01-29-2002, 05:25 PM
Shinjara
Thudslug

: Jan 2002
: Cumbria, England
: 171
Shinjara  (10)
Fave Types Of Music/Bands.

I was just wondering what types of music or bands you all like!

Mine is mainly in rock n i like bands like blink-182-, slipknot, New found glory, P.O.D and stuff like that.
01-29-2002, 06:35 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Ack, yet another fav band topic. Someone should at least do a favorite song topic...

Oh well, here goes my usual punk garbage:
1. Green Day
2. NOFX
3. Rancid
4. Sum 41
5. Blink 182 (sorta)
6. The Aquabats!
7. The Living End
Hmmm... I know I'm forgetting some stuff in my punk list... ah, I'll remember later...
Other good bands:
1. Gorillaz
2. System of a Down
Fav Composer:
1. Yoko Kanno
~~~Coming Soon~~~
1. The Strokes
2. The Ramones: Hey Ho Let's Go Anthology 2 disc set (I can't wait!)
01-29-2002, 06:50 PM
Shinjara
Thudslug

: Jan 2002
: Cumbria, England
: 171
Shinjara  (10)

Heh...I never knew you've had so many of these topics o_o ah well...i knew that this was a repeated topic

Post fave songs then aswell pplz..

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Shinjara ]
01-29-2002, 06:58 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

Favorite song of all time = The Decline by NOFX. An 18 minute masterpeice of pure defiance. Damn, I love that song...

EDIT: Boo-Yah! My Ed smiley worked!!!

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: SeaRex ]
01-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I have varied tastes, ranging from hard heavy metal, to classical and pop. Some artists I'm listening to lately are:
  • Aimee Mann
  • Slipknot
  • Jewel
  • Tori Amos
  • P.O.D.
  • Smashing Pumpkins
  • Madonna (don't laugh!)
  • Slaves on Dope
  • Beethoven
  • etc

01-29-2002, 11:49 PM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

: Dec 2001
: Port Orchard, Washington
: 3,506
Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)

finally, a slaves on dope fan!
woo right on Syd!
SeaRex..i gotta say man, Sum41? blink182? trendy bastards, it hurts my small but existant punk pride to know that you would consider them punk..gah.....
anyway my list will be somewhat long, but i'm sure you can all endure it.
-Snot
-Metallica
-Powerman5000
-Voodoo Glow Skulls
-Screaching Weasels
-RAMONES!
-Rancid
-Soulfly
-Sepultura
-White/Rob Zombie
-Slaves on Dope
-Camp Kill Yourself
-Cradle of Filth
-System of a Down
-Static-X
-Anthrax
-Coal Chamber
-Soil
-7Dust
-Marilyn Manson
-Pantera
-Switched (big band on the rise, watch for their album in march! check 'em out at
www.mp3.com/sw1tched )
-Halocreen (local band)
-Misfits
-OLD green day
gee i don't like rock or anything...i also enjoy classical music quite a bit....

Buy my T-shirts. People will like you more and I will hate you less.

01-30-2002, 02:52 AM
Melvin:squeeking paramite

: Apr 2001
: Bottom
: 879
Melvin:squeeking paramite  (12)

There have been so many music topics, and yet I don't think I've ever posted in one... well, I suppose I will....

My favorite types of music are rock(though not the newer heavy metal crap... yech), some punk, classical and... well, just random bands. Of course, the stuff I don't like: Rap, pop, hip hop, western, and any thing that shows absolutely no talent...

1: Pink Floyd
2: The Beatles (and some solo John Lennon and George Harrison)
3: Smashing Pumpkins
4: Radiohead
5: Clash (this is classic punk... so underlooked!)
6: Marilyn Manson
7: The Who
8: some of Green Day... (I haven't heard that much of theirs, but some of their older stuff is pretty good)
9: Beethoven
10: Elton John
11: Rolling Stones
12: hehehe, Space Ghost, Zorak and Brak...

I know I'm forgetting some, but those come to mind...
01-30-2002, 04:40 AM
Surfacing
Clakker Relic Miner

: Oz
: 887
Surfacing  (10)

Jeez i have never seen a topic like this b 4 (NOT!) ok well my fav band is well just look at my banner.

I also like:
Metallica
Fear Factory
Slayer
Limp Bizkit
Disturbed

And jazz (but i only listen to it when i'm about to sleep.)

