Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

02-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)
Lannings Living article.

Haven't been on in awhile (SAT's) but I'm finally catching up with school work and am back with some pretty interesting news to report. In the latest EGM on pg54 there are an article showing inside of Lanning's house. Complete with beautifull pictures and a small interview I can see where Lorne gets alotta insperation for his games. I would post pictures but my scanners broke, so hopefully someone else can get to putting them up; its a magnificant house!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

02-02-2004, 04:18 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Wow ... that's pretty awesome. From what I know of Lorne when I've met him, I can see him being a person that has a lot of really cool stuff around his house. Especially native Indian and other similar kinds of influence.

Pity that EGM is really difficult to find in stores over here. Last time I went hunting for a copy [had something in it I wanted], I couldn't even find it at the large newsagency that stocks all the overseas magazines.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

02-02-2004, 04:21 AM
atusiya@
JPN-OWF Friendship Contractor

: Mar 2002
: Japan Okayama-city Okayama
: 794
atusiya@  (28)
Oddworld

Wow ! thank you for reporting big news! ...but I hate your scanners....
I want to see that pic...
Odd odd oddworld
Is Elum [" Dani Bunten 's M.U.L.E."] spelled backwards?
Abe's Oddyssey Hello Hello ~ Abe's Theme

02-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Good find, Oddsville. It truely does seem as if OWI and Lorne are worming themselves into the media a lot over the last couple of months, and with all the presentations Lorne is going to be giving - at E3, the GDC and 3D Festival - the trend looks set to continue.

Welcome back, Oddsville. The place just isn't the same without you. And get that darned scanner fixed.

02-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

yay!
*Tries to find EGM somewhere in Belgium or even Europe
hmmm, a working scanner would be great

02-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

Well, it looks like its time again to go grab a copy of EGM!

I wonder what some of the other artwork, etc. that inspired him was.
02-03-2004, 01:57 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

I'll stop by Borders and take a looksie. I wish I lived closer to a Barnes and Noble though!

-oddguy

02-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

I'll tell you all this; his house is really beautiful. I can see where he gets alot of his inspiration. It's like a giant log cabin but with authentic Native American artifacts everwhere and even and authentic Submarine door (Kinda like the workstations in AE.) leading to his wine room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

02-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

Is there anywhere to get this magazine in Britain? Well, preferably Norfolk... Or, is it available in britain, or is it just an America thing...?

02-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

:
I'll stop by Borders and take a looksie. I wish I lived closer to a Barnes and Noble though!

-oddguy
Yeah Borders is actually farther than Barnes and Noble for myself.
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

oddguy delivers...

...Ya know you love me!

I know it's not the best resolution, but it'll due for now.

-oddguy

EDIT: Can't read the fine print? No problem! I'm extremely bored, so I'm gonna type out the whole thing!

Munch Money
Lorne Lanning's odyssey through Oddworld led to greeener pastures

Normally calling a pair of individuals "Oddworld Inhabitants" would get your ass kicked lickety-split, but not if that duo is Lorne lanning and partner Sherry McKenna. After co-founding a company with same name, they went on to hook more than 4 million gamers across the globe with a uniquely bizarre yet equally endearing series set in a twisted alien universe: the Oddworld games (which includes Abe's Oddysee for PS1, Munch's Oddysee for Xbox, and an upcoming new Xbox installment). Like sneaky series hero Abe, we tiptoe into Lanning's sprawling Californai lodge for a look-see.

EGM: You guys came out of nowhere in the mid-90's. Was the company a pipe dream or...?

Lorne Lanning: Sherry and I were working for a special effects company, where we had no creative input. I wanted to be a storyteller and own my own intellectual property and knew videogames were the medium of the future. It's all about creative control.

EGM: And the money to do this came form where?

LL: Venture capital. We ran into a guy who saw how much money the publisher Rocket Science had raised. He wanted to write his own get-rich-quick story.

EGM: You must've been wishing on the right star, eh?

LL: It's all about who you know. And smart business negotiation...but there was some random, dumb chance to it.

EGM: So you attribute your breakout star power to luck?

