Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

10-01-2001, 06:05 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)
ANTI-SoBe PETITION!

I say it's a stupid idee

information here:
http://www.oddworldian.net/oddworldf...c&f=1&t=000792

http://www.oddworldian.net/oddworldf...=000793#000002

http://www.babeloueb.com/oddworld/fo...d=1&postid=161

How much people disagree, how much chances they put it away, PLEASE VOTE ! ! !

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Xavier ]

10-01-2001, 06:30 PM
enversi
Stunk

: Jun 2001
: 40
enversi  (10)

Take out the Sobe ads!

10-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Munch on This
Zappfly

: Aug 2001
: Illinois
: 7
Munch on This  (10)

Take the SoBe ads out of Munch's Oddysee! This will dumb down the universe of oddworld. I don't want to pay for an advertisement!
10-01-2001, 06:49 PM
Elum
Spark Stunk

: Apr 2001
: USA
: 373
Elum  (12)

ehem. Let me see how I can put this nicely :

CALM DOWN! BIG DEAL, THERE IS A SOBE MACHINE IN MUNCHES ODDYSEE! ODDWORLD INHABITANTS HAVE BEEN WORKING THEIR ASSES OFF TO PLEASE US, I AM ALL FOR THEM GETTING A LITTLE MORE MONEY. CHILL OUT.

sorry, we all have different opinions.

10-01-2001, 06:50 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

I am alittle mad the Sobey will be in the game but mabye Oddworld Inhabitants needs the money? Hey we could have a fund raiser for Oddworld (J/K)...

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Oddsville ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

10-01-2001, 07:11 PM
FuzzyFuzzle
Spark Stunk

: Sep 2001
: 369
FuzzyFuzzle  (10)

I agree with Elum and Oddsville. First off, I remember reading somewhere that it was just the SoBe build of the game, so maybe we're getting all worked up over nothing. Second off, if SoBe is in the game, oh well. Sure we'd prefer that'd not be, but its not like it will totally dominate the Munch expirience and the game will feel like a playable billboard. And lastly, if they put SoBe in the game, SoBe must be paying them a whooole lotta cash. Where will this cash go? To buy better equipment, programmars, ect. So before we get all hyped up over this (in three different topics I might add), we should wait 'till we hear an Oddworld Inhabitant say "Yes, SoBe is in the game." or we find SoBe in the game (the latter seems more likely.)
http://oddworldian.net/misc/banners/FuzzyFuzzle.gif

10-01-2001, 07:59 PM
Munch on This
Zappfly

: Illinois
: 7
Munch on This  (10)

I hope it's just a SoBe build of the game. As how would they explain the existance of the product in Oddworld? If it isn't, I'll still buy it. The Oddworld series of games have been the best games I have ever played. They are humorous, the creatures are awesome, and they have the best story-line out of any game or game series for that matter. I was just shocked to hear that their might be product placement in an Oddworld game. This series is on a different planet. If they are going to do an ad for Sobe, they should do it on the box or in the manual, or something similar to that, anything but in-game. I e-mailed Alf about it stating my opinion. I hope that all people who don't like this will e-mail to alf too.

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Munch on This ]
10-01-2001, 08:05 PM
Joe the Intern
Outlaw Cutter

: Boise?
: 1,181
Joe the Intern  (11)

hey, maybe if SoBe didnt promote them, wed never get munchs exoddus. profits from the games alone might not do it anymore. the have to spend lots more money to bring us 3d games.

10-01-2001, 08:53 PM
Elum
Spark Stunk

: USA
: 373
Elum  (12)

Alf said SOBE will be in the game. Read this months dear alf.

10-01-2001, 09:55 PM
FuzzyFuzzle
Spark Stunk

FuzzyFuzzle  (10)

Well, Alf implied that SoBe is in the game. He didn't say it straight out though (he rarely does). He might have just been talking about the SoBe contest, or some other SoBe-OI deal

10-02-2001, 12:27 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

I have to say that I am with Elum on this one. I respect any decision that OWI makes, I always have done. When everyone was jumping up and down about the Xbox move, I supported it.

To me, it's not so bad anyway if SoBe is in the final game... as you can't buy SoBe over here anyway, so as far as I'm concerned it could be an Oddworld drink.