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: Surfacing ]

01-30-2002, 04:55 AM
abe22
Sleg

: May 2001
: South/Eastern Victoria, Australia
: 680
abe22  (10)

The only tags I put on music Is "Great" and "Shit." There for I listen to "Great" but most of you people will think its crap Oh well.

The Beatles
John Lennon - "Imagine"
George Harrison - "Got My mind set on you"
The Eurythmics - "Sweat Dreams"
Billy Joel - "We didn't Start the fire" in this song hes singing about all these things that happened in the world just great rhyming.
Bobby Womack - "All the things we do when we're lonely"
Van Morrison - "Bright side of the road"
Stevie Wonder - "Part time lover"
Ben E King - "Stand by me"
B.B King - "My Lucille and Double Trouble"
Teddy Pentagrass - "Don't leave Me this way"
Bill Medley - "I've had the time Life and I'm Gonna Be strong"
And I like some classical music that my dads got on record like Beethoven great music.
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -- Jack Handy
That stuff only happens in the movies. -- Famous Last Words

01-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

For me hard rock or gothic please...

1 Rammstein ! ! !
2 Enigma
3 Era
4 The Offspring
5 Limp bizkit
6 Linkin Park
7 Gorrilaz

and others

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: Xavier ]

01-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

Way, Melv likes Pink Floyd as well...

(*reminds her of something scary on IM once* - Melv and another of my firends (who I know have never ever met... I think) were both online in IM with the EXACT SAME NAME!! (Comfortably Numb) which got damn comfusing. I reckon you must both be Floyd fans - either that or you're telepathically linked identical twins separated at birth, one of whom was put into cryogenic storage for a couple of years so he was a year or two "younger" than the other...)

As for musical tastes, I'll listen to pretty much anything. Preferrably something happy/bouncy (but NOT like Steps, Ugh, maufactured saccharine) but I don't think my tastes are very conservative. I have a few dislikes, however:
Britney Spears - SMACK HER!!! Augh, bad karma, bad karma... *runs round in circles screaming*
And others of that ilk (Atomic Kitten etc).
(Although some cheese is good for a laugh - "Kung Fu Fighting" per se, especially when it is sung by a hamster... )

*goes to investigate the "DNA music" she found on a site somewhere...*

Oh, and Melv...?

...Careful with that Axe, Eugene...

01-30-2002, 01:45 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2000
: upside down in a toilet bowl
: 1,552
One, Two, Middlesboogie  (10)

I like pretty much anything, with some exceptions. It'll be quicker to tell you what I don't like rather than what I do like.

Like Teal, I quite like happy stuff, but not in the Shitney Spears or Abominable Kitten league. (I actaully have Kung Fu Fighting on CD - how sad is that?!!)

I also dislike most rap and hip-hop. It's rapping with swearing in it that I dislike most; stuff like Will Smith is ok. I also quite like 57th Dynasty (v. obscure hip-hop act), and Eminem's always good for a laugh.
I hate country and western, and the pop end of the dance spectrum (Spice Girls, Eternal etc, yuck!). Oh yes, and garage. I used to like it, but it's too manufactured now.

I do like most other sorts of dance music; metal [NOT nu-metal! Nu-metal 'artists' are a disgrace to the metal genre, and they're just pop bands who think they're rock bands], preferably death metal or thrash metal; electronica; techno; hard house; progressive house; acid house; bigbeat; rave, and so on.

I also like classical; Jarre (his music doesn't fit into any category that I know of; it's a rock/classical/electronica fusion); some indie; reggae (the happy sort); calypso; soca; and most rock.

My favourite singers would have to be David Bowie and Annie Lennox. They both have beautiful voices and can sing really powerfully. I also like Eric Clapton, Paul Simon and Shirley Manson; they're good singers.

As for bands, in the strictest sense of the word, I like the Beatles, Dire Straits, Wet Wet Wet, Crowded House; Garbage (I think they play instruments); and the Rolling Stones.
If we're allowed to count computers and sequence work as being in a band, then I like (actually these are all duos [except the last four]; so 'band' might not even be the right word even if they did play 'real' instruments) Fluke; the Chemical Brothers; Basement Jaxx; Leftfield; Orbital; Autechre; Future Sound Of London (foursome); the Prodigy (were a foursome, now a threesome); CoLD SToRAGE (solo) and the Space Raiders (threesome, authors of the song Middlesboogie ).

I also like lots of obscure artists, and so I won't bore you by listing them all.

