Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner > Non-Oddworld Art & Literature

11-06-2005, 04:55 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)
Far Far Away

FAR FAR AWAY
By

Dew was diluting the reflection of the moon the elegant Eclipse that sat in front of number 32491 on Bakers Street on a most chilling evening. In the distance, you could hear the highway with its long roar of trucks, motorcycles, cars, and numerous other automobiles. It was a wonder how anyone on Baker’s Street managed to get any sleep what so ever. But life had persisted on that little spot of land, despite every bad memory that dwelled there.

The Eclipse had shined once with a glow of happiness and excitement, like the faces of the people of Bakers Street. Well, probably only the residents of number 32491. For in their eyes everything had turned grey. But they still persisted, like a heart that just kept on beating when every other organ had been butchered up. Could there possibly be a way out of this misery? Not in any of the eyes of the residents of number 32491. The residents of other dwellings on Bakers Street had wondered why the faces of those few residents of 32491 had lost their glow. But the Kanson family was secretive of their going ons, or going offs if that was what better described the situation. Was it an illness? Was it a dispute? Or was it a death? Despite these inquiries, the residents of Bakers Street carried on with their lives, the blissful ignorant lives of Bakers Street.

A cool autumn wind was snaking through the neighborhood. Like a hungry ghost trying to escape the torment of a purgatorial life style. It brushed over the face of Arthur Kanson while he swallowed a draft of whiskey as he stepped down from the door of number 32491. He scanned the area for any witnesses, sneaks, officers, or anyone else that would take notice of his leave at such an early hour. Yet no nosey eyes could be found. As he took another step towards the Eclipse, he thought to himself: was this really the right answer? He promised Sarah that this would end. He promised his wife that this would end. But at this point in time, there really wasn’t a right answer. He continued towards the Eclipse zipping up his coat to protect himself from the ghost like wind.

The thought of this action’s consequences still plagued his mind. He couldn’t bare to think of what would happen to the remains of his family. He still fell into the seat, gazing the dew on the wind shield. He turned the key and drove out of from the front of his house.

He passed by Tom’s. That was what his family’s favorite restaurant had been before last month. And then he saw the train station that took them to the more beautiful part of the state, by that lake with the smell of the grasslands’ fresh air. All before last month.

He pressed the brake furiously as his thoughts returned to the present, to find that the light was red. He had not had a shock like that for quite sometime. He tried to find a sign that read for Farring’s Point, his destination which awaited him with either bliss, stagnancy, or sickness. This was the fourth trip he was making. Each trip in a desperate attempt to escape the cold reality that was what his life existed as now. He was willing to do about anything to escape this Daemon which laid his palm of black misfortune on his household. The light turned green.

He was now passing through the Maria’s Plaza and the scent of food and sweet happiness swept over him as a thousand good memories swept over him as well. He wondered if he had enough money to grab a quick bite to eat. The sandwiches and grilled meat was the most delightful in the city and the bars were truly exquisite. But then, like the hand of a strict governess, he was smacked into realty again as he passed the last few buildings of the plaza. Then the memories left him.

----------------------------

So...how about some feedback, the chapter's not done. I will give you the rest when I can find the ability to lengthen it a bit. And I am NOT giving anything away. But it is a Hell/demon oriented story just so you have a feeling of what will come.
11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Dave
Clakker Relic Miner

: Aug 2003
: Location: Location.
: 814
Dave  (10)

I like this. I like your writing style. I like this opening. It makes me want to know what happens next ... and what happened before. Very cool.

11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

Here's the rest of chapter one. Sorry for splitting it up, I just needed to see if was going on the right path.

He saw the turn off to Farring’s Point and took the route. The lights and happy yells from the more busy and commercial part of town faded out. As the wheels of his Eclipse splashed water from the puddles around the shadowy corners, he heard gangs yelling, prostitutes yelping for a client, and booming bass’s from the few cars that passed by him. He saw the building he was heading for. It was an old building, quite beautiful actually. But its soul had long since darkened and turned bleak as the power of years took its toll on the area.

