Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)
Question Slig Questions

Hello there!

I have a few questions and requests having to do with Sligs.

1) How do worker class Sligs change into Big Bro Sligs?

2) Do armored Big Bros have more powerful weapons than plain Big Bros?

3) Where do they work besides RuptureFarms?

4) Does anybody have Slig animations (preferably from side view) that I can use?

5) Do you have any Slig sounds?

I know these are stupid questions, but I really don't know the answers. Thanks in advance!

04-26-2002, 12:05 AM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

Hey Mac. Here's some answers.

1) Worker class sligs who really impress their boss (by not sleeping on the job for example) are sent to be pumped up with steriods. Their worth ethic doesn't get much better but they get a lot stronger when they are Big Bros.

2) Sometimes. It all depends on whos got more Moolah.

3) Anywhere the Glukkons tell them to.

4 and 5) Sorry I don't.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

04-26-2002, 03:28 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

here are the 4

the 5
http://www.teamxbox.net/munchaudio/machinegun.wav
http://www.teamxbox.net/munchaudio/punchkick04.wav
http://www.teamxbox.net/munchaudio/slig_getbeating1.wav

04-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Apr 2001
: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

if u have ao or ae just go to the slig speak page and tape the sounds and then put them onto the p.c.

04-28-2002, 03:08 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

Hey, good idea! But how do you get the Slig gamespeak on AO?

04-28-2002, 04:09 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

there isn't in AO, only in AE

04-28-2002, 07:37 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

Oh, Ok... that's what I thought... Thanks for all the help, everyone!

04-29-2002, 07:05 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

:
Originally posted by TheKhanzumer
1) Worker class sligs who really impress their boss (by not sleeping on the job for example) are sent to be pumped up with steriods. Their worth ethic doesn't get much better but they get a lot stronger when they are Big Bros.
*points at self* /me is a chemist. /me does not like that idea.

Steroids build muscle mass, not change bone structure (all steroids are are chemically altered testosterone). I know it's the official line, but hey, everyone can have an off day...

If it were me in charge of the biology end of the facts from OWI, I'd have said they were more like the "soldier class" of ant societies (That was what most people thought when OWI first introduced the concept any way, wasn't it?)

Narf.

04-29-2002, 02:44 PM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

: Scrabania (Germany)
: 316
pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

:
Originally posted by Teal

Steroids build muscle mass, not change bone structure (all steroids are are chemically altered testosterone). I know it's the official line, but hey, everyone can have an off day... ;)

If it were me in charge of the biology end of the facts from OWI, I'd have said they were more like the "soldier class" of ant societies (That was what most people thought when OWI first introduced the concept any way, wasn't it?)

Narf.
I always thought BigBro were a natural variation of slig. You are right - it would make more sense. I'm baffled why it's apparently steroids... hmm.

Slig question: Sligs: descendants of paramites? No one's saying they have natural eyes. The stuff they wear might be so they can see at all. Y'know, linked to the right part of the brain. That goes hand in hand with the question: How the heck do they look like under them masks? Anyone have a decent theory?

- Neike / TyA

"Don't be careful, be immortal!" - Noko 440
"Pain is the best all-purpose preservative" - Devoto
avatar + banner pic © 2001 tya/neike satana

04-29-2002, 04:31 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

well it's official they take steroids
but I tought they take the elite to give them stereoids...

04-29-2002, 07:48 PM
MudokonOddball
Sniper Wasp

: Dec 2001
: I forgot
: 285
MudokonOddball  (10)

:

Narf.
Heh heh heh...Zort! Poit!

Anyways, I think that the steroids were just an addition to an already existing enemy species, and maybe Lorne and the gang didn't want to unveil more than a couple of new bad guys in one branch of the series (ie Vykkers and Interns).

04-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

:
/me does not like a lot of recent things about Oddworld, but /me is not Lorne Lanning...

:
Steroids build muscle mass, not change bone structure (all steroids are are chemically altered testosterone). I know it's the official line, but hey, everyone can have an off day...
You want me to count the number of things on Oddworld that would be scientifically implausible on Earth? You want me to? Do you? Maybe the Vykkers developed new hormones, and just marketed them as a new type of Steroids...

