Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Forum Suggestions & Help

02-02-2003, 05:47 AM
oko
Boombat

: Nov 2002
: your butt
: 244
oko  (33)
people wont stopp spaming so why make them?

ok i know this might be a bad idea but why not make a spam section?where people kan post spam all day without the mod's stoping them?komon everyone get's tired of folowing rules ones in a while ok the reason why this was a bad idea before was becuse people would spam to get a higher post count but the post count is gone now so watta ya say
02-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Wtf, do you mean you all want to spam? My god, whats the world coming to...
02-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

It goes back to part of my reason. They would just use that to boost their post counts. For the last time you dont become a mod for having the highest post count. The reader may be gone, but people's rankings will be going up even if they are brand new to these forums. I think it just is a wrong idea from the start, and dont think we should give into people because they want to post a load of crap on our forums.

I have said hundreds of times before Post Quality and in depth posts when you are discussing something instead of posting in mass amounts to boost if you are trying your post count. Everyone will appreciate this very much when you post in depth. You are not going to look cooler if you have a higher post count then someone else, everyone is equal in most of their basic rights, and you dont get new privelages for a higher post count. Enough said.

-Al the Vykker
02-02-2003, 01:02 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

:
Originally posted by Al the Vykker
It goes back to part of my reason. They would just use that to boost their post counts. For the last time you dont become a mod for having the highest post count.
And I keep telling you, it's the ranks and the stars! Those are the things that need to go. Bring back the post count, I say!
02-02-2003, 06:07 PM
oko
Boombat

oko  (33)
Native weeelllllll

if people DON'T get higher post count's if they post in the spam forum?you kan fics it som sort of way that the post's in the spam forum wont count...can't you?
:
Wtf, do you mean you all want to spam?
that's not what i said, i never said everybody want's to spam
02-02-2003, 06:12 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

Good God Al, a spam forum is suggested and you go wild with accusing people of wanting to be mods What is this world coming to... Your suggesting that spammers are scheming to make themselves look good by posting hundreds of post in a spam forum.

I talked to Alcar last night about it, he says you can make forums in which posts won't count toowards a final post count. Though it seems most spammers have an ezboard of their own.
02-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
Originally posted by Majic_Abe
I talked to Alcar last night about it, he says you can make forums in which posts won't count toowards a final post count. Though it seems most spammers have an ezboard of their own.
However, while I'm enthusiastist on member input into the forums (I wish there were more ideas!) this one isn't one I'd like to see.

And yes, like I told Majic you can have forums that don't add posts to your counts.

However, as it is at the moment, I think we have too many forums. Which is another reason why i'm not too keen on this idea.

Simply: SPAM ain't allowed!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

02-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

I don't find the stars and ranks a problem. I used to look at them all the time when I first came to the forums but now I take no notice of them. It's obvious some still do...
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

02-04-2003, 01:47 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

What a stupid idea of making a spam forum....
The only way to stop spammers is by taking out tha rank too... so not much point of spamming, if you can't raise anything. But there are still some idiots that would spam for fun.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

02-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Dont take out the rank and avatar stuff, its cool, i like it for some reason. But no offence Oko but a spam forum is a bad idea. These things can spread if people find its Ok to spam in one place then they might decide to start spamming in other places. THigs like that happen in my last school. When people realised they could break rules with one teacher they started breaking rules with all the teachers. And how do you become a moderator?

Also, Alcar, i sent you a PM about my friend, Flamer the Red who accidentally deleted his cookies by pressing the logout button. He needs help with it! also, i said it might be a good idea to put a pop up box there to warn people that they're about to delete there cookies. Ive been waiting a long time so im guessing it didn't get through. Flamer needs help. Hes loosing faith in the forums!

02-04-2003, 09:19 PM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

What would be the reason for a spam forum? If post counting didn't take place in the spam forum, spammers (trying to boost thier rank) would just go to the regular forums. Another problem is how annoying it is. I remember the ultimate spam thread, which many older members remember as... "Online Hike." It was pretty fun the first few posts, but after page five things got out of hand. The simple fact is that it would get worn out after day one. Sorry, it was a bad idea that wouldn't even work if implemented.
02-05-2003, 12:55 AM
BigBro
Howler Punk

: Sep 2002
: Some place
: 330
BigBro  (10)

I, like alot of the other members here, think that a Spam Forum is kind of a crappy idea. If it didnt attribute to their post counts, I dont think anyone would see any point in posting in there in the first place.

If anything, we need a Venting Forum where members can let out whatever theyre feeling, and the cant be banned or anything by the mods or admins. Also another crappy idea, but hey, I thought Id put something which seemed like worthwhile input in for once.

