AstraVexx
Zappfly

: Feb 2012
: South Wales, UK
: 16
AstraVexx  (74)
Audio Diary

Hey! New to the forum ^__^

I'm working on an alternate audio story where Abe keeps a sort of audio journal, describing the events as He would, like, for example how he spent his last night in his sleeping cell before he found out about the Glukkons plan to make Mudokon Pops.

Or maybe setting up camp in the Stockyards and recording how terrifying it was to escape Rupture Farms.

Would anyone be interested in that? I'm very good at mimicking the Oddworld characters like Abe and the Sligs and I'm a very proficient at audio-editing.
"I think that it is wise to question anyone or anything who thinks they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws are what comprise the concept of god. And I’d have to be much smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy it is to enjoy it and not to spend much time trying to deconstruct it. Ultimately on the tombstones of many it should read: “Humans: fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway."

Last edited by AstraVexx; 02-28-2012 at 05:41 AM..
02-28-2012, 05:34 AM
LauricGK
Thudslug

: Oct 2011
: France
: 196
LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)LauricGK  (930)

Really nice idea.

You planned to use voices like in the games...? Hard !

Waiting for more, good luck !

02-28-2012, 03:28 PM
AstraVexx
Zappfly

AstraVexx  (74)

Here's a rough version (still recovering from a cold ) :-

http://www.mediafire.com/?mvrq76ukmtr4p9j

NOTE: One part mentioned where Abe forgot where he used to live. This is due to one of the original plans I found in the the "Art of Oddworld" book, was that Abe was intended to be a self-sustaining fisherman living in the wild and was later forced into slavery by Rupture Farms. I always found that story to be an interesting alternative than him just being Born in Rupture Farms.
"I think that it is wise to question anyone or anything who thinks they have the answer. The ultimate sum of all natural laws are what comprise the concept of god. And I’d have to be much smarter than I am to describe it. The only way to enjoy it is to enjoy it and not to spend much time trying to deconstruct it. Ultimately on the tombstones of many it should read: “Humans: fretted, worried, prayed, procreated, sacrificed, died anyway."

Last edited by AstraVexx; 02-28-2012 at 03:57 PM..
02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

You do his voice tone well, though you don't get his accent right. Also, the wry, Welsh humour isn't quite right either, but all in all it's pretty good. Rather than the ambient background music, you could perhaps look online to see if you can find some factory ambience to play in the background, to give it a sense of setting.
The intrusion of the slig part way through was a nice touch, as were some of the sounds you sneaked in from the game.

Abe's birth inside a factory has a fair bit of significance to the canon, though this is not necessarily revealed in the games. It wraps up with his relationship with his mother and his lip stitches and it's one of those things that can't really be ignored. Also his total ignorance of all that he discovers in AO gives that game a lot of its impact; Abe discovers the beauty of Oddworld just as the players do.
Also, the production of New and Tasty would have been carried out by offering loyal mudokon workers an early retirement at the end of a long and successful career, shipped off to some distant resort and never seen again (unless it's as a disgusting-yet-yummy novelty meat product).

In my humble opinion, I think this would work better as the audio diary of a random mudokon in a random facility. That way you could give him the past you want and tell the story you want. Maybe his growing disillusionment with his industrial home, maybe his hearing about Abe, maybe hearing about friends plotting an escape... whatever floats your boat.
I really like this idea as a new, original way of telling fanfiction. I'd like to see where this goes and what you come up with.

02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Varrok
Wolvark Grenadier

: Jun 2009
: Beartopia
: 7,301
Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)Varrok  (7896)

The voice tone is brilliant, it really does sound like Abe. The audio quality is better than in most fan-creations too
02-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Mudokon_Master
Grubb Fisherman

: Jul 2010
: Australia
: 986
Mudokon_Master  (618)Mudokon_Master  (618)Mudokon_Master  (618)Mudokon_Master  (618)Mudokon_Master  (618)Mudokon_Master  (618)

That was incredible! Really cool, make more!
It sounds pretty much just like Abe, and I agree with Splat when he says there should be more factory noises in the background to give it more depth.
Welcome to the Forums btw ^^
02-28-2012, 10:18 PM
DarkHoodness
Page 7, Post 199

: Apr 2001
: In a box.
: 3,438
DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)DarkHoodness  (2104)

That was a lot better than I was expecting and quite high-quality for a fan thing - You do sound a little like Abe, but yeah, listen to Splats advice - Coming up with your own character gives you more freedom. The slig visit bit was very nicely done, too.

Perhaps another (obvious) suggestion is that it may also help you to research some radio plays and study what makes them interesting to listen to.

02-29-2012, 04:18 AM
AstraVexx
Zappfly

AstraVexx  (74)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Mind you, these are all really rough ideas. And yeah, the idea of a random Mudokon called "Adam" who designed the Blab-box did pop in my head.

Last edited by AstraVexx; 02-29-2012 at 03:02 PM..