03-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Fuzzleman54321
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2005
: Here and there.....Everywhere!
: 545
Fuzzleman54321  (10)
Mad War!

If we had a war with Oddworld,(Please don't be mad at me for suggesting it!) who do you think will win? Us or Oddworld?

I'm back because there is news! wooh movie!

03-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Mar 2004
: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

Probaly us, with all the mass distruction. But then agian, Mudokon can do majic. It depends what sutiation your in. But that would never ever happen.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Biggy Bro Slig
Clakker Store Clerk

: Jun 2003
: Monsaic Lines
: 759
Biggy Bro Slig  (24)

Us.
Nuclear Weapons.

03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
UnforgivingEdges
Stunk

: San Luis Obispo, CA
: 43
UnforgivingEdges  (10)

:
Us.
Nuclear Weapons.
If Mudokans can possess a fart, I think they can possess a nuclear bomb.
03-08-2005, 11:20 AM
T-nex
Frosties and Buttsex

: Aug 2003
: Denmark
: 4,811
T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)T-nex  (3441)

:
LOL! That was the strangest thing i've ever heard! LOL! I think it would take more mudokons to posses a nuclear-bomb.
Wil siger (17:13):
Hey, I have massive nuts. :@

============

03-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Fuzzles!
Howler Punk

: Canada
: 329
Fuzzles!  (10)

:
I don't know...I think UnforgivingEdges brings up a migthy fine point!!!

VaniLLaKiLLah rocks! She made my sig!

03-08-2005, 11:28 AM
thatbluebastard
Thudslug

: Toledo, Ohio
: 167
thatbluebastard  (10)

a nuclear bomb is technically a machine and as such, abe couldn't possess it.

there's no real reason abe can possess his fart. i don't think there's supposed to be.
03-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Cyber-Slig

: Jul 2004
: Mongolia
: 1,225
Cyber-Slig  (10)

Abe shouldn't be able to possess his fart. Possess means, to misplace the soul of a body, and change it with another. A fart, is bowel gases, therefore, no soul. A nuke, is but a mixture of Metal, plutonium, Nuclear Radiation and what not. Even Munch cannot possess it, as it has no means of movement, therefore it is inanimate. No, rockets don't count. And we would win. If you did some research, you would learn of a battle between romans, and British Barbarians. 2000 Romans, vs 80000+ barbarians. The romans won. The sheertacticts they used. Well, Oddworld creatures, are not trained to use weapons. Maybe the muds are, but industrialists, hell no. Our armies would take formations, and fire behins cover, whereas an army of sligs charging, would just jumble and fall. Not to mention, a battlefield is cramped, and sligs running at full speed, will cause them to trip up, fall over, and become cannon fodder. Mud weapons would not even penetrate our armour.
03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
thatbluebastard
Thudslug

: Toledo, Ohio
: 167
thatbluebastard  (10)

:
Abe shouldn't be able to possess his fart. Possess means, to misplace the soul of a body, and change it with another. A fart, is bowel gases, therefore, no soul. A nuke, is but a mixture of Metal, plutonium, Nuclear Radiation and what not. Even Munch cannot possess it, as it has no means of movement, therefore it is inanimate. No, rockets don't count. And we would win. If you did some research, you would learn of a battle between romans, and British Barbarians. 2000 Romans, vs 80000+ barbarians. The romans won. The sheertacticts they used. Well, Oddworld creatures, are not trained to use weapons. Maybe the muds are, but industrialists, hell no. Our armies would take formations, and fire behins cover, whereas an army of sligs charging, would just jumble and fall. Not to mention, a battlefield is cramped, and sligs running at full speed, will cause them to trip up, fall over, and become cannon fodder. Mud weapons would not even penetrate our armour.

well, there's no definition on possessing that soul is a requirement.

there's no basis for any of this.

as there are only two of the five story games released, that means that you can't know more than maybe 20% of oddworld. we've explored one continent.

who knows what is on the rest of oddworld?

a nuclear bomb is also a lot more complex than you make it sound.
03-08-2005, 02:19 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

hmmm.... interesting question....