Secondly, SoBe has put in a lot of support for Oddworld with it's competitions and Love Bus tour promoting Oddworld. The Love Bus tour especially may have shown many people Oddworld who may not have heard of the game before or considered it before.

I'm sure when we're playing the game anyway we'll be too engrossed in the game play to worry about what's on a Vending Machine.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

10-02-2001, 01:22 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

NO ABE BABE YOU CAN'T JUST AGRREE WITH OWI ON THIS ONE, YES WE SHOULD RESPECT OW'S DESCISION BUT THIS TIME THEY HAVE GONE TOO FAR.

WHEN I BOUGHT ODDWORLD I THOUGHT I COULD PLAY A GAME THAT WAS BASED ON STORY AND ODDWORLD, BUT AFTER TODAY ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY. THATS ALL IT IS MONEY, I THOUGHT ODDWORLD IS DIFFERENT. BUT THEY AREN'T

I USED TO BE INSPIRED HOW LORNE LANNING USED TO TALK ABOUT THE GAME AND THE STORY RATHER THAN THE MONEY AND THE STOCK. guess not!

AND SOBE, THOSE DAMN MUTHER ****ERS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A SHITTY BUS TO GO AROUND AND GIVE ODDWORLD FLYERS TO PEOPLE THEY GET PUT IN THE DAMN GAME!
WHAT ABOUT SYDNEY AND ABEBABE? THEY GAVE MORE FANS TO ODDWORLD THAN ANY OTHER SOURCE BUT NOOOOOO THEY PUT SOME SHAMEFULL PISS DRINK ON THE MARKET!

FOR PROTEST AGAINST ODDWORLD I AM SHUTTING DOWN MY SITE! plus the occasional email!

IF ANY ODDWORLD STAFF READS THIS, YOU SUCK! IM LEAVING

10-02-2001, 02:34 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

I can't say that SoBe's presence in the game excites me, but as FuzzyFuzzle said, Alf didn't explicitly say that SoBe will be in Munch's Oddysee. For all we know, Alf could have been talking about the Love Bus Tour demo.

This whole situation reminds me of a game whose name I can't recall I had for the Sega Megadrive. It featured two characters called Mac and Mike who, upon completion of each level, were greeted by Ronald McDonald and were showered with colorful M's that you must frantically try to collect. It was actually an enjoyable game, despite being linked to McDonalds.

10-02-2001, 03:39 AM
Cool Paramite
Outlaw Cutter

: The Netherlands
: 1,015
Cool Paramite  (28)

I don't think it's so anoying. I think it's even funny. For example, in Tonic Trouble are vending machines from which you can get Nestle crunch. That product really exists!

Well, I think it's just funny.

10-02-2001, 07:56 AM
Crazy Vykker
Boombat

: Vigo, Spain
: 235
Crazy Vykker  (10)

I think would be good if Alf explain us what happen with SoBe in the final game.

If finally is in the game... we will be resigned... Personally this don´t worry but OWI will make a thing some incongruous.

10-02-2001, 09:21 AM
Teal
Outlaw Cutter

: no
: 1,193
Teal  (10)

Can I just ask what difference to gameplay it will make whether vending machines say "Sobe" or "Boing" or whatever? Does it REALLY MATTER? Will your life END if you see a logo? Who cares? It's a GAME, anyway! It's NOT REAL! It's fun to play around and pretend it's real, but who REALLY CARES?!

*rolls eyes* You people objecting to advertisine - do you all walk round with your eyes shut? Yes it's a pain in the ass, but it's here to stay - it eventually in a roundabout way pays for the things that would otherwise be too expensive to be made.

So please, stop whining?

10-02-2001, 12:39 PM
Crazy Vykker
Boombat

Crazy Vykker  (10)

You are right, but... imagine Dark Vader with a spot in him helmet that say " Drink Coca Cola ". I couln´t imagine this AAARRGGGGG!!!!!!

10-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Crazy Vykker
Boombat

Crazy Vykker  (10)

It suposse is another world, a odd world, in a strange and distant world can´t exist earth trademarks

In added who is the next...Mc Donald´s....Nike..... in the four chapter of the quintology we can change the name for " FranchiseWorld"

10-02-2001, 02:46 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Okey, okey, But now I HATE SoBe
So they missed they advertising... So **** SoBe

10-02-2001, 04:58 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)

:
Originally posted by Crazy Vykker:
You are right, but... imagine Dark Vader with a spot in him helmet that say " Drink Coca Cola ". I couln´t imagine this AAARRGGGGG!!!!!!
That would be funny!

