08-15-2001, 01:45 AM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Apr 2001
: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)
adim stuff

at the bottom of each post there is writing that says IP logged and when i click on it. a message comes up and says that only moderators can use this. what does logged mean?

08-15-2001, 02:10 AM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

Lantra, you must not be a real computer person. So let me explane this as easily as possible. Every computer has an IP adress, it is a 8-12 digit number that identifies your computer online making it so you can connect to other people in games and you can be traced.

Traced is not really a bad thing, it only means that a server knows your IP address and says Hello, Landra everytime you come on. This also makes a cookie on your temp internet file so that it knows who you are when you log on to the forum in the event that you are on a firewall. A firewall is a IP address protector so someone can't use your IP to take advanage of you online.

Now, admins can get your IP to see if you have mulitple names or if you flood the servers and forums so that they can punish you (bad or suspend). So, that is what a admin does with your IP, they may I more features... but I'm not a admin so I'm not sure. I hoped this helped you...

Dakkan

08-15-2001, 04:19 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

Dakkan has pretty much answered everything.

Both websites and users when connected to the internet have IP addresses. Most users have an IP address that is allocated to them from their internet provider.

Oddworld-Web's IP address for example is 203.202.16.55 (but with it you won't see my actual site, some sites you can view through the IP address).

But only myself and Sydney can view the IP addresses. This tells us where a user is posting from and we can use this if a member is troublesome or if we suspect people of having multiple user names we can check this based on the IP address. We are also able to ban people from posting based on their IP address.

Abe Babe...

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Abe Babe ]

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

08-15-2001, 04:31 AM
Joe the Intern
Outlaw Cutter

: Boise?
: 1,181
Joe the Intern  (11)

damn it sounds like you have a lot of power behind those things. and to think, there tiny on the screen! lol

08-15-2001, 04:59 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

thanks abe babe and dakkan. and also dakkan no i am not a computer person.

08-16-2001, 12:47 AM
Dakkan Blackblade
Super Stingbee

: Boca Raton
: 497
Dakkan Blackblade  (24)

I love computers!