sgrsnaes
Zappfly

: Apr 2002
: London, UK
: 14
sgrsnaes  (10)
Idea Get Your Picture in a Magazine

Hi
Whenever I post I tend to be asking for stuff.
Some of you might remember that I am a University researcher who studies computer games in the UK.

I was on here a while ago getting people from the forum to help me with a book chapter that I am writing on Abe (we intend to submit the book to publishers by December).

I'm always writing articles and presenting papers on games (I was also at the Game Developers Conference in San Jose this year and met the people from Oddworld - really nice people).

I am just submitting a paper that talks about fan-cultures in games and I was wondering if people wouldn't mind me using either their Oddworld-related art, or some of the images that were floating around some time ago of their character models.

People can e-mail images to me on gareth.schott@tiscali.co.uk
or post them here and I'll send you a copy of the article with your image in when it gets published.

Does anyone want to help out?
The magazine is sent to every college in the UK. Its called Media Magazine.

05-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

hey I remember you... is your book doing fine?
anyway you want fanart? I suggest you to ask in the fanart section of this forum:
http://www.oddworld.au.com/forums/fo...p?s=&forumid=7

05-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

I think it would be great to have any oddworld images in a magaizine. If you want anything specific I recoment you ask Xav or me if you'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

05-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

sure, if you want specific pictures about nearly everything on oddworld just ask me

05-16-2003, 04:39 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

Thats pretty cool. How long have you been working on the research for this magazine?

Tell me are you accepting artwork from the fans as based on our own ideas of Oddworld? For instance our own different concepts of characters and the different creatures we came up with that are part of the whole Oddworld idea only created by us?

Because I am an excellent artist who scetches a lot of Oddworld type things from sligs to Mudokins. I am always drawing them. And I would be happy to submit some of my work to you if you want.

On another note I am trying persue a career in art and animation and Oddworld is one of my biggest inspirations. I am currently working towards a dagree in the field right now and maybe you can get an article on something about how Oddworld inspires people around the world. I don't know just a thaught.

Paramiteabe...

05-17-2003, 11:49 AM
atusiya@
JPN-OWF Friendship Contractor

: Mar 2002
: Japan Okayama-city Okayama
: 794
atusiya@  (28)
Question Are you Gareth Schott?

:
Originally posted by sgrsnaes
Hi
Whenever I post I tend to be asking for stuff.
Some of you might remember that I am a University researcher who studies computer games in the UK.
I was on here a while ago getting people from the forum to help me with a book chapter that I am writing on Abe.
----
Is Your writing on Abe <'Who's Oddysee is it, Abe's or Mine?'>?
:
Gareth has began looking at the relationship between a particular avatar (Abe) and the player, with a focus on fans and perceived agency for a paper titled 'Who's Oddysee is it, Abe's or Mine?'
http://www.ccsonline.org.uk/mediacen...extuality.html
http://www.ccsonline.org.uk/mediacen...ts/gareth.html
Are you Gareth Schott?
----
Odd odd oddworld
Is Elum [" Dani Bunten 's M.U.L.E."] spelled backwards?
Abe's Oddyssey Hello Hello ~ Abe's Theme

05-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Reptile
Rabid Fuzzle

: Feb 2003
: Inside You
: 537
Reptile  (10)

when will the book or magazine be published?

I ain't so good, there is things you can write about in the Fan corner

(by the way atusiya@, your site with marks guide of saving 99 mudokons was a great help! thnx)

05-21-2003, 10:50 AM
sgrsnaes
Zappfly

: Apr 2002
: London, UK
: 14
sgrsnaes  (10)
Thanx fro the replies - here's my answers

Firstly thanks for the replies. Secondly sorry for replying to different posts in one message.

Firstly, yes I am Gareth Schott from University of London, who is involved in the project being run at the Institute of Education.

http://www.ccsonline.org.uk/mediacentre

go to: Textuality in Video Games and you'll see our dull (university controlled web-site on the project)

I look at players experiences mainly becuase I am a psychologist. I play games and I'm a huge fan of Oddworld, so I use it as an excuse to inlcude it in my writings whenever I can. But I have written on Soul Reaver and Girl Gamers.

I did a talk recentoly on Abe (based on the book chapter and may be talking in November about it again)

Thanks for the offers of art and pictures. I'd like some art inspired by Oddworld (that would be great) and I was also thinking of those photos of character models that were floating around a while back. I just don;t have the time to search. Do you guys have copies of these (Xavier?)

The book: Well we think we have secured a publisher and it will probably get finished and sent to them by December. So I'll post again as soon as anything is near to coming out. Publishers take ages sometimes years! We'll probably be at the end of the Quintology by then!

again I'll give my e-mail so just send stuff (and your name) and I'll put it in and then contact people when it comes out. It should be out in the next few months as it is a magazine article.

g.schott@ioe.ac.uk

Thanks everyone. If anyone wants to know more about what I do and how to do it yourselves, don't hesitate to ask. Its a difficult business to get into and even harder one to write about as a University researcher/teacher.