04-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Neillithan
Zappfly

: Mar 2007
: Springfield, IL
: 10
Neillithan  (10)
Abe's Oddysee and Exoddus complete

I played Abe's Oddysee and beat it, and then I absolutely had to play Abe's Exoddus. It was so fun that I played it twice and I can't believe I started playing it a third time. I love these games.. There really is nothing else like them.

Some things bothered me about Abe's Exoddus though. I was a little disappointed to find out Elum did not return. I didn't really like how it all boils down to levels instead of that adventure feel they start you off with. It's hard to describe it. (I'm not really good with words) I feel as if it could have had a better way to end the game instead of just 5 doorways leading to 5 different areas.. and the 5th always leading to more doorways. I was expecting the game to become more and more unusual. I think it started to get sloppy when the Glukkons would reappear after you possessed and killed them. Usually killing them would result in your death.

I was also sort of disappointed to find out that scrabs, paramites and fleeches didn't play a bigger role in the ending of Abe's Exoddus. Scrab's and Paramites sort of seem irrelevant in Exoddus as opposed to them being snacks in Rupture farms. But I guess it makes sense... Exoddus was about brew made from bones dugg up in the Necrum mines and Abe's Oddysee was about turning scrabs and paramites into snacks.

I think it would be interesting if Abe were to travel back in time and have to solve puzzles using Meeches... maybe perhaps Meeches were even more badass than Scrabs! haha. I haven't played Munch's Oddysee or Stranger's Wrath yet, so I'm hoping they highlight on the Meeches and what they were like if they were scary or what not.

I really liked these two games... I just hope the next two games are every bit as good. Can anybody give me an idea as to what to expect? Do they retain their action puzzle adventure genre mix or do they change for worse?
04-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Hi there, Neillithan, and welcome to the Oddworld Forums. Your love of Oddworld shows clearly, and I agree that Abe’s Oddysee and Abe’s Exoddus are absolutely classic games.

Quite a few people were upset that Elum didn’t return in Abe’s Exoddus. It was really down to technical limitations. Even worse is that Elum hasn’t returned since (although you can see some in Munch’s Oddysee—​sort of). I understand what you mean by the Zulags in SoulStorm Brewery making the game seem so clearly divided into levels, but it was OWI’s way of making the game just a little bit more open‐ended, as players can select which order to complete the Zulags in.

Scrabs and Paramites aren’t really part of Exoddus’s story, but they do add greatly to the gameplay, atmosphere, scale, and background of the game. Enjoy it while it lasts. Their appearances in Munch’s Oddysee are mere cameos, and they are generally regarded as being out‐of‐character. Their behaviour is different, and the sounds they make are different. They aren’t in Stranger’s Wrath at all.

It is inevitable that we will see Meeches one day, but most likely this will be in the form of a vision or flashback. Maybe a forgotten population of Meeches is discovered, or maybe they are brought back from extinction through Vykkers science. I don’t think actual time travel will be involved.

Munch’s Oddysee and Stranger’s Wrath are very different games. MO retains some of the charm, mystery and quirkiness of the Abe games, but its style is quite different. It is more cartoony, with annoying sound effects left, right and centre, and the gameplay is very repetitive. Some of the ‘puzzles’ are actually just tests of patience. But there is a lot to like, with some truly beautiful cinematics and expanded understanding of the Oddworld universe.

Stranger’s Wrath is a completely separate story that doesn’t feature Abe, Munch, Glukkons, Mudokons, or most of the past cast. The only returning characters are Fuzzles and one Vykker. Most noticeably the game is a first‐person shooter, with a strong Western style for the first half. The new protagonist, Stranger, is a little hard to sympathize with because he hides his emotions and, unlike Abe and Munch, is a physically strong character who uses muscle and shooting to defeat his enemies. The style is very different to previous games, but the core spirit of Oddworld is very much there, and the gameplay is the best the series has had (unless you dislike FPS games). The new characters… are controversial. Some are radical and were instantly loved by fans. Some are not so cool.

Alright, hopefully some of that will be of help to you.

04-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Stranger's Wrath, with the western-theme, would have been the perfect time for the return of elums.

04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
ziggy
Grubb Fisherman

: Jul 2006
: Triland
: 981
ziggy  (137)ziggy  (137)

i know man, i miss the elums!! They should have made Abe's pet way more of an important character imo

04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Neillithan
Zappfly

: Springfield, IL
: 10
Neillithan  (10)

Thanks for the welcome.

Can't believe Paramites and Scrabs have been reduced to mere appearances in the later game(s), but Oddworld isn't out of surprises yet! I am behind them 100% with whatever they plan to do.

I think it would be awesome of they made a fully 3d sidescrolling version that is more in tune with the Abe's Oddysee / Exoddus duo. I have thought about the limitations it might impose, but I'm not entirely convinced it's impossible. Given today's graphics capabilities, it doesn't seem out of reach. I have thought about the cool camera angles and camera transitions that are possible in a 3D world. I'm not talkin about Lemmings 3d here. LOL

I'm gonna rent Munch's Oddysee and play it. I really hope it's good. I won't feel bad about playing it either because I have finally got around to beating the prior games. ^^
04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
ziggy
Grubb Fisherman

: Jul 2006
: Triland
: 981
ziggy  (137)ziggy  (137)

:
Thanks for the welcome.
I think it would be awesome of they made a fully 3d sidescrolling version that is more in tune with the Abe's Oddysee / Exoddus duo. I have thought about the limitations it might impose, but I'm not entirely convinced it's impossible. Given today's graphics capabilities, it doesn't seem out of reach. I have thought about the cool camera angles and camera transitions that are possible in a 3D world. I'm not talkin about Lemmings 3d here. LOL
that's like what everybody says but ya that's what I want them to do too. All of a sudden when they started doing stuff in 3D like in MO, it became looking a little cartoonish and too much like the sterotypical platform game.

04-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Apr 2006
: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Nah, they have to keep moving forward, and there's no market for 2D games anymore. The 3D games just suffered a lack of support and/or restrictions imposed by their publishers.

04-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Lorne and Sherry had nothing but the greatest of compliments to say about GT Interactive back at GameCity. Their support, dedication and enthusiasm were highly instrumental in getting AO and AE the promotion and localization they needed to become international gaming classics.

GT Interactive > Microsoft, EA Games, Majestic

04-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Zerox
Outlaw Mortar

: May 2006
: Um...RealWorld?
: 1,943
Zerox  (154)Zerox  (154)

:
Nah, they have to keep moving forward, and there's no market for 2D games anymore.
Sonic Rush? New Super Mario Bros., anyone? 2D games are still awesome. Why does everyone say there's no market for them?
04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Those would be examples of retro games based on extremely popular licenses. If OWI were to put out another 2d game now, they'd be trying to create a following from almost nothing. It can't be compared to Mario, where millions of people would buy the games no matter what genre they were in.

04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

: Beneath the sink
: 1,157
skillyaslig  (124)skillyaslig  (124)

2-D 3-D...as long as its entertaing I'll play its...