Reptile
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2003
: Inside You
: 537
Reptile  (10)
Other Queens

Do any of you know if there could be a paramite, scrab queen etc

Sam Maggie and Skillya are the only known queens......so far.

Do you know any more

06-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Alf told about a possibly Slog queen, but I don't think we know any more about them

06-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Zach Roy Wilson
Sniper Wasp

: Under the Michelan Man-thingy
: 281
Zach Roy Wilson  (10)

Uh, yes there are queenz for each Inhabitant!

http://inhousemedia.net/mf/Banner_Fr...This_Fire_.gif
This Fire is Out of Control!
We're Gonna Burn This City!
Burn This City!
-Franz Ferdinand

06-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: May 2003
: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

:
Uh, yes there are queenz for each Inhabitant!
theres nothing to add, we dont know the other names yet

06-11-2003, 07:01 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

There are not queens for each inhabitant. Super species may be the predominant social and reproductive systems on Oddworld, but not all creatures abide to it. Gabbits, for example, have males and females, and it seems most likely that Scrabs, Paramites and Elums do also.

However, if you really want to know about more queens, I'll tell you something.

*leans really close and whispers*

You know those bees in Abe's Oddysee.............
06-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

Max you dirty little Mug, you. what cool info are you hidin now!? anyway i forgot about the super species, but sligs are superspecies and they have a queen

06-12-2003, 02:56 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

I betcha Chroniclers have a Queen and maybe Khanzumers have Queens too. Those are two races that we have not yet been introduced to. Plus they have to be another super species if they are so important as OWI claims them to be. But I would love to see the Chronicler Queen and of course the Khanzumers queen. If they have them of course. There are many more unknown races that we have not yet been introduced to and a lot of them I bet have queens if they are a super species.

How many races have we been introduced to thus far? Lets see here:

Mudokins
Glukkons
Sligs
Gabbits
Vykkers
Interns
and an Elderling

Now I think thats all we have heard of and been introduced to. If I missed any do let me know. So there are seven different races we have seen and been introduced to so far in the games. Chroniclers and Khanzumers will make 9 when we are introduced to them. There hundreds more. Now I see how we have only seen a small cornor of Oddworld. Think of it!

Last edited by paramiteabe; 06-11-2003 at 06:58 PM..
06-12-2003, 04:18 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
Originally posted by Max the Mug
You know those bees in Abe's Oddysee.............
hahaha, good one
anyway we can probably say that Fleeches don't have a queen, cince they are maded by the vykkers

06-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Khanzumers shouldn't have Queens. They should just breed naturally...for them to have Queens would take away the human-ness and originality. Cos then its just like "Kill the Queen...then the others will die out" which is wrong...ness...yes...i dont know why im typing...

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

06-12-2003, 12:51 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Originality whats originality? Well ill tell you what makes it original.

I like how Lanning relates the races to what Insect colonys are like. Its profound. It makes it more Alien like as oppose to Earth Like. Thats seperates Earth to Oddworld. Sure its original to relate things of Earth to our imaginary world because you have to. If you don't it would suck and it won't be convinceing. All fictional movies and games use this method when they go into creating their worlds. They base everything you would find on earth to their world then they would add their own vision which afterwords gives you a profound look on everything.

but there is a fine line where you must stop and start putting into motion the reality of another planet so that you can get across to the audience that this is not earth its another world. In order for the audience to be convinced that this game or movie is takeing place on another planet and not earth starts at that line. If everything was like Earth then your not looking at Oddworld your looking at earth. you have to add your imagination to the earth related things. This is the only effective way that will convince your audience so that they say "ooh what an interesting place or planet this is!" Thats what makes it original its the combination of imagination and reality. If everything was like Earth on Oddworld then it would be to boreing to watch and if everything was imagined and not based on real earth things then it won't be convinceing. In other words it would take away the realisem of it. You see realisem and fiction go together like the Ying and the Yang! The goal here is to make it so convinceing that you would say "yea maybe this place does exist in the Universe because it looks so real like and then be convinced this is another world we are seeing. Thats the magic we all see in these films and games. Its all Hollywood!

And Oddworld is a perfect example. So to finnish, Everything on Oddworld is Earth like but what makes it original is the combination of the alien likeness of the world and the Earth likeness. The difference between our world and our imaginary world is that fine line between reality and fiction. Its a work of art!
Its convinceing that it is another planet but its even more convinceing that this other world looks and sounds real. Thats the originality of it!

Last edited by paramiteabe; 06-12-2003 at 05:26 AM..
06-12-2003, 01:22 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

I don't want khanzumer have a queen... I think they should breed like humans with male and females

I think it should be intresting to see Oddworld aspect of Man and Wife relationships

06-12-2003, 01:37 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Well we are seeing that. But even more profound is that we are also seeing aspects of things on Oddworld through other means aswell than just one way. The Queens are related to Earth Insect colonys. and then you got other races that do other methods of reproduceing like Male Female relationship that we havent even explored for what you said Xav. And then to top it off theres even more aspects to look at beyond those two points that we havent even explored yet. And there is also room to come up with fictional methods of reproduction. But if they do that then they must relate it somehow to factual things to bring out the realisem.

