Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

06-20-2003, 12:11 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Wired What do you think Steefs powers are going to be?

Well telling by the pictures we saw I would like to see Steef act like this real harmless looking thing but when he gets angry he becomes that Centaur beast like the creature we saw in some of that production art as his powers. Sort of like how Abe becomes Shrykull. That would be sweet. Here is what I am talking about:

You have regular harmless Steef being chased by that hunter

and then you have Steef turn into this when he gets angry:

I like it what do you think his powers could be?

Paramiteabe...

06-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

We've seen a picture of a boat, so maybe the original rumour of Steef having a physic connection with his boat is true.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

06-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Apr 2001
: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

So we have:

* Transformation
* Psychic Connection

I think:
* Ultra-vision (= Some power that makes him see all kinds off ways: night, heat, X-ray, aura, quarma, future....just imagining ..., through solid objects, mind, ....)

06-20-2003, 01:11 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

I think it would be cool if he could morph into other creatures, like a scrab, paramite, etc. I don't want OWI to leave out the possibility of controlling them.
06-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Assuming that Steef has anytype of powers at all. But if he dose acutally have one I'd assume that it'd be his physicic connection to his boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

06-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Reptile
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2003
: Inside You
: 537
Reptile  (10)

Maybe he could also fight with his hands

06-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Abe - Possession of organic beings...
Munch - Possession of mechanical beings...
Steef - Talking to wood...

I don't think he should have powers. I think he should just have normal animal stuff, such as heat vision or night vision and agility. I don't think he should have a moon either. I don't think he should be ultimatly good. Being a character that just thinks about others all the time is boring, why can't he think about himself?

I'm thinking he's in that Game park which the Glukkons own, for Khanzumers or other random creatures to go and hunt animals when they want, as his antlers would look nice on a wall.

On a different matter why don't OWI do two games in one which are affected by the previous game(s). Such as when you start a new part of the Quint it asks you whether you got the good ending or bad ending, you choose and then you play the game as if its just a continuation.

I hope Steefs game takes place abit before MO and during, because that would mean Humphrey and Irwin will be in it...if there are any Vykkers in at all...

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

06-20-2003, 04:26 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

:
Originally posted by Jacob
On a different matter why don't OWI do two games in one which are affected by the previous game(s). Such as when you start a new part of the Quint it asks you whether you got the good ending or bad ending, you choose and then you play the game as if its just a continuation.
I don't think that would work very well, considering the main character(s) always get killed in the bad endings.
06-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Abeguy
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2003
: United States of Merka
: 1,940
Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)Abeguy  (264)

well, he could turn invisisible

06-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Nath
Rabid Fuzzle

: Sep 2002
: Wales
: 530
Nath  (89)

Although all your thoughts are good, I'm gonna have to aggree with PA on this one, I can't think of anything he would be able to use or do, but with him turning into some kinda beast, kinda like the incredible hulk, would be awesome

06-20-2003, 05:20 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

It would be awesome not to mention very odd like and humerous. Its like you have this harmless creature named Steef. Maybe a real cluts and then when he is in trouble the baddies are all mocking this strange thing and picking on him and trying to kill him. He is real fast and nobody can catch him. So he gets cornored and as the hunter points his gun at this withered creature suddenly it becomes the monster within and wrecks havoc. After that he shrienks back to his frigile self again and sort of smirks at the camera and says oops! or burps or makes some kind funny sound and then scurys off. When I think of Steef in a strange way he reminds me of Golum.

06-20-2003, 06:17 PM
LiL Munch
Zappfly

: Jun 2003
: some place with weapons and spooce
: 9
LiL Munch  (10)

it would be cool if he could posses monsters like abe and could swim

06-20-2003, 09:13 PM
slig_hunter72
Fuzzle

: May 2003
: Splinterz front gate
: 101
slig_hunter72  (10)

100% agree with PA

That is exactly what I would have said, except maybe make Steef a little less cutesy. i.e. "oops" thats Abe's line!

