Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)
# Chick with a Diiiiiick #

Discuss.

In England it has made the news quite a bit. Mainly due to the fact that idiot Christians are complaining that the BBC aired it.

If i was a Politician or a member of the BBC, i would quite publically go tell the Christian movement to go f*ck themselves...with barbed wire.

I saw it, yeh, it was blasphemous. Big deal. They gave you enough warning before hand. It wasn't as good as i thought it would be, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it could've been.

The KKK...tap dancing. Priceless.

So, do you think the BBC should've not shown it? Have you seen it? What are your views on it?

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

01-13-2005, 02:35 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

: May 2003
: R'lyeh
: 1,255
TheRaisin  (10)

Jacob, would you care to elaborate somewhat?

01-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

:
I saw it, yeh, it was blasphemous. Big deal. They gave you enough warning before hand. It wasn't as good as i thought it would be, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it could've been.
Watch'oo talking about?

Jerry Springer the Opera?
01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

have not seen it... but I saw the words "chick" and "diiiiiiick" in the same sentance, and I became interested....
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

01-13-2005, 02:56 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

Yes, Jacob, please elaborate for the members in other countries...

01-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Oddly Insane
Fuzzle

: Dec 2004
: Ill, Addison
: 121
Oddly Insane  (10)

wheres the chick with this dick?
01-13-2005, 04:37 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

:
wheres the chick with this dick?
I got some links.... probobly not the one Jacob's talking about, but hey...
Asshole

01-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Oddly Insane
Fuzzle

Oddly Insane  (10)

what chick must have condoms
01-13-2005, 06:23 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

:
what chick must have condoms
Alright, Oddly Insane. Stop posting stupid crap. I'm serious. Every single post you've made in the past week is basically a five word sentence that adds nothing to the conversation. You might be able to get away with shit like that once you've been here for a while and earned a better reputation for posting things with, you know, a purpose; but for now, just stop.

If you have nothing useful to say, then don't say anything. Period.

First warning.
01-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Christ(!)

Have none of you heard about the Opera based upon 'The Jerry Springer show'? Apparently the vast majority of the complaints recieved after it aired where mainly from America. Or something.

So, it's basically a show about Jerry Springer. It's rather good. It features a guy who loves his girlfriend, but is cheating on her with her bestfriend. And is cheating on the bestfriend with a guy. But his girlfriend also ends up confessing she gave a guy a Golden shower, in some toilets. Ahem. It features a guy who likes to pretend he's a baby [with his song being # Mamma give me smack on the asshole. Mamma give me smack on the head #]. It features an older woman, who is the product of rape, wanting to be a stripper. And her husband, who constantly berates her. Oh, and it has the KKK. TAPDANCING! [# Kill the Niggers. Kill the Jews #]

The basic premise is that Jerry Springer is shot. And in his delirium as he dies, he imagines he goes to Hell. And Lucifer basically wants Jerry to do a show about the whole Heaven-Hell diabocle. And get Jesus to apologise to him.

It's quite good. Though extremely blasphemous. For when Mary walks onto the Hell version of the show [she sides with Lucifer, 'cos Jesus abandoned her] the chorus begins to sing # Raped by an Angel. Raped by God #

Jesus swears in it, and admits he is "A bit Gay" [and also has a spat with Lucifer, in which Lucifer sings the word 'F*ck' whilst Jesus sings 'Talk (to the Stigmata)]. Adam and Eve are in it also. So yeh, it's rather good. Just wondered if any of you agreed of what the Christian movement over here is saying, which is "it should never have been aired" basically. And how they're going to sue the BBC for blasphemy.

Thus far, the majority of people over here are of a "f*ck you" nature, towards the Christians. Classifying what they're saying/doing as Religious bullying. It's quite a vicious backlash, as even the Sikhs who staged a riot not long back are being told that they're wankers. Which they were being.

So...discuss.

[A bit of trivia: 40,000 complaints were issued to the BBC before the broadcasting of the play. Only 300 were issued afterwards. The majority of them, alledgedly, being from America. And the majority being worded in a very similar manner.]

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

01-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

I've heard of the opera but that was a few years back when it first appeared in the Edinborough (sp?) Fringe Festival.

