08-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Oziah
Fuzzle

: Nov 2013
: Oddworld
: 113
Oziah  (103)Oziah  (103)
Idea NnT/AO Comparison and Critique

Interesting video regarding the changes made for New 'n' Tasty and how it compares to Oddysee.

Whilst he seems to have a fairly negative opinion about the game, are there points you guys strongly agree or disagree with?

It's long, but well put together and thought out (not defending his views necessarily, just saying! )

http://youtu.be/QkhDrngAQZ0

Thoughts?
08-27-2014, 03:59 PM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

This makes me sad...because he brings up some valid points. Don't get me wrong I'll fucking look over all these problems because I love the damn series to bits and I know how hard JAW worked (and because I'm a disgusting fanboy), but I see what he's saying and from what I see I kinda agree with him in the points he does make.

Last edited by STM; 08-27-2014 at 04:21 PM..
08-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

I've talked about this in length elsewhere. But two points he gets wrong are the Slig visors. Single visor Sligs do appear in the game and Sligs lean to one side which cancels out the pedantic vision issues he raises. Plus there are people out there who like the pilot mask Sligs so having both in the game is a fair compromise.

The second thing is the ads. Although their execution is certainly up for debate it's odd that Matthew didn't research his biggest issue with the game when he dug up quotes from Matt Glanville and Paul O'Connor. The idea that those ads betray the message of Oddworld and demonstrate hypocrisy doesn't ring true. But we've obviously had a whole thread dedicated to this issue and the best criticism for the ads, I think, is that they clearly didn't work for everyone. And there might be a problem if some people, like Matthew, are misinterpreting them as shameless rather than the indies banding together - which was the message Lorne intended. And I don't see his point about using a more popular title to promote your own smaller title since that seems to be part of the point - Lorne using his more popular brand to help promote small indie titles. Also, I don't see anything wrong with Lorne & OWI letting JAW & Matt include their own indies in this list considering they were instrumental in bringing Oddworld back to life.

In regard to visuals perhaps the bloom is a little too much at times, from what I've seen, but the idea that NnT is a serious visual downgrade is silly I think. Certainly some areas look better in the original but NnT has areas that are far more impressive visually. The Monsaic Lines in particular. But this is all going to come down to personal taste. I miss the super dark shadows, the grimness in certain areas of RF but, at the same time, there are areas, even in RF, that were very impressive despite not falling in line with the visual bible. Also, Matthew did showcase perhaps the most visually interesting areas of RF when, I feel, there are some really generic screens (particularly in Zulags 2-4) that look better in NnT.

But, even with that, the visuals of NnT have been the most consistently lauded aspect of the game so the idea that JAW would abandon everything for the Exoddus remake based on this critical review seems ridiculous to me. However I do think there's a better balance that could be struck since there are many fans who would love to see more of those aesthetic elements brought forward more.

I agree with him on some of his more nitpicky points though. Fast animations in particular and the repetition of idle dialogue (which can get annoying in every game that has it). In that instance more unique dialogue would be better - like Hitman Absolution. I think that was one of the first criticisms most of us expressed when seeing the first real gameplay footage. Certainly controls have been the most criticised aspect across the board.

Although bugs and sound design seem very unfortunate, and shouldn't happen in the first place, when a video game company makes these mistakes what becomes important is how they respond. And, in my opinion, JAW & OWI have handled it very well and did a great job responding to dissatisfied members of the community (if Twitter & Oddworld.com are anything to go by). I imagine the experience was a great lesson moving forward.

But in his twitter replied Matthew seems to be of the opinion that too much retrofitting is going on - looking at NnT as a Star Wars rerelease rather than a remake.

But the idea that NnT isn't a faithful remake also seems ridiculous.

However, his criticism is still well researched and shouldn't be ignored. I even imagine, as STM said, some of the issues raised will strike a chord even if the vitriol isn't shared (even if it is - looking at *you* Varrok!)

