03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Angalok
Stingbee

: Feb 2005
: Virginia, U.S.A.
: 99
Angalok  (10)
Why Stranger Accepts the Steef Head Bounty

In his phone conversation with Sekto, the Stranger accepts the Steef head bounty for twenty grand. My question is, has the Stranger so abandoned his heritage for the sake of his "normal life" that he is seriously considering murdering a Steef for the money, or is he planning to dupe Mr. Sekto out of the Moolah somehow?

If you just go by the words spoken, it seems obvious that Stranger is going to kill a Steef. When you listen to his tone of voice, though, I think he may have something up his sleeve. Like the menacing growl he uses when he asks Sekto, "Where do I... find YOU?", and the heavy-hearted sigh he lets after hanging up. Was the Stranger planning to avenge his race against Sekto all along, or had desperation driven him close to corruption before the Grubbs redeemed him?

Probably not a definite answer there, as the Stranger is so conflicted, but what do you folks think?
03-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Voodoo Hand
Sniper Wasp

: Not from around here
: 290
Voodoo Hand  (190)Voodoo Hand  (190)

Stranger dose not seem to keen on his Steefness at that point, but where is he to find another steef?

03-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: May 2003
: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)

:
Stranger dose not seem to keen on his Steefness at that point, but where is he to find another steef?
He doesn't! if that was your question... He's the only steef left, he says yes to cover it up. If he would of said no the clakker would probably say, "Ha! ya wuss! now stop botherin me,". And he never plans to actually Find an actually steef. if you press 'X' you could probably hear him saying, "I wonder if there are bounties in the next town" or something while heading to New yolk city.

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

03-17-2005, 05:17 AM
Angalok
Stingbee

Angalok  (10)

Actually, I pressed x after that movie, and the Stranger muttered something like "Where'm I gonna find one of these Steef heads?" He acted like he didn't even know what one was (although perhaps that was a ruse for the Clakker clerk's benefit).

I know this is my own question, but I think the answer may be that the Stranger doesn't even know what he'll do himself. He's obviously desperate to have the operation and essentially be a Steef no more, and perhaps that scared side of him is trying to convince him that he must find and kill one of his brothers to save his own life. His hatred of Sekto as he speaks to him over the phone is very clear, though; it's a terrible irony that he would get his money from the one who's making the operation necessary in the first place. That's like asking the lion to give you a boost out of the cage.
03-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

my guess is that it was a way to get infos from sekto and to win some time.. that's all.
and he asked 20.000 moolah for it because it was the first ammount that popped into his mind

03-17-2005, 10:08 AM
souled out
Fuzzle

: Jun 2002
: 126
souled out  (10)

stranger is at no point willing to kill his own kind. He is always trying to kill sekto. you can tell Not only from his intonation in the phone call but there are visual cues as well. Watch strangers face and his eyes. The questions he asks are loaded questions. it should be painfully obvious why he wants to meet sekto.
03-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Angalok
Stingbee

Angalok  (10)

You've got a good point, souled out, but in interviews with Lorne and Sherry, the Stranger was always described as having a heart that was $%#@ed up. What's more so than killing one of your own? Also, the Stranger is having a surgery to essentially remove his Steefness via his centaur body, so I don't know if he has any racial loyalty. A conflicted character to be sure...
03-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Shell Man
Thudslug

: Feb 2004
: Seattle
: 172
Shell Man  (10)

I think it was obvious when he said "Once I get it, where can I FIND YOU?" Not so much what he said, but the way he said it. It could be that he was hoping to find Sekto in order to stamp out any and all searches for a Steef, so that he and his true identity would be safe from inquisition. Or maybe deep down he knew that the reason he had to hide his species in the first place was because Steef were so rare, having been hunted by the likes of Sekto. Either way, I don't think he planned on providing a Steef head for anyone. (Exept for maybe, a head-butt to the gut.)

03-17-2005, 02:21 PM
FuzzleByte01
Chippunk

: Dec 2001
: Phoenix, Arizona
: 32
FuzzleByte01  (10)

:
You've got a good point, souled out, but in interviews with Lorne and Sherry, the Stranger was always described as having a heart that was $%#@ed up. What's more so than killing one of your own? Also, the Stranger is having a surgery to essentially remove his Steefness via his centaur body, so I don't know if he has any racial loyalty. A conflicted character to be sure...
If you talk to the native leader, after awhile she says something like, "I cannot teach a heart so full of fear and self hatred and...well, you've got some messed up issues. We don't need to go into that now..." He doesn't like being a steef...everyone seems to refer to them as 'freaks,' and that can't be a nice thing. He obviously doesn't want his head hung on anyone's wall, something that getting rid of his 'steefness' would certainly help him avoid. Just from his expressions and tone during the phone call to Sekto, I doubt that he had any intention of helping Sekto add to his Steef head collection. He was simply gathering information, and as Xavier said, the sum of 20 Grand was just on his mind.
03-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I thought the story to Stranger was rather good, though i, too, did ask "Where is he going to find another Steef? And is there actually another Steef somewhere?"

Possibly explanation is that he was going to hunt down the Steef that Sekto had taken over? Maybe the Clakkerz had overheard the Grubbs going on about the Steefs disappearance?

I thought the whole moral message thing was rather thooper as well. Stranger tried to be something he's not, even going to the extent of getting surgery, yet in the end triumphs by accepting who he is.

Did anybody else find it a bit obvious that Sekto was the Steef when they saw the massive horns on the wall?

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Abe16
Outlaw Bomber

: May 2003
: on earth
: 2,046
Abe16  (11)

No, not me. I just thought he hunted down everyone of the steefs. (because he did.)

“You shouldn't just be a band, ... If you've got the time and you've got the space you've got to make something of it. We might balls the whole thing up but you've got to try!”~Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age

03-31-2005, 01:20 AM
stingbee
Rabid Fuzzle

: Mar 2005
: in a bin
: 502
stingbee  (10)

:
In his phone conversation with Sekto, the Stranger accepts the Steef head bounty for twenty grand. My question is, has the Stranger so abandoned his heritage for the sake of his "normal life" that he is seriously considering murdering a Steef for the money, or is he planning to dupe Mr. Sekto out of the Moolah somehow?

If you just go by the words spoken, it seems obvious that Stranger is going to kill a Steef. When you listen to his tone of voice, though, I think he may have something up his sleeve. Like the menacing growl he uses when he asks Sekto, "Where do I... find YOU?", and the heavy-hearted sigh he lets after hanging up. Was the Stranger planning to avenge his race against Sekto all along, or had desperation driven him close to corruption before the Grubbs redeemed him?

Probably not a definite answer there, as the Stranger is so conflicted, but what do you folks think?
why would stranger kill his own creature