02-21-2002, 01:37 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Oddworld spooce shrubs.

I think for Munch's Exoddus there should be less spooce. Lanning should make the spooce more real looking. In other word's instead of just walking over one and collecting them you have to pick them up and take them to some kind of chant circle. just like the quick time movie of the Rain Maker. The Mudokin that was walking up to the storm circle was carrying a pink humshrub. Of coarse it was called humshrubs back then when the game was for PlayStation 2.

I know there was a topic similar to this a while back but I want to give my full opinion on the spooce shrub idea.

Plus are spooce shrubs only located in the spooce shrub forest?
It would of been intresting to see them in Abe's Oddyssey on a 2 D format. But of course Lorn Lanning most likely had that idea only for Munch and the 3D format and it's farely new.

I also think spooce is some kind of fungas like a mushroom. But it's this fungas which give the Mudokins and other creatures unique abilities. I look at it as a natural life cycle. every thing alive is dependant on spooce. No spooce, no life.

So this brings me to an interesting idea. What if the industrialist were to start harvesting spooce shrubs for making possibly cigarites or cigar's and other products from it. The glukkens find out that spooce makes an excellent type of cigar. They would be stealing and depleating the land wiping out all the spooce just for makeing a new type of glukken cigar. Since Glukkens get lung cancer a lot, maybe spooce can be used for a sort of safe cigar. If you smoke spooce you won't get cancer plus it's refreshing. I can see that you have to shut down a spooce harvesting mill and regrow all the spooce. It's possible and it's anouther way for Glukkens to make a profit off the land.

This would be bad because it would start affecting the enviorment in some way. In MO the Vykkers were harveting spooce in the sewers. It's very possible.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 02-21-2002 at 05:48 AM..
02-21-2002, 03:33 PM
joseph
Zappfly

: Feb 2002
: Hayward California
: 2
joseph  (10)

no one cares about the frikin spooce shrubs
02-22-2002, 12:43 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Apr 2001
: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)
Spooce and Spooceshrubs

You've got very intersting ideas, though I think you're not using the term spooce accurately. The way I see, spooce and spooceshrubs are different things.

Spooce is a kind of vital energy that is chaneled and used by the mudokons in several ways, running storms circles, locking doors, loading weapons like the spoocebow, the tomahawk, and the misterious spooce cannon.

Spooceshrubs are called that way because it happens that they can accumulate spooce in it, but I believe that other living beings can do the same. Take Abe and Munch, for instance, they can acummulate spooce inside them, by collecting spooceshrubs. the energy is transfered from the shrub to the character. After that, he can transfer it again to several different devices, to make them run. In addition, Abe can use his pyschic power to concentrate spooce again into the depleted shrub, by chanting and making the shrub regrow full of spooce.

Weapons can also concentrate and redirect spooce from the environment. The spoocebow and the tomahawk are made from ancient bones and gems. These materials, I think, are able to make use of the spooce that comes from the mudokon using the weapon, or from the surrounding environment.

Anyway, I guess if I keep going, I will end making no sense at all...
02-22-2002, 10:12 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)
Happy

That makes good sense. I was just woundering if industrialist's could use spooce for their benefit in some way. Like the cigar idea.
02-24-2002, 01:10 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

It would be great for Gabbits, no more being hunted..maybe.
02-24-2002, 01:39 AM
The Shrink
Thudslug

: Feb 2002
: Australia
: 162
The Shrink  (10)

I think the whole concept of spooce was rushed and kind of crappy for OWI. I see where they're coming from, Muds using them for spiritual energy, very odd but the way it was done was so like every other 3D game like Mario, Crash Bandicoot or Croc. It should have been done more cleverly, Maybe keep spoocelocks and the stormcircle, but not possesion orbs (keep the way Abe possessed guys in AO/AE. I'd like to forget it ever happened, but unfortunately I think spooce is here to stay.
02-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

I like Abe's new possession technique. Well, not the using up of Spooce, but the Possession Orb. In AO and AE he could only focus on the nearest or most powerful creature to take over, but now he's got the ability to pick who he wants.

03-08-2002, 10:44 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Not all the time Max the Mug Some times in AO and AE you possess a slig thats in the background and you are in the foreground.

A good example is when you are in Necrum Mines and you are in the second tunnel. After the first tunnel. You go through the door to the background of the secret area and have the slig chase you back to the door. enter the foreground before the slig gets you then you can possess him from the foreground.

You can possess sligs from a distance in the background in those games.
03-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

Abe posses Sligs in the background if there is no other slig close to him in AO and AE. The nearest slig is always possessed first. I also like the possession orb. It also can be used as an exploration device, more suitable to 3D environments.
03-09-2002, 11:58 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

If you think about it possession orbs are a great idea for Munch. Since this Oddworld game is in 3D it makes perfect sense. It would be hard to use the nearest slig type trick in a 3D enviorment. Like in the other games where you can possess the slig in the background. Well in a 3D enviorment everything that is ahead of you is considered a background. So You can say that there is kind of no background in a 3D game like Munch. So what do you do? You compinsate a little and change some elements around to make it more suitible for your game. So Lorn Lanning created spooce shrubs and possession orbs to better suit his 3D enviorment. It's the same trick from the the past games but it has been changed a little to better suit the 3D game play.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 03-09-2002 at 04:01 AM..
03-09-2002, 02:22 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

i liked collecting spooce shrubs, however i did not like the idea so much that it was the only way for muds to get spiritual energy,it made seem more like magic in a way then spirituality.