Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

01-03-2002, 09:10 PM
Melvin:squeeking paramite

: Apr 2001
: Bottom
: 879
Melvin:squeeking paramite  (12)
Slig heads and the Cthulu...

I was reading a book full of H.P Lovecraft stories, and I came across the classic horror story "The Call of the Cthulu." As I was reading, I saw that the Cthulu head and Slig heads are quite similar. Read this: (sadly, this isn't the excerpt i wanted, but it describes the head a little)

It seemed to be a sort of monster, or symbol representing a monster, of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive. If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful.

Didn't do much good? Well, look at this sketch that H.P Lovecraft did of the beast: http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/lovecraft/Cthulhu.GIF

So, what do you think? Did Lorne or Sherry get some inspiration from "The Call of the Cthulu" or was it just a coincidence?
01-03-2002, 09:33 PM
abe22
Sleg

: May 2001
: South/Eastern Victoria, Australia
: 680
abe22  (10)

I think it might be a coincidence. I thought sligs heads looked a lot like a cuttlefish.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -- Jack Handy
That stuff only happens in the movies. -- Famous Last Words

01-04-2002, 06:35 AM
kleeng
Thudslug

: Dec 2001
: neatherlands
: 161
kleeng  (10)

I already knew about chulthu but this is the first time I'v notised the simmelarity. But it's brobably just coincidence.
01-05-2002, 07:43 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Well, you never know. I think it's entirely possible.

It's claimed, although nobody really knows whether it's true or not, that Mike Oldfield thieved the famous Tubular Bells theme from another band's demo song.

So...well, like I said, I wouldn't be surprised.