Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Non-Oddworld Gaming

06-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)
Final Boss Fight! - WARNING: Lots of Spoilers

I finished Bioshock yesterday. Loved the game but thought the final boss fight was just pointless and way too easy. For those that haven't played it, you just need to avoid his blasts, do enough damage to him that he goes back to his rejuvenation pod thing (which no intelligent fighter ever would, because he's vulnerable in that position) and then jab him with a syringe that sucks the mystical juice out of him.

So it got me thinking about other games that I've played and how they dealt with the final battle. Stranger's Wrath was equally pointless: dodging behind repeatedly falling masonry and attack Sekto's machine but never attack Sekto himself.

Psychonauts was okay, but you play the final boss(es) about three times and it's pretty much the same thing each time, with very little tactics involved.

Beyond Good and Evil was pretty good; you had to memorise the boss's attack pattern and hit him with the right timing, which was irritating, but they mixed it up by 'hypnotising' the character and switching the controller buttons around. Some people hated it, but I thought it was an interesting twist.

Anyway, what were your favourite or least favourite final boss battles?

06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

Aye, BG&E was rather vexing for me, but still fun, if that even makes sense. I thought that boss was pretty cool how it relied on that giant anthropic "tool" to do all of its crazy magic stuff. I also really liked how Jade used the same tool to free all of the people trapped in the sarcophagi.

I still haven't been able to beat the final boss/level in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. First, you have to hack your way through this long-ass level full of dangerous traps and monsters (consistent with all boss levels). Then, you come to the giant, miasma-spewing parasite. After you defeat his three stages, a demon transports you to another dimension just before you land the finishing blow. Next, you have a trivia session with a goddess and every time you answer incorrectly, a fucking difficult monster called a Minion appears and attacks you. If you survive, she takes you to the lair of the demon who brought you there who is particulary hard to beat if you're playing in single-player mode. He obviously uses devestating attacks and has a huge lifespan, but he attacks with the same monions as before, and they respawn instantly. But the icing on the cake is that when you finally beat him, he fuses with the goddess and becomes a super-huge badass mother fucker who takes out nearly all of your life with one hit of his attacks. You also have to pick up these magicites which are the transmutations of your memories that the monster sucks out of you with its tail (you collect them with every event you see throughout the game). To transmute them, you have to use Cure on them and you heal the monster if you accidentally hit him with it. They're also really hard to hit since the camera angle is really bad. If you run out of them, you lose and start over from the beginning of the game. Good news is that they each contain the highest forms of magic. So, you have some pretty kickass ammo.

I'm not a big subscriber to the FF series. So, forgive me if I'm not really pointing out anything special, but I generally enjoyed the bosses in that game. I thought they all had interesting designs and each one required a unique strategy to beat it ranging from button smashing to carefully thought out procedures.

And Pikmin, of course!

Last edited by used:); 06-21-2009 at 08:32 PM..
06-21-2009, 09:09 PM
bobtheguy
Bola Blast

: May 2009
: location unknown
: 438
bobtheguy  (37)

one of (in my opinion) the worst final boss battles is
james bond nightfire, where you battle this guy called drake... I think that was his name, anyway you battle him in space and all you have to do is shoot rapidly at him while floating through space trying not to get hit by his lazer guns lazers. but before you do that you have to stop his space station's missiles from firing at the earth and destroying certain places on it, that he needed destroyed so that, I think it was so that he could take over the world, well anyway you stop the missiles by going to them and braking their navigating systems so they go off target and don't hit earth, this is annoying, because it takes so long to get to them, because of zero gravity in space, and also astronauts are shooting at you with lazer guns and you have to shoot them while de-activating the missiles. so basically it's just a long and boring level. but I liked the rest of the game besides that last boss battle
-slig assasin fan game in progress, GRAPHICS UPDATE, click the link below...

06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Fil The Slig
Boombat

: Nov 2007
: Holland
: 242
Fil The Slig  (-66)

used,u stole that Avatar from Chocodubiedammiechododubbie!

06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Fil The Slig, is this thread titled 'Where Did You Steal That Avatar From?'?

