04-21-2003, 11:33 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Wired Oddworld weather (Very strange!)

A while back I heard from Alf that sometimes on Oddworld it rains up instead of down. How can this be? Very strange I have to say, and I love it.

Won't it be cool to see that in the next few games? I hope we see something like that take place. Like you have a team of Mudokins led by Abe, just like in AE, walking in a row past cliffs and forests and herds of paramites and scrabs. The Mudokins are holding spears headed north for some reason. It is a sunny day and there are no clouds in the sky. Everything in this scene is alive and doing its own thing. So the scene is like constantly moveing because everything has its own life cycles. like you got the Mudokins crossing the land, and then at the sametime the background is passing by, and in the background the creatures of Oddworld are doing their thing, and all of this is happening at once.

As they are moveing throughout the region all of a sudden you see in the background, a wierd cloud starting to form on the ground as everything is alive and moveing. Lightening strikes upwards and its starts raining up as the background and the wildlife and the row of Mudokins start to become hidden in the strange occurance. Its as if everything in the scene would take this kind of weather to be normal. So everything sort of doesnt care on whats happeneing and goes about what they were doing. Like one moment its sunny and the next its raining up. I can also see something like this happening in a short demo in an Oddworld comercial.

That would be a really cool scene for OWI to make happen I think. Can you think of any other strange types of weather patterns you might find on Oddworld?

Last edited by paramiteabe; 04-21-2003 at 03:48 AM..
04-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

sounds realy original and funny, honestly I like it!

04-21-2003, 11:31 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)
Happy

I think the raining up thing was supposed to be a joke...

But with all those moons orbiting Oddworld, I wouldn't be surprised if occasionally they all were in about the same spot, exerting enough gravitational force to make things (like water) rise.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

04-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I'd honestly have to ditto Khanz. SUch a smart little boy *pats Khanz on head*
04-22-2003, 04:39 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
Q: What's the average yearly rainfall in Oddworld?

Alf: On average, the water falls down, and hits the ground. Sometimes it goes up, but not so often.
I think it was a joke but all your theories sounds sooo good

04-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Apr 2001
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

I wouldn't like to be a Mud walking through the rain (going up). They wear loin cloths you know!

04-22-2003, 11:23 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

I wounder though since in this case the rain on Oddworld sometimes goes up, maybe a certain ecosystem benefits from that in a very strange way. Its odd because imagine a place sort of like a beautiful vista like something you would see in some parts of the Slig Barracks only natural but in this place everything lives upside down on the tops of these intertwined catacombs. Where up is down and down is up. So raining up would be a normal thing in this case. Hey its Oddworld being strange is the number one thing there ya know? Here is another thing remember the Kintos that were suppose to be in MO? Well they live on the ceilings of some places right? I am not too sure though, but there was topic a while back sometime last year about Kinto slaves and I remember hearing they always lived in the ceilings so their lives are always upside down. I think they were slaves for Lady Margret. I am not too sure on that though. So if they did live always upside down, then the raining up would beneifit them.

Anyway what I am saying is that its seems in a lot of places on Oddworld it looks as if there are ecosystem that look like raining up would match the enviorment perfectly. Even in some conceptual art the raining up idea seems to fit in nicely. In a very odd way if you think about it. Like the conceptual art of the Slig Barracks. Imagine the vistas of the slig barracks only as a natural part of Oddworld not industrial. Hell even in industrial parts it might rain up. Those are one of my favorite pieces of conceptual art that were for AE. I tried to post them the url doesn't work right. If you look at it, its in the universe section at Oddworld.com under Slig Barracks production art.

04-23-2003, 04:57 AM
Canned Gabbiar
Spark Stunk

: Dec 2002
: Dunno...
: 385
Canned Gabbiar  (10)

It depends on the gravitational force of Oddworld and the rate at which it rotates. Or maybe different areas have different gravitational pulls. The moon theory is pretty valid as well. Heh! The craziness!