02-06-2003, 01:13 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

:
Good God Al, a spam forum is suggested and you go wild with accusing people of wanting to be mods What is this world coming to... Your suggesting that spammers are scheming to make themselves look good by posting hundreds of post in a spam forum.
Well since a lot of people think they get special privelages with a higher post count, and dont deny it there are people who do think this. But in the overall picture a spam forum is just a way to give into people, that all they want to do is post crap, and not take the time to develop discussions around here. Thats all I was saying. The other part was more of a movie type plot I was working on. Be interesting though

-Al the Vykker
02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

You can't stop spamming you can only regulate it. Face it guys and gals Spamming is going to be with us forever. And there is nothing we could do to stop that individual no matter what unfortunatly. But we can only regulate it and keep it controled. I mean there will alweys be that one person who spams. So what do we do about it? All we can do is warn them and if they still spam well they know what will happen. This is a very simple problem with a rather simple solution. What gets me though is why people make this into such a big deal. Spamming is a problem we are well aware of. And I am sure our mods and administraitors know this too. You know I wouldn't be surprise if other forums that are like this place have the same problem. And their administraitors do similar things to regulate it. This is the internet we are in a jungle as some say across the wires. Live with it!

02-11-2003, 03:20 PM
oko
Boombat

oko  (33)

after people has spamed a bit in the spam forum they might think it is boring to spam but they might just continue in the other forum's but very well the member's has spoken ther will be no spam forum and that's final.
02-12-2003, 09:36 AM
BigBro
Howler Punk

BigBro  (10)

Well, it was an ok idea. I know of a few boards that have Spam Forums, but theyre mainly for testing sigs and stupid topics and stuff.

02-12-2003, 11:08 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

:
Originally posted by BigBro
Well, it was an ok idea. I know of a few boards that have Spam Forums, but theyre mainly for testing sigs and stupid topics and stuff.
Which board would that be BigBro?

02-12-2003, 08:28 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

PA, if you check around, many boards have test/argument/ranting forums, standard of not-as-closely run forums.
02-12-2003, 10:32 PM
BigBro
Howler Punk

BigBro  (10)

:
Originally posted by paramiteabe
Which board would that be BigBro?
Well, Im not trying to advertise it, but mine and my friends board, my other friends board, another board I got to, etc, etc...
:
Originally posted by Majic_Abe
PA, if you check around, many boards have test/argument/ranting forums, standard of not-as-closely run forums.
Yes, theres a few places that arent as uptightly run as OWF and who actually tolerate spamming (in a way).

02-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
Yes, theres a few places that arent as uptightly run as OWF and who actually tolerate spamming (in a way).
Yeah, but even now you can see the effects of spammers that run free.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

02-13-2003, 02:28 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)
Wired

Well even if you did have a seperate board like that it still wouldn't get rid of spammers. Your alweys going to get that. Like I said you can't get rid of spamming but you can regulate it. And a seperate board could be a way of regulating it. But I don't think the OWF really needs something like that. Its simple three warnings and you get banned or something along those lines. right?

Paramiteabe...

Last edited by paramiteabe; 02-13-2003 at 06:45 AM..
02-16-2003, 09:50 AM
BigBro
Howler Punk

BigBro  (10)

:
Originally posted by Alcar
Yeah, but even now you can see the effects of spammers that run free.
True, we sometimes get some spammers at this place I go to, but the admin usually just ban them for being idiots. And if they come back, and keep doing it, they just ban their IPs.

02-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

:
True, we sometimes get some spammers at this place I go to, but the admin usually just ban them for being idiots. And if they come back, and keep doing it, they just ban their IPs.
Unfortunately we aren't as strict as some other forums

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

02-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

Im glad this place isn't as strict as some others! I think this place should have some punishments, we already have limits to what spammers can do, eg, some people wont allow spammers to have banners, but maybe you have rules like if you spam to much you wont be able to log on for so many days. For people who dont come that much anyway it wont really help but in some cases...
Oh well, ill leave it up to the people at the top to decide.

02-17-2003, 12:22 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

Or a "Wall of bungleheads that have spam constantly" in which we give out insulting titles.
02-17-2003, 01:18 AM
BigBro
Howler Punk

BigBro  (10)

:
Unfortunately we aren't as strict as some other forums
Well, it isnt strictness, its more of the fact that the admin is sick of people who are going to be idiots, and arent planning to do anything else other than be annoying. The admin are actually pretty laid-back.

02-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

:
Or a "Wall of bungleheads that have spam constantly" in which we give out insulting titles.
I would agree with that. I feel it would help people think twice about spamming. We could even get them to have a different colored star system.

-Al
02-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner

:
Originally posted by Al the Vykker
I would agree with that. I feel it would help people think twice about spamming. We could even get them to have a different colored star system.

-Al
Actually thats a good idea Al, would black be good for banned? Or is there another good colour for banned people? Six stars, one star, what do you think?

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events

02-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

No stars.... Therefore they have nothing cool to look at. and an insulting title...
02-18-2003, 01:55 AM
BigBro
Howler Punk

BigBro  (10)

:
Actually thats a good idea Al, would black be good for banned? Or is there another good colour for banned people?
Perhaps pink??
:
Six stars, one star, what do you think?
Like Majic said, no stars. Maybe nothing, or something stupid... the insulting title thing sounds good, though.