Please keep personal conversations to PMs and not turn threads offtopic.

Last edited by Nate; 06-22-2009 at 12:05 AM.. : I'm going to claim that the dangling preposition was intentional satire
06-22-2009, 12:42 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

The final boss battle in Stranger's Wrath was sort of spiced up with those Gloktigi. After beating those, finishing Sekto was a cooldown fight.

The Incredible Hulk has a rather bad FBB, in my opinion. The Abomination is practically invulnerable, unless you hit him with at least four fully charged special attacks... which only causes him to lose consciousness for a few seconds, during which you can hit him. And just when you thought that you defeated him, he recovers after a cutscene. Yes, another half hour of fun gaining enough rage to muscle out those special attacks... Some of the lesser boss battles are a lot of fun, though.

Bully's FBB was relatively easy, but enjoyable. Climbing the school tower, avoiding stuff Gary's throwing at you (mostly a cartwheel of bricks), then engaging him at the top of the tower in a normal fist fight without him having any special powers was sort of refreshing.

In Mafia, defeating Sam was alright, but annoying to some extent. The Tommy Gun he used was a bit too accurate and overpowered... Well, nothing a well-aimed handgrenade can't fix...

I might remember some more and post them later on.

06-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Laser
Outlaw Sniper

: Nov 2006
: Devon
: 1,686
Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)

Hitman's "Final Bossfight" will always be in my mind

I killed them both in one move...with one bomb and that was it...

Also No More Heros' final boss fight (the true ending) was just mentally cool and full of plot twists and random shizzle to fry any brain.

OH OH! Also Shadow Of The Colossus' final boss fight was a bastard...but well worth the effort

06-22-2009, 07:57 AM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

:
used,u stole that Avatar from Chocodubiedammiechododubbie!
Yes. Currently, the World Organization of Old Confectionery Advertisements is tracking me down. You Dutch with your Hague, thinking you can take the law into your own hands.

Yeah, Malus from SoTC was a bitch, but still very fun and epic.

06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Daxter King
Outlaw Bomber

: Oct 2005
: Texas
: 2,207
Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)Daxter King  (2137)

Gears of War 2 is the definition of disappointing last boss, its basicly an interactive cut scene.
06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
bobtheguy
Bola Blast

: location unknown
: 438
bobtheguy  (37)

:
Bully's FBB was relatively easy, but enjoyable. Climbing the school tower, avoiding stuff Gary's throwing at you (mostly a cartwheel of bricks), then engaging him at the top of the tower in a normal fist fight without him having any special powers was sort of refreshing.
I've heard of that game, do you just beat up people? or do you get hired to?
-slig assasin fan game in progress, GRAPHICS UPDATE, click the link below...

06-22-2009, 09:10 AM
dripik
Maintain Integrity

: Aug 2002
: Budapest, Hungary
: 2,116
dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)dripik  (997)

:
I've heard of that game, do you just beat up people? or do you get hired to?
It practically follows the classic GTA pattern (well, it's a R* game, afterall), placed in a boarding school and neighbouring towns. You usually go against one school group at a time, which earns you respect in the eyes of the group which gave you the mission, so in this meaning, you get hired, yes. Don't think it's just about beating up other kids without consequences, though. From the moment the game starts, you get 'bullied' by the other groups, so you have some motivation to strike back. Oh, and has great music as well.

Speaking of GTA, those games had some interesting boss battles too. I'd say Vice City had the simplest of them all. Shooting everyone that moves in your mansion pretty much sums it up.

San Andreas had a rather long and, at first impression, frustrating boss battle, but there were ways to make it easier (being fireproof and the use of a Minigun, for instance). The car chase after the shooting was... well, tough. Needed a few goes at it to pass.

GTA4 was relatively fun, with some epic stunts included, but the ending was a bit weak, IMO. An additional cutscene similarly as in SA would have been neat...

06-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

*After reading first post*

Ever tried equipping all the wrench affecting upgrades? Too easy :P.

