Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

03-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Jul 2001
: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

I pirate all the time. Its not "fighting the system". Its being a cheap person who doesn't want to wait two weeks for a CD they haven't even heard.
Here is the deal: Many of the Cds I want are not carried physically. I have two options: Order it and wait half a month. Option number Two is a lot better: Buy it for pennies a song if I can't outright download it for free. I got Kazaa and BitTorrent on my computer and if I can't turn up a song using those I buy them from a site like www.allofmp3.com
Money is too tight to blow it on ordering obscure imports at 16 bucks a pop.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

03-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

:
What if it's only one or two songs on the CD that are good and the rest is crap?
Well, I own many CDs like that. I also own many I don't like the songs on much at all, but I buy them because I need to finish collections or whatever.

I have no problem with downloading a couple of songs though. It's whole album piracy which I am against. So if you only want a couple of songs, just get those songs, not all of them for free.
03-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

So I can pick and choose my fave songs as long as its not the whole album? I call bull. Stealing is stealing and if you're gonna do it just put the biscuit in the basket and download the whole friggin' album.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

03-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

... Why would you download songs you don't like...?

How is downloading two songs any different than listening to those songs on the radio?
04-05-2006, 10:12 PM
General Drippik
Outlaw Shooter

: Australia
: 1,339
General Drippik  (11)

:
How is downloading two songs any different than listening to those songs on the radio?
You can listen to them over and over.

04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Hahaha I just got an e-mail from an artist rights orginisation for trying to sell illegal DVD's on auction sites. Didn't think they were actualy checking up on it.

Anyone want the first season of Prison Break on DVD?

No... aaaaalrighty then...

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

04-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Most of my downloaded mp3s I actually own the album for now, but I have a few random songs and that that I don't ... simply becasue I really don't like the artist enough to go out and buy an entire album. In some cases I only like one of their songs.

I mostly listen to video game music though, and unless you can order online, it is really difficult to purchase.

There's another problem with video game music which also exists for fans of anime music. Anyone who has been to an anime store has probably seen the soundtracks on sale. Well the fact is that the majority of such soundtracks are actually pirated versions from Hong Kong or Korea and not the official Japanese release. In almost all case, the CDs are identical in cover art, etc ... however sound quality is less and also the serial numbers are different. IMO this is even worse than downloading mp3s, because someone is making money off it and not the original artist. And also many fans that don't know this fact are actually purchasing pirated CDs from legitimate stores without even realizing it. When I first started listening to FF music I too purchased pirate CDs without knowing about it. It wasn't until a year or so later I fount out about this practice. Very few stores in Australia and the US actually sell the legitimate CDs also which is a real shame.

As for downloading movies, I don't care for doing that. I was a huge advocate against anti-dowloading for Advent Children and we put up disclaimers on the site saying that we wouldn't support that kind of thing. But aside from that, I hate watching stuff on my computer, and I don't have a DVD burner, so really there is no use for even bothering.

I also wonder why people on eBay are allowed to sell pirated stuff. I guess eBay doesn't care and there must be a legal loophole to allow such. I see pirated CDs and DVDs on there all the time. Not sure about games/software though.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I only download to fill gaps and/or explore new stuffs. But I always make an attempt to buy when I can, particularly in the case of indendent artists. Money is so very annoying when you don't have it...
04-06-2006, 10:15 PM
General Drippik
Outlaw Shooter

General Drippik  (11)

I prefer bought CDs because they look cooler, and you can brag about your collection. But I'm a criminal.

04-11-2006, 03:44 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

:
But I'm a criminal.
OMG I'm so impressed by your internet braggings, we're all going to think you're so much of a hard gangster type now. You're so fucking cool.

04-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Lets stab him 9 times and make him even cooler!

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

04-12-2006, 10:13 PM
General Drippik
Outlaw Shooter

General Drippik  (11)

:
OMG I'm so impressed by your internet braggings, we're all going to think you're so much of a hard gangster type now. You're so ****ing cool.
Gee, and I said it because I want you all to think I'm hardcore, not because it's the truth. Stop stirring shit you dolt.