You see the originality with it? Its different and fictional but also realistic in its nature all combined in one huge package. Its a work of art!

Last edited by paramiteabe; 06-12-2003 at 05:46 AM..
06-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

i think this is right

Mudokons: queen Sam
Glukkons: queen Maggie
Sligs: queen Skillya
Bees: Max! your so evil!
Meetles/Mugs: normal reproduction?
Chroniclers: normal reproduction?
Khanzumers: definetely normal reproduction...i think
Slogs: Maybe? Maybe not? Alf said possibly...
Fleeches/Slurgs: too low (and small)
Interns: No idea!
Vykkers: no queen could be ugly enough, but theyre all gay
Gabbits: probly normal reproduction
Elderlings: no way! each one is different, theyre trees!
Other (Scoots, Searexes, Bats): ???????????

06-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

there are only a few we know for sure

Mudokons: queen Sam
Glukkons: queen Laydy Margareth
Sligs: queen Skillya
Vykkers: "each member of the Vykkers race is able to mate with itself to create offspring"
Elderlings: they are trees at the beggining

Rumors:
Slog: queen?
Elums: sexual reproduction (like humans)

Rest:
don't try to speculate it is useless

06-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

:
Vykkers: "each member of the Vykkers race is able to mate with itself to create offspring"
Sick! anyway does anyone know what a baby Vykker looks like, are there any pics?

06-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

:
Originally posted by sligslinger
Sick! anyway does anyone know what a baby Vykker looks like, are there any pics?
no...
this isn't spam there is nothing to add

06-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

:
normal reproduction
I would not call placental reproduction 'normal' simply because it's the way all mammals breed (with the exception of marsupials).

:
but theyre all gay
I belive the word you meant to use was 'camp'.

:
Sick!
Rugurgitation is nothing to do with hermaphroditic reproduction.

Mini-rant over, I think it's about time I lent another hand here. Of the 38 Oddworld species known to us, we know, with certainty, the reproductive system of 9 of them:

Glukkons and Mudokons both belong to super species of which there is only one queen. Sligs are also a super species, but there is no confirmation that Skillya is the sole queen. Each hive of Bees obviously has it's own queen. Vykkers are hermaphrodites and reproduce by impregnating themselves (unlike worms, in which two mating partners both get pregnant). Gabbits, Elums, Scrabs and Paramites all have 'males' and 'females', although the precise means of reproduction is unknown. Scrabs and Paramites apparently lay eggs, since they have nests. Gabbits also lay eggs, which give birth to the tadpole form of the species.

We can also guess at a further X species and support our claims with evidence:

Bats, being mammels on Earth, might also be on Oddworld. Fireflies, Birds and Fleas, too, may or may not be similar to their Earth counterparts. Alf has claimed the it is highly possible that Slogs have queens, while, observing that they are absolutely everywhere on Oddworld, we can say that Rats either breed with each other, possibly with themselves, or that there are a lot of queens. Elderlings are slightly different in that they begin their existence as Elder trees, and elder trees on Earth use pollination to fertilize seeds. But then, if we're going to start talking about all Oddworld plants, such as Cacti, Virgin Saplings, Grass and SpooceShrubs, then we might as well start another topic.

Please note: DO NOT start another topic specifically on plant reproduction. If you want to know, just look up on the net or in a book or a scientific magazine. You'll find the answer somewhere.
06-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Reptile
Rabid Fuzzle

: Inside You
: 537
Reptile  (10)

I think that the Skillya theory like you said max could be a hoax, but other sites have that info.

What do you mean by camp?

06-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Camp - to be overly flamboyant. Stereotypical gay guy in other words. Like Jack off 'Will & Grace'.

OWI just wanted to make a fun game with a message. Now some people on here are thinking that they're really thinking about how things would effect certain things and the breeding patterns and the relationships to Earth etc etc. When really they probably just wanted their game to be different and not realisticly accurate.

Anyways, the whole Quintology is probably abit screwed up now due to the drastic changes of MO...they probably had to invent new characters and new storylines like i had to do when the RPG got slaughtered.

By the by, i dont read long posts...so...please stop

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

06-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

My long post was only explaining what we know and can guess about species' reproductive system for all the people who were unclear. It's not the most stunning piece of work I've come up with, so you haven't missed anything. Suggestion noted for the future, though.

As for screwed up, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. OW4 and the next Munch game could completely bring everything up to date and having included all that was left out. Perhaps it'd be a little worse for wear because of the MO bumble. Perhaps I'm just being optimistic.

:
When really they probably just wanted their game to be different and not realisticly accurate.
As far as I can tell, OWI have always strived to maintain a universe that is completely realistic in itself. For me, that's part of the entertainment. And they do, after all, have a heck of a lot more continuity than a lot of series.
06-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I meant that people are expecting it to be too realistic. Realism is good but not when you want it to be a second world...due to the fact that thats dangerous...with most of the forumers anyway...although if they did what that Korean guy did then we would be free of many losers...hmmm