Hardest final boss would be the alien/brain/computerthingymajig from Kabuki: Quantum Fighter
- And you're still a dick.

06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

:
Ever tried equipping all the wrench affecting upgrades? Too easy :P.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did, with the exception of the frozen wrench thing. Shattering enemies to bits may be fun, but it limits what I can salvage from their corpses.

06-22-2009, 06:58 PM
UnknownSlig
Stingbee

: Jun 2009
: Somewhere over the rainbow
: 84
UnknownSlig  (32)

:
Hitman's "Final Bossfight" will always be in my mind

I killed them both in one move...with one bomb and that was it...

Also No More Heros' final boss fight (the true ending) was just mentally cool and full of plot twists and random shizzle to fry any brain.

OH OH! Also Shadow Of The Colossus' final boss fight was a bastard...but well worth the effort
Shadow Of The Colssus final boss battle is very easy once you figure out your not trying to attack the thing head on.

....Or maybe I'm just so used to battling the guy I forgot how hard he can be the first time

Final Fantasy X's final boss fight can be a bit hard if you didn't give Kamari doom and such.

98% of teens would be dead if Twilight said breathing wasn't cool. Post this if you are apart of the 2% laughing.

06-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Wings of Fire
Beautiful Bastard

: Dec 2007
: Stafford
: 9,537
Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)Wings of Fire  (13656)

No, Final Fantasy X has the easiest and shittest final boss fight ever.

He's only possible to lose against if you deliberately screw yourself over.
“I always believe the movies I've made are smarter than the way they are perceived by sort of mass culture and by the critics,” Snyder said, a statement he immediately followed by saying, “Also, ‘It looks like a video game.’

06-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

: Jan 2003
: 気持ちপ
: 4,311
Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)

Motherfucking Flandre Scarlet from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

I can get to her, but never win.
rock band, jazz band,
karate, kendo, mahjong, cyborg, synchronized swimming...
On the other hand, high school boys are
useless outside battle and sports anime.
But they're recklessly trying to make a slice-of-life anime about us.
Ah, we are high school boys,
the miserable high school boys.

06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Can scenarios count as boss fights? The first time I played Left 4 Dead it was just me and one other, on No Mercy, on the second highest difficulty level. Fucking hard.

I'm really struggling to think of any hard last bosses. All the modern games I've played, assuming they had bosses at all, the last was always crap. Even in my old games, the last boss has always been utterly overshadowed by a previous one in terms of gameplay, even flavour. I think it is because you traditionally destroy the Dragon before the Big Bad, who is less effective in combat. But that is their job descriptions: Dragon: hard to beat. Big Bad: orchestrated the whole fucking game. You've got to give them that.

06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

: Aug 2006
: Exquisite Squalor
: 5,657
Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

Motherfucking Alpha.

It's hard to put into words how he's difficult because you need to understand the Battle System in the Megaman Battle Network games.
-He has a 2 stage regenerating barrier, meaning that you need to open one, then another half before you can damage him. It returns within seconds.
-He never stops attacking for more than a single second. You are assaulted nonstop by his arms, then he shoots a laser that either fucks your field over or damages you a ton. This is usually the second attack he uses.
-He'll randomly generate Machine guns and damage you without letting you flinch. If you're stuck in a corner you can say goodbye to a ton of health.
-In his lower health form, he'll use an almost impossible to dodge lightning attack that can hit you 3 times even if you're a competent dodger.
-All of this following a battle with another regenerating enemy who attacks in 100 damage increments.
Hardest boss of the series, hands down.

06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Nemesis in Black and White. You are pitched against the Big Bad, who has access to almost every miracle, unlimited prayer power, almost every culture and wonder thereof, the best creature, and a very hostile one at that, and unlimited resources. Meanwhile, you are given enough resources to feed a population of twenty people and build two large abodes, while your creature is cursed and thus nerfed in almost every way imaginable. If you try using your creature to convert the villages miles out of your influence (ie, all of them) then that triggers Nemesis' AI to continuously send his to your meagre village and raise it to the ground over and over while you are helpless to respond, and if by some miracle you actually manage to achieve even the slightest victory and convert an village, Nemesis' response is to raise the village to the ground. If you actually get enough to break the curse on your creature, a wave of destruction courses over the land, actually destroying the entire island save his own corner miles away.

