03-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)
Polyamory

Do you think it's possibble? If so, why? If not, why not?

It turns out that I'm the only one in my class (1 or 2 years ago) who thinks it's possibble to love more than one person at a time, well, the only one to put their hand up when the teacher asked us.
<rant>
My Personal Developement/Personal Social etc blah blah blah Education (the name of the subject changes every year) teacher didn't know the difference between polyamory and non-monogamy! They expect me to learn something from and respect someone who doesn't know the difference between two very different things! (I still respect her, she was a very good teacher - my best PD teacher ever)
</rant>
03-01-2002, 07:17 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: Apr 2001
: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

Well technically we all love more then one person...we have our family members as well as our mates, plus to a certain extent our friends as well. Plus most of us already love one person other then friends and family by default IMO: ourselves. I mean...in order to love someone else you kind of need to be able to love yourself right? Just me opinion...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

03-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

There was an interesting discussion about this on the Culture Mailing List the other week... Someone mentioned a Documentary where they went around looking at various Polyamorius/Polyamoratary/whatever couples. Apparently, there were loads of working ones. There was also a study done of Open Relationships, Cheating, Polygamy, etc. It was most enlightening...

Can't remember much of now, though...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

03-01-2002, 10:21 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

Some people are slutty enough to do it! LOL j/k.

Really, It could happen. if you break the word up "Poly" many "amor" (spanish) means love.

Dan, you look like Elton John! I just noticed that.

Last edited by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR; 03-01-2002 at 02:36 PM..
03-01-2002, 10:27 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

hm, the one person i like like doesnt like me anymore, its actualy quite distressing. although its just kind of human nature to notice others of the oppisite sex, in my opinion there kind of 2 types of love. the family kind, with sentimental values and what your are atachted to, and the kind where its more of a freindship or realationship as bf/gf. even the family thing can be broken down into a best friend type person, that you talk to and just get along with, and who you live with. i actually soemwhat hate myself, i dotn exactly love my brother he just seems like friend i share the house with. in fact, i guess im rather disconnected with paretns and all in general. i live a messed up life.....
03-01-2002, 10:34 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

Drunk

It kinda nasty also. Sometimes people end up dating their uncles, aunts, fathers, mothers and even their own grand-parents!!! That was on a talk show before. A mother was dating her son.

03-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

some peoples minds think differently, we jsut cant call others emotions dumb or gay just because they are different. now that i think about it, we all have causes for what we like and feel so i guess its just possible for stuff liek that to happen. we cant really balme them, can we?
03-01-2002, 10:39 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Majic_Abe
some peoples minds think differently, we jsut cant call others emotions dumb or gay just because they are different. now that i think about it, we all have causes for what we like and feel so i guess its just possible for stuff liek that to happen. we cant really balme them, can we?
For dating your own son?!?!

03-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

well, that might be a small exception..... ok, a big one. well, there are always things that dont fit in. but mother and son? it COULD b e possible if like the son grew up not with his mother, then just met her and they were in love.but if it was known and stuff, thats a little wierd...... (dont call me a hipocrit, im just stating thats rather unusual, ok, really unusual...)
03-01-2002, 10:45 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Majic_Abe
well, that might be a small exception..... ok, a big one. well, there are always things that dont fit in. but mother and son? it COULD b e possible if like the son grew up not with his mother, then just met her and they were in love.but if it was known and stuff, thats a little wierd...... (dont call me a hipocrit, im just stating thats rather unusual, ok, really unusual...)
They were having sex and everything. They were caught on tape too in bed. Here's what the tape said:

Son: Mom, you melt the butter on my bread. You make me feel saucy inside!

Mother: Mmmm, your so grounded (in a sexy voice)

And then they were kissing.

03-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

Could someone tell me exactly how the discussion got from Polyamory to Incest? I think it was somewhere around the Pinky area, but I couldn't be sure...

03-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
It kinda nasty also. Sometimes people end up dating their uncles, aunts, fathers, mothers and even their own grand-parents!!! That was on a talk show before. A mother was dating her son.

This must be a record! From polyamory to incest in one post! You never cease to amaze me!

If you want to talk about incest in this topic you can as long as it's an interesting argument.
03-01-2002, 10:50 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

This must be a record! From polyamory to incest in one post! You never cease to amaze me!

If you want to talk about incest in this topic you can as long as it's an interesting argument.
Incest? Nope, not in my vocabulary. Oh well.

Did you read my post?

Gluk: Nope!

Okay! What I meant was, sometimes you can love someone not related to you, and someone else not related to you. Dating someone related to you is nasty. Why not date the person who does not have your blood?

BTW, Polyamor is not in the dictionary!! Bwahahah!

03-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

o my, those people probaly have mental illness or something. thats honestly not right, not right at all.....
03-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Okay! What I meant was, sometimes you can love someone not related to you, and someone else not related to you. Dating someone related to you is nasty. Why not date the person who does not have your blood?
What people meant by "Loving their family", was the kind of, well, Familial love that everyone feels for their family. Have you never been told by your parents that they love you? This might explain some things...