:
I could write pages beginning "If it were me in charge of the [insert area] end of the facts from OWI..." It seems to me that the Caste System on Oddworld is more flexible than that of Ants, as it would need to be once Society developed, really...

Basically, we already know that ordinary sligs can be "promoted" to Bigbros. That particular fact is incompatible with your theories. I'd give up on this one, and concentrate on Sligs' Origins, which I think you gave up on too soon, in my opinion... After all, just because Sligs evolved from slug-like creatures, that doesn't mean that Native Sligs can't live in trees, now, does it? Humans evolved from rat-like creatures, and look at us now... In fact, ultimately, humans probably evolved from slug-like creatures...

Meh, went a bit off-topic there, sorry. Just pointing out that you needn't give up hope on your theories being true, even if information from OWI seems to contradict it...

Oh, except for Bigbros. Hmm... Shot myself in the foot there, didn't I?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

04-30-2002, 12:29 AM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)

Teal, I would tend to think that the fact that I used an official line would make it more believable. You do have a point though, but just because big bros are pumped with steroids dosn't mean they aren't given other growth hormones (such as for bones).

As for the whole tree climping theory. My opinion is that is sensible ( I have various reasons but I am to lazy to type them up).

P.S. I remeber someone getting mad about Glukkons originating from swamps since "obviously" they are built better for plains with their long legs. I actually think it makes since, think heron.

04-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

Teal  (10)

:
Originally posted by Danny
You want me to count the number of things on Oddworld that would be scientifically implausible on Earth? You want me to? Do you? Maybe the Vykkers developed new hormones, and just marketed them as a new type of Steroids...
*grates teeth* Nng! Hormones = steroids anyway (well, for the most part)! (I just had an evil workshop about cholesterol and steroids, so don't get me started... Squalene! urk...)! (Sorry, I think the chemist in me simply doesn't like that...)

:
Basically, we already know that ordinary sligs can be "promoted" to Bigbros.
...ugh...

:
I'd give up on this one, and concentrate on Sligs' Origins, which I think you gave up on too soon, in my opinion...
I know, hence why I didn't chase it much. I just ignored it, and carried on my merry little way, bulldozering what I didn't like out of the way as usual... (*points at her site, anyway* I didn't give up, I just went quiet. So narf)

:
Originally posted by TheKhanzumer
...just because big bros are pumped with steroids dosn't mean they aren't given other growth hormones (such as for bones).
*shrugs* Bones ossify (read - calcify and get hard) once a creature is adult. Osteoblasts and osteoclasts take aaaaaaaages to reshape a bone, and then I very much doubt that they'd reform to that extent (and we're not even considering internal organs, here...)

:

Oh, except for Bigbros. Hmm... Shot myself in the foot there, didn't I?
Don't you always?

04-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Hey, they have Teleportation on Oddworld, you know... The have Possession, and Magic-Tree-Growth Spells... Compared to things like that, simple advances in Biological Technology seem fairly tame...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

05-04-2002, 09:32 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)

I agree with Danny. Although I do think all things on Oddworld have an explanation, I don't think that the explanation necessarily has to be entirely scientific. Even in our universe their are things that can't be explained, no matter how much scientists try to break it down.

Teal, if you can except the fact that Abe can project his conscious mind into that of another creature's in order to control that being, surely you can except the fact that Bigbros are not a natural form of slig but are genetically enhanced by some strange growth steroid. Perhaps sligs don't have a skeletal structure like ours. Maybe they are held up by cartillage or a strange tissue that dosn't exist on Earth.

05-04-2002, 10:40 PM
oddguy 999
Thudslug

: 182
oddguy 999  (10)

If Sligs did evolve from slug-like creatures it would stand to reason that they dont have bones because slugs dont have bones...
I agree with TheKhanzumer - They probbly have some kind of starge tissue insted... Maybe they could have speical cells that have cell walls (like plants, and inparticular wood) which would make them hard (Animal cells have only a membrane so they are soft). This would probbly be even better then bone since it could grow and heal faster then bone ever would and since some woods are harder then steel it could be stronger then bone as well... But thats only a theory...