This is assuming that all the oddworld creatures banded to gether against us Earthings, correct?

I would say we have a very strong chance of winning, but Oddworldians could have an advantage in some instances.

I suppose it all depends on the situation, resources, and who will lead us. (I vote Arnold )

EDIT: on the Nuke note, we may have trouble there. We would first have to see how the Oddworldians get to us, or if we get to them. If they all of the sudden apppear out of nowhere, and start invading, nukes would be a bad idea because it would create so much radiation, that area would have a very negative effect for anyone who would choose to live there in the future.

If they come, say, through a 2- way "portal" to travel from there to here, a nuke can still be a problem, as I'm sure they would have guards on their side of the "portal". We could use a suicide mission- send a few guys through with sum nukes, then detonate as soon as they pass through- hoping that the guards don't stop them and then use the nukes on use. but if they were to succeed in the suicide mission, there's no telling how much, if any, radiation would seep back through the "portal" and damage the area around it.

it's a very touchy matter. fictional, but touchy.
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

Last edited by sligster; 03-08-2005 at 02:24 PM..
03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
TheRaisin
Outlaw Shooter

: May 2003
: R'lyeh
: 1,255
TheRaisin  (10)

"Fictional, but touchy." Nice.

We would win, I think. So far the technology we've seen on Oddworld just doesn't pose a threat. But how would we have a war with Oddworld? We don't know where it is, and our technology isn't advanced enough to allow us to travel for long periods of time through space. Assuming, of course, that Oddworld exists in normal space.

03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Let's not forget that Munch could probably possess a nuke.

03-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Not so much that Munch could posses a nuke as such, but he could definately possess the machinery/computer that would launch the nuke and therefore cause it's detonation and location to change.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

03-08-2005, 11:22 PM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

: Jan 2005
: Sydney
: 1,631
mudling  (123)mudling  (123)

well oddworld is odd, so anything could happen. it depends on how they war. if it is from an distance then of cource we will win. but, if it is from invading then they will win. the natives are very good at killing and destroying silently and the industralists are either evil master minds or just plain old tough. but that is if the creatures of oddworld would stop fighting them selves. i think oddworld will win
03-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

I realy want a War to be showed on Oddworld, with all the horrible aspects of it and with the repercutions one dead can have

destroyed families, illness, cold, blood, hmmm nifty program

03-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

Oddish  (10)

The closest thing to war on oddworld was the Grubbs and Wolvark attacking each other.

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "

03-10-2005, 01:18 AM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

well, the hand of odd was going to be a war game but i think it will not include everything Xavier said. I think oddworld Inhabitants is trying to avoid making a game so dark as that, then again, it makes you feel kinda happy when the goodies fight back. what Xavier said became true, then the game would have a massive effect on the sequel. just thoughts....
03-10-2005, 05:58 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

War isn't something pretty, and I definatly think someone needs to show the awfull side of it.
not like thos fps war games where you "enjoy" killing people and being in the war.
war shouldn't be enjoyed

03-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Cyber-Slig

: Mongolia
: 1,225
Cyber-Slig  (10)

:
well, there's no definition on possessing that soul is a requirement.

there's no basis for any of this.

as there are only two of the five story games released, that means that you can't know more than maybe 20% of oddworld. we've explored one continent.

who knows what is on the rest of oddworld?

a nuclear bomb is also a lot more complex than you make it sound.

A soul is a requirement, else it is just bringing the dead to life . And ofcourse it is more complex, do you eant me to to go on some military website and list all the components for a Nuke?
03-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

Oddish  (10)

:
War isn't something pretty, and I definatly think someone needs to show the awfull side of it.
not like thos fps war games where you "enjoy" killing people and being in the war.
war shouldn't be enjoyed
Yeah, like everyone who wanted to join thought WW1 was going to be a blast, but it turned it wasn't, it's a horrble thing hundreds of people dying, and those genarals and politics force people to join, which is just sad.

And oddworld always show the dark side of things.

