Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

04-06-2004, 03:12 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)
American and Europian game versions...

Why are there always two (or more) versions of a game produced in the states? Im bringing this up becouse of a thread in the help section... its not realy something I have ever thought about... but why are the versions diffrent anyway????

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

04-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Wait.

What?

Are you talking about video games?

04-06-2004, 11:28 AM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: Umm...what?
: 494
the brew master  (10)

yeah he is mac
im not really sure why they have differnt country version though i think its cause if it has content not sutible for the country for example commandos 3 has a german version because of nazi symbols and so on then they have to change it for a number of reasons or maybe its cause of the launge but i dunno thats just my guess

Whats stopping you?

04-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Something else i loathe is when gaming companies listen to a bunch of censorship wankers who want to censor something just because of some shitty idea someone has. For instance in 'GTA:VC' people were complaining because it had the line "Kill all the Haitians". Now, it's obvious by 'Haitians' that it referred to the gang and not the country-people. Another example is in 'Hitman 2' were you got all the Muslims or Afghans or whatever they're called saying "Oh no, you can't have them in as terrorists!! No, it's wrong, it'll make people stereotype us. No, take it out." and it's like "MY GOOD F*CKING GOD!! THE ITALIANS DON'T COMPLAIN DO THEY!? NOR DO THE CHINESE!!".

Damn Muslims, if they're not blowing shtuffs up they're ruining kids fun...

Anybody else agree this gets tedious?

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

04-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Volsung
Boombat

: At the margins
: 212
Volsung  (33)

:
Definitely, but...

:
Damn Muslims, if they're not blowing shtuffs up they're ruining kids fun...
Doesn't the above statement kind of hurt your point?
(No worries, though. I assume you were joking)
04-06-2004, 09:17 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:
yeah totally

Whats stopping you?

04-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

the main reason they do different versions is for language. And in the case of the german version you mentioned its because Germany has strict rules about showing the swastika and nazis. I don't know why they need a different US/English version but I think it may have something to do with the different television systems (ie NTSC vs PAL)

04-07-2004, 07:09 PM
the brew master
Super Stingbee

the brew master  (10)

:
the main reason they do different versions is for language. And in the case of the german version you mentioned its because Germany has strict rules about showing the swastika and nazis. I don't know why they need a different US/English version but I think it may have something to do with the different television systems (ie NTSC vs PAL)
yeah i was thinking something along those lines

Whats stopping you?

04-17-2004, 04:35 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

For some unknown reason, gaming consoles aren't multi-zoned. Unlike DVD players which can be multi-zoned, the console companies like to piss us all off by making it so you can't play a NTSC disc on a PAL console and vice versa [unless you get a mod chip or something]. It annoys the hell out of me and I have a lot of rants [which I will not go into here] about the whole issue.

The PAL release did get the good deal when it came to FFX though, as we got Dark Aeons and Advanced Sphere Grid and some other cool stuff that the US didn't.

What I do hate is that many games aren't given a PAL release ... so many good games, so much we miss out on. *sigh*

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

04-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Is it that they zone it or that the graphics engine needs to be altered to display in PAL? so maybe some companies can't be bothered going to the effort