05-24-2002, 12:34 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I have the entire works of Shakespeare, published in the early 1800's. It also includes his last will and testaments. My Grandma gave it to me. It's quite an old, heavy-but-delicate book.

05-24-2002, 08:49 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: Apr 2001
: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

:
Originally posted by pinkgoth2
1: Everyone did that in his time. It was kinda this english revolution thing, because everyone who had something to say said it in latin and english was worth nada.
Umm... I think you'll find that the vast majority of ordinary people (IE not pretentious playwrights) spoke English. And normal (for the time) English, too, not the twisted version Wobbledagger purveyed...

:
2: Considering Shakespeare had to fight for the attention of the people coming to watch his plays, I find that quite an assumption
Sorry, I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't making an assumption, I was stating a fact...

:
5: Eh? I'm lost now. Sorry, I'm really lost. Cliché as in how to make plays? If you mean that: It's not Shakespeare's work, it existed before his time, and was even stricter in the past.
What I meant was that before Shakespeare, Theatre was not constrained into the same basic set of storylines... Before Shakespeare, plots were permitted to be imaginative, but for about three hundred years afterwards, they were forced to fit into the same clichés that he created... It's only recently that people have been able to break out of them...

:
I think school can be quite entertaining and fun.
As I said before, I not only think it can be entertaining and fun, but that it generally is. But anything has its off-days, and Shakespeare is definately Education's...

:
I can understand why people don't like [the language], as a personal opinion of theirs.
I don't dislike it out of opinion, I dislike it out of principle, because everybody now believes that that was how people spoke in those days, which is a total misconception...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

05-25-2002, 06:41 AM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

: Apr 2002
: Scrabania (Germany)
: 316
pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

:
Originally posted by Danny
Umm... I think you'll find that the vast majority of ordinary people (IE not pretentious playwrights) spoke English. And normal (for the time) English, too, not the twisted version Wobbledagger purveyed...
Yes, they did speak english. Excuse my generalization. Shakespeare was not the only playwriter. So let me clarify: Most people who had to do with writing back then made up new words. This developement had kicked off before Shakespeare wrote 'his' works.

:
Sorry, I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't making an assumption, I was stating a fact...
Hardly. Sources?

:
What I meant was that before Shakespeare, Theatre was not constrained into the same basic set of storylines... Before Shakespeare, plots were permitted to be imaginative, but for about three hundred years afterwards, they were forced to fit into the same clichés that he created... It's only recently that people have been able to break out of them...
Perhaps in england. I know for fact that in germany, for example, theatre play was a lot stricter with it's rules of how it was to be made in the beginnings and eventually broken up, NOT intensified over time again.

Besides, you make it look as if these plays have no value in themselves ("these plays" not only referring to Shakespeare's :P).

Oh! He created clichés? I thought he copied everyone's work. ;D *chuckle*

:
As I said before, I not only think it can be entertaining and fun, but that it generally is. But anything has its off-days, and Shakespeare is definately Education's...
Well, if it soothes your mind, I don't like Goethe (german shakespeare if you so want), though not because of his works and apparent sins/wrongdoings, I think he was quite creative and all, I just don't like his views of the world that much, which made me lose interest in my german lessons ;)

:
I don't dislike it out of opinion, I dislike it out of principle, because everybody now believes that that was how people spoke in those days, which is a total misconception...
Em. When did I say I thought they all spoke like that? I didn't. So if that's the only reason making you dislike it, it's the wrong reason to try and push in my face ;D

- TyA

"Don't be careful, be immortal!" - Noko 440
"Pain is the best all-purpose preservative" - Devoto
avatar + banner pic © 2001 tya/neike satana

05-25-2002, 06:53 AM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Em. When did I say I thought they all spoke like that? I didn't. So if that's the only reason making you dislike it, it's the wrong reason to try and push in my face ;D
It doesn't matter if you did think it or not. People belive that was how people talked and that's bad. I thought that was how people used to talk before today.

Incredibly annoying 'words':
Things like '0wnz' and 'wh00t' and other shite which don't have meanings and aren't words. I even dislike nonsense phrases that Pinky comes out with ('green behind the ears') less than these 'words'.
05-25-2002, 07:02 AM
pinkgoth2
Howler Punk

: Apr 2002
: Scrabania (Germany)
: 316
pinkgoth2  (10)
Wired

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck
It doesn't matter if you did think it or not. People belive that was how people talked and that's bad. I thought that was how people used to talk before today.
Yea. Well a lot of people also think that Walt Disney was cryogenized. A lot of people think the non-christan-sect Satanism is devilworship. A lot of people... wait, you can see where this is going, right?

