Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

09-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2005
: Brooklyn
: 1,937
Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)Kimon  (518)
Savage 2!

I'm just a font of upcoming game knowledge, aren't I?

Anyway, I found a sequel to the highly praised video game known as Savage. It's a mix of RTS, FPS, and third-person action, and it looks quite amazing. Some of the people who developed the original Savage are now working on Project Offset, and I found out about it on the boards there. Now, I bring it to you.

Check it out here. And enjoy the trailer.

09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: Feb 2005
: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

I took a good, long, hard look at this... and I must say, I'm distinctly unimpressed. Mainly because this game seems to be merely adding to the 8 bagillion WoW copying games out there, but also because this whole thing seems to lack originality of any kind. In fact it sounds inherantly limited to me, and that would just irritate me. So, yeah, this doesn't do it for me really.
09-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

I don't see why you think it's a WoW clone; it isn't an MMO. Merely a war game. I'm quite apprehensive.

09-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Cyber-Slig

: Jul 2004
: Mongolia
: 1,225
Cyber-Slig  (10)

It has nothing in connection to WoW, Dino...

And can you play as that big, weird Ogre thing? I hate RPGs where you play as some panzy-ass elf/human
09-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
I don't see why you think it's a WoW clone; it isn't an MMO. Merely a war game. I'm quite apprehensive.
It doesn't have to be an MMO, it only has to be a fantasy game - it has the same look, feel, and attitude as WoW. It'd be nice to see something more sophisticated in the fantasy world, with a greater range of playable characters and useable items. Especially if it did have an online multiplayer feature.
09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
It doesn't have to be an MMO, it only has to be a fantasy game - it has the same look, feel, and attitude as WoW.
Ye must research these things before ye post. You are quite a ways off. Just because something is set in a more prominently medieval-seeming setting does not mean it's a fantasy game.

Actually, it's a post-apocalyptic battle between two races, the Beasts and the Humans (a new race is appearing in Savage 2). After some great big nuclear war, only the beasts and a small clan of humans survived. The humans then bred and gained enough manpower to start fighting the beasts.

Humans start with bows and hatchets and the like, but there is hidden technology to be found throughout each match. The humans can upgrade their bows to all sorts of new-age guns and stuff.

And, admittedly, the litte guy in the trailer looks like a dwarf, but the developers just said that it was a human from a certain reigon that had given that particular little "race" of humans, some dwarf-ish characteristics.

Just to let you know it's not a fantasy game, nor is it linked to WoW in any way. Not even the artistic style.

09-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Ye must research these things before ye post. You are quite a ways off. Just because something is set in a more prominently medieval-seeming setting does not mean it's a fantasy game.
Fictional creatures and set in the past = fantasy. This is a law rather than a rule of thumb if the creatures are mythical beasts.

Fictional creatures and set in the future = science fiction, provided that they're not mythical beasts. If they are then it becomes scifi fantasy (hybrid genre).

Scifi can be set in the past if it's subject matter is mostly scientific. IE time travel or whatever.

This game has what looks to be a troll/ogre/orc, as well as various other beasts that a clearly based on mythical beasts. That places it firmly in the fantasy RPG genre. Also it involves two sides fighting each other, that's it's first similarity with WoW, which also involves two warring sides. Next similarity is, well, look at it - it looks like it was made by the same people, only with far better graphics. The whole style and attitude is identical.

And if you read about the features, they all sound pretty standard, and rather dull. This game doesn't let you do anything interesting or original, in fact it doesn't let you do anything that any other games haven't offered. I don't see why I should buy this game or find it appealing when it doesn't offer me anything other than a dull same-old grind through the same old shit that people THINK I want.

This is what it is these days, companies are churning out games that only fit into a certain niche. There's no wide horizon of games and styles, there's just a bunch of very similar games that all borrow from one another. It's really dull.
09-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Kimon
Outlaw Mortar

:
Fictional creatures and set in the past = fantasy. This is a law rather than a rule of thumb if the creatures are mythical beasts.
Disagreed. Fantasy = Magical Setting, Magical Creatures, and Medieval setting. Savage is, as I said, a post-apocalyptic war game.

:
That places it firmly in the fantasy RPG genre.
...Except for the fact that it's not an RPG. Nor is it a fantasy game.

:
...what looks to be a troll/ogre/orc, as well as various other beasts that a clearly based on mythical beasts.
It is called a Behemoth, and it is basically a bipedal Rhino/Elephant. Although it bears a similarity to trolls/ogres/whatever in physical form, the context in which it is used (in the game world) is much different. It is merely a large seige creature. And as for the other beasts, I see no real connection to other mythical beasts. The beasts are lizard people, but those are more commonly used in sci-fi than fantsy.

:
Also it involves two sides fighting each other, that's it's first similarity with WoW, which also involves two warring sides. Next similarity is, well, look at it - it looks like it was made by the same people, only with far better graphics. The whole style and attitude is identical.
I totally disagree with this paragraph.

First of all, what game doesn't have two fighting sides? Whether it be the Flood and the Humans, the Wolvarks and the Grubbs, or just Good and Evil, there are almost ALWAYS two conflicting sides. To say this game derived that from WoW is totally invalid.

Second of all, the graphical style is not cartoony at all. While I'm not saying it's the total opposite of WoW's art direction, it is certainly going for a more realistic feel than purple Elves and bright green Orcs.

:
And if you read about the features, they all sound pretty standard, and rather dull. This game doesn't let you do anything interesting or original, in fact it doesn't let you do anything that any other games haven't offered. I don't see why I should buy this game or find it appealing when it doesn't offer me anything other than a dull same-old grind through the same old shit that people THINK I want.

This is what it is these days, companies are churning out games that only fit into a certain niche. There's no wide horizon of games and styles, there's just a bunch of very similar games that all borrow from one another. It's really dull.
Can't argue with that. Your opinion is yours to have.