... For all we know sligs may have no bones or anything naturly and the Vykkers insert metal joints ect. when the Slig is still young (Like a great big artifisal hip transplant).
05-05-2002, 10:30 AM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

:
Hey, they have Teleportation on Oddworld, you know... The have Possession, and Magic-Tree-Growth Spells... Compared to things like that, simple advances in Biological Technology seem fairly tame...
I know possession is possible in real life. Don't see why the other wonders of Oddworld shouldn't be explainable too. Not that I'll bother diong that, I much like having mystery behind Oddworld, but I suppose if I get bored... *grin*

- TyA

05-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Here's a question...how the heck do sligs stay in their pants? Big Bros I can see...they have some sort of harness that may be attached to the back of the pants. The sligs in AO and AE I can see too, those wires coming out of their masks and into their pants could have provided the same support. But what about the sligs in MO? They lost that supportive wiring. They are too 'top heavy' realistically stay in them without something keeping them from falling flat on their faces...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

05-05-2002, 12:41 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

What do the Sligs in MO look like?

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

05-05-2002, 01:07 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)

I think that they hold themselves in by wrapping their "tail" around a bar inside the pants. Also, the pants actually don't hold them in that well in MO, as is obvious when the Valet falls out of his pants at the end.

05-05-2002, 01:30 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Toast felt out his pant at the end of AO too
a tradition by OWI: Sligs who jumps out they pant when the loose

05-05-2002, 01:47 PM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

:
Originally posted by Xavier
Toast felt out his pant at the end of AO too
a tradition by OWI: Sligs who jumps out they pant when the loose :D
Maybe it's reflex. 'Let go of everything and run for your life' when trouble comes. Of course, it'd have to be instinct/reflex, as it certainly isn't logical for a slig, considering their speed in pants compared to without. *l*

- TyA

05-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

hmmm
remember in AE when the brewery explode:
a slig crawling and yeling: pants, pants, I need pants

an inteligent Slig ?

05-05-2002, 01:52 PM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

:
Originally posted by Xavier
hmmm
remember in AE when the brewery explode:
a slig crawling and yeling: pants, pants, I need pants

an inteligent Slig ?
Nah, a slig that isn't holding onto something when it gets panicked doesn't have to let go of anything. Two seconds later brain goes 'You know, you're faster with pants!' and then it goes click and the slig tries to get some! Makes sense to me.

Or maybe it even leapt out of its pants before, and lost them in a frantic crawl, not knowing where they were, thus looking for a new pair?

- TyA

Edit: Oh, and reflexes + instincts have very little to do with intelligence or the lack of it. Intelligence isn't going to stop you from closing your eye when something is headed for it. ;)

05-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

your theory make sense, I like it
so Sligs jump out there pant when they realy panic or feel danger
and then they realise it wasn't a good idee.

Oh yeah, slig and they room temperature IQs

05-05-2002, 02:12 PM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

I've just thought about my theory a little more.

Maybe sligs are good burrowers? So they drop to the ground and try to bury themselves. It would also make sense, since sligs have greatly muscled arms and relatively short fingers.

That'd be the reason they have the instinct, then.

Too bad you just can't dig into metal. *snickers*

- TyA

05-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

since slig came from the swamps it's possible
maybe it's the cause of the tentacules near the mount

05-05-2002, 03:39 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Sligs as burrowers...never thought of that one...it would make sense. (after all...I have a species of Drakkic that are burrowers...)

Zig: oh hell no you are not making me get off my tree!

Chill Zig...I am not going to change anything in fic...

Zig: good

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

05-06-2002, 08:21 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

Teal  (10)

:
Originally posted by Dragadon
(after all...I have a species of Drakkic that are burrowers...)
*stares, then merely shakes head in disbelief*

Can't see burrowing working, myself. And I don't care how un-scientific things might be, the steroids-and-suchlike theory is jarring! (*chemistly mutterings*)

And no, I'm not letting go of any theories that easily...