Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

08-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

MO broke our hearts too, though clearly not in the amazingly profound way it could have done to Lorne. I don't believe it's a good idea to just leave it alone and forget about it, though. The fact that we disliked it to certain degrees but are still sticking about is a great testament, don't you think?

08-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Cyber-Slig

: Jul 2004
: Mongolia
: 1,225
Cyber-Slig  (10)

Possessing in MO sucks.I used to love possessing in the other games but in MO its so boring.Possessed industrialists cant climb or talk.All they do is say random insults which is just boring.Also I enjoyed the gluks giving commands to sligs.sadly there stuck in the same room and only say dumbass stuff.
08-05-2004, 11:45 AM
ANN NEELY
Sleg

: Dec 2002
: Hell
: 675
ANN NEELY  (14)

I couldn't have put it better myserlf, Cyber-Slig, Posession in MO sucks air. I miss talking to other Sligs with normal Sligs. I don't know why they changed it.

08-05-2004, 12:20 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

:
I don't believe it's a good idea to just leave it alone and forget about it, though.
I just think it is rude if we know that Lorne didn't like it, to keep reminding OWI about it. OWF has a good relationship with OWI, so they see what we say a lot. Don't you think they get annoyed when they see a "I hate MO" thread? Dwelling on the past doesn't make MO a better game.

:
The fact that we disliked it to certain degrees but are still sticking about is a great testament, don't you think?
I suppose that is a positive way to look at it.

-oddguy

08-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Its not an I hate MO thread.I like MO.But there are things we dont liek about the games that annoy us.and it also makes me sad why you cant possess in Stranger.I thought that was one of the best things in the game.And if the ydid read this they might release a gold version.Like most game developers do and try to make it better in a way.
08-05-2004, 09:09 PM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

Let's see:

AO: Swinging balls... Especially when there are bats too. If a ball didn't get me, a bat did. But if you try enough...
No QuickSave... Maybe it gives more challenge to the game.

AE: Not a real problem, but getting through those bone drills is sometimes a bit difficult. Especially when there's 7 of them, going down and up. I don't know who noticed this already, but I found a way to get Mudokons past bone drills without trouble. You tell them to wait next to the drill(s), go past the drills, to the 'edge' of the area, then you tell them to follow, and quickly leave the area, before they walk into the drill. And after you wait a little, they walk into the area which you are in. It's usefull sometimes. But the game is great, characters, story... everything.

MO: The sound of Paramites, for one thing. And the good ending is still not clear (maybe because I have a German version). Why was it good that Lulu got the last can of Gabbiar? Maybe we should discuss this in another thread.

08-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Cyber-Slig put it well: there were unlikeable things in all the games. Nothing's perfect. Personally, I don't mind so much that Munch wasn't the epic it was meant to be; I'm more upset by things such a floating bits of metal and guns firing lasers.

Dripik, Lulu had to get the Gabbiar so Abe and Munch could steal it from him - any other Glukk would immediately place it under lock and key. Lulu, not wanting it in the first place, would probably not care about it, so leave it out. Maybe.

08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Mar 2004
: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

I'm sure Stranger dose has something just as good as Possesion, Live Ammo. I mean you can't have Live ammo in the Quintology games.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

08-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Software Bug
Formerly Tim Cottenham

: Jun 2004
: Groningen, Netherlands
: 1,068
Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)Software Bug  (308)

i hate that they use fuzzles in stranger als live ammo , because peaple wo love oddworld (sould buy stranger when it comes out) but everybody who loves the munch oddysee helping fuzzles can schoot them !! is it....
08-06-2004, 10:39 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I think you're saying you don't approve of how Stranger has to hunt his ammo...right? Well, he just hits them with a stun gun, so no harm done to cute little fuzzles.

-oddguy

Last edited by oddguy; 08-06-2004 at 10:42 AM..
08-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Yeah, except the Boombats, which explode when they hit the target. Nice and animal friendly there. Oh, and not forgetting the Chippunkz that get stamped on.

Why couldn't Live Ammo be used in the Quintology? It's more along the lines of Product Delivery Firearms from Munch's Oddysee than possession, so I don't know that it would replace it. But hey, even the familiar concepts of possession and button-combination GameSpeak can do with a rest.

