Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

02-16-2005, 12:55 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

:
I think if OWI makes a movie it will probably follow stranger's story.
Probably not considering Lorne has an Abe screenplay complete, but you never know.
02-17-2005, 12:22 AM
The Marching Mudokon
Super Stingbee

: Nov 2004
: Perth, Australia
: 481
The Marching Mudokon  (10)

This is very exciting (although they are only rumours). I would love it if they made an Oddworld movie. I think they would start with Abe, I hope they do anyway.

02-17-2005, 01:39 AM
AWWW
Stingbee

: Feb 2005
: Sydney,Australia
: 82
AWWW  (10)

Thinking more about what the world would be like with Oddworld films/tv series, it would bring Oddworld merchandise, from posters and figurines (not action figures) to Oddworld themed cups and plush toys.

Start with Abe...
It would be cool if we find out how Abe became the Employee of the Year.
Just wondering, if OWI makes a film Abe Oddysee would they put in the new stuff Abe Exoddus into it too(e.g. flying sligs)??
Or should they just combine both games into one film.

Last edited by AWWW; 02-17-2005 at 01:47 AM..
02-17-2005, 02:32 AM
The Marching Mudokon
Super Stingbee

: Perth, Australia
: 481
The Marching Mudokon  (10)

I think they should combine both into one film but if it took too long to make both in one movie then they should make it AO and AE into separate films.

02-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

the quintolog were planned as 5 movies...
so only one Abe one and one Munch one

02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

: United States
: 1,275
odd chick  (10)

I think they should combine AO and AE into one movie (if that's possible and if the plan is still to make 5 quintology movies) mainly because if people who are new fans to Oddworld see Abe's hand tattoos in AO and then all of a sudden he has the chest tattoo in MO, then they are going to be confused as to where he got the chest one because that comes from AE.

02-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

He may not even get any tattoos in the movies. They may have been something invented solely as a game mechanic. It's best not to make too many assumptions.

Xav is right that the plan is only to have one film for each hero but I don't think you can say that AO and AE are going to be merged per se. The plots of the movies would have been tweaked to fit the games so its likely the movies will be quite different, plot-wise. Eg Abe going to Paramonia and Scrabania was interesting game-wise but didn't really add to the plot and wouldn't really fit into a movie unless he does something else there other than kicking arse.

02-18-2005, 09:01 AM
erwinraaben55
Bola Blast

: Jun 2001
: Netherlands
: 424
erwinraaben55  (111)erwinraaben55  (111)

Why does it need to have a recemblance (did I type it right?) with the Abe GAMES??
You can learn a lot in a movie about the characters live AFTER the games took place. I think the games will be mentioned in the movie as a start (intro) of the story, to tell who abe is , and how he became what he now is. It will be the first 5-10 minutes of the movie I think. (Or didn't I read something in the article, and am I talking nonsence because it is said that it is about the games?)
02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

odd chick  (10)

I really don't know. And I was never assuming anything because I don't even know if the plan is still to make the movies based on the quintology. My point was that the tattoos played a major part in the first game and if the movies will be based on the quintology (which plans can change at any time) then why wouldn't they play a part in the movie as well?

02-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

This is really far off the topic, but I would preferr that Molluck have a voice that we could all understand. Moll is a great villian: high-ranking, mean-intentioned, and dressed to K-I-double L, but his voice is so illegable that it cancels out his menacing traits.

02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

odd chick  (10)

:
This is really far off the topic, but I would preferr that Molluck have a voice that we could all understand. Moll is a great villian: high-ranking, mean-intentioned, and dressed to K-I-double L, but his voice is so illegable that it cancels out his menacing traits.
Yeah, it's almost like he mumbles all of the time when he talks, or something.

02-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Phat_man
Stingbee

: Indiana
: 91
Phat_man  (10)

Yeah for the movies the should like hire some professional voices I know that gets complicated, but it might be better.

02-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Leto
Not Leto

: Dec 2002
: up
: 4,866
Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

"Yeah for the movies the should like hire some professional voices I know that gets complicated, but it might be better."

Actually, they really shouldn't. Tom Hanks as Mullock! Kevin Spacey as Munch! Just stick with Lorne, OWI and co.

