've seen) should be very action oriented.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!