Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)
Idea Realistic Levels

Hello there,

I just beat Munch's Oddysee on Angelic yesterday. Pretty cool. I LOVED the Vykker Suites level. It seemed very realisticly designed, with the experiment room and how you could look out the windows to see a huge blimp and the aution room with glukkons in it. It was one of the best designed levels in the game. But it seemed to me as if most of the levels were designed like game levels. (don't get me wrong, I loved the game)I think there should be more like the VS in the future. Does anyone agree with me?

06-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

well some canions and factories...
the factories looked pretty "natural" and the canians too.
I loved the level desing but the the big window with the blimp was realy great!

06-14-2002, 11:31 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

Splinters Manufacturing was realistic in ways too and it also reminded me of the slig Berreks or Saul Storm brewery in many ways. It was the lighting that reminded me of that. When you open that door way up on the rafters it opens up to another massive hallway that goes to the Glukkens office. And when your way over by the slig spawner in the first chamber you can see that room and you have this little row of puplish white lights that seem to go on forever. But when you get close it becomes more apparent that it's another large room that has a deep floor in it. That place is so cool. But I like the Vykkers Lab suites too when finnishing the game that does look pretty. Hopes for ME to be like that throughout the whole game.

06-14-2002, 12:07 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

There is no doubt that the indoor environments of MO were very good. They were incredibly detailed. The only problem with the levels, like Mac said, was that they were usually designed like "puzzles". I hope that in future games the levels will be more expansive, with rooms and platforms and stuff that dosn't need to be there for the game but is anyways. But this isn't to big of a deal, the indoor MO levels still rocked.

The outdoor levels on the other hand... need help. Every place I went looked exactly the same! And the foggy cliffs? Terrible. There are more creative ways to prevent a player from walking away from the main area. I want the outdoor levels to look more like the ones in AE and AO where the backgrounds actually look like they go somewhere. Slig Barracks is a good example, in the distance you could see countless crappy tents for the sligs living there. Like I said, in MO the outdoor levels needed more variety. And it wouldn't be to hard. Some desert, some forest and areas around new factories would be surrouned by tree stumps.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

06-14-2002, 06:16 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

I want to see those deep casems and the beautiful vistas of the Oddworld landscape like Necrum, that seem to be endless that we saw in the backgrounds from AO and AE. Could you imagine that in 3D? All I have to say is WOW. I was surprised that the Raisons cave wasant like that. In the concept art it looked AO or AE like.

06-23-2002, 04:07 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

My 2-cents that ruined the realistic feel is largely due to wells. Inside factories and around in specific places in levels jsut kinda made it seemed stupid. Its not like they would really be used by anyone but you, like everything was planned just for you. Foggy cliffs? What bull, it makes it like every single level is a huge cylindrical rock 200 feet in the air. Or a 20 foot ditch. The 3rd Vykkers level (forgot the name) just seemed rather stupid, especialy at the end. Minimal freedom or new ideas, and just how the game was for you and completely pointless and purposely designed to make others have little control over places they built. It doesn't make real sense for a real place...
06-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Very well said, Majic Abe. That's what I was thinking.

06-23-2002, 01:47 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)

I think the main problem with the levels in MO was that there were only two. Indoor and outdoor. I think that makes my point.

06-23-2002, 06:42 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
I think the main problem with the levels in MO was that there were only two. Indoor and outdoor.
And what sort of levels would you like? Updoor? Perhaps you'd prefer viadoor. I can't really think of many other settings.

But yes, Munch's Oddysee did seem rather refined in the outside levels. Sadly, the Oddworld Map seems to give the impression that much of Mudos is covered with this wilderness. However, the same map indicates that Munch and Abe ended the game above a lake - so perhaps we can look forward to some swampland, or some beautiful sandy beaches in ME.

06-23-2002, 09:55 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)

Yeah, what I meant was that there was little to no variety to the environments. I would like to see more deserts, some swamps (glukkons and sligs originated from them so they must be a key location), lush rainforests. Basically I would like more variety. My only disappointment in MO was that as you progressed in the game you usually just got more of the same, just arranged in a different way.

06-27-2002, 09:27 PM
Kaimana
Former OIPT CEO

: Jun 2002
: Hawaii
: 1,611
Kaimana  (11)
Oddworld

The indoor graphics were great and well spent on. However i did not find the outside settings to be to great.they all look alike. I wish they had spent more time on that. AE on the other handle was brilliant i loved there settings. The challenge now is to get that into a 3D enviroment like MO.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...rs/kaimana.gif

Kai the OIPT CEO *OIPT its what keeps the forums going*
Faith, Hope, and Love...the greatest of these is Love
1 Corinthians 13:13.......~Kai~