02-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Phat_man
Stingbee

: Indiana
: 91
Phat_man  (10)

:
Actually, they really shouldn't. Tom Hanks as Mullock! Kevin Spacey as Munch! Just stick with Lorne, OWI and co.
Not famous voices just people who do voice acting and not saying Lorne does a bad job, but people who could maybe do a better job. It would be highley unlikely though.

And the main characters of course would still be Lorne, but new people and maybe a couple who aren't have new voices.

Last edited by Phat_man; 02-18-2005 at 08:06 PM..
02-19-2005, 12:32 AM
AWWW
Stingbee

: Sydney,Australia
: 82
AWWW  (10)

:
:
Yeah, it's almost like he mumbles all of the time when he talks, or something.
Yeah, but Mullock has only appeared and spoken in the first Oddworld game so far, even Abes voice was hard to understand in that game!!

The people that do the voices for the Oddworld game are doing a really good job compare to other games(*cough*Resident Evil and fighting games with english dub), getting more people (professional/famous people would just be wasted money from the films budget, just save that money or use to promote the films e.g free stuff like the orignal Oddworld game, I can dream, I can sure dream...)

Guess gamespeakTM would not be a major part of the dialogue for the Oddworld film...

Last edited by AWWW; 02-20-2005 at 01:13 AM..
02-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Mar 2004
: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

Well I loved the voices in AO, they were tense and very cute. The Glukkons sounded more evil big guys, and Abe sounded like a smuck, the sligs sounded cute, and it sounded they were acually wearing their masks. And I think of the main reasons why Muluck "mumbles" is becuase they wanted to make it more mesteryouse my guess. And Muluck the glukkon is a serious and cool kinda guy.

Sorry for the off-topic ...

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

02-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

:
Yeah for the movies the should like hire some professional voices I know that gets complicated, but it might be better
Umm, OWI are moer than capable of doing clear voices; making Molluck mumble was obviously done on purpose - so outside voice actors would make no difference.
I like the way they're all done in-house.

02-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Angel-FoX-crescent
Thudslug

: Jan 2005
: Moon
: 196
Angel-FoX-crescent  (10)

Eee... man writing movies is a tough business, coz not only you have to stick to the same magic but also coming up with fresh ideas with out messing up. Take tomb raider film for example, I thought it would have been better if it was made with CGI plus following the story's plot of the first tomb raider game
but nooo... they had to make it into a flaming rubish film!
Any who I loved the voices in the oddworld games and I think they should stay just as they are know.

02-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Alpha

: Aug 2004
: Ireland,Land of the Leprachaun
: 799
Alpha  (10)

Following the plot of an old game is something difficult you have to take the CGI and create it the way it was origanally. The odd-games are too long to put in a movie , unless OWI cut stuff out. Then it'll end up crap.
02-19-2005, 01:03 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

odd chick  (10)

:
Yeah, but Mullock has only appeared and spoken in the first Oddworld game so far, even Abes voice was hard to understand in that game!!

The people that do the voices for the Oddworld game are doing a really good job compare to other games(*cough*Resident Evil and fighting games with english dub), getting more people (professional/famous people would just be wasted money from the films budget, just save that money or use to promote the films e.g free stuff like the orignal Oddworld game, I can dream, I can sure dream...)

Guess gamespeakTM would not be a major part of the dialogue for the Oddworld film...
It's not that they do a bad job at it-I think that the voices in AO were excellent-it's just that the only one I couldn't understand all of the time was Molluck. And as for not even understanding Abe's voice all of the time, I could understand him just fine. I don't really think OWI should get other people to do voice work because I think OWI does it just fine. But I'm just saying that Molluck should be made a bit more understandable. But yes, I have to agree-Resident Evil has horrid voice acting it's almost funny sometimes!

Last edited by odd chick; 02-19-2005 at 01:06 PM..
02-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

Oddish  (10)

:
But yes, I have to agree-Resident Evil has horrid voice acting it's almost funny sometimes!
And this black dude from the Movie "Anaconda"
*A dead guy pops up from the water*

"Oh man! Holy shit! shit. F*ck this sucks! Crap, Sorry man" He's ment to be the "bad ass" character from the group, so he says something like that

I think that Lorne couldn't fit everything that happens the original story into a game, so I think we might see things that were not included in the game, that will included in the moive instead what happend the gameplay. For example we won't see Abe going to Mudumo vualts, instead something more plot wise happending.