01-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

: Turku, Finland
: 492
Fazerina  (22)

*I love rock'n'roll!*

My fave bands are:

Finnish:
Hanoi Rocks
Hurriganes
Apulanta
Tehosekoitin
Don Huonot
Cliché
Tyrävyö
Dingo
Yö
Pelle Miljoona
Eppu Normaali
HIM

Others:
Aerosmith (old)
Bon Jovi (old)
U2
RHCP
The Beatles
The Monkees
Buddy Holly
Bee Gees
Janis Joplin
The Offspring
Metallica
AAF
Linkin Park
01-30-2002, 06:49 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Originally posted by Disgruntled Intern:
SeaRex..i gotta say man, Sum41? blink182? trendy bastards, it hurts my small but existant punk pride to know that you would consider them punk..gah....
Once again I must explain myself. First off, Sum 41 IS PUNK! Just becuase they have videos on MTV, doesn't mean they are posers. Might I remind you, Rancid also has numerous videos that have been aired on MTV. Secondly, I would like to direct you to the "(sorta)" a put beside blink 182. For at one time, they were punk. Which is why I put them with my punk list. And just becuase they aren't punk anymore, doesn't mean they can't play good music.

...So there you have it...
01-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Black Dragon
Riot Slug

: May 2001
: USA
: 574
Black Dragon  (10)

Hmmm... *decides to make an appearance*. Well, I mainly listen to rock, classical, and jazz being the weirdo that I am. Here's a few of the things I listen to.
  • Creed (Make fun of Creed, and you'll regret it)
  • NickelBack
  • 3 Doors Down
  • Weezer
  • Dave Mathews Band
  • Sound track from the movie "Gladiator"
  • Sound track from "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Mozart's woodwind concertos

Funny, eh? Well, I'll disappear into hiding again... *slips out*

01-31-2002, 12:22 AM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

: Port Orchard, Washington
: 3,506
Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)

uh
*makes fun of creed*
also sea rex..i tried posting a reply to your reply earlier but it didn't work..
anyway i dont think they're 'posers' i don't even think the idea of 'posers' is cool.
secondly, i didn't say they weren't punk because they play MTV alot, just because neither band is very punkish at heart, just at first glance.

Buy my T-shirts. People will like you more and I will hate you less.

01-31-2002, 08:36 AM
MudokonOddball
Sniper Wasp

: I forgot
: 285
MudokonOddball  (10)

I have some interesting taste in music:

1. Daft Punk
2. Dr. Pris and Dr. Rachel (Space Channel 5 Sountrack)
3. John Woodman and his Piccedelli Brass
4. Gorillaz
5. All the "Ecco the Dolphin" sountracks
6. The Ernies (from THPS 1)
7. Dvorak
and
8. UmJammer Lammy Sountrack

I told ya I had wierd taste.

01-31-2002, 06:30 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Originally posted by Disgruntled Intern:
anyway i dont think they're 'posers' i don't even think the idea of 'posers' is cool. secondly, i didn't say they weren't punk because they play MTV alot, just because neither band is very punkish at heart, just at first glance.
1. Posers/not punk, it means the same thing. I just didn't feel like typing out "not punk" over and over.
2. Alright, so you didn't mention anything about MTV, my bad. I do admit that blink 182 is pop now, but I don't have anything against non-Boy/Girl band pop. I do listen to Gorillaz. Blink 182 plays good pop, so I just wanted to explain why I put them on my list. I don't need to admit anything about Sum 41.

Hmmm... at least you put "at first glance." Over half the people I know wouldn't keep such an open mind about things.
01-31-2002, 07:30 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Ok, before I rant, I am confused. Searex, are you saying that all bands that are not Punk are "Posers"?

Anyway, I have replied to topics like this too many times, and have learned that the list of bands/genres that I like is just too long to list, so I have decided just to give you a general overview of what I like.

For a start, I don't really believe in Genres much. There is too much crossover between them, and there are good and bad bands in each Genre. However, I will give you a basic list of Genres I like/dislike, since they are at least useful for roughly describing music...

Rock, Indie, and Alternative - These Genres are so vague that it would be impossible to list the good and bad bands in them, since they encompass too much... I like a lot of them bands, though.

