Oddworld Forums > Zulag Three > Fan Corner

12-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

: Aug 2007
: classified
: 167
Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)
Invisible Fist (story)

Seeing just how much good stories are being written nowadays on OFW I also wanted to try and composed this. Although I'm not a talent in story-writing and never wanted to be one I feel like writing some sci-fi-like thing on Oddworld theme. I hope you enjoy this.

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

Chapter 1. Introduction.

Ferven was an industrial city surrounded by numerous factories, warehouses and depots. The city itself was built in the giant canyon as the glukkons decided it would be cheaper design other than to build skyscrapers from the ground level. Dark concrete buildings rose from the bottom of the canyon to the ground and above, those buildings were covered in an intricate network of monorails, traverses, walkways, pipes and cables so the whole city looked as a giant ant-hive. The city was directly connected to the factories. Every morning mudokon and slig workers from the lower levels flooded the dirty walkways leading to each factory’s entry.

The lower levels of the city were inhabited by both mudokon slaves, sligs and muds lucky enough to earn some money and buy themselves out of slavery. The basement of the city was always covered in water that was pumped out to the factories to be used as coolant liquid and than again flushed down just like in the coolant tower. The lower and basement levels were dark and dirty, the walkways were covered in rust, some unsafe to use on and some already ruined. If one looked up he couldn’t see skylight through all those pipes, catwalks and air vents that filled the space between buildings. Multiple metal constructions were used to reinforce building whose old basements were damaged by constantly being drowned in the water.

The middle levels of the city were somewhat more illuminated and cared of, they were inhabited by intern, vykker and mudokon qualified technicians and engineers, wannabe glukkon managers and other more well-fairing people.

The upper levels, which were open to sunlight and clean, housed elite quarters of rich and high-ranking glukkons and vykkers, offices of powerful corporations, Government office, main railway station and other important places.

Vren was one of more lucky sligs that were able to get a job different from underpaid guard duty or low level technician. Vren worked at high levels of the city in the International Confederation Of Mudos Internal Security Agensy office. Vren was a professional sniper and also had been trained to be an infiltrator, but since work at the agency was mostly nothing but paperwork he had lost his skills considerably during all those years he’d been working there. Most of people in ICMISA were chroniclers who were much more used to paperwork and law procedures, but sligs were used to help during different on-site investigations or routine checkups. However ICMISA also possessed specially equipped slig corps used as assassinators and enforcers.

Vren was saving money to buy quarters in the middle levels but for now he lived on level 27 of the city that was a low level. Lower levels were unsafe place to live. Poor structural integrity of the constructions was only one of dangers. The place was home to criminal mudokons and sligs. Rumor Control even reported mudokon rebels lurking in basement levels and hideouts with illegal weaponry storage. Anyway, even after Soulstorm Brewery and Vykkers Labs atrocity Glukkon government paid little attention to what was going in those slums. However, level 27 was much safer than those below, inhabited only by mudokon slaves and poor sligs.

It was morning, but still to early, so Vren lied on his bed, sleeping. Suddenly he was woken up by a ringing telephone. He left his bed, irritated by this unpleasantly early call. Through all this time he worked in ICMISA office he worked out an instinctive repulsion to the sound of telephone. That was the head of his department calling. A glukkon of the Magog family named Verner.

-This in Vren, Nr. 90945, listening.
-90945, I need you at the office ASAP! We have an important inspection on Erpher Chemicals so I need most qualified staff there. I have appointed you as the co-leader of this inspection. You will receive further information in the office.
-Gotcha sir, I’m en route!

Vren cursed on the fact that that he had to leave so early but in the general he was glad to leave the city and the boring office work. So he went to the kitchen to have his breakfast and carry on.

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

Please, post your opinion on this chapter. If you like it I'll write more.

Last edited by Admiral Zaarin; 12-11-2009 at 03:21 AM..
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
AlexFili
Wolvark Shooter

: Feb 2009
: NorthWest of England
: 3,127
AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)AlexFili  (1280)

Sounds neat

[B]
I stream games and art now!
http://twitch.tv/ZephyrFloofyDerg
floofyderg.live

12-11-2009, 12:32 AM
enchilado
I don't even know!

: Nov 2009
: Brisbane, Australia
: 2,749
enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

I'm sorry, I'd really like to read this (as Alex's comment is a lot more positive than his usual 'sounds good so far') but I absolutely refuse to read such great blocks of text.

Please break it down into smaller paragraphs, with spacing between each one, and then I will read it.
12-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Admiral Zaarin
Thudslug

: Aug 2007
: classified
: 167
Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)Admiral Zaarin  (229)

I see my writing have some positive wellcome so I'll write more and maybe try to make some 3D art to illustrate the story. Sorry if it takes me a while to post further parts but I have ongoing session and I'm very busy with studies.

12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
enchilado
I don't even know!

: Nov 2009
: Brisbane, Australia
: 2,749
enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

I read it. It seems pretty good
12-18-2009, 06:22 AM
scipionyx
Riot Slug

: May 2008
: Location.
: 585
scipionyx  (399)scipionyx  (399)scipionyx  (399)scipionyx  (399)

I found some time to read this and I think the concept of this city is quite inspiring ^^

I'm interrested how the story will continue

˙·٠ The Captured Ones curretnly on hold ٠·˙
˙·٠► .The Capturers. curretnly on hold ◄٠·˙
˙·٠ W3-7 ٠·˙
˙·٠ OW-Art Thread ٠·˙