I heard the movies will more darker than the games, and have more depth in it.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "

02-19-2005, 01:34 PM
odd chick
Outlaw Shooter

odd chick  (10)

:
And this black dude from the Movie "Anaconda"
*A dead guy pops up from the water*

"Oh man! Holy shit! shit. F*ck this sucks! Crap, Sorry man" He's ment to be the "bad ass" character from the group, so he says something like that

I think that Lorne couldn't fit everything that happens the original story into a game, so I think we might see things that were not included in the game, that will included in the moive instead what happend the gameplay. For example we won't see Abe going to Mudumo vualts, instead something more plot wise happending.

Hmmm...that's interesting. I love dark stories-that's what attracted me to Oddworld. Hearing that it could be even darker is great!

02-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Leto
Not Leto

Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)Leto  (3745)

:
Where did you hear this?! I've always wanted the games to return to the slighty dark-esque feel of AO. It was a less comedic take on Oddworld (No offense to the comedy part of OWI's games after AO, I just like 'em dark.). And if the movies would do this, well, that would be just grand.

I hope this is true...

02-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

Oddish  (10)

I think I heard from Xav, Max or Alcar. It's usally them with the right info.

And what I don't want see if they the movies, is when the inhaibitants always talk or face to the camera. Not in AO, but In AE & MO. Like when Abe's says "Help me resuce the rest of them", or "Yeah!" Or when Brewmaster says "Izz not fair, we had tiwcz the falour" Or the werdios doing an "I dunno" signe, or when Munch puts thumps up, Or a slig go's "I love this job! Hur hur hur" Or "Orders is Orders" Or "Man he is pissed" And the list go's on. I mean... who are they talking to?

02-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

keep in mind that the movies don't have to be the games story, but a view of what we don't saw in the game, so not 2 times the same story, but 2 stories the merge together: film and game

showing the other side of things

02-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

:
And what I don't want see if they the movies, is when the inhaibitants always talk or face to the camera. Not in AO, but In AE & MO. Like when Abe's says "Help me resuce the rest of them", or "Yeah!" Or when Brewmaster says "Izz not fair, we had tiwcz the falour" Or the werdios doing an "I dunno" signe, or when Munch puts thumps up, Or a slig go's "I love this job! Hur hur hur" Or "Orders is Orders" Or "Man he is pissed" And the list go's on. I mean... who are they talking to?
God, I hate that kind of thing with a passion. It's too cute. I mean, cute verbal humor is what makes Oddworld great, but when they look at the "camera," it's like they're acknowledging the existance of a player in their world. And that ain't kosher for movies, y'know.

02-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
It's not that they do a bad job at it-I think that the voices in AO were excellent-it's just that the only one I couldn't understand all of the time was Molluck.
It was intentional; they did it to make the bad guys more alien. I think I heard Lorne say that once but even if he didn't actually say that I'm sure that's why they did it. As you said it yourself, all the other voices were excellent so they must have made Molluck mumble intentionally. So no need for professional voice actors.

02-20-2005, 05:32 PM
ConkerTribe
Fuzzle

: Jan 2005
: Orlando, Fl.
: 124
ConkerTribe  (10)

I would probably watch an Abe or Munch movie, but I would prefer if it were a Stranger movie. Stranger's character is just so much more mysterious and interesting. Abe's funny, but Stranger would probably make a more compelling movie.

02-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

I just don't think mumbling is going to cut it in an hour-fourty-five minute-or-so film. Since Glukkons have been proven able to speak intelligently, what's the point of returning to the first version? They should take away the drunken slur and the muttering and keep the evil growl in his voice.

02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Leto
Not Leto

:
I think I heard from Xav, Max or Alcar. It's usally them with the right info.

Good god, those were cheesey. That is what I mean about humor in Oddworld. Oddworld was its best when it was dark and horrible (you know, mean, not bad, silly). Humor is good, but the message put across is not as strong anymore. But- it's all good.

Then again, I'm not one for cute fuzzy puppy kittens... I prefer violence and utter asshole-ness. Just how I am.