But, in the end, I think analytic criticism, like this, can only help JAW moving forward - particularly in appealing to those fans who feel NnT has strayed a little too far from what they loved about the originals.

And even if OWI privately disagree with some of these criticisms they're at least acknowledging them.

Last edited by Holy Sock; 08-27-2014 at 05:49 PM..
08-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

: Apr 2011
: Britain
: 1,326
Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

I really do agree with him on almost every count. In the end I enjoyed New 'N' Tasty, but I think we all knew it wasn't going to be as good as the original. New 'N' Tasty is an ok indie platformer, and with nostalgia combined it manages to pass in my head. I don't understand why anyone would be surprised it wasn't more.

Headline: Shock horror from fans as triple A game is remade by an indie company and it doesn't stack up to the original.

Really, what did anyone expect? The game is a buggy, glowing mess. We said all these things from the start. Like literally every screenshot people flagged up these problems, but if that's the artistic direction they genuinely wanted to chose then who are we to question them. It was it's destiny from the beginning to be inferior. Lets all play it and hope the funds go towards making something amazing.

08-27-2014, 07:11 PM
DWeedMan
Stunk

: Apr 2009
: Paramonia
: 47
DWeedMan  (39)

I can't begin to describe how much I agree with him. I felt almost every single point he makes through my first (and likely, only) playthrough of New 'N' Tasty. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Edit: One other thing I don't understand why I haven't seen anyone critique is, what is in my opinion the biggest gameplay flaw, the fact that rolling is now MUCH slower than running, why is that the case? One could say that it stops players from rolling their way through entire levels, I will admit I did that religiously in Abe's Exoddus in the Mudomo Vaults, it made some parts of the vaults extremely easy, but I've never felt it to be an issue in Abe's Oddysee, and I feel it has broken the game to an extent.

Fast meat grinders are borderline impossible to get through without dying at least 4 times, and the excuse that players should now run and only start rolling a split second before space gets tight (for lack of a better phrase) and should start rolling again the moment Abe gets out of tight space is entirely unnecessary and makes fast meat grinders, and certain sections of the game (the level in Paramonian Temple with the floor switches sticks out in my mind like a sore thumb), feel as if they are down to pure luck, rather than precise execution of controls and timing, as was always the case in the original.

Furthermore, this rolling problem was not in the original version of the game, and as New 'N' Tasty is a remake, one would not even consider that this change would be made, especially considering 1. it is never told to the player and 2. the puzzles are, for the most part, exactly the same as in the original. Surely JAW considered the fact that most of the people who would play New 'N' Tasty would have played the original and would expect something like this not to have become so much more unusable for no apparent reason?

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

Last edited by DWeedMan; 08-27-2014 at 07:41 PM.. : random grammatical nitpicking
08-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)Connell  (1407)

I don't even think it's a point of agreeing with him. A lot of the points he raises are objective facts, and if you don't see them then you're lying to yourself. Nearly everyone on this forum said some variation of at least one of his points during the construction of New 'N' Tasty.

What gripes me most is OWI tweet to him like thanks for the constructive criticism when things like the speedy animations and colour have been pointed out 1000 fucking times here to the point where they have become in-jokes. Too late for those criticisms now, my friends.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll always return to Oddysee. Good effort though guys.

08-27-2014, 09:45 PM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

:
But, in the end, I think analytic criticism, like this, can only help JAW moving forward - particularly in appealing to those fans who feel NnT has strayed a little too far from what they loved about the originals.
It's useful to see basically all the issues in one place. A lot of what Matthew brings up in his video has been discussed internally - there're no shocks here - but that doesn't mean we necessarily agree with every point made, which is only natural. Nobody's pretending New 'n' Tasty went out perfect, but we've done as much as we can to get things sorted as quickly as possible, and we're not finished yet, obviously.

:
The game is a buggy, glowing mess.
Nice. It's lovely waking up to stuff like that.

:
when things like the speedy animations and colour have been pointed out 1000 fucking times here to the point where they have become in-jokes. Too late for those criticisms now, my friends.
We're supposed to reply to every single one of those 1000 times? My bad. We read them all, trust me we did.

As we've said, both publicly on Twitter and from Wil and I on here, we're listening to critique - both good (of which there's been a huge amount and we're delighted with how the game is going generally) and not so good (of which there's been some interesting discussion recently as you'll know). Obviously I'm not going to list exactly which elements we're talking about the most internally, but we are listening.

New 'n' Tasty is, as has been the case since we first showed off the gameplay footage at GDC, a fresh, new look at Oddysee. It was never meant to be a 1:1 upscale (that would have been the old AbeHD concept) it was (and is) a new look at the original game with modern tech and a design aesthetic that we'll be talking about more in the coming weeks and months.

We are unhappy, however, that the game launched with bugs. We've since launch dedicated huge amounts of time to fixing those bugs and have worked hard to focus on the critical ones first, releasing 5 updates in the 5 weeks (and packaging in the much-lauded DLC) for the PS4, no small feat and something that was pretty tough going. We've another lined up too, but the contents of that aren't public yet.

Sorry you don't like New 'n' Tasty, but as we've always said, this is Oddworld for a wider audience but with the original fans always in mind. We were never going to please everyone, but we're delighted with the reviews and feedback we've got since launch whilst keeping an eye on what's out there.

Given that we've only got the PS4 version out there, there's still lots of work to do.

:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll always return to Oddysee. Good effort though guys.
Nobody's taking Oddysee away.

Last edited by OWI_Alex; 08-27-2014 at 10:09 PM..
08-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

:
some of the issues raised will strike a chord even if the vitriol isn't shared (even if it is - looking at *you* Varrok!)
Apparently I'm an embodiment of bitter criticism now. Wonderful. Also, I'm the person that's most refferenced to while not really wanting to respond to the thread/blog with the refference before.

The comparision video was good and I liked it. Seems honest, fair and straightforward.
08-28-2014, 01:14 AM
JennyGenesis
Wolvark Shooter

: Mar 2011
: Wales, United Kingdom
: 3,084
JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)JennyGenesis  (1025)

Oh man, after he moaned about the lights from the objects in the stockayrds, I couldn't take it seriously anymore, how ridiculous is he for moaning about the light from the bomb and mines.

I also love the fact he complains about visual cues for checkpoints, yet in AO that was a common criticism of the game!

Last edited by JennyGenesis; 08-28-2014 at 01:24 AM..
08-28-2014, 03:02 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

:
Apparently I'm an embodiment of bitter criticism now. Wonderful. Also, I'm the person that's most refferenced to while not really wanting to respond to the thread/blog with the refference before.

The comparision video was good and I liked it. Seems honest, fair and straightforward.
To be fair, Varrok, you did say you almost destroyed your speakers (or threw your headphones off) in rage when you heard the Sligs going "Mommy!!"

And then I guess your lack of comment highlights your dissatisfaction? I dunno.

But it is wonderful!

:
I don't even think it's a point of agreeing with him. A lot of the points he raises are objective facts, and if you don't see them then you're lying to yourself. Nearly everyone on this forum said some variation of at least one of his points during the construction of New 'N' Tasty.

What gripes me most is OWI tweet to him like thanks for the constructive criticism when things like the speedy animations and colour have been pointed out 1000 fucking times here to the point where they have become in-jokes. Too late for those criticisms now, my friends.

Seriously? I thought that was a pretty respectful reply within the confines of 140 characters. Especially considering Matthew essentially accused them of disgusting business practices.

It's his smaller points that cannot really be argued with - weightless jumping, some fast paced animations - but I also remember people here being incredibly impressed with NnT's aesthetic - particularly in the natural environments.