03-10-2005, 10:51 AM
mudling
Outlaw Sniper

i know war should not be enjoyed and sorry if anyone thought i thought that. Any way, i just well good when good guys stand up for their rights or somthing like that but when anyone dies i feel bad. maybe it is a sign of weakness i don't know. That's why i do not realy like it when abe kills the baddie sor they get killed, but hey, what am i going to do? i do not like killing bounties or wolvarks either. but how are you meant to make a game without viloence?
and i know oddworld looks at the dark side of things, and that is why abes oddesy was one of my favourite games, but i think oddworld is trying to avoid getting that dark agian, but what can i say. that is why so many people liked sketo. ok the point is i do not like killing but i like dark games!

03-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

Oddish  (10)

Well, not ecactly what I'm trying to say, but you look at MO, it shows the dark side of how perfume products and such are made.

03-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

[heresy]Not really, it only really skimmed over the top of that issue. The only point at which it had any meaning was seeing the fuzzles in the bad ending.[\heresy]

03-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Abe the legend
Thudslug

: U.K.
: 156
Abe the legend  (10)

Well, if both the Natives and Industrialists were working together (very strange), I'm thinking they would probably win.
03-14-2005, 11:49 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Oooooh! Nifty topic!

Anyway, since Oddworld is ten times bigger than earth, I see Oddworld winning.

-oddguy

03-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

That's always an interesting thought whether it be Oddworld or Earth. If a planet has to go to war against another, would the species of it join forces and forget the differences they have [i.e. on Oddworld Natives and Industrialists, etc].

Xavier, I agree... games based around war seem to make it seem glorious to "kill" and the like as part of their gameplay. When the reality is that war is not a good thing and many lives are lost as a result, not to mention the suffering that many endured in the concentration camps and similar. War should never be portrayed as a good thing. I guess I'm sounding a bit political, but that's just my view.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

03-17-2005, 05:36 AM
Angalok
Stingbee

: Virginia, U.S.A.
: 99
Angalok  (10)

Personally, I don't think we have enough information about Oddworld to answer this question. You guys are thinking that the Sligs and Wolvarks are soldiers, which they are not. They're security guards in factories. If any army attacks a gaggle of rent-a-cops, it's going to be one-sided. However, look at all the technology Oddworld has that's far in advance to our own: total mechanical limb replacement (Sligs and Outlaws), matter transporters (from Abe's Exoddus), tiny fully maneuverable helicopters (flying Sligs), and orbs that fire electric shocks. If the security guards on Oddworld have such technology, just imagine what their proper armies must be like.

Also, and this may be using more logic than is required, Oddworld is ten times the size of the Earth. That means ten times the gravity. If humans went to Oddworld, they'd be instantly crushed by the immense weight of their own bodies (a two hundred pound man would suddenly weight two thousand pounds). Conversely, if Oddworld's creatures came to Earth, they would be ten times as strong as they would be in their own environment. A big brother slig would be heaving tanks left and right.

Also, Cyber-Slig seems to have a very ideal view of Earth's armies. I think the average soldier (who in this day and age is a national guardsman who's tour of duty never ends) is going to turn and run when he sees a ten foot, biomechanical monster with an octopus for a face charge the ranks. Just the sight of Oddworld's forces is going to be psychological warfare.

So I would say, Oddworld wins, no contest.
03-17-2005, 05:56 AM
Agent-Sarah
Fuzzle

: Minot, Maine
: 140
Agent-Sarah  (10)

Well, if the humans do attack Oddworld, it might end up having a rouge Earthling solider and an Oddworldian to stop the fight (this sounds like a fanfic/movie idea....).

03-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Mudokon-pops
Zappfly

: Mar 2005
: In Necrum
: 2
Mudokon-pops  (10)

:
Personally, I don't think we have enough information about Oddworld to answer this question. You guys are thinking that the Sligs and Wolvarks are soldiers, which they are not. They're security guards in factories. If any army attacks a gaggle of rent-a-cops, it's going to be one-sided. However, look at all the technology Oddworld has that's far in advance to our own: total mechanical limb replacement (Sligs and Outlaws), matter transporters (from Abe's Exoddus), tiny fully maneuverable helicopters (flying Sligs), and orbs that fire electric shocks. If the security guards on Oddworld have such technology, just imagine what their proper armies must be like.

