Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)
New Status Levels

We have now implimented the user status levels based on the number of posts you have.

This time around, we have a lot more levels than last time, so you will see a lot more different levels than previously. We have also added some different creatures ... Mudokons still remain, but also included are Sligs, Glukkons, Vykkers and Gabbits.

We hope everyone enjoys the new levels. Once again, we won't release what they are, but a Mudokon Shaman is no longer the highest, and the higest level is a lot larger than the previous 1000.

And please remember, keep your posts interesting and relevant. No Spamming (i.e. posting single topic posts, posting irrelevant posts). Our forums have now been linked to from Oddworld.com, and are an a more professional server... so we are going to run them in such a way.

But that said... this will still be a fun place to be... and a place for all Oddworld fans!!!

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-16-2001, 07:30 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Apr 2001
: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

Congrats! The new status levels are very funny. I already saw a few of them (Gabbit tadpoles and crawling sligs)
And I also noticed that there are 5 or 6 different status levels before even you reach the 100th post. Good work!
04-16-2001, 08:50 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

: NSW, Australia
: 643
Pacen  (23)

That's all well and good but why am I still a Mudokon slave? That's no good! According to some people, Mudokon slaves have their manhood chopped off! I better ascend before those nasty Glukkons realise they forgot about li'l ol' me!

Well I can't wait to see these new custom titles, but I don't wanna spam the board with TOO many useless, uninteresting posts. At the rate at which some fans post however, I'm sure we'll see these new ranks sooner than we all expect!
04-16-2001, 09:01 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

Hi, Pacen!
You are still a slave because your number of posts happens to be... of a slave, hehe. I noticed that people with around 10-20 posts are Gabitt tadpoles, and others with 60+ are already scrubs. I actually don't know how many status levels were implemented, but it seems to be a lot!
04-16-2001, 10:18 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

DOES THAT MEAN AFTER YOU PASS MUDOKON STATUS YOU GET GABBIT, SLIG ETC.

04-16-2001, 10:50 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

Pacen  (23)

Lampion why aren't you using MSN?

And Oddbodd; Gabbit Tadpole is BEFORE Mudokon Slave, wait and see for the rest.
04-16-2001, 03:22 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

the new sttus levels are cool. but i was wondering, are they used for anything or are they just there to look at?

04-16-2001, 03:23 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

It's just one of those fun featues of a forum. Many forums seem to have this kind of thing now days.

Where as they don't exactly mean anything as such (everyone here is equal)... the more posts you have, the higher your status level.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

04-16-2001, 04:10 PM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

: Tacoma, WA
: 456
Osiris The Fleech  (12)

I'm just a wothless slave.

Zorak: You don't want me to play ya to the desk?

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

04-16-2001, 11:16 PM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

Pacen  (23)

Not for long, once you reach 50 you'll become a mighty crawling slig! Doesn't sound so mighty though does it?
04-17-2001, 04:41 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

that number of posts thing at the bottom doesn't work properly! in one thred, the same guy posted at the beginning and end, and the 'number of posts' said 2 each time! how can that be?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

04-17-2001, 06:49 PM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

Ok, it's fun to look at, but it's a thing to mesure the quantity, not the quality. Not that my post are so important.....

Whatever... it's fun.

04-17-2001, 08:31 PM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

Pacen  (23)

The reason it says '2' after both posts is that their total number of posts after the post, for example after all my posts it should say about 80 at the moment but later today it might say 90 after all my posts because that's my total. It's like the way the signature and personal photo changes for every post, no just the posts made after the changes. Hope that makes sense.
04-18-2001, 11:12 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

What if you get to a status that you want to keep?

How do you first turn out a gabbit then get turned into a slig?

Why is there no angry fuzzle, they do get pretty angry?

04-18-2001, 12:20 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

The whole idea of status levels is that they keep changing... you are not able to keep a level.

