Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

02-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)
Farewell

Late last night I was up in my room, everyone was asleep except myself and my father.

I heard the phone ring, and my father rush to pick it up before it woke up the house. I walked out of my room, to find him running up the stairs. I knew there and then, that it was about my grandmother, and that she had died. I asked him who it was, he said go back to bed. Then I said, "it's the nursing home, isn't". He said nodded, and entered his bedroom, and woke up my mother to bring her down to the phone.

After speaking on the phone my mother rushed up to her room and got dressed in something more suitable for going out.

I was asked to go back to sleep. However, I knew that my mother would need company so I got dressed and just followed her into the car. We drove to the nursing home, entered. And found my grandmother, lifeless. We stayed there for over an hour, we would have stayed longer. Though it was quite late, so the whole family and relatives are going for a viewing tonight.

My mother is now parent-less. Though when her father died, I was only six, and I didn't understand death at all.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

02-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

The only person in my family that I've ever expirienced the death of was my Granny, Gramdma, grandmother, whatever you'd like to call her.

I feel sorry for you, but sadly, since I haven't really had a loss before, I don't think I can relate... Best wishes though, and hope she never arises again as an evil zombie. Boy, bad place to put humor...
02-18-2003, 02:04 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

Wow Alcar that must be really sad for you. I had three grandparents die in my family and I was close to them aswell. My mother's side is gone and my father's dad is gone. So I only have like one grandmother left and she lives alone. I alweys visit her and she feeds me and sometimes I keep her company. But Its a really hard thing to grasp when your grandparents die especually when your close to them. I could remember the look on my Mom's face when she knew that her dad was going to die. And then a few years later My Mom's mother dies but when that happened in a way my Mother felt relieved because she knew they were in a better place. Then my other grandfather died and that really took me on surprise. What I like to say is stay close with your families they are the only ones you got.

Paramiteabe...

02-18-2003, 02:28 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

I'm feel really sorry for you Peter, the loss of a relative is always a sad thing... i feel angry at myself for thinking you're bludging school.... But i hope the best for you and your family.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

02-18-2003, 06:27 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

I'm sad to hear that.
It is always sad when someone in your family dies. My Grandad died a few years ago. Though it is difficult stay strong and you'll get through it.

02-18-2003, 06:34 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Oh I'm coping very well. I think I was one of the only ones that didn't cry, except for my father.

Curse me for being so stereotypical. I'm becoming everything I don't want to become. *sigh*

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

02-18-2003, 10:32 AM
BigBro
Howler Punk

: Sep 2002
: Some place
: 330
BigBro  (10)

That sucks, man. Id like to say sorry or I can relate or something, but I hate sounding patronizing. The only relative Ive had die in my lifetime was my grandparents dad, and I was 5 I think. So, like you, I didnt know what mortality was.

Two years ago, my best friend died, however. I didnt handle that well, but Im ok now.

A message to everyone, cherish every moment you spend with your loved ones...

02-18-2003, 11:31 AM
atusiya@
JPN-OWF Friendship Contractor

: Mar 2002
: Japan Okayama-city Okayama
: 794
atusiya@  (28)
I can not find the words .....

When someone loses a loved one who has meant so much to them, it's hard to know how to begin to express sympathy and words of comfort....
....and I imagine how deep the sorrow of your parents.

atusiya@'s father and my son..
Odd odd oddworld
Is Elum [" Dani Bunten 's M.U.L.E."] spelled backwards?
Abe's Oddyssey Hello Hello ~ Abe's Theme

02-18-2003, 10:56 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

It's always sad to lose a loved one for us but in reality I think it is better for a person to pass on. Religious beliefs aside, I think it would be better to just die than to experience more physical pain. I know this might sound sick, but it ism't supposed to. You should be happy that your grandmother is no longer in any sort of physical or mental stress.

Don't feel bad for not crying. I think deep down, those who don't cry are people who understand what I said above.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

02-19-2003, 01:56 AM
oddling
Clakker Relic Miner

: May 2002
: In my own little world
: 818
oddling  (10)

Ah Alcar I feel your pain. I lost two people...or creatures close to me. My great grandfather died when I was 7. Unfourtionatly I knew what death was at that age, so that didn't help much. In December, I lost my best friend in the world. My dog Zeus. He was the first dog I had that I was old enough not to attack it and pull it's hair out. He was always there for me when I was feeling down in the dumps, always there to bring a smile on my face. One day around christmas, we were helping to put lights around the house, and decided to let him out. He knew not to leave the backyard, and we trusted him. When it was time to go in, we called him. He didn't come. We searched hour upon hour until we got a call. My step dad picked it up and it was the humane society. He started yelling and ran out the door. He got in his car and drove off. When he got back, he said that Zeus ahd been hit by a car. A cop found him on the side of the road and read his tag. The next morning we found him up on the highway with a blanket over him. I cried the next 5 days until eventually mom made me go to school. After I was sent home after breaking out into tears in the middle of math, I went to the school counselor and he helped me. A few months later I still was in a bad condition, so mom got me a surprise. She came home with a 6 week old italian mastiff puppy, we later named Stregha, which I have no clue means. After Stregha, I started to get better, and I still have her till today. But she will never replace Zeus, who will always be my little puppy. So yes, I know what is like to lose someone or something near to you. Sorry for my droning story. I just wanted Alcar to know that there are others who feel his pain too. I hope things get better Alcar. May your grandma's spirit stay with you forever.

Oddling l:c l
"But why is the coffee gone?!!" Pillows of the Caribbean

02-19-2003, 02:08 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Even though I'm not religious, I believe that every living thing has a soul, and that there is some place we all eventually wind up.

I just think that most religions have sort of distorted it. I don't actually hate any religions (for those who might think I do).

And yes, I know. But not crying is such a male stereotype, and I'm trying to become very un-stereotypical. However, I do too believe that maybe it is best for them to die, end the pain and suffering. Although, my Grandmother really wasn't suffering.

She died of old age. My mother knew she'd die soon, as she had stop eating. She had given up the will to live, and thus she died peacefully at 10:10 PM, February 10th 2003.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

02-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Im really sorry to hear that Peter, I wish I could do something or relate but...well...I can't. Unless you count pet's deaths? If this is the case I know exactly how you feel. Your sad that your not crying and that everyone else is, you just can't seem to cry. You feel bad but at the same time not so bad. Stuff like that.........or I could be totally off, so I don't know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

02-20-2003, 01:36 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

:
Originally posted by Oddsville
Im really sorry to hear that Peter, I wish I could do something or relate but...well...I can't. Unless you count pet's deaths? If this is the case I know exactly how you feel. Your sad that your not crying and that everyone else is, you just can't seem to cry. You feel bad but at the same time not so bad. Stuff like that.........or I could be totally off, so I don't know...
No, thats it exactly

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

02-20-2003, 02:02 AM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

: Port Orchard, Washington
: 3,506
Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Though I often view death as a beautiful experience, even in it's worst form and element, it's never really an easy thing to deal with.

Though you seem to be doing a good job.

Fuck keeping your chin up, however. grieve. If you don't do it now, the next death in the family will hit you even harder.

Buy my T-shirts. People will like you more and I will hate you less.

02-21-2003, 10:49 PM
munchman
Clakker Relic Miner

: Unknown
: 886
munchman  (10)

sorry about your loss Alcar.