:
Incredibly annoying 'words':
Things like '0wnz' and 'wh00t' and other shite which don't have meanings and aren't words. I even dislike nonsense phrases that Pinky comes out with ('green behind the ears') less than these 'words'.
I only don't like complete "l33t" words or what they're called. I use it from time to time, since I believe I have sense of grammar beside it enough so it's something that spices up a post with a "huh?" sense, instead of just displaying idiocy. I will agree with you, that 53|\|73|\|(35 (sentences) in completel "l33t" can be annoying if people actually expect you to understand them. v_v

The nonsense phrase Pinky came up with... hmm. I know it exists as a phrase in german, but I don't know about english?

By the way. Is "shite" a word? ;) *couldn't resist* :)

- TyA

"Don't be careful, be immortal!" - Noko 440
"Pain is the best all-purpose preservative" - Devoto
avatar + banner pic © 2001 tya/neike satana

05-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
1. 53|\|73|\|(35

2. The nonsense phrase Pinky came up with... hmm. I know it exists as a phrase in german, but I don't know about english?

3. By the way. Is "shite" a word? *couldn't resist*
1. The hell's that suppost to mean? (I haven't played FFVII for ages so why am I talking like Baratt?)

2. I haven't heard of it.

3. Yes.

n. Shite
  • Slang
  • A colloquial form of 'shit'.
  • Antonymn of good.
  • Usage: 'This programme is shite'
05-25-2002, 09:39 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

Gluk Schmuck, you're Danny's puppet.

Regarding Shakespeare, there's a legend that says he didn't actually write the plays he is now famous for. Someone else wrote them and he took all the credit. It's just a legend, of course. By the way, Gluk and Danny have something in common with Shakespeare; it's believed he was bisexual.

05-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Gluk Schmuck

Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by Sydney
1. Gluk Schmuck, you're Danny's puppet.

2. Regarding Shakespeare, there's a legend that says he didn't actually write the plays he is now famous for. Someone else wrote them and he took all the credit. It's just a legend, of course. By the way, Gluk and Danny have something in common with Shakespeare; it's believed he was bisexual.
1. You only just realised that? Where did you think Dan's left hand was all that time?

2. Have you been reading the [insert random number here]th centuary tabloids again?
05-25-2002, 08:15 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Yes, they did speak english. Excuse my generalization. Shakespeare was not the only playwriter. So let me clarify: Most people who had to do with writing back then made up new words. This developement had kicked off before Shakespeare wrote 'his' works.
I never said I was fond of those other playwrights, either... Just because he was trendy, that doesn't make him good...

:
Hardly. Sources?
Give me a break, will you? I'm dredging up enough GCSE English and Drama as it is...

:
Perhaps in england. I know for fact that in germany, for example, theatre play was a lot stricter with it's rules of how it was to be made in the beginnings and eventually broken up, NOT intensified over time again.
I meant in general. If you look at (for example) Ancient Greek Plays, you'll find a lot less of this sort of Generic Storyline...

:
Besides, you make it look as if these plays have no value in themselves ("these plays" not only referring to Shakespeare's :P).
Beg pardon, then to what does "these plays" refer to? Plays of that Era? Plays in that Style? All Plays?

Basically, I think that they do have value. They are useful Historical artefacts, telling you much about people's views at the time, and about the place of Theatre in those days. I do not, however, enjoy them, which is surely the point of Entertainment. Of course, some people do enjoy them (yourself included), and that is their (your) decision, but that is no reason to treat them with the baffling reverence that people do...

:
Oh! He created clichés? I thought he copied everyone's work. ;D *chuckle*
You've got me there. Ok, I'll make a concession: He didn't invent these clichés, but he was one of the playwrights responsible for constraining Theatre in them for several hundred years...

"l33t"? What the hell is that meant to say? "leet" is all I can think of, and that doesn't mean anything...

What does that phrase mean in German, then?

05-25-2002, 08:18 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

L33t means 'Elite' its a hacker thing.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

05-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Originally posted by Jacob
L33t means 'Elite' its a hacker thing.
Oh. So I don't need to know it unless I plan on becoming a computer nerd, right?

05-25-2002, 09:19 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Or unless u r threatened by a Comp Nerd.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

05-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

On shakespears weird words, they should just convert all his plays to Ebonics.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.