03-01-2002, 11:00 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Danny
What people meant by "Loving their family", was the kind of, well, Familial love that everyone feels for their family. Have you never been told by your parents that they love you? This might explain some things...
Um Yeah..I knew that. I was talking about the other love.

Yes, I have been told that my parents love me! All the time!

03-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

i find love to be a very touchy word, i mean its so strong yet people can use it as if its just a weak type thing. if you "love" somebody, you would have to be contented the rest of your life with them. "like" is more of the term i like to use, like for personal relationships and such. its just odd how people can think of the same words as different strengths, even without having the word even relate to emotional feelings.
03-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Melvin:squeeking paramite

: Bottom
: 879
Melvin:squeeking paramite  (12)

I think it's possible for someone to love more than one person... I'm sure there are people who think they are already in love, but there is truly another person who they can love just as much. (And at this point in my post, I mean out of your family love) How is it possible to find only one person who you love? I just don't think that's possible... (If their is really such a thing as love, really...)

If you mean all forms of love, then this is definitely a possibility! Love for your family(not incest!), love for your mate, love for your pet (Not bestiality!) .... And, of course, I believe that you can love more than one person who you think you are in love with.. (if this makes sense!)

As for incest (which was somehow dragged in here), I think it is just creepy and weird.. I don't know what else I can say about it, though... I just can't see having sexual attraction or true love of any one who is blood related... But, you know, in the 1800's, people maried siblings and cousins all the time! Edgar Allan Poe married his cousin...
03-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Um Yeah..I knew that. I was talking about the other love.
Well, why did you have to bring it up, then?

03-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

well, technicly you can be in love with more than one person, though it would seem akward to have it be at the same time, but no one can have full control over their sub concious or even concious emotions. some people have a more high tolerable rate of self control, others just cant control what they are thinking.
03-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

I think that there is the perfect person out there for everyone... whether you meet that person or not, you have to see. But usually when you find that person you know it. You know that they are your other half.

This is the problem with many in society now days... they don't wait for the perfect person, but they marry someone who looks good, is good in bed, or they just get along with. Thus why many marriages end in divorce. The two people are not the ideal couple that they thought they were. So one partner might cheat on the other because they are 'bored' with their partner, or attracted to another person. Or perhaps they just don't get along anymore. If you really were meant for that person, then you would never have a need to cheat on them. Although there is also the case that one might get married early, and then find their perfect partner later on.

Therefore, I don't think that you can "be in love with" two people at once. You may think that you are if you are cheating on your partner or something like that... but in the true sense of the word, you really cannot have that true love with more than one person.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

03-01-2002, 11:21 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Well, why did you have to bring it up, then?
Um, I already answered that.

03-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

i still get mad at myself, my old gf said she never thought i really liked her *sob*. now im stuck all alone, im blocked on aim and dont get to even talk to her much at school. such a shame, my life shall be destined to misery and even if i may not be with her my heart always shall... hm, that sounds wierd, wahtever...
03-01-2002, 11:25 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:

Um, I already answered that.
No you didn't. You said:

:
Incest? Nope, not in my vocabulary. Oh well.

Did you read my post?

Gluk: Nope!

BTW, Polyamor is not in the dictionary!! Bwahahah!
, but that didn't explain why you brought the subject up anyway, since no-one else had said anything to do with it...

03-01-2002, 11:29 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:

No you didn't. You said:

, but that didn't explain why you brought the subject up anyway, since no-one else had said anything to do with it...
*rolls eyes* Yeah I already told you. read it again if you don't understand. Anyways, why do you make it such a big deal?

03-01-2002, 11:34 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

I'm not making a big deal. I'm just curious as to why you brought up Incest when it has nothing to do with Polyamory?

Next you'll be talking about Bestiality or something...

03-01-2002, 11:37 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
I'm not making a big deal. I'm just curious as to why you brought up Incest when it has nothing to do with Polyamory?

Next you'll be talking about Bestiality or something...

So? Who cares. Your making it such a big deal. Why are you such a mystic? Yeah it did had something to do with the topic "polyamor". Love your mom and your classmate at the same time. Duh.

Last edited by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR; 03-01-2002 at 03:40 PM..
03-01-2002, 11:42 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

oops, double posted.

Loving you relatives in a relationship way Dan. Not the other love.

03-01-2002, 11:45 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
So? Who cares. Your making it such a big deal. Why are you such a mystic? Yeah it did had something to do with the topic "polyamor". Love your mom and your classmate at the same time. Duh.
A Mystic? What are you talking about now?

Anyway, Quorisha, why do you use that as a connection when you know that we're talking about Physical Love, and that that is nothing to do with Platonic Love...

03-01-2002, 11:49 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
A Mystic? What are you talking about now?

Anyway, Quorisha, why do you use that as a connection when you know that we're talking about Physical Love, and that that is nothing to do with Platonic Love...
Yeah sure whatever...

Back to Polyamor.