It's only a bit of fun. Back in the old forum, we had some people wonder why we only got Mudokon levels... well this time around we made the levels cover a number of creatures. We put them in near to status level as possible... but they only change creatures to make it more interesting.

Also, we only chose the "major" Oddworld species... not the minor or non-intelligent creatures.

Abe Babe...

04-18-2001, 12:26 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)

Ok this is good. Now I know why I got Slig Worker
I´ll try to do no spamming.

04-18-2001, 07:53 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

i still don't understand why pacen had 2 in both, because he hadn't posted the 2nd when he posted the 1st, but he had posted the 1st when he posted the 2nd.

i think it wuold be cool if you could choose your species in your options, and progress in the ranks of that species.

04-19-2001, 01:55 AM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

Pacen  (23)

That would be very cool but also very difficult, and I think the admins have done enough already to keep us satisfied without wasting any more of their time.
04-19-2001, 07:17 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

that's true, i suppose. i hope they didn't think i was being ungrateful!

04-19-2001, 08:16 PM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

Hey Abebabe can you list all the status and the number of posts it takes? I wanna see all the new ones you have added. Or are they top secret?!? I LOVE FUZZLEZ, THER SO COOL!!!

04-19-2001, 11:08 PM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

Pacen  (23)

Dakkan: I don't think the admins want to reveal the new status titles at this time because they're supposed to be a surprise. I think it's cooler as a surprise anyway, it would be a bit boring knowing what the next status is all the time.
04-20-2001, 03:09 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

Cloverfield  (72)

At the moment it's not possible to have different species with different posting levels. I read about a UBB hack that was in development for that... so it may be something to consider in the future.

However, I guess the disadvantage for that is that you would only be able to gain a few different levels... like if you chose Vykkers for example, there are only 3 levels.

Some forums do list the levels that you can get, but we have decided at this point in time to keep them unlisted... that's part of the fun of it... you don't know what level is next!

And more changes to the forums coming soon... possibly this weekend.

Abe Babe...

04-20-2001, 03:33 AM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

Osiris The Fleech  (12)

Awwwwww, we gottat find out the hard way.

Spaceghost: When have we done that??!! We've never done it that way!! And if you think you're getting sympathy from the shark, well, then you're wrong!

04-20-2001, 10:19 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

Maybe we are already satisfied when you only list the number of posts you need to gain another status. So the status itself remains a surprise. Actually I don't mind if I know how much posts it takes to change, but I feel there are a few other members who have a little less patience, or am I wrong?

04-20-2001, 12:10 PM
Pacen
Boombat Seeker

Pacen  (23)

I'd prefer not to know until the change happens. No Spoilers!
04-20-2001, 12:27 PM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

What happens when people spam (mmmmmm spam) do they loose post or something?

04-20-2001, 04:50 PM
Godd
Stunk

: 44
Godd  (10)

What about having some interactive status?
you know, besides having yor status because of your number of posts, some members (the ones with the higher rank) will vote to give you some special status that no one else has.
That'll allow us to recognize each others singularities without losing the # of posts rank. Besides it'll be cool that having lots of posts gets you in a selected group, "the ones with vote", you know, like a supreme court or something hihi .
Besides we need nothing to do this, we could set the rules and have it done with honor; the top 10 members (counting the posts) form the voters, and when they give you a special status, you add it to your signature.
04-20-2001, 05:00 PM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

Ooh dear, I sense impending Coloured-name-gate the second... One board I frequent used to have colours as a status symbol - you could win a coloured name, and they were one of the ultimate status symbols - they showed you "belonged".
Then certain n*wbies decided it wasn't fair, there was a big fight and the mods disabled the colours altogether...

04-20-2001, 07:21 PM
Osiris The Fleech
Super Stingbee

Osiris The Fleech  (12)

All that over some colors. Jeez. I hope that doesn't happen here!

04-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

we may end up with all-out war between mudokon shamans and gabbit tadpoles!