Also I don't see how someone can agree with his misinformed Slig nitpick that he spends so much time on.
08-28-2014, 04:55 AM
STM
Anarcho-Apiarist

: Jun 2008
: Your mother
: 9,859
STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)STM  (6435)

I hasten to say NnT wasn't a mess to me. It's taken a different direction from original sure, it's the first 'new' part of the franchise. It's gonna be a learning curve I bet. Sure the game might have taken some wrong turns but maybe JAW will take those points on board for AE or whatever they do next. I'm still putting my faith in the team.

08-28-2014, 05:29 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

:
Nice. It's lovely waking up to stuff like that.
It does upset me that my opinion actually strikes a chord with you. I think I'm far too used to being an anonymous unheard voice on the internet, not having to compromise my strong viewpoints in case I upset someone. I'm know you're all lovely people at JAW with the best intentions, and you're definitely not making the game for solely me, so please don't apologise for the fact I didn't like it.

:
We're supposed to reply to every single one of those 1000 times? My bad. We read them all, trust me we did.
My point with that was more that we as the fans luckily and undeservedly had the opportunity to flag up these problems to you before the release of the game, which we did, (stupidly around 1000 times) but they still ended up in the game. Then a guy makes 30 minute video and gets thanked for pointing things out after the release. I wasn't implying we are each entitled to a tweet of recognition, just that this wasn't really news to the team at JAW.

My comments certainly aren't intended as a personal attack, but it's stuff I've said from the start. Call me easily led, but his video kinda really did open my eyes to the stuff I've been thinking. It is fairly buggy and I know you've even personally helped me with some problems I've had, and for that I am grateful. But it'd be even better if they weren't there in the first place to be fixed.

Common courtesy often goes out the window on the internet - more so on the Oddworld Forums, and I am apologetic that I was part of that toward you.

Last edited by Connell; 08-28-2014 at 05:37 AM..
08-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Crashpunk
cun't spill

: Feb 2008
: Nottingham, UK
: 7,291
Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)

As Oddworld fans, What Matthew brings up is stuff we already knew and I'm fairly sure so do JAW. But those points did need to be raised in a way so everyone heard about them. So I feel this video needed to be made eventually.

However I do feel like some of his criticisms were either too harsh, too biased or based too much on the original game.

Firstly he mentioned the graphics and the bloom calling it overall ugly. Whilst I do agree the lighting was too harsh in Rupture Farms and in areas where it should be dark, There is no denying it's gorgeous to look at. It gave areas like Scrabania more life to them.

Secondly the controls. This is the point I 100% agree on and was my biggest criticisms. but we all know that. He did mention a classic control scheme which is identical to AO and AE. Personally that would be the best thing to do in the next game.

The two points I heartily disagree on are the Indie game ads and the animations. The reason why I don't hate the indie ads is because. This is a indie game! They were in optional secret areas anyway so they were far from "immersion breaking".

Secondly the Animations. Okay I agree that some of them are too quick (the wells and the doors) but we've already discussed how hard it would of been to recreate the original animations with 3D models when they were sprites. I personally think they look fine, and do work with the controls.

Anyway. This video was very much needed to point out the problems with NnT. I'm grateful for it and I hope JAW are too.

The obvious advice for JAW would to take this video and it's criticisms, So when you begin making the Abe's Exoddus remake you can tackle them.

Twitter | Discord: Crashpunk#0025

08-28-2014, 05:46 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
My point with that was more that we as the fans luckily and undeservedly had the opportunity to flag up these problems to you before the release of the game, which we did, (stupidly around 1000 times) but they still ended up in the game. Then a guy makes 30 minute video and gets thanked for pointing things out after the release. I wasn't implying we are each entitled to a tweet of recognition, just that this wasn't really news to the team at JAW.
Well the OWF was thanked in the end credits of the game so there's that.

I'm at work right now and did not have the time to check out the video yet so I feel my comments will have to wait a bit.

But what I see happening now is really surprising me. It's been a while since I saw so much negativity for the game. Perhaps I've been reading this forum with my eyes closed but I was under the impression that the general consensus after the release of the game was that if they did the same with AE we would be absolutely happy.

Is it just me? Did something change? Is Matthew's video as enlightening as the second coming?