10-02-2001, 05:07 PM
freakyLA
Outlaw Cutter

: Germany
: 1,042
freakyLA  (11)

DAMM! WHERE HAS MY LAST POST GONE!! oh no I dont wanna write everything again!

10-02-2001, 05:18 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

You have Made your two post, do you can't see them ?

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: Xavier ]

10-02-2001, 07:23 PM
Joe the Intern
Outlaw Cutter

Joe the Intern  (11)

its not about the fact that we have to look at another advertisement. its about the fact that oddworld used to stand for something. they used to stand for the little guy. that what the game represented. but i can put up with it. as long as they keep pumping out high quality games im in. but in the new "dear alf" he said that SoBe has many of the same beliefs oddworld does. saving the environment, animal rights, etc...

10-02-2001, 08:54 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

Anti-SoBe? You guys friggin nuts?! If you had some at a football game you'd dig. It's tasty, more so than gatorade and Oh so Refreshing! Even OI loves it and the moolah it'll make. munch chuggin Sobe? Hell yeah! A glukkon guzzlin' it? Damn strait! Oddworld with SoBe, So Be it.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

10-02-2001, 11:08 PM
enversi
Stunk

: 40
enversi  (10)

Some of you are missing the point. It's not about how big the ad is, or even what the ad is about, it's the fact that the put an ad IN the game. I don't care if it's an ad for greenpeace, it doesn't belong in the gameworld. Even if you like what they are advertising, it still destroys your immersion in Oddworld.

Given the choice, I'm sure all of us on this board would rather have the game without the SoBe ad in it. So why are we disagreeing? Tell Oddworld that you don't want it! Email them, tell them you'd rather they take the ad out!

You don't have to go along with it just because you like Oddworld. They aren't Gods, they make mistakes. This is one of them. Don't let your admiration of Oddworld make you complacent. Just email them and ask them to remove the ad! Simple.

10-02-2001, 11:52 PM
FuzzyFuzzle
Spark Stunk

FuzzyFuzzle  (10)

A) while I agree with you that SoBe in the game is not cool, we arn't totally sure it is in the game.
B) It's not just the fact that I admire OI that I'm not sending them e-mail, it's just that I trust them to make the best decision for MO and the company in general. They've been in this buisness alot longer than I have (anythings larger than 0), so I feel confidant enought that they'll make the right choice without pestering them with e-mail messages.

10-03-2001, 08:18 PM
Statikk HDM
Outlaw Flamer

: Two Rivers
: 2,519
Statikk HDM  (40)

What? Destrroys immersion! This just goes to show that OI is a corporation not Jesus. I find that for a company to so proclaim its love for the little guy, then make a game about little guy, and after all that decide that at the end of the day they'd rather be a filthy rich big guy is hilarious! If OI wants to "sell out" I don't care. As long as they produce good games Abe can change his damn tattoos to Nike logos.

I wanna have El Scrabino's man babies.

10-03-2001, 10:22 PM
LuxoJr
Howler Punk

: Australia
: 329
LuxoJr  (10)

Does anybody still remember that scrolling LED in Abe's Exoddus? The one where it said:

:
Where do you want us to send you today?
or something like that. I read somewhere that Sobe is a health powerup, but as long as we never see it in the cutscenes I guess the produce placement could even be funny. Whacking a promo in the CG would undermine the plot that separates unrealistic gameplay elements from realistic storytelling. I guess.
10-03-2001, 11:35 PM
Joe the Intern
Outlaw Cutter

Joe the Intern  (11)

wouldnt it be funny if alf came in right now and read all the negative stuff and got really pissed off and didnt come back? ah. on second thought, thatd suck.

10-04-2001, 02:12 AM
Yemmling
Stingbee

: edina, MN
: 82
Yemmling  (11)

man, some of you guys need to really chill out about this. If oddworld needs funds and support from a company, let'em take it. it only means better quality games for us. plus, sobe kicks ass in several ways. you best not be denyin' else i send my mad fuzzle army out! kwaaaa!!!