06-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

PA's idea is the typical cliché and done so many times beforehand. Futerama, Hulk, the whole Jekyl-Hyde deal, Werewolves. OWI should stick with the dark humour, not the sort of humour that will only make a small minority laugh. For him saying "Oops" or making some rude sound would cause the game to lose its main grasp of humour, such as they did with MO with the cheesyness...

Like i said, he should not have any powers, but if he does, then they should be decent powers and not some cliché ridden ones. I think towards the end he's going to meet Squeek, due to the fact big things usually partner up with smaller things...

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

06-20-2003, 09:53 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

:
PA's idea is the typical cliché and done so many times beforehand. Futerama, Hulk, the whole Jekyl-Hyde deal, Werewolves. OWI should stick with the dark humour, not the sort of humour that will only make a small minority laugh. For him saying "Oops" or making some rude sound would cause the game to lose its main grasp of humour, such as they did with MO with the cheesyness...

Like i said, he should not have any powers, but if he does, then they should be decent powers and not some cliché ridden ones. I think towards the end he's going to meet Squeek, due to the fact big things usually partner up with smaller things...
I sort of agree with Jacob, but then again, what isn't a cliché these days. I think the whole rumored psycic relationship with his boat, sounds odd enough that it's intriguing to me.
06-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Having a psychic connection to wood is quite odd. I hope its not actually a psychic connection but some insanity Steef suffers.

PA was right, Steef turns into that Reindeer thing...how poo...unless they make it decent

06-20-2003, 11:15 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

:
Having a psychic connection to wood is quite odd. I hope its not actually a psychic connection but some insanity Steef suffers.

PA was right, Steef turns into that Reindeer thing...how poo...unless they make it decent
Don't worry too much, that was incredibly raw footage. It's a year old, so we can expect they have added many more bells and wistles.
06-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

Now we know Steef's power:
A wrist-mounted crossbow that shoots arrows and a SKUNK BOMB!

...Why is it that only aliens get to launch rodents from a bow?
Extraterrestrials have all the fun...

06-20-2003, 11:24 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

I don't think he transforms after what I seen now. I think he is that Minitaur thing. None the less he rules. Just wait when or if he teams up with Abe and Munch in another Game. Talk about odd, you got a blue Mudokin, a Gabbit who is the wimpiest creature around and now we have this real bad ass who has some sort temper problem and loves to play poker. Hehe I wounder if he can take on a Big Bro! This is Oddworld alright!

06-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

:
Originally posted by paramiteabe
and loves to play poker.
Poker FACE. I think iy means he's really stern and intimidating.
I don't think he actually PLAYS poker.

06-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I'm stupid enough to have not paid very close attention, but I never noticed any transformation stuff either... and does he have 2 or 4 legs? I couldn't really tell, because in the shots ad stuff it looked like 2, in stills it looiked like 4. Yea... I'm not very bright.

The first person crossbow looks sweet.
06-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

Re: What do you think Steefs powers are going to be?

:
Originally posted by paramiteabe
You have regular harmless Steef being chased by that hunter
Harmless my sweet, flabby arse!

06-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

The gameplay footage was a rough cut, as you can see most of the animation is only on Steef. But I must say those new movie sequences are just brilliant. The whole river scene and the huts on the river bank, the army of sligs. I didnt really get the time to watch it because I had to leave. So Im going to rewind and see what I missed.