Also, and this may be using more logic than is required, Oddworld is ten times the size of the Earth. That means ten times the gravity. If humans went to Oddworld, they'd be instantly crushed by the immense weight of their own bodies (a two hundred pound man would suddenly weight two thousand pounds). Conversely, if Oddworld's creatures came to Earth, they would be ten times as strong as they would be in their own environment. A big brother slig would be heaving tanks left and right.

Also, Cyber-Slig seems to have a very ideal view of Earth's armies. I think the average soldier (who in this day and age is a national guardsman who's tour of duty never ends) is going to turn and run when he sees a ten foot, biomechanical monster with an octopus for a face charge the ranks. Just the sight of Oddworld's forces is going to be psychological warfare.

So I would say, Oddworld wins, no contest.
No. The bit about the oddworldians coming to earth would NOT make them stronger. It is like when we go to the moon or somewhere like that. The pressure caused by gravity on their body on their world would suddenly be lowered and cause their body to explode. Like somone going out into space with an oxygen tank but no suit. But slower.

On earth, we have one tonne of pressure on us. It is like having a car's worth of weight pressing down on us. If the oddworldians came from 10 tonnes to one tonne of pressure, they would explode with the sudden change. Thsi causing all creature form oddworld to die. Meaning, we win.

(I believe that this is all true. My ammounts of pressure may be off a little but not much.)

03-20-2005, 02:46 AM
caracal
Fuzzle

: colombia
: 107
caracal  (43)

:
Xavier, I agree... games based around war seem to make it seem glorious to "kill" and the like as part of their gameplay. When the reality is that war is not a good thing and many lives are lost as a result, not to mention the suffering that many endured in the concentration camps and similar. War should never be portrayed as a good thing. I guess I'm sounding a bit political, but that's just my view.
I dont know if you have played it, but I belive "Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner" makes a pretty decent job at making war seem bad. There is only one war-scaled battle in the whole game, and it involves a bunch of innocent people standing up for their rights by taking barely battle capable mech against a bunch of far superior AI controled mass produced mechs designed for battle, so it is pretty damn hopeless from the beggining, since you are their only REAL chance (I've proved it, if you stand ilde they all die). The battle itself is a pretty overwhelming situation, as soon as the battle really kicks off, the sound just becomes an indsitinguishible aglomeration of help cries, and it forces you to rush all over the battle field either stopping waves of enemies, or saving fallen soldiers, so it does not leave a "fun" taste of war although I did enjoy it intelectually because of I realized the moral value of it.

I think Hideo Kojima games in general are pretty decent at making war seem pointless, but I think ZOE:2ndR really made battlefields into a place you wouldnt want to be in.

:

Also, and this may be using more logic than is required, Oddworld is ten times the size of the Earth. That means ten times the gravity.
About your gravity statement on top of what Mud-Pops said http://oddworldforums.net/showthread...304#post195304
:
Not really, I mean...if gravity were so great, I dont think OW would have such earthling climates, it probably should be a big ball of gases, like jupiter that is 11 times bigger than earth =). So, seeing how awfully similar OW is to earth (I mean, they even have skeletons and muscle like ours) the only realistic assumption would be that it has the same gravity as earth.

That is a pretty weird thing for it's size, but my own personal theory, is that OW's moons are SO numerous and Gigantic, that they counter the planet's natural gravity, and they leave the surface with a gravity similar to earth's.

Our own moon is crucial to our survival, you know? if we didnt have a moon, our planet's axis would be totally ****ed up, and the climates would change so fast, that the extintion rates would be too high for earth creatures (as opposed to water creatures) to appear.The smartest thing on the planet would be something like an octopus.

So, OW's moons not only would have to elliminate 9g, but they would also have to orbit in a way that created an orbit stable enough to stabilize the axis and provide rate of extintion slow enough for all of it's self-conscious species evolve and remain, and create the night/ day cycle.Pretty slim odds, huh?
in conclusion, with your first statement, I agree (hey look at me! I am Yoda!)

Last edited by caracal; 03-20-2005 at 03:07 AM..