Can I assume from your reference to the BBC that it was recently shown on TV?

I personally think it sounds pretty funny. That said, I still wouldn't go and see it.

01-14-2005, 04:21 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

Sooo... What about the chick with the dick, one might wonder?

Anyways, sounds like a cool opera, though.
- And you're still a dick.

01-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

Watched 10 mins of it. Was good, but i can't judge after that short amount.

But generally, Christians can go **** themselves anyway if they're moaning about such things that are tongue in cheek.
01-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Complaning Christians suck.
The BBC should not bow down to some fanatical fools.
01-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Mudokon Princess

: Nov 2004
: America
: 153
Mudokon Princess  (10)

I'm a Christian, and I dont agree with they aired (which is why i didnt watch it) but they shouldnt be sued. Granted, it IS blasphemous, but it is our choice wether we want to watch it or not .Pertaining to the question of wether they shouldnt have aired it, I agree, but then again, we dont HAVE to watch it. so...i'm not really on either side actually but rather, i just have opinions on both sides.

Last edited by Mudokon Princess; 01-14-2005 at 11:24 AM..
01-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Oddly Insane
Fuzzle

Oddly Insane  (10)

Jerry springer is funny crap
01-14-2005, 02:18 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

OMFG! after reading a summary like that, I absolutly have to watch this... I mean seriously, this sounds good! Wonder if they'll show it again....

and yes, chicks with dicks don't seam to come into play here.... explain....
Asshole

01-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Languor
Fuzzle

: Jan 2005
: Texas, USA
Languor  (10)

Hahaha. That sounds like an awesome show. And Jerry Springer is so incredibly stupid, which is what makes him awesome. I just watch it to see how idiotic the people on there are.

Seems a bit ridiculous to have so many people get so excited about something relatively minor...

01-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Oddly Insane
Fuzzle

Oddly Insane  (10)

like I saw one this mom has a girl and the girl is grown up and the chick has a friend the the friend and the mom where having sex and the friend is a chick too.............................................freaky
01-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Nepharski
Riot Slug

: A State of Confusion
: 573
Nepharski  (10)

*Reads.*

Bah!

Personally, I find the premise and theme of this opera distasteful and (wait for it...waaaaait for it...) blasphemous.

However...

If they really did give forewarning before hand (Following whatever contains offensive blah, blah, blah), I'm don't really think those people should be able to sue over it. I mean, I loathe the very sound of this opera, but I wouldn't sue over it. It's not like you're watching something else, when suddenly *Pop!* Jerry Springer Opera! No, they gave you a heads up beforehand, giving you time to leave or change the channel. Out of the various reactions for something like this, suing is going quite a bit over the edge, I should think.

P.S. I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

"Is my species of consequence to you now, Mustang? Did you really want my position that badly? Although I can appreciate the vanity of ambition, you should have spent more time planing. Even if you had somehow pulled this off, the counsil would have found you out, and they'd never let an assassin back into their fold." - Pride, FullMetal Alchemist

01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: Florida
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

I'm with Neph here. (Good to see you're back, by the way!) If there was some sort of a warning, the people have no right to sue. Everyone knows I'm a Christian here, but I certainly can take a few jokes that jab at my religion, as long as they're funny and not just plain stupid. This... sounds pretty funny, but I wouldn't feel comfortable watching the religious parts for some reason. The KKK tap-dancing, that's a whole other story. Like Jacob said, priceless.

01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

: May 2003
: R'lyeh
: 1,255
TheRaisin  (10)

A.S. We noooootiiiiiced! Heh. Glad to have ya back.

S. Sounds hilarious. I'd probably watch it.

If everybody sued over everything potentially blasphemous, South Park would have been obliterated long ago. Since when has anyone cared about what they show on TV, for gosh sake? The fact that there was (is?) such a thing as The Jerry Springer show seems proof enough to me that you can get away with anything on TV. It's not even illegal to portray all those Biblical figures that way. Is it? I can't possibly imagine it would be. Then again, this is America, and that's Britain. But still. I didn't think we were that different. Anyway.