LL: I think luck is something you create. Timing was everything for us, but we knew that money was going to be coming into the technology business in the coming years. Because we did our homework, setting out to get some of that money was much easier. You have to understand the market before you can master it.

EGM: Then we're guessing the Oddworld series' grand reception was no surprise to you?

LL: [Laughs] I always say it's pleasant to have success, but when you borrow a million dollars to make an entertainment product, you really have to plan on succeeding. WE were even ready to walk away from our initial investment proposal if we didn't get what we wanted, because we were so confident in our capabilities.

EGM: But not everyone can afford to be that ballsy.

LL: Hey, I believe being creative and innovative is safer than taking the "me too" route most gamers do.

EGM: Your best suggestion for anyone who'd care to follow in your footsteps, then?

LL: It has more to do with work ethic than any approach. You can't have low standards. If someone thinks they can do great work that'll blow people away on a 9 to 5 schedule, they're getting into the wrong business. It's like the Olympics---don't train your ass off, and you'll never win a gold medal.

Lanning's pad: 1 Tucked under old oaks and partly solar-powered, Lanning's custom-built wood-and-glass home feels more like a Native American lodge than a typical house. "My friends call it the sweat lodge," he says. 2 The old chest in Lanning's gaming/home-theater room is filled with video game connections. All the wires run under the hardwood floor. 3 The master bedroom features funky glowing paintings, including 4 Kissing by artist Alex Grey. 5 This gaurdian shaman sculpture is one of several "ghost chasers" found throughout the house. 6 An authentic submarine door seals the booze cellar.

Last edited by oddguy; 03-03-2004 at 07:47 PM..
02-04-2004, 10:36 PM
atusiya@

atusiya@  (28)
Oddworld Wow! greatest JOB!

Very! very!! thank you! Oddguy&Oddsville .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dream.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	28.3 
ID:	1522  
Odd odd oddworld

Last edited by atusiya@; 02-05-2004 at 03:56 AM..
02-05-2004, 08:05 AM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

Remember kids......it's best you actually buy this months issue of EGM. You can see a whole lot more detail in the magazine than on this computer screen I tell ya.

-oddguy

02-05-2004, 09:10 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

You know thats the kind of place I want to own. A nice open space house with lots of windows and a forest type theme. I would love to live in the wilderness looking out on a beautiful vista. I also want to have all my software and electrical materials laid out in a similar fashion with all the wireing going under the floor where you just simply flick a couple switches and boom everything goes on. That is an absolutely efficient way of keeping everything that you have to plug in, organised ya know? I love that! And of course a personal theater and art studio. Absolutely wounderful setting to do great work in. Thats what I am working for.

Its no wounder Lanning is so successful at Oddworld. He lives in such a beautiful place and has all kinds inspiration all around him. Thats the setting I need personally.

02-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Amasing home! Trough I don't know If I would like to live there...

damn the transcript is allready here... I realy tought we had an exclu on oddblog!
well done Oddguy!

02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
I also want to have all my software and electrical materials laid out in a similar fashion with all the wireing going under the floor where you just simply flick a couple switches and boom everything goes on. That is an absolutely efficient way of keeping everything that you have to plug in, organised ya know?
That's my way of thinking too. When I'm rich and design my own home, I'm going to have a system like that. All the wires out of the way and no complication to it. Oh, and I've always wanted to have speakers under the sofa with the bass up so it rumbles when you watch movies.......oh yeah!

Oh, and thanks Xavier. I had no idea that Oddsville had allready done a transcirpt for Oddblog 'till now! I typed the whole thing up there myself with no copy and paste!

-oddguy

Last edited by oddguy; 02-06-2004 at 09:19 AM..
02-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Esus
Outlaw Shooter

: Sep 2003
: King's Lynn, England.
: 1,487
Esus  (10)

Very Nice House, it sure would be nice to own a place like that.

03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
atusiya@

atusiya@  (28)

EGM is update on site.
http://www.egmmag.com/article2/0,2053,1536849,00.asp
Odd odd oddworld

03-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

well done atusiya@, Max posted it on OddBlog