He looked around for a spot to park, it would have to be well hidden, dark. He knew the vicious gangs would try to steal it, but that didn’t really matter at this point in his life. He drove by the various nooks and crannies until he found a spot that was good and undisturbed. He wished he could just have one space that he could rely on these little journeys, but he had learned not to rely on anything as of late.

He stepped out of his vehicle and rolled his collar up to conceal his face. He wasn’t going to risk being discovered at a place like this. He strolled down the dark alley doing his best to endure to the stench of rotting food, and maybe even rotting flesh. He turned around the corner as a cat pounced off a trash can, sending it to the ground with a loud bang. Arthur thought it was a gunshot as they were common in this part of town.

As he walked along the river being ever alert should someone from the office drop by. He needed to get to that damn building. Such a simple thing, yet the most difficult at the same time. The gentle sounds of the flowing river soothed his mind, giving him a relief from this task. Then he heard the yelling and screaming from an approaching gang, he knew this would be trouble, but he decided to carry on past them for an unknown reason. They all gave him a glare and one nudged him. Was there no decency in this world anymore? Soon they all circled him, each one with the same glare of cretins. They all started whispering to each other, the rotten bitches that they called women gave a few giggles. Then one started smiling and came forth ready for an attack with his fist held high. Then he halted on the spot, Arthur heard two words, sirvare hikvys.

What had caused this? Arthur tried to find the source of this event. He continued looking until he found a small lady, only sprouting up to his waist, wearing a warm looking coat, clutching a cane closely to her, and wearing a hat that you would find being worn by the shamans of the Andes. The gang backed off, then it seemed like they had never been there. The small lady uttered, “sorry, am I in your way?”

Arthur did not know what to make of this, a gang almost impaling him, now a small unknown woman speaking to him. “No, no, you’re not any bother,” Arthur replied befuddled.

“You just can’t trust people these days, can you?” said the small lady.
“I—I suppose not.” Replied Arthur.
“You know, you can’t find one decent soul in today’s world. Take them for example.”
“I’m sorry about them, I’m in a hurry.”
“Is it important?”
“Very”
“Well, take care now.” Then something extraordinary happened. “You know, you really can’t find one decent soul in today’s world.”

The small lady looked up into the night sky, Arthur was curious to what she was gazing at, he looked up as well. And then he saw the most beautiful thing in existence. Suddenly, it felt as though time didn’t exist as he gazed at galaxies, clusters, comets, multi colored lights all gleaming like nothing else in existence. Arthur’s jaw dropped open as he was overwhelmed at the beauty. He looked down again to find that the small lady was gone. Like she had never even been there.

His focus returned to his destination to the building. He was halfway down the next alley when he gazed up at the sky once more, but to his disappointment the sky had returned to its normal state. But come to think of it, Arthur didn’t know what the sky looked like as “normal,” for he never looked up into it anymore.

At last he reached the door. He heard a radio inside along with the internal sound of ecstasy. He turned the knob and saw his dealer leaning on the stair case fiddling with a needle in his hands.

“What’s you’re best price for tonight?” asked Arthur.
“That depends,” replied the dealer, “which load do you want?”
“I don’t care—small.”
“Fine, small costs sixty bucks.”
Arthur stomped at this price, “You’re ****ing kidding me. Sixty ****ing dollars?”

“Hey! Watch your language,” replied the dealer with a stupid sinuous smile.
“God damn it! Fine, I’ll take the small.”

The dealer approached him as Arthur whipped out his wallet. It was a good thing being a pediatrician was such a profitable career. He pulled out three twenty dollar bills and handed it to the dealer whose visage still held the same stupid smile. Arthur took off his coat as they walked into a different room. Arthur saw the familiar faces of other consumers as he walked down the hallway. Arthur took off his coat and rolled up his left sleeve then the dealer tightened a rubber band around the upper part of Arthur’s arm to get a good pressure in the blood vessel. The dealer disappeared for a moment and came back into the room Arthur was standing in with a small needle with sweet heroin inside of it.

Then as the needle approached his vein he took a look at the door. Standing there was a girl with corn rows on her head and a sad frown on her face. Arthur’s eyes had the look of astonishment as he stared at Sarah’s face. Then she said, “You said you would quit, daddy!”