Algost
Zappfly

: Oct 2017
: France
: 7
Algost  (26)
Oddworld Oddworld but in French

Hi everyone

As many people know here i come from this beautiful country that we call "France" ! This topic has for purpose to show you the world of Oddworld but in French, i know you don't understand it but i think it can be nice to just see other languages and the difference of translation and meaning, because there is a lot of little things that change from French to English and vice-versa !

I will maintain this thread up-to-date that you don't have to scroll all the page to see the content.

So 1st video is all the cinematic of Exoddus but in French, here his the video :

https://youtu.be/VyNjWvW9mMg

Here the English version that i will use to compare :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9P6QC6LK68

it goes without saying that it's for me the best version because it's the one that i grew with !

Here is the little change that i notice betweend english and French :

1) I work hard, at least in English

At the boiler scene in the english version we have a little cut on one Glukkon who say "I work hard, i work hard !"
We don't have this in French (at least not the PC Version) and for me it's was the 1st time that i discover this, during the editing i was "da fuck, why it's not sync anymore between my image and my sound ?!" it's because of this 5 seconde ^^

Because i use the image of "oddworld Exoddus the movie" but i remplace the sound by the French version.

2) Twice the change
Before that the Brewmaster die in the explosion he said :

"ITZ NOT FAIR
WE HAD TWIZE ZE FLAVOUR"

in French we have :
"C'est pas juste, ont avaient tous ce qu'ils nous fallait !"
or if you prefer : "It''s not fair, We had everything we needed !!"

That mean that the subject of "Twice the flavor" is delete of the French version ! Actually it's when i saw this image :
https://i.imgur.com/eM0F69W.png

At the EGX i was "okay everyone seem knowing this, why not me ?!" and today i know why

Maybe you will tell me that there is the scene of the tears between the brewmaster and the slig, but when in English they use the word "Flavor" in French they used the word "delicious aroma, rich, velvety and without bitterness"

Also the brewmaster in French don't lisp

3) Little translation.
this one is just a modification of the text but i like it so i share it, it's in the cutscene when we see the 3 directos and the General say : "Screw you Asglig You ain't running nothing !!"

But in french at the timecode : 11:49 that the translation become "Shut up Aslig you have no power !!" i found that funny.

4) The Magog difference !

Well so you all know that M.O.M is for The Magog On the March they keep the same acronym for French but to have a sens they have the change fiew word that it fit good so it's become :
"Le Magog En Marche" it's has the same sens but they can't find a word that stat my the letter 'O' to keep the same sens ^^

And i know you want to know the translation of this :

"News You Need
News You Can't Abuse
News You Can Use
News You Won't Lose
News For Your Blues"

So it's become :

"Les infos qu'il vous faut !" Which you can translate by "News you need" it's the same sens but if i translate litteraly it's more like "
The information you need!"

"Des infos pas démago !" --> "Information not demago" demago is for demagoguery tell me if you don't understand this one.

"Des infos pas du pipeau !" "News who are not fake !" if i had to translate this i should say that, "c'est du pipeau" is a french expression to say that someone lie to improve himself.

"Des infos qui donnent chaud !" "Information that gives hot!" This one may have no sens but i will explain just after the 5th why it's has.

"Des infos qui font froid dans l'dos" "
Information that is cold in the back"

In the French version they chose to do always a rhyme in intro of M.O.M that why maybe it's sound maybe strange but in reality it's okay and funny ! I remember when i was kid i was "okay which rhyme is next ? Surprise me !"

That all for this video and explaination, sorry for the mistake in the topic, i hope you enjoyed reading this topic and next video and explaination will be on the gamespeak i think, to see and hear the voice of Abe but in french !

Last edited by Algost; 10-25-2017 at 09:22 AM..
10-25-2017, 11:59 AM
leocrow
Fuzzle

: Aug 2005
: Ioannina, Greece
: 141
leocrow  (36)

Nice work, thank you for sharing it!

10-25-2017, 06:46 PM
SlashClaw
Fuzzle

: Aug 2016