-Al
06-20-2003, 11:44 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

:
Originally posted by Dipstikk
Poker FACE. I think iy means he's really stern and intimidating.
I don't think he actually PLAYS poker.
Well when I saw him scratching the table it made me wounder that he could have lost playing a game of poker. Well I don't know we are just going to have to find out. Well now we know he aint no harmless guy! Now I do wounder if he is an Industrial bounty hunter, since he was mingling with Vykkers. Wait a minute what if he is this bounty hunter hired by the Magog to go find Abe and Munch? And in this game he starts his long journey but doesnt find Abe and Munch until another game? That could very well be what Steef is about.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 06-20-2003 at 03:55 PM..
06-20-2003, 11:58 PM
RoN_Rancor
Boombat

: May 2001
: In a dank cage under Jabba's throne...
: 219
RoN_Rancor  (10)

He has a cross-bow with skunk bomb and sleeping dart attachments. He is a bounty hunter. He does go through some transformation. During the discovery channel show, it was said that he would appear more human-like (with two legs, no horns, etc.) in the beginning of the game. However, it was stated that later on he would take on his more natural and alien-looking four legged and horned appearance. Whether or not this change was actually affected gameplay or was more of important story turning point that merely changed his appearance was not revealed. Guessing from the animatics/sketches, it looks as though he works/ed for the Vykkers, but for some reason turns against them or at least quits his job for them. Did anyone notice the orc-looking creature that steef shoots at in first person view during the show? It looked strangely out of place because it looked exactly like an steriotypical orc from what I saw. The chicken guys sounded and looked really funny in my opinion. I think a good name for them would be "hickens." Get it? A cross between a chicken and a hick.
Xbox Live Gamertag: RON RANCOR

06-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Maybe the whole transformation thing an idea, if he starts off as the normal looking way, and then later is transformed, etc. Maybe the vykkers did testing and cut parts of other creatures up, and sort of put him together the way he ends up later. Then being shunned away from the common society as a freak of nature. Otherwise, maybe a special power, like what abe gets as the shrykull. Anyways, this is just an early thought being I dont really have enough information to base it off right now.

-Al
06-21-2003, 12:11 AM
RoN_Rancor
Boombat

: May 2001
: In a dank cage under Jabba's throne...
: 219
RoN_Rancor  (10)

Well, going from the X-Factor, it looks more like he will be reverting back to his natural state. Mr. Lanning said something that basicly said that they want you to be in control of a character that is much more interesting and alien than you initially realize. I do not think that he was assembled from spare parts. I'm thinking more along the lines of a character that has lost his "innocence" by working for the industrial creatures freely, but then he realizes how wrong he was. After all, it was stated that he was a bounty hunter, and who is more likely to pay a bounty: vykkers and glukkons or mudokons and gabbits?
Xbox Live Gamertag: RON RANCOR

06-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

No I understand where you are coming from, I just was kind of preoccupied while I was taping the show, so I didnt really pay attention much to what was being shown. but your idea is good too. Now that I am watching it, Im leaning more towards what you say, but still with the possibility of transformation into that alienish creature type entity.

-Al
06-21-2003, 01:23 AM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

you know, steef is more lion like if you ask me, then why does he seem to transform into a stag? and what orcs are you exactly referring to?

06-21-2003, 02:32 AM
blinkmetoys
Chippunk

: Apr 2003
: USA : Wahsington
: 22
blinkmetoys  (10)

first of all some may remember me, i kinda skipped out on this forum...but with new oddworldness. im back again.

i really hope he has 2 legs in the final game. the 4 legs in game shots were kinda lame looking. he looks soo much cooler with just the 2. which i think they are going to stick with(and hopeing they are) because it says on the oddworld website says:
:
We're not commenting any further on what direction the game has taken since those initial concepts.
usually means something is changing and the most finalistic clips had him with 2 legs. only the un-complete gameplay had the 4 legs. although if he transforms into the 4 legs and back again after he runs out of juice or whatnot that would be cool.

i mean that looks sooooooooooooo coooooooool. if it didnt have all that crap in the way i would SOOO wallpaper it. and i still might anyway......haha.

yet with the fps crossbow i hope they dont FPS it up too much. i mean maybe just like in Zelda where its not 24-7 shooting. still soo much time before release. oddworld better lay up on the info stingyness because now we have the sent.