03-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Against all OddSocks
Chippunk

: Mar 2015
: UK
: 21
Against all OddSocks  (63)
Happy Console Wars.

I recently purchased a book entitled console Wars by Blake Harris, after seeing a mention in retrogamer magazine and reading several reviews online, with segments at the beginning from seth rogan and Evan Goldberg. This is a fantastic and enjoyable read (I haven't even finished it yet, as it's 558 pages!) as it's a great insight into the boffins at sega and Nintendo during the 90's and the evolution of video games and the rise and fall of Sega. The back reads:

"in 1990 nintendo had a near monopoly on the video game industry. Sega, on the other hand, was a faltering arcade company with big aspirations and even bigger personalities. But that would all change with the arrival at sega of Tom kalinske, a man who knew nothing about video games but everything about fighting uphill battles. His ruthlessly unconventional tactics, combined with the bold ideas of his renegade employees, transformed sega and eventually led to a David and goliath showdown with rival nintendo.
The battle was vicious, relentless and highly profitable, a conflict that pitched brother against brother, kid against adult, sonic against Mario, and the US. against Japan."

Has anybody else read this book? What are thoughts on it? Personally I found it thoroughly enjoyable so far, as I remember all the hype and school playground arguments over who owned the better system, growing up in the 16 bit era with my sega megadrive (or genesis) being my weapon of choice aha, which led to my love of games which I have today, although sadly the market isn't the good old hysteria it once was, ah, the glory days? I highly recommend this title for anybody who loves retro gaming and gaming in general .
03-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Shade667
Clakker Store Clerk

: Sep 2014
: Australia
: 795
Shade667  (196)Shade667  (196)

I might check it out in the future.
500 pages is a little small though.
Patience is a virtue.

03-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Against all OddSocks
Chippunk

: Mar 2015
: UK
: 21
Against all OddSocks  (63)

I don't have alot to compare it too, I thought it quite large haha, then again, I am a small guy, probably the scale

Still tho, very enjoyable read, with cool information too.