Metal: I am more discerning here. There is a lot of very poor metal out there. Marilyn Manson is acceptable, since (despite being a total Tit himself) he does at least have some talented people in his band. However, I despise:

Nu-Metal: Not even deserving of the word "Metal" in their title. Limp Biskit, Slipknot, Linkin Park, Papa Roach, etc... *shudders*

Trip-Hop: A marvellous genre encompassing some of my favourite bands, such as Portishead and Massive Attack. Not to be confused with:

Hip-Hop: Shite. The only word for it. I have yet to hear a Hip-Hop "Song" that I have not hated. Rap is almost as bad, but at least some (VERY few) Rappers have some kind of vague talent...

Dance: Dance is another of those vague genres, where a lot of things can be stuck in. I find most Dance Music irritating, as it all sounds the same to me. I find it odd that there are so many arbitrary distinctions (e.g. House, Garage, Hard House, Club, etc.), when there is little or no difference between them. However, there are some good Dance Producers, such as Moby and the Chemical Brothers. Actully, these are the only two Dance Producers that I have found with any kind of talent... Still, I haven't listened to much, so there may be more out there...

Commercial Pop: Kill, Kill!

Summary:
Generally:
Bad: Nu-Metal, Hip-Hop, Rap, Dance, Commercial Pop.
Good: Pretty much everything else, Particularly Rock, Indie, and Trip-Hop. I am especially fond of bands that do not fit into any genre, either by making music that is totally different, or by making music from many different genres. That takes talent...

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Rettick ]

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

*blinks*

*was listening to a piece by Dvorak when she read Oddball's post*

Am I psychic?

02-01-2002, 06:17 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Originally posted by Rettick:
Ok, before I rant, I am confused. Searex, are you saying that all bands that are not Punk are "Posers"?
*sigh* OF COUSE NOT!!! I'm only tlaking about bands that say they are punk, when they really couldn't be anything above Geek Rock or Alternative. They are POSING to be punk, hence, posers.
02-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Ah, I understand. I suppose I was just being awkward there, anyway...

What's "Geek Rock"?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-01-2002, 11:56 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

I wasn't going to answer this one... but seeing that there's a favorite song option too... I may as well.

Favorite music: Final Fantasy Music! Heavy Metal (mostly 90s), Alternative, Rock

Favorite Composter: Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy)

Favorite Band: Metallica

Favorite Songs:
- One Winged Angel (FFVII)
- Melodies of Life (FFIX/Shiratori Emiko)
- Suteki da Ne (FFX/Rikki)
- Eyes on Me (FFVIII/Faye Wong)
- Pray (FF Theme/Risa Ohki)
- The Unforgiven II (Metallica)
- The Memory Remains (Metallica)

OK... so my list doesn't have much variety... but that's what I'm into.

Abe Babe...

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Abe Babe ]

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

02-03-2002, 06:29 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

SeaRex  (33)

:
Originally posted by Rettick:
What's "Geek Rock"?
A fancy phrase for Pop-Punkish Rock. If you guys in 'across the pond' have heard of Weezer or They Might Be Giants, it's kinda like that.
02-03-2002, 06:32 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

I never knew unjammer lammy had a soundtrack.

02-03-2002, 06:36 PM
MakaveliThaDon
Chippunk

: Chattanooga, TN
: 22
MakaveliThaDon  (10)

rap rap rap rap.....2pac is, was, and always will be the greatest rapper of all time, some others i like are

NAS
Canibus
Rakim
Mobb Deep
02-15-2002, 07:02 PM
MunchOnThis
Clakker Store Clerk

: Feb 2002
: Thames Wharf...(under the church) ^_^
: 757
MunchOnThis  (10)
Native

I love RHCP,Garbage,Coolio,Jamirquai,Sonique,Fugees,Ash and Moby.
Coolio is the BEST rapper ever!!!
These are my favourite songs by all these bands:

RHCP~I'm Falling Into Grace With You
Garbage~I Think I'm Paranoid
Coolio~I Remember
Jamirquai~Soul Eduaction
Sonique~Feels So Good
Fugees~Cowboys
Ash~There's A Star
Moby~South Side/Natural Blues/Run On.

"Won't somebody testify, kick a hole right in the sky..
Testify, testify kick a hole right in the sky
Slap a liar in his eye, kick a hole right in the sky
Tesify, testify kick a hole right in the sky
Johnny, Johnny Johnny..."
~ RHCP, Johnny kick a hole in the sky

Last edited by MunchOnThis; 02-22-2002 at 10:54 PM..