07-17-2002, 12:13 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2000
: upside down in a toilet bowl
: 1,552
One, Two, Middlesboogie  (10)
Drunk Help needed with The Curse of Monkey Island

Recently, I bought TCoMI for PC. It's a bloody good game, and it's v. funny, but I'm totally stuck here.

I'm on Disc 1 in Mega Monkey mode. I've got everything I need for the journey to Blood Island except Elaine. I've found out where she's buried, using the map on LeChimp's ship and the spotlight controls, but to dig her up I need to get the actors off the stage.

All the walkthroughs I've read tell me to now 'use the chicken grease on the cannonballs'. I've got the chicken grease, but where the smeg are the cannonballs?! One walkthrough was slightly more helpful; telling me that the cannonballs were on top of the worn travel trunk. But they're not! They're nowhere in the theatre!

I'm dying here.. someone please put me out of my misery and tell me where they are.

07-17-2002, 05:35 PM
quetzalcoatl
Thudslug

: Jul 2002
: Sweden, In the deep forest
: 187
quetzalcoatl  (10)
Idea

first you are right! monkey island is a great game!
second, I think that the cannonballs are in the room before the stage. I may not have the right answer, because I didn't play on the mega monkey level...

Last edited by quetzalcoatl; 07-17-2002 at 09:37 AM..
07-17-2002, 05:37 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

I presumed they must be in that room somewhere, but I can't find them. Do you know where they are in that room?

07-18-2002, 01:15 AM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

: Oct 2001
: West Goshen, PA, USA
: 504
Doug  (10)

Hey, Anna.

I've had CMI for several months and just started playing it last week. I loved the first one (I can't find the 2nd one except bundled with the others), and I'm really enjoying it so far. I noticed that Escape from MI is getting cheap, too (I love a bargain).

I haven't gotten as far as you, but I wanted to let you (and others) know of a great hint site -- its hints are designed to -not- be spoilers. It gives you a little bit at a time to get you on the right track, but will give it all away if you're really desperate. It has web-based stuff and also it has a reader that you can download -- this is the only shareware I've ever paid for, which I did because it works so well and I use it quite a bit.

Here's the link: Universal Hint System home page

The only thing I don't like about the site is that it is not obvious how to get to the general index of hints. On the far right of the dark blue band that reads: Our Newest/Most Popular Hints, you will see a link labeled "More hints >>". Click on that to get an alphabetic index of hints.

07-19-2002, 03:10 PM
quetzalcoatl
Thudslug

quetzalcoatl  (10)

let's see, how I remember it is that they were completely visible when you got into that room, maybe that's because i didn't play on the mega monkey level. but if I'll see anything that's sounds like a help, I'll let you know! but check out this page: http://www.cheatingplanet.com/, it might be a help
07-20-2002, 02:21 AM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

Doug  (10)

I've now gotten to that point and the cannonballs were definitely right on top of the trunk on which the Blood Island sticker was attached (far left side of backstage room). If they're not there, there must be some step left undone, although it sounds like you've done everything.

One mistake I made was that I stepped through the spotlight controls and thought I had it right because the lights seemed to be centered on Yorick's grave, but I had actually messed something up. When things didn't seem to be getting anywhere, I tried it again more carefully, and the lights formed a distinct "X" and Guybrush did a voice-over saying "that must be where Elaine is buried." The cannonballs weren't on the trunk until very late, and it might be that they didn't show until I got the spotlight controls exactly right.

Good luck.

07-20-2002, 11:42 AM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

Brilliant! Cheers, Doug, you're a star.

Turns out I had the same prob; I must've pressed the wrong button when doing the spotlight controls. I thought I could make out a vague X the first time I did it, but when I re-did it it was obvious that it was an actual X, and I heard Guybrush saying 'that must be where Elaine is buried'.

When I was operating the spotlights, though, one of the lights formed the rabbit from Sam & Max (can't remembr which is which), which made me laugh out loud. Did you see that?

07-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

Doug  (10)

I did see that rabbit -- I didn't recognize it (I'm not familiar with Sam and Max), so unfortunately it didn't mean anything to me, although I thought it meant things might get more complicated. I was glad when I got through the sequence and it seemed to work.

Off to Blood Island!

07-22-2002, 02:51 PM
quetzalcoatl
Thudslug

quetzalcoatl  (10)

have you played EMI? the escape from monkey Island, it's a *dang* good game to, it got anything that's related to CMI but it's in 3D! all the characters in the game is good, but I think that elaine is one of the best ones.
07-22-2002, 03:54 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

Yes, I have it on PS2. It was the first Monkey Island game I bought.

Although I prefer Elaine's voice in CoMI, and I also like the painted graphics and the pointy-clickety interface rather than EMI's standard-fare 3D and the console-adapted interface. Definitely a series that's better on the PC.

07-23-2002, 03:13 PM
quetzalcoatl
Thudslug

quetzalcoatl  (10)

I agree OTMB, elaine is better in CMI. But murray is a real pain, but he's a real star to!