08-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Live Ammo...dude...whats so fun about shooting an AI controlled animal?And u have a point.They really didnt need lulu.They should have possessed that Texas Green glockstar.He woulda got it.And it really ticks me off how u cant put possession through walls.He did it in the end movie...why not in the game?And if theres mind control/possessing in stranger ill be happy.its one of the best aspects.I think theres enough linear FPS/3rd person games.Like ratchet and clank.Plus if any of you watched Gamezville in UK a dude said we should have high expectations but its very strange.But we all have a love for oddworld in our hearts dont we?
08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

the fact that in AO and AE, paramites sounded like badass hissing mutant creature things that attacked in mass numbers and could slaughter a village. yet in MO, they sound like pigs.... can I have my badass spider thingies back, plz?

also- it took waaaaaay too many hits from a slig to kill Abe or Munch in MO. I understand that they had to be made tougher for the obsticles of the game, but Abe shouldn't be able to run through a slig barracks with about 5 health birds left..... (the vykker sawbones were perfect, though. they were the only enemy I feared in the game. They could kill ya in 2-3 hits ^_^)
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

08-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Saw bones r scary.Its a known fact anytyhing with a mind fears a knife more than a gun.Whic hI think is true.Its pretty true abiut the sligs.the day I got the game and phoned my friend and told him ''You dont die in one hit!Infact it so easy you can actually jump over the sligs''.But thing is 3D is harder when it comes to dodging stuff.simple 2D games are for that.Also I remembered another thing.When u possess a slig with a baton.and fight another slig with a baton.Why is it they always win?even if u do first hit and he shouts ''ATTACK'' he still kills you first
08-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Smell
Bola Blast

: mudomo vaults
: 436
Smell  (10)

I think my AO game had a problem, in the paramonia level it was impossible to kill the slig. It was at the begining of the level after jumping the big hole and whistling to the mud, the game went dodgy. You couldn't kill the slig, it wouldn't shoot you and kept turning left and right a high speed. I managed to solve it in the end though. With helpp

08-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Must just be a glitch on your disk, as I've never had that problem. Hence, it's not really something to hate the game about.

08-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Smell
Bola Blast

: mudomo vaults
: 436
Smell  (10)

It was, but I still got furstrated, and had to restrain myself from viciously attacking my Playstation.

08-11-2004, 05:45 PM
caracal
Fuzzle

: colombia
: 107
caracal  (43)

well, one thing I dont like about oddworld in general...is that it is a bit too funny, I mean...the only serious sequence in AE was the last one...I think they should be a bit more gloomy, I mean you are infiltrating in a cruel and rutheless place, you shouldnt be just laughing about the enemy all the time, yeah so games should be funny, but to a certain extent, I mean it's just hard to belive in a in-game universe when you can see obviously senseless things being part of it, so summing up the humor's just a bit too obvious, for example all those warnings in Soulstorm brewery were so obviously meant for the player, it just makes the glukkon look really stupid, and if they are so stupid why are they ruling the mudokons in the first place?

another thing is...the voices, sometimes I cant buy that a character would speak that way voluntarily, it looks a bit too elaborate at times, too..cheesy

to be fair though, those things you complain that are missing in AE, I think that's very ok, I mean if they were all in AE there'd be no true reason to play AO again, since AO would be just a dumbed down AE, I think that keeping each game a little unique is a good thing.

the lack of quicksave...I think it's good for a change, it's a bit more oldschool, sometimes I did think it'd be more exciting to play AE whitout quicksave.

one thing I hate in AE, is that there are no more sequences like the last one! I think that one ruled, I'd like the game a lot more if there was one of that style every time I had to shut down a department (bonewerkz, slig barraks, etc)

I dont hate this...but I think it would be interesting to see what the game would have turned out like if lorne had decided to use 2-d drawn sprites in AX, since the pre-rendered sprites are pretty good.

that there are no more one-eyed sligs! I think the variation was nice, I liked two eyed sligs better in some ways and one-eyed ones in others.

that there are no more flying sligs! *in slig voice*here boy, funk! hehehe

that I cant play MO because I dont have XBOX...
08-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

Flying sligs were good...I like em... But its not meant for the player.Glukkons make thier propaganda funny and friendly looking on purpose to get customers.And its a funny game not something so ****ing serious like final fantasy
08-11-2004, 05:56 PM
caracal
Fuzzle

caracal  (43)

well yeah...I like the fact it's funny it's just....it could use a little bit of balance, I mean sometimes seriousness can help relate to the game better...specially with the dramatic serious themes oddworld touches. some funny sequences and some serious ones would be great, I mean I'm crazy about LOK but it bores me that it is so serious all the time, and everything is so theatrical, so the same way LOK could be funnier OW could be a bit more serious.

BTW, you guys have a quote of lorne pondering about MO not being epic? I so feel for the poor guy, my wildest wet dream is to be like him @.@

Last edited by caracal; 08-11-2004 at 05:57 PM.. : um...correction, I meant epic, not serious
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Smitz
Chippunk

: Aug 2004
: riiiiiight over there.*points*
: 33
Smitz  (10)

I really miss possesing sligs and commanding the slogs to attack other sligs. That was fun.

