Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

: is the nestle yoghurt add racist or not?
yes 4 36.36%
undicided 4 36.36%
no 3 27.27%
: 11.

02-13-2002, 08:52 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2001
: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)
"NESTLE YOGHURT...YUMMMM" racist or not?

i feel that it is racist....i dont know why they cant make christian jokes but they can make fun of hindu's (BTW, im not basing my facts because im sri lankan....im christian anyhoos) i just find that add to be disturbing and stupid and any people who quote it at school is just lame flucks

02-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)
Huh?

Considering not everyone here is in the same country you could tell us about the advert...
02-13-2002, 10:57 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I thought the same thing. It might be interpretted as racially insensitive by people from India or Hindus.

For those who haven't seen the ad Oddbodd is referring to, it's an ad for yoghurt. An Indian Guru says "Yummmmmmmmm" after eating the yoghurt as though he was chanting. He also says with an over-done Indian accent "You want to know the meaning of life? Look it up in the dictionary!"

There've been previous ads with the same character. I wonder if the actor is Indian himself, or if he's a white person wearing make-up and a wig/beard.

02-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

: Dec 2001
: Turku, Finland
: 492
Fazerina  (22)
Native

We don't have the ad here so I haven't seen it. But from what Syd told it sounds racist to me. But I boiqot Nestlé anyway for their actions a few years back..
02-13-2002, 06:46 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Normally (and to my shame) I am usually the first to cry "Racist!" at anything that could be interpreted as racist. In this case, however, I simply couldn't care less. Adverts are not a big part of my life. They are all pretty shit (with the exception of most Beer Ads), and I don't watch them anyhows...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-13-2002, 06:48 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Dude, even I don't know what your talking about! I'll keep an out for oppressive yogurt, though...
02-13-2002, 08:56 PM
MunchOnThis
Clakker Store Clerk

: Feb 2002
: Thames Wharf...(under the church) ^_^
: 757
MunchOnThis  (10)
Native Racist Yogurt????

Racist Yogurt????!*shrugs shoulders* I have never heard of it and I dunno what you are on about,but I still voted.

"Won't somebody testify, kick a hole right in the sky..
Testify, testify kick a hole right in the sky
Slap a liar in his eye, kick a hole right in the sky
Tesify, testify kick a hole right in the sky
Johnny, Johnny Johnny..."
~ RHCP, Johnny kick a hole in the sky

Last edited by MunchOnThis; 02-15-2002 at 01:53 AM..
02-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

I have an image in my head of a gang of Strawberry Yoghurts in red robes and hoods going around lynching the Blackberry Yoghurts...

02-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Surfacing
Clakker Relic Miner

: Oz
: 887
Surfacing  (10)

To be truthful, i laughed when i first watched that add, it can't really be that raciest if the guy who acted as the yoga teacher was actual of hindu background himself, if it was that raciest they probebly would have gotten a non hindu non indian person to act as the yoga teacher.
02-14-2002, 03:44 AM
Wolfpac
Hoodie Patrol

: May 2001
: Take a Seat!
: 800
Wolfpac  (11)

Now this is the problem with the world now days. We can't have fun. It's just an ad. But because it might offend a few people it becomes racist. Can't anyone take a joke sometimes? I mean if there is an ad with a woman with large breasts then that thing becomes sexist. Now she might not say anything, but it's sexist. At what point in Human Society did we become so stuck up.

Doesn’t anyone know how to take the piss out of themselves anymore???

02-14-2002, 04:43 AM
Surfacing
Clakker Relic Miner

: Oz
: 887
Surfacing  (10)

I know this does not have much to do with the topic, but wolfpac why do you have an avatar for NWO black and white 4 life when actually "Wolfpac" is red and black 4 ever?
02-14-2002, 06:14 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

im just saying, if you cant have catholic jokes on adverts why can you have hindu adds?

02-14-2002, 10:25 AM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by ODDBODD
im just saying, if you cant have catholic jokes on adverts why can you have hindu adds?
Is there a law against Catholic ads?
02-14-2002, 03:45 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

Is there a law against Catholic ads?
No, but the Catholic community is larger and louder than the Hindu community.

Has anyone seen that hillarious ad for Sunsilk Shampoo where the woman sits down at the table with a man sitting across from her as a girl with really shiny hair walks by. You hear the woman at the table's thoughts: *Wow, her hair is really shiney*. Then the guy at the table says out loud "Wow, look at her gorgeouth shiny hair! She mutht uthe Thunthilk extra-shine shampoo!" Then the woman at the table thinks *Is this guy a mindreader? Hmm, I like the look of him, I wonder if he's--* Then he interrupts her thoughts: "Yeah, thorry, I am." Meaning he's gay.. hehe.

02-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

Basically, the way it seems to work at the moment is that you can't make fun of Black People unless you're Black, White People unless you're white, Women unless you're a Woman, etc...

Basically, for the moment, I think this is a fairly good way to judge things. In the future, however, Racism will not exist in a serious way (we're getting there already), and so I think Racist Jokes would probably become more acceptable, since you could be fairly sure that nobody would take them seriously. It's already starting to happen with Sexism - you can hear guys making sexist jokes (against women), you can tell they're not serious, and girls laugh at them, and then tell another sexist joke (against men), and the guys laugh. People are getting more and more comfortable with jokes about this kind of thing as there become less and less people who seriously think like that...

I rambled a bit there, but I think I made sense...

02-14-2002, 06:35 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

:
Originally posted by Danny
Basically, the way it seems to work at the moment is that you can't make fun of Black People unless you're Black, White People unless you're white, Women unless you're a Woman, etc...
Yeah, but not everyone's going to follow that... There's some black people up here in the city who make fun of white people so bad and the white people don't do anything about it.

02-14-2002, 07:25 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Originally posted by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Yeah, but not everyone's going to follow that... There's some black people up here in the city who make fun of white people so bad and the white people don't do anything about it.
I know not everyone sticks to those rules, since there are still Racists around, but those are the basic rules by which Racism and Sexism etc are judged by others. Or at least, they are around here...

07-06-2002, 05:21 PM
dark_xinos
Grubb Fisherman

: Jan 2002
: Sweden
: 963
dark_xinos  (27)

How in the heck can chocolate yogurt be racist??
That does not compute!
07-06-2002, 05:23 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2000
: upside down in a toilet bowl
: 1,552
One, Two, Middlesboogie  (10)

Read the bloody topic, DX. The advert is racist (or can be interpreted as such), not the product.

07-06-2002, 07:54 PM
dark_xinos
Grubb Fisherman

: Jan 2002
: Sweden
: 963
dark_xinos  (27)

Okay! I have read it now, and im ever so truly sorry for posting in advance. (Dont take this offensive in any way, cuase I hate it when I get acused for something that I dident tryu to commit).

Speaking of racist adds, have you seen that cruel add on CNN, where a Amerikan guy goas to Greece, and the hotell is rotten, and when he is at the resturant he gets a menu, and he turns it to see if the letters get better, bu the whaiter turns it back, (mening that they dont have anything in english...) and everything sucks. And then they show this perfect expencive hotell, and say something like: 'Atleast with uss you know you will get a good deal'.

Argh! That angers me! Stupid (some) Americans!, thinking everything that is differnet is crap, and are affraid to try anything new. Im half Amarican ya know...
*room goas quiet*