08-28-2014, 05:55 AM
Connell
Outlaw Shooter

:
However I do feel like some of his criticisms were either too harsh, too biased or based too much on the original game.
He does say within the first minute he will be comparing the two games, and if you want a balanced overview you're not watching the right YouTube vid. His video is basically guided by nostalgia, which is why I think it was so relatable for me to watch.

08-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Crashpunk
cun't spill

Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)Crashpunk  (5534)

I meant in a way he forgets it's not Abe's Oddysee and in fact another game based on it.

I don't think it was JAW's intention to be a 100% abe's oddysee remake.

08-28-2014, 06:48 AM
V_O_T
Super Stingbee

: Sep 2012
: Australia
: 471
V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)V_O_T  (451)

Regardless of any of this, good and bad critique is always a good thing because we can always learn from whats been done.

I know in my mind that the people at JAW and even the fans have put in time and effort to NnT. While he makes valid points in the video, we cannot deny the fact that as a development team they have been nothing but great to us in terms of communication and care.

It'll take us some time to get a little traction with this resurrection of Oddworld, but we can only learn from here on out.

Yes I agree with whats being said in the video, but I still enjoyed it because Oddworld. I'm on my 6th play through now and im still finding new ways to do puzzles.

But, too much good critique can make people comfy, and one should never be too comfy.

08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

I Think AO remake wouldn't be the same if it was made before MO. MO is considered canon so you can't do anything about it. Basically, Nnt is a mix between AO and MO (it explains a lot of things, like the sloppy gameplay). So now, I think that everyone has to deal with it, because it is the darker game you will ever get by Jaw (if the AE remake is darker than NNT, it will not make sense at all). It's sad, but you can't do anything about it.

PS : I say that in all fairness notwithstanding the fact I totally agree with this video.

By the way, I'm disturbed by JAW : you guys shouldn't post here (Oddworld Inhabitants were wise enough to not do the same).

Last edited by Vlam; 08-28-2014 at 09:06 AM..
08-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

People from OWI posted here and chatted to us in OddChat.

08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

Yes, but not like this (I see jaw_Alex on every thread).
08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

:
To be fair, Varrok, you did say you almost destroyed your speakers (or threw your headphones off) in rage when you heard the Sligs going "Mommy!!"
That was not an overreaction. In my eyes it was a total immersion breaker, something that's objectively bad in the remake of a game which had sligs for merciless killing machines. It's a really big deal for me and I disapprove of that change (which was, by the way, carried over from MO.).

By the way, the headphones are broken. I bought a new pair that I'm using now. And I simply can't afford to see such nonsense in future games.

:
But it is wonderful!
You got it right.

Wait...

Did they really put the trailer song in the game credits? ...really? I didn't think they would. That's stupid and makes no sense whatsoever. That's also not very important to me. It just very weird...

:
It's useful to see basically all the issues in one place. A lot of what Matthew brings up in his video has been discussed internally - there're no shocks here - but that doesn't mean we necessarily agree with every point made, which is only natural. Nobody's pretending New 'n' Tasty went out perfect, but we've done as much as we can to get things sorted as quickly as possible, and we're not finished yet, obviously.
I'm glad you're still discussing this. There's never enough thinking about stuff like this. Also, I'm looking forward to play it on PC, and I hope e.g. the jumping and hoisting will be separated by then. It seemed like a big problem from the video.

Last edited by Varrok; 08-28-2014 at 09:29 AM..
08-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

:
They have every right to post here and I think it’s great that they’re engaging with fans of the franchise. I hope they don’t stop.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

08-28-2014, 10:34 AM
OWI_Alex
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Mar 2014
: 523
OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)OWI_Alex  (1039)

:
Perk of the job.

08-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Oziah
Fuzzle

: Nov 2013
: 113
Oziah  (103)Oziah  (103)

Are you kidding? It's a simple and direct way to communicate with the long-time players and get immediate feedback.