08-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

I always thought Lorne devoted his life to his game...If he made it a bit more like Beyond Good and Evil some simple slow motion moments and better ingame sound effects could make it increasingly better....But its a fun game and not as serious and epic as Ominishu 3.Great game no nonsense.But if Oddworld was like that...Going about with abe and a weapon killing tons of creatures wouldnt be too great.I like oddworld as it is.The FMV music really made me happy.I think they did a great job.But the ingame music....I dont really like it..
08-11-2004, 06:17 PM
caracal
Fuzzle

caracal  (43)

well I never noticed the particular tunes too much, I felt very in-role while playing the game, and I think that alone is a great thing to say about the music, I think VG music is mostly about that, but one tune I do love is the one played when you posses a slig...makes me feel so badass

I think the music overall is great, is there any odd-site with a music galery?

yeah heh, I know what you mean about the epic-ness, and I wouldnt want Abe to be a killing machine at all....love him as he is, it's one of the best things about OW...I think it'd be cool if one of the quintology characters was not violent at all, that'd be awesome to achieve everything trough pure stealth and or misguiding, and it'd make him so god like =)

I think Oddworld is so awesome it doesnt need the epic elements or the seriousness I mentioned to keep being a must-buy (for me atleast :P) but I do think it'd be cool if lorne did that a bit more often =)

but it'd be awful if he was forced to do it but didnt really want to, it'd end up being forced and weird, I mean, it's not like if he actually told me he didnt want to do that I would bring it up again, HE's the man behind the odd
08-12-2004, 04:12 AM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

1.Im not talking about any other oddworld games im talking about munch's oddysee
2.Im talking about munch's music
3.Abe is a killing machine.For a start when you possess something you've practically killed it cos youre not staying in it forever(doesnt apply for glukkons in MO) and secondly when you possess a slig youre going to shoot/blow up other sligs but technically abe is doing it so sorry he is a badass killing machine
08-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Forbidden Paradise
Boombat

: Mar 2003
: Adelaide, Australia
: 238
Forbidden Paradise  (10)

The fact that AO and AE were the only titles to be released on PC.

"In a lush world of diabolical danger where everyone wants to eat you, you're the skinny guy with no weapons."
V8 Power. Only Milk & Juice Come In 2 Litres.
Holden Special Vehicles: Australian performance cars (I own a Clubsport!)

08-18-2004, 12:51 AM
directer_phleg
Zappfly

: Aug 2004
: london,england
: 9
directer_phleg  (10)
?????????????

yeah, I miss elum in AE. but I think Molluck should come back!!!
more molluck!!!

also, i miss the bees from AO

Last edited by Wil; 08-18-2004 at 01:04 AM..
08-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Paramite catcher
Stunk

: May 2004
: Paramonian temples
: 39
Paramite catcher  (10)

In Abe's oddysee, I hated the bats. Those damn things caused me so much trouble. In Abe's exxodus I dont like Abe's voice. What happened to the original voice? In Munch's oddysee, I hate the fact that they didn't put it on PS2...so I didn't get to play it..

08-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Cyber-Slig

Cyber-Slig  (10)

MO driven me to buy an X-box.I was bored on the internet so I thought ''Hmm....never played Abe in ages.....'' I looked up oddworld and found the site.Suddenly I was desperate for the game.The first thing I asked my mum and dad was ''Can I get an X-box for christmas?''.It was hard though.Last year I said the X-box is cheap crap which is no different from the PS 2....Oh well I was wrong
08-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Incognito
Stingbee

: Nov 2003
: England
: 93
Incognito  (10)

In AO I hated not being able to quicksave. And not being able to make more than one mudokon follow you at a time.

AE: This game was just brilliant there was nothing that I would want changed.

MO: The sligs were reduced to become cussing machines who weren't worth even one shred of dignity. At least in the Abe games you could admire them, but in MO I hated them. And the paramites. OINK OINK?? But apart from that I thought Munch was alright given the circumstances in which it was made.

Last edited by Incognito; 08-20-2004 at 10:24 AM..
08-22-2004, 07:21 AM
caracal
Fuzzle

caracal  (43)

CS...bout Munch..was it worth it?..I've been thinking of doing the same...but I'm not so sure about doing it I've got a PS2 and...I dont want to spend all that money on the xbox if munch's just gonna be a somewhat-above average experience

oh btw about

:
3.Abe is a killing machine.For a start when you possess something you've practically killed it cos youre not staying in it forever(doesnt apply for glukkons in MO) and secondly when you possess a slig youre going to shoot/blow up other sligs but technically abe is doing it so sorry he is a badass killing machine
I was agreeing with you O_o I was talking about him picking up a weapon and going in a bloody quest shooting everything in sight...obviously Abe IS a mureder and terrorist, but I meant that in the sense that I wouldnt want him to fisically go in a bloodfest or something.