09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)
Film Festivals

Have any of you guys been in any Film Festivals?

So far I've entered some of my work in 2 small time ones around my area. And so far I've decimated 2 small time ones in my area.

Back around February of...2007, I started work on an animated music video just for kicks and giggles. I made it to the song Don't Cry Out by the band, Shiny Toy Guns. I worked on it off and on over the course of about the next year. I finished it just in time to enter it in a Film Festival they were holding at Boise State University. My video won 1st place in it's division, against 2 college students, and since I'm still a high school student, that's pretty good. It also got Audience Choice award, for which I won an HD-DVD player...like a week before it was announce Blu-Ray beat HD-DVD...figures.

So yeah, after that things calmed down. A few months later I made another video in the same style for my history class, this one was quicker to make, since overall it was more basic. This video was made for the song "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel. Didn't really do anything for this video, but the people at my school liked it.

So over the summer, some pretty crazy stuff happen, mainly my mother losing her battle to cancer, which we were all expecting. My Don't Cry Out video was played at her memorial service, since my dad fell in love with the video while I was making it, and once again people told me how much they enjoyed it.

For the rest of summer, nothing really happen, went on vacation, got ready for my sister's wedding, you know, the usual :P. About two weeks ago my dad found an application to a film festival in Vale, Oregon that a lady gave to me at the last film festival. So I quickly made copies of the form and entered my two videos into it. I wasn't able to attend it since this last Sunday was my sister's aforementioned wedding, but That wasn't such a big problem since it said on the form that I didn't need to be present to win.

So today I got a phone call. Learning that my Don't Cry Out video made 2nd, and that my We Didn't Start the Fire video came in first, and got Best of Show. So that means at my 2nd Festival, I wiped the competition, got Best of Show, and I never even showed my face. :P I think that makes me like, the Chuck Norris of Film Festivals so far, but that's just me.

if you want to see my 2 vids, here are the links

Don't Cry Out

We Didn't Start the Fire

But enough about me, have any of you guys had stuff entered videos or movies into Film Festivals? Or have you just gone to any? Share your stories

Last edited by Abeguy; 09-11-2008 at 04:18 PM..
09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

I've been to V Festival, LoveBox, and some reggae music festival I can't remember the name of, all in the space of the past few months. I enjoyed all three, but my favourite has to be V Festival.

The line up was great (my favourites were Goldfrapp and The Flaming Lips), and the people I went with were awesome. Plus, I was drunk the entire time. Went to sleep drunk, woke up drunk, continued to get drunk during the day, repeat!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
I've been to V Festival, LoveBox, and some reggae music festival I can't remember the name of, all in the space of the past few months. I enjoyed all three, but my favourite has to be V Festival.

The line up was great (my favourites were Goldfrapp and The Flaming Lips), and the people I went with were awesome. Plus, I was drunk the entire time. Went to sleep drunk, woke up drunk, continued to get drunk during the day, repeat!

Alcar...
EPIC FAIL
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

I'd really like to go to Cannes. I really don't know much about any other film festivals besides the big ones like Sundance. How many are generally found in one region?

09-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Mutual Friend
Outlaw Cutter

: Apr 2006
: England
: 1,008
Mutual Friend  (41)

Three.

09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Since I'm doing media school these days I think I'll be visiting at least one of them at some point. Haven't been to any as of yet though.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

09-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

so yeah, went yesterday to go pick up my generic 1st place and 2nd place trophies...big woop :P

and I now have 150 in savings bond that will now start collecting dust...er...interest. Along with that I got a bag filled with the most random crap you'd see from a film festival. From a pair of pliers to an Ipod sleeve...no Ipod, and a laptop bag Now if I could get those respective electronics, I'd be happy :P

09-13-2008, 03:44 PM
mitsur
Corporate Espionage

: May 2001
: ಠ_ಠ
: 2,060
mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)

:
so yeah, went yesterday to go pick up my generic 1st place and 2nd place trophies...big woop :P

and I now have 150 in savings bond that will now start collecting dust...er...interest. Along with that I got a bag filled with the most random crap you'd see from a film festival. From a pair of pliers to an Ipod sleeve...no Ipod, and a laptop bag Now if I could get those respective electronics, I'd be happy :P
What electronic goes with pliers?

My friend and I used to work on random nonsense movies, but after I moved I'm more of a consultation/idea role over our midnight im sessions, in which (at least I am) we're both usually buzzed and/or drunk and toss out stupid shit. But once in awhile he sends me tiny samples of some stuff he's been working on, or I check out his youtube channel, and it looks like he's doing pretty good.

So I've had a role in videos he's made, but I dunno how or what he does with them.

Wrex.