P.S. Can one actually sue for blasphemy in Britain? Good lord, isn't anything disagreeing with Christianity blasphemous, in theory? This wasn't even serious and they're suing over it. Why not sue everyone who says that Christianity isn't the path to God? I find the whole thing absurd and shame on them for suing and I hope there are plenty of reasonable people on the side of the BBC who will tell the plaintiffs, "What are you, an idiot? Get your head out of your arse and come back when you have a real problem."

01-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Nepharski
Riot Slug

: A State of Confusion
: 573
Nepharski  (10)

Wow! Really? When I left back in December, I thought everybody hated me.

Suddenly, I feel loved. I feel all...fuzzy inside.

Anyway, yah...there is such a thing as over-reacting. If there was no warning, I can see the problem, but as there was...I'd like to appologize for the lunk-headedness of some of my fellow Christians. I despise any and all frivolous lawsuits, and this (somewhat) qualifies, so there you go.

"Is my species of consequence to you now, Mustang? Did you really want my position that badly? Although I can appreciate the vanity of ambition, you should have spent more time planing. Even if you had somehow pulled this off, the counsil would have found you out, and they'd never let an assassin back into their fold." - Pride, FullMetal Alchemist

01-15-2005, 05:01 PM
Godlesswanderer
Naked & Pimping

: Essex, England
: 1,183
Godlesswanderer  (22)

I don't think I was here when you left but welcome back anyway .

Anyway, back to the opera. I was tempted to watch it but right before it started I fell asleep(I hadn't slept for 2 days before that). Later I woke up at whatever part it was where there was some woman dressed as a baby, singing. And being still tired and half asleep, I quickly got annoyed with the loudness of my TV and turned it off.
So basically, I didn't see it.

01-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

It sounds great, but I have never heard of it before this.
I don't see how they can actually sue, it's not like it's breaking any rules, as in, sure, it may be offensive, but they gave warning, so there's not really a case. It's basically sueing someone else because you're too stupid to change the channel.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

01-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Welcome back Neph, no hard feelings.

The Christians had plenty of warning, as did the Birmingham Sihks*. Therefore they can shove all their immorality crap where the sun don't shine. Yes, it was blasphemous. No, you didn't have to watch it.

*A play was performed in Birmingham which featured a scene involving a woman being raped inside a Gurdwara. After the first showing, the local Sihk population rioted and damaged the theatre. The play was cancelled as the Birmingham council and theatre people gave into the Religious folks.
01-16-2005, 01:21 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I hate Religious bullying. They're putting through a law which will prevent "Racial hatred incitement" which is all well and good, but then you find out that such a law could step on the toes of comedians.

Ugh. Minority groups tend to get the most protection from comedy/critism. Whereas Christians and Catholics get the rough end of the deal. I wouldn't really mind, but Muslims are far worse when it comes to their beliefs. On a chat show i was watching one Muslim said that if somebody abused his God, he wouldn't think twice about hitting the person. Even though their God is against violence.

As soon as i take over the world, there'll be some BIG changes.

01-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

The chick with a dick, for those who were wondering, was just one of the more piss-inducingly funny lyrics near the beginning of the opera.

I loved this performance. It wasn't by any means the greatest thing I've ever seen, and the second half, I thought, wasn't as good as the first. The religious characterisations were outragiously comical, but I didn't like the music so much. Meh.

One presenter of my local radio station made me laugh. He had to thank the Christians profusely for complaining so strongly about Jerry Springer - the Opera - because it had introduced him to the work, and he loved it. He also made a nice comparison to the didiots that complained before seeing it.

A man walks into a pub: &#8220:Hello, I want to complain about your steak and chips!”
The barman: “Erm, okay. When did you have this meal?”
“Oh, I've never eaten here, but I wish to complain about the food.”

I must get some music from that opera.

01-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Yeh, the music wasn't as good in the second half. The only really memorable song was between Jesus and Lucifer, when Lucifer was all "F*ck" and Jesus was all "Talk (to the Stigmata)".

Loved the choreography [when it was done] and the songs. Immensely inventive.

All we need now is 'Auschwitz: The Opera'!

01-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

So you're saying that Prince Harry was merely in rehearsal last week? Now it all makes sense.