Oddworld Forums > Zulag Four > Necrum Burial Grounds

04-01-2004, 04:03 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

It's not taking it too seriously, it's just keeping the forums clean and organized. We don't want an anarchy here...you're gonna have to respect the fact that we will have rules.

04-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)

:
Riiiiight! Now I get it!

Spam is anything thats not deemed worthy of discussion!

Now offensive posting I'm with you there but surely its a little "Police state" to actually have a go at people for not posting within topic?

Salsa is my other passion! I find that the Salsa stops me putting on the extra inches in the bum area (or is it "but" or "fanny" in America.. I won't even tell you what fanny means in the UK!!!!) that gaming can produce! So although I'm new to thid forum I have posted for years on Salsa forums... I have never once seen advice or guidance concerning how and what (or rather what not) to post... ever! Most just have a few lines at the top of the log-in box like "No liablous, hurtful, racist, sexist or abusive posting. Offenders post's will be removed and their registration revoked" Unless its SalsaMAFIA where by anything goes!

You guys take this pretty seriously huh?
No it's not a little "police state". The idea of a topic is to post stuff related to that topic. The reason some forums don't point this out, is because they assume you are a reasonable person, and already know.

For instance, rather than posting something about your new kitten in a thread entitled "Top Ten Games", start a new thread, entitle it "My new kitten" and post your info there. That's what the "post new topic" button is for.

The general aim of a discussion forum, is to catagorise debates according to their subject matter. This enables someone to cruise the forum, find a debate topic that interests them, and post in it.

BUT if you go posting your off topic stuff in a topic about say, microchips, then people will no longer be able to judge the content by its title - therefore you would be selfishly denying others rights to a debate about microchips. You would turn the discussion into something that it's not.
04-01-2004, 04:07 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

w00tily w00t, Death, where ever have you been?

By the way, perfect explanation there.

04-01-2004, 04:09 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
It's not taking it too seriously, it's just keeping the forums clean and organized. We don't want an anarchy here...you're gonna have to respect the fact that we will have rules.
In other words, having rules about spam and off topic posting is mandatory.

If you allow spam and off topic posting, the very essence and point of a forum will be lost. There is a reason why threads are called "Topics".
04-01-2004, 04:10 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
w00tily w00t, Death, where ever have you been?

By the way, perfect explanation there.
Been busy getting a life.
04-01-2004, 04:12 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: North East England
: 479
ClaireBear  (10)

:
No it's not a little "police state". The idea of a topic is to post stuff related to that topic. The reason some forums don't point this out, is because they assume you are a reasonable person, and already know.
So you're assuming that the posters here are unreasonable and therefore thick!!!!

I'm shocked!

I know how forums work... I've posted on plenty. Keeping on topic is a given really but the double posting? one word posts? Is that just not a tad pedantic?

And btw I feal really unconfortable havingto call you Death, Death... its weird! Or rather Odd!

Are you a Terry Pratchet (English fantasy writer) fan?
04-01-2004, 04:16 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

I'd say that the double post rule is very reasonable...instead of clogging the forums up with multiple posts, just use the edit button and add it on to your previous post.

04-01-2004, 04:22 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

ClaireBear  (10)

Why?

Sometimes a double is necessary....

...how do you tell a joke without one?

...how do you show someone that in hignsight you feel bad about your original post etc etc etc...

Accidental doubles of the same yes... but not new fresh Ideas or thoughts... thats the point I'm making!

So are you actually 15 then? (No I'm not grooming you... I just think you sound way more mature)
04-01-2004, 04:22 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
So you're assuming that the posters here are unreasonable and therefore thick!!!!

I'm shocked!

I know how forums work... I've posted on plenty. Keeping on topic is a given really but the double posting? one word posts? Is that just not a tad pedantic?

And btw I feal really unconfortable havingto call you Death, Death... its weird! Or rather Odd!

Are you a Terry Pratchet (English fantasy writer) fan?
To respond to the statement you made in your first paragraph, might I point out that I assumed nothing. I merely stated that some forums' assume that their users are reasonable people.

Of course, there is no such thing as reasonable people, and this forum certainly does not make any assumptions about what sort of person you are. Which is why there are rules to cover every eventuality.

To respond to the statement you made in your third paragraph, I will admit that I never suggested you did not know how the forums worked. Double posting is only against the rules if it really isn't nessacery. In my case just now, it was nessacery.