I really like the fact they pop up regularly on here; it shows that they genuinely care about the community.
08-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

Connell is right : the members of oddworldforums have said what is wrong with Nnt a million times before his released. So he is pissed and he don't understand. The members expectations will grow (because JAW members keep to come here) and they will be even more disappointed in the future because the fans will never get what they want (the next games will be goofier, etc). Look at the other fan forums, the producers don't go there (why, we don't know, maybe they read it, and it's more "mysterious" this way) and it's more "sane" (because, like any other companies, JAW do business and it's not their job - so they have to deal with real world - to please the nerdy oddworld forums fans ; it's 2 different things). And this is maybe why they pay attention to Matthew, the guy seems "more" normal with his video than oddworld forum users.

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by Vlam; 08-28-2014 at 12:20 PM..
08-28-2014, 12:39 PM
vnctdj
Zappfly

: Aug 2014
: France
: 2
vnctdj  (18)

:
I Think AO remake wouldn't be the same if it was made before MO. MO is considered canon so you can't do anything about it. Basically, Nnt is a mix between AO and MO (it explains a lot of things, like the sloppy gameplay). So now, I think that everyone has to deal with it, because it is the darker game you will ever get by Jaw (if the AE remake is darker than NNT, it will not make sense at all). It's sad, but you can't do anything about it.

PS : I say that in all fairness notwithstanding the fact I totally agree with this video.
That's an interesting point of view, maybe you're right...

░▒█►▬▲▬▼▬◄█▒░░▒█►▬▲▬▼▬◄█▒░░▒█►▬▲▬▼▬◄█▒░

08-28-2014, 01:35 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

: Jul 2014
: United States
: 341
HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)

I watched this last night, and I've got to say, it ruffled my feathers a tiny bit.

His main gripes seem to stem from his expectations of the game. He wanted Abe HD, and got New n Tasty. I personally would've been a little disappointed if the remake turned out to be current renders made into sprites/backgrounds with the flip-screen mechanic. I would've gladly watched the remastered cutscenes on Youtube, but other than that, it wouldn't have excited me nearly as much as what New n Tasty ended up being. I would've still bought it, but I would've felt a tiny bit disappointed that it was virtually the same. That said, I do agree with a few of his points.

I agree with some things; I've made my opinion on the in-game ads clear, and also about the controls. He also makes a good point about the laser/trigger gates in the Stockyards and Freefire Zone which I hadn't thought about. I also agree with him that the laborer Muds talk too much for how afraid they should be for stepping out of line. And I also agree that even for Lorne's dream-like vision for NnT's visuals, Rupture Farms' interior looks better with stark, white lighting.

I really disagree with his gripes with the sped up animations. I see where he's coming from, and I do like the weightier, slower animations of Oddysee, but they were sped up to fit in with the more responsive control input. Also, his comment on the Slig visors is a little ridiculous. Not only were the walker Sligs in Exoddus's cutscenes fitted with aviator masks, while their sprites still showed them with their original visor masks. There are also images that depict an aviator-masked walker Slig alongside the cast of Abe's Oddysee.

If anything, JAW and OWI did right by including both mask variants to cover those inconsistencies from the original games.

I can understand his disappointment in some areas, but I'm quite happy that New n Tasty and Abe's Oddysee are two different games. If it were a grid-based, flip-screen Abe HD, I'd be hard pressed to play the original much after purchasing Abe HD. I'm very happy that I can play two takes on the game, and not feel like New n Tasty makes Abe's Oddysee obsolete.
08-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

:
That was not an overreaction. In my eyes it was a total immersion breaker, something that's objectively bad in the remake of a game which had sligs for merciless killing machines. It's a really big deal for me and I disapprove of that change (which was, by the way, carried over from MO.).
Well, you can't call it objectively bad since I believe at least Crashpunk liked some of the Slig dialogue during his LP. It's objectively different certainly.

