Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

07-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)
Those who are music swapping happy may need to start watching their backs...

Apparently there is a bill that is being passed that will allow music companies to 'hack' into the computers of users who swap music through programs like Kazaa. Here is the link to the article on it: Music hackers

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

07-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Yes, I heard about that last night. Its not going to be passed, or so I hope, I find it unreasonable to think they would allow something like that to pass. *nervously looks around* If I did get rid of all my mp3s though, lets see.... WEll, over a gig, to many folders to go through and find out the exact space...
07-26-2002, 09:48 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

I don't think they are going to pass those laws either. "Majority Rules." Also, why spend seventeen bucks on a cd which you only like about one or tow songs?

07-26-2002, 09:54 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

Sl'askia  (10)

I heard that each CD only costs 75 cents to make...if that's true Music CD's are way overpriced...

07-26-2002, 09:58 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Dragadon
I heard that each CD only costs 75 cents to make...if that's true Music CD's are way overpriced...
What cheapskates! I did not know that. It's like clothes. Let's take pants for example The material is good but it cost less, and they want to charge 80 bucks for jeans, which it was cheap to make.

07-27-2002, 10:10 AM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

Haha. Like that's ever going to be passed...

Anyway, even if stupid America passes it (which it might, knowing Bush) they can't touch my files because UK voters are a little more intelligent than the US voters.
07-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Red
Bolamite

: Jun 2002
: Wheeeeee
: 70
Red  (10)

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

Anyway, even if stupid America passes it (which it might, knowing Bush) they can't touch my files because UK voters are a little more intelligent than the US voters.
Somehow I find myself in agreement with you exept for the "stupid America" comment..
But seriously would america agree to this kind of thing?
07-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Steve
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2001
: 456
Steve  (32)

I want it passed, just to see what the hackers would do to the web sites.

Your not just paying for the CD your paying for the recording, the copyrighting, the time spent wright and perfect it.
07-27-2002, 01:31 PM
dark_xinos
Grubb Fisherman

: Jan 2002
: Sweden
: 963
dark_xinos  (27)

*Makes me imensly happy I have ZoneAlarm, and a spyware free sharing program*

Im not worried.

So if they deside to view the peaples PC's, and not´what there downloading in the programs, then many peaple will get unessesary bills! Let's see now... I take a CD, and put in in my PC. I decode all the songs into MP3 format, so I can listen to my fav songs while playing games. Now there going to charge me for the music I already baught!? Then I will sue them.

Edit: Oh yeah, how about movie swaping?
07-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by Steve
I want it passed, just to see what the hackers would do to the web sites.
They wouldn't be hacking web sites, they'd be hacking personal computers.
07-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

Sl'askia  (10)

From what I heard they only can go after the peer to peer networks that are actively swapping music files like Kazaa.
I don't use any such program/network, so I am not worried.

07-29-2002, 06:06 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

I don't think the cost of cds is that outrageous.
Think about, its almost a dollar for the hard ware, then the companies need to spend time to produce, get new instruments, promote, set up tours, deal with endless hours of legal mumbo mumbo jumbo and contract squabbles, etc. And after all of that hard work the execs need to figure out a way to appear far but screw over the artist so that they barely make any money per cd! Then, the need to put in outrageous clauses, etc.
It will get passed. Remember, politicians are in it for the kickbacks and popularity. This kills two birds with one stone by making two faced people appear tough on crime and caring about a "free market"
This mofo will get passed though.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

07-30-2002, 09:19 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

LOL, that was a good laugh! That's a good one Gluk, nice joke.

But anyways they won't pass that law because alot of Americans use are money wisely and spending seventeen bucks on a cd with only one good song is not one of them. .

07-31-2002, 06:11 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

... Cds came out around the same price, they've never lowered it, only raised it. Music cds are the last thing to go on sale, if they ever. Thats why brainwashed fools that buy hundreds of cds think all those "5 for a penny (then you have to buy more later)" deals are so great. Anyways, if you people haven't noticed Cd lengths are getting shorter also, someitmes 30-40 minutes. Most older Cds of my dads are full, actualy worth the price. So this doesn't make sense, as the price goes up the length of the Cd goes down... The value of a dollar is going down that much, is it? Also theres lots of stupid chains like "Now" etc... coming out, jeebers that takes skill and time. Proven by the fact theres a new one out every 2 months... Anyway, its a whole lot cheaper to equip a cable modem, download and burn. I have a 9 hour mp3 cd burned, lets say the equivilent of 12 alblums, of which I could download all the mp3s in a month, and the price of a CD-R. 40$(cable modem price for a month)+(about for a CD-R).50$. 17x12= 204$. Its about 5 times more expensive to buy all 12 alblums, plus with the 12 alblums equivilent your could get more individual songs that you want, so quality of actual music tracks is not even close to matched.

I think they could stand to lower Cd prices a little, don't you? Or at least find a way to limit downloading, or make a law for fees on downloading. This is kinda like the current slump of Baseball in America, professional players are angry their 2,000,000$ salaries are not enough (just put cheerleaders to attract mroe fans for more money). Greedy bigots don't want to lower their profits a little.
07-31-2002, 10:05 PM
GTdragon
Spark Stunk

: Jul 2002
: Somewhere around California
: 394
GTdragon  (10)
OMG

OMG are you THE Dragodon??????

07-31-2002, 11:00 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

Sl'askia  (10)
Re: OMG

:
Originally posted by GTdragon
OMG are you THE Dragodon??????
Yes I am...why do you ask? You realize this post of yours is pure spam and is against the rules don't you? Please tread carefully...for obstruction of the rules can lead to getting you banned.

Back on topic:

Yes I do see what you mean Majic...I was listening to one of my Michael Jackson CDs (from back before he went nuts) and the songs were a hella of lot longer then they are today...shame...