While you may know how to use a forum, your questioning of rules that most people consider absolutely fine, does suggest you have a limited understanding of the workings of a forum.

One word posts do not add much content to a debate, which is essentially what a topic is. You are supposed to give your opinion, not a one word reaction to the thread.
04-01-2004, 04:25 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

ClaireBear  (10)

But now you're just being pedantic...

On this very thread I believe there is a

"LOL! Nice"

Or something... by your rules is that not spam?

If not I'm confused... it doesn't take much to confuse the Bear
04-01-2004, 04:28 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

I cannot find this post you're referring to, but if it does exist, you have to understand that moderators cannot find every bit of spam in every thread...but they do a good job, nontheless.

Personally, I think you're taking this way out of proportion, but that's just me.

04-01-2004, 04:29 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
But now you're just being pedantic...

On this very thread I believe there is a

"LOL! Nice"

Or something... by your rules is that not spam?

If not I'm confused... it doesn't take much to confuse the Bear
Yes it is spam, and it should've been removed. I however cannot remove it, but if I could, I would.

I am not actually being pedantic, I'm being factual.
04-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
I cannot find this post you're referring to, but if it does exist, you have to understand that moderators cannot find every bit of spam in every thread...but they do a good job, nontheless.

Personally, I think you're taking this way out of proportion, but that's just me.
Damnit mac why do you always post a couple of seconds before me?!?

You're right this is way out of proportion. Clair Bare, if I were you, I'd just drop it and follow the damn rules. Use your common sense rather than being pedantic down to every last detail. And yes, it is you who is being pedantic.

When it says one word answers, we don't expect you to just post two word answers to get around it. We want you to put some content in there. If you find a post that is breaking the rules, use the report post button.

Lastly, if you don't like the way that these forums are run, simply don't post on them. This forum isn't yours. It's not your place to protest against the rules of the land. We allow for some leeway in making suggestions about the rules, but it goes no further than that.

I think we've both already summed it up for you. We aren't going to continue to wrestle with your disagreements forever. Make your choice. Stay and follow the rules, or go.
04-01-2004, 04:40 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

ClaireBear  (10)

But its not ......... spam... very nearly swore infront of minors then!

Its someone showing appreciation of a good comment.

Can't you guys see that that can be valid?
04-01-2004, 04:42 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

ClaireBear  (10)

That was an accident! Really! I got sick of waiting! Please! An accident!" I didn't mean!... this is why I dont like your rules!
04-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
But its not ......... spam... very nearly swore infront of minors then!

Its someone showing appreciation of a good comment.

Can't you guys see that that can be valid?
It's not valid. If you want to show your appreciation of a good comment, PM the author.
04-01-2004, 04:46 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
That was an accident! Really! I got sick of waiting! Please! An accident!" I didn't mean!... this is why I dont like your rules!
We allow for accidents.

And I'm beginning to get sick of you.
04-01-2004, 04:52 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

ClaireBear  (10)

Phew! I'm glad... can I delete them then or not?

Sick of me! LOL!

You didn't answer my question.. (can't be arsed to read your profile!... very old PC!) are you a fan of Terry Pratchet hense you're called death after his character or is it another reason?
04-01-2004, 04:57 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Phew! I'm glad... can I delete them then or not?

Sick of me! LOL!

You didn't answer my question.. (can't be arsed to read your profile!... very old PC!) are you a fan of Terry Pratchet hense you're called death after his character or is it another reason?
No, you cannot delete your own threads. You may however alert a moderator to the accidental double post, and ask him to delete it for you.

On a side note: The reason I am not answering your question about my username is because it is off topic. If you wish to ask me such questions, use the PM feature.
04-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I'll fix up the whole little problem. And everyone, just... be quiet This is an endless argument, which started with very little meaning in the first place, and has apparently grown in worthlessness.
08-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Reminder to those who don't. CHECK THE FREAKING DATE OF POSTS.
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Hops
Stunk

: Aug 2006
: Oddmany
: 43
Hops  (10)

SPAM is a word often used by people which don't tolerate the opinion and interests of other people. And also by pedantic - bureaucratic pompous a*.

Last edited by Hops; 08-11-2006 at 01:38 PM..
08-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

:
Reminder to those who don't. CHECK THE FREAKING DATE OF POSTS.
Same applies now! This is two years old!