I dislike repetition of the same dialogue in games - but some of the dialogue brings Sligs closer to Sligs in the AE cutscenes (where I feel the true representation of Oddworld's character happened - although I'm biased since AE was my 1st game...)

But even in AO since Molluck's right hand Slig had that subservient "laugh whenever Molluck laughs" type of personality I never got the idea that Sligs were souless killing machines. Just killing machines. And they're still pretty darn merciless.

But obviously adding dialogue is going to "humanise" the Sligs and, therefore, making them less terrifying in a sense.

But the fact that now I know a Slig hates working the night shift doesn't destroy immersion for me. In fact it would probably immerse me more since there's a less disparity between their portrayal in gameplay and cutscenes which was really evident in NnT.

But for the sake of it I vote adding a few threatening lines of dialogue, or perhaps having a bit less, because your love for that particular aspect shouldn't something that should be ignored!

But maybe breaking your headphones was a bit of an overreaction :P

:
Connell is right : the members of oddworldforums have said what is wrong with Nnt a million times before his released. So he is pissed and he don't understand. The members expectations will grow (because JAW members keep to come here) and they will be even more disappointed in the future because the fans will never get what they want (the next games will be goofier, etc). Look at the other fan forums, the producers don't go there (why, we don't know, maybe they read it, and it's more "mysterious" this way) and it's more "sane" (because, like any other companies, JAW do business and it's not their job - so they have to deal with real world - to please the nerdy oddworld forums fans ; it's 2 different things). And this is maybe why they pay attention to Matthew, the guy seems "more" normal with his video than oddworld forum users.

Sorry for my bad english.
Ridiculous. If something is wrong with Oddworld, OWF is very much the place where you'll here it. And even though I disagree with a lot of opinions here I can't deny that those I've argued with, about Oddworld, have generally been very analytical and detailed. You don't really get a sense of ridiculous fanboyism here. Some may forgive certain things because they're fans but others certainly do not.

And pretty much everything Matthew has pointed out has been discussed in depth here - with arguments on both sides of the fence. I'm very glad JAW actually take the time to interact with the community. And why OWF? Although it falls into the same traps as other forums it's really the only community left to gauge a general consensus of the hardcore for fanbase.

And I'm very glad it's not a place where everyone blindly gushes or everyone is some sort of unwavering detractor.

People can be very intolerant here but the reason some people are paying attention to Matthew, like Crash said, is because he's raising some issues that they haven't really confronted before. Whilst on OWF everything's been debated to death.

You actually get quite a variety of fans here. But until the negatives of visiting longest running Oddworld community severely outweigh the positives I don't really expect JAW to close their doors. And I'd be disappointed if they did.

Last edited by Holy Sock; 08-28-2014 at 02:38 PM..
08-28-2014, 02:06 PM
HOMINIX
Howler Punk

: Jul 2014
: United States
: 341
HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)HOMINIX  (244)

:
Them screaming "mommy" and them being merciless killers are not mutually exclusive. They cried for help in the original two, and they were goofy as hell in the AE cutscenes, so what's the deal? They even crawl away in panic without pants, leading me to believe that they are, at their core, very cowardly. I've always seen the sligs as mindless pawns. They're too stupid and too accustomed to their comfortable lifestyle to question their more intelligent masters. Their mercilessness comes from their unwavering trust in their superiors' orders, and their culture's ideas of Mudokons as less than people. Generally, they aren't smart enough to even ponder if their actions are morally wrong.

Atmospherically, It would've been cooler if the Stockyard and FFZ Sligs were more quiet and alert, implying that those are the best and most disciplined Sligs staffed in Rupture Farms, but on the whole, I thought the new Slig dialogues really reflected their AE cutscene personalities, this time in-game. I wasn't opposed to this in MO either, aside from how few phrases there were, leading to some annoying, super frequent repeat lines.
08-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Crashpunk
cun't spill

Yes I liked the Slig dialogue. Quite a lot actually. It made them more goofy which fits the Sligs so well.

I think my favorite one is "I'm I hearing shit?" when Abe speaks to them.