The only way to have a hope in hell of defeating him is spending several days worth of gameplay dumping resources into the vortex from the previous level, and even then, good luck! It'll last about an in-game year, the time it takes to build the village centre and a few token buildings automatically.

06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Fuzzle King
Rabid Fuzzle

: Aug 2007
: Surrey,United Kingdom
: 532
Fuzzle King  (68)

Does a end level count? because mile high club on veteran difficulty on cod4 had me ripping my hair out. Got it eventually though.
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Dixanadu
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Northern Ireland, UK
: 2,387
Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)

Mundis in Devil May Cry would be my all-time favourite.

As for my worst... Tai Lung in Kung Fu Panda. Fuck, that was easy but equally annoying. Anyone who's had the willpower to experience that, will get what I mean.

06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Fuzzle King
Rabid Fuzzle

: Aug 2007
: Surrey,United Kingdom
: 532
Fuzzle King  (68)

Yes i know what you mean. Plus it ends stupidly as well.
He grabs the tigers pinky in a 'legendary finger hold' and the whole plus blows up, killing him. WTF???
06-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)Mac Sirloin  (7645)

The final level of Part 1 of the Empire campaign in Star Wars Battlefront 2 faces you up against the Jedi temple. After getting the all the CP's, protecting a glowing library and making a pair of Crystal Meth Deliveries you're put up against 3 Jedi masters. I kill them, and a ton of new Soldiers spawn in. I'm the only Trooper left (reinforcements depleted) and I have to run away using one of the slower classes. I lost several times.

06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Dixanadu
Outlaw Semi Auto

Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)Dixanadu  (2094)

It never followed the films plot. WHY WERE THERE GORILLAS IN THE GAME!?

:
The final level of Part 1 of the Empire campaign in Star Wars Battlefront 2 faces you up against the Jedi temple. After getting the all the CP's, protecting a glowing library and making a pair of Crystal Meth Deliveries you're put up against 3 Jedi masters. I kill them, and a ton of new Soldiers spawn in. I'm the only Trooper left (reinforcements depleted) and I have to run away using one of the slower classes. I lost several times.
To be honest, I gave up entirely on that last year and never attempted it again. That, and Red Faction 2's final boss. They're all ridiculously over-difficult.

06-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Mac Sirloin
Less worse

I stick to class system games no matter how difficult. One of the reasons I loved the Conker remake was the new multiplayer, the old is fantastic, but Dat Fucken' Sniper.

06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Strike Witch
Laserguns!

: Jan 2003
: 気持ちপ
: 4,311
Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)Strike Witch  (4900)

I'm kinda surprised nobody batted an eyelid at my video.
rock band, jazz band,
karate, kendo, mahjong, cyborg, synchronized swimming...
On the other hand, high school boys are
useless outside battle and sports anime.
But they're recklessly trying to make a slice-of-life anime about us.
Ah, we are high school boys,
the miserable high school boys.

06-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Laser
Outlaw Sniper

: Nov 2006
: Devon
: 1,686
Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)Laser  (1482)

:
I'm kinda surprised nobody batted an eyelid at my video.
We've come to expect it, Ghost

Also Zeno Clash's final boss fight is pure awesome

06-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I couldn't get past the boss in Nibelheim Mansion (FF7) so much so that I had to ask a friend over to do it for me

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

06-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Dixanadu
Outlaw Semi Auto

:
Speaking of Final Fantasy, I couldn't get past the boss in Nibelheim Mansion (FF7) so much so that I had to ask a friend over to do it for me

Alcar...
He's optional, though. I only attempt it if I'm about three levels higher than the recommended level.

Speaking of FF7, the Materia Keeper on Mt. Nibel was probably the most ignorant boss I ever faced in that game. Hell, even Safer Sephiroth wasn't that bad compared to him.

06-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

He was never optional for me! At least, I didn't know he could be...

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate