07-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

: Jul 2003
: 127.0.0.1
: 1,670
Codek  (10)
Moderators...

Yeah I know we don't need an army of 'em, but we could probably use some more. I suggest the recruitment of a few of our "regulars", so that the forums can still be moderated while other moderators are offline. There have been times when arguments have taken place and there were no moderators to stop it - either all of them were offline, or they didn't have the powers.

The forums most needing more moderators are Off Topic, FS&H, and GD. I'd say the other forums will be alright for the moment, as they are quite quiet.

Most eligable regulars: (probably... let me know if you think you've been left out)

Oddguy. (all round nice guy, very fair, mature)
ferill. (funny, easy to get on with, very honest)
SeaRex. (eloquent, funny, honest and fair)
Mac The Janitor. (too damn funky)

Also, I would like to moderate on either OT or FS&H (or both). From what people tell me, I figure I would probably make a fairly good moderator.

Probably the best time to start bringing in new moderators is about now. They will have plenty of time to familiarise themselves with OWF moderating before Stranger is released, and by the time it is released, they should be fully prepared to do the job.

Let me know what you think.
07-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Killa_47
Sniper Wasp

: Jun 2004
: Paramonia!
: 285
Killa_47  (10)

*coughs loudly and angrily*

You may not know me much but you should count me as one of your 'regulers'
and i would like to mod off-topic.

07-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
*coughs loudly and angrily*

You may not know me much but you should count me as one of your 'regulers'
and i would like to mod off-topic.
You've been here since June, and have 154 posts. Sorry, but you're still only a newbie. The people I listed have been here for a long, long time. Most of us on the list have been here for over a year or more, and have 1000+ posts.

But that doesn't mean to say you don't stand a chance! Stick around, keep posting, and who knows. But at the moment, as I said, you're still very new.
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I wouldn't mind tossing up my spot to someone. My time on is usually limited to the night, and sparatic.
07-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
I wouldn't mind tossing up my spot to someone. My time on is usually limited to the night, and sparatic.
I would happily take over from you if that is what you really want to do. But I think it would be better to keep you on as a mod, since you are very good at your job, and just recruit extras.
07-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

How time consuming is the job? I was thinking about it but I only really go on for a little while in the morning to check whats new. How much fiddling would I have to do (if I was eligible, which I'm probably not)?

07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
How time consuming is the job? I was thinking about it but I only really go on for a little while in the morning to check whats new. How much fiddling would I have to do (if I was eligible, which I'm probably not)?
I was actually wondering about you. The job isn't really very time consuming, you just use the forums as you normally do, but as well as following the rules, you also enforce them. Coming by a bad post or an argument is a matter of luck. Sometimes you might miss a few, sometimes you might get a few. But when you do come across one, it's up to you to hand out warnings, delete posts, and close threads.

You've got to have a good judgement though. You also need to be the voice of reason. Sometimes you may not have to hand out warnings or close threads, but may more effectively deal with things if you just talk to people and see if you can settle it. You have to decide what action is the right action.

Although I don't know you as well as some of the others, I'd say you would probably make a very good moderator. Probably more so in the field of sorting out disputes and arguments. Do you think you would like the job?
07-07-2004, 09:12 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

Oooh, I made Codek's list!

I would be able to handle a moderator position...if others see me fit to do the job.

-oddguy

07-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Oooh, I made Codek's list!

I would be able to handle a moderator position...if others see me fit to do the job.

-oddguy
Yeah you'd make a great moderator. I'm pretty sure it's one thing we all unanimously agree on. Everybody here really likes you a lot.
07-07-2004, 09:18 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Jun 2003
: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

:
Yeah you'd make a great moderator. I'm pretty sure it's one thing we all unanimously agree on. Everybody here really likes you a lot.
That's what I keep hearing. SS said the same thing. I never really though I was liked that much...just well known.

-oddguy

07-07-2004, 09:19 PM
The Red Muse
Clakker Store Clerk

: Oct 2002
: I really can't remember.
: 798
The Red Muse  (10)

I agree that both Oddguy and Fez would make a great mods.

...yes.

07-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
That's what I keep hearing. SS said the same thing. I never really though I was liked that much...just well known.

-oddguy
It goes hand in hand.
07-07-2004, 09:25 PM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: North East England
: 479
ClaireBear  (10)

:
Oddguy. (all round nice guy, very fair, mature)
Yes! Yes! Yes! Mature, sensible... YES!

:
ferill. (funny, easy to get on with, very honest)
Nope! Sorry Ferill but some of your "easy to get on with" remarks may be funny be they aren't exactly presented in a way not to cause offense.

:
SeaRex. (eloquent, funny, honest and fair)
Yes! Yes! Yes! Perfect mod material!

:
Mac The Janitor. (too damn funky)
Nope! Sorry Mac but your flippant attitude and tendancy to take things to the nth would only cause more problems!

Codek... I don't know really it would only work if you could distance yourself from your other cyber best buds to be impartial.

I would have suggested me (but after Tuesday... ) ... as don't know whether you've noticed on alot of threads concerning personal issues (drink/drugs/sex/bereavement) I have posted some very informative help in there rather than the usual "I like lager.. I get drunk every friday!" comments! ... People have commented upon this on numberous occasions

I wouldn't be too tough on some lines of spam... some (most) is only natural thread progression/deviation/evolution) but I would be tough on people not throwing in an offensive remark/joke with out the aid of smilies... some of you have got to learn that behind the avatar a person may be sitting in tears deeply offended by your joke!

Last edited by ClaireBear; 07-08-2004 at 01:00 AM..
07-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

Hmmm... Just like the old Death. Always wanting power. Good way of doing it though, with the nominating of others, and then slipping in your bit. It's a lot better than the old "Give me power!"
07-08-2004, 01:04 AM
ClaireBear
Super Stingbee

: Mar 2004
: North East England
: 479
ClaireBear  (10)

:
Hmmm... Just like the old Death. Always wanting power. Good way of doing it though, with the nominating of others, and then slipping in your bit. It's a lot better than the old "Give me power!"
I don't think he'd actually be good mod material anyway... He's not impartial enough.. holds grudges and over reacts...

But knowing you guys you'll vote him in because
"he's been here so long"
"He's my best cyber bud and I want his children"
"He's my hero, my idol... he's so cool"
"I get a funny feeling in the groinal area when I read his posts"

Bah!

Then rue the day he was nominated never mind elected!

Some more appropriate people would be...

Oddguy
Searex
Nate
Statikk

and.... *ahem* ME! ... Nah! not me!

Last edited by ClaireBear; 07-08-2004 at 01:07 AM..
07-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

GD don't need any mods at the moment, thank you

07-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

I offer to help with moderating and suddenly I'm a power hungry tyrant? Hah, yeah you haven't changed a single bit Fax. Even the last time when I asked for mod powers, it was only for the Oddlympics sub-forum. Wow some power I would've had then.

But the crucial difference here is, that I'm not even asking. I'm volunteering. I want to help out. If I don't get the job then whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

What are you worried about anyway? That I might close a thread at you? Or maybe I might just warn you to death?
07-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

Hahahahaha. Ha. Haha...[/fakelaughter]

Seriously I think if anyone should be nominated for modship, they should be discussed and chosen by Alcar and Abebabe, as I do agree their have been a lot of things slipping through the system as of late. Although few things seem to get past Disgruntled Intern thankfully.
07-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Hahahahaha. Ha. Haha...[/fakelaughter]

Seriously I think if anyone should be nominated for modship, they should be discussed and chosen by Alcar and Abebabe, as I do agree their have been a lot of things slipping through the system as of late. Although few things seem to get past Disgruntled Intern thankfully.
Why should we have nominations or even anything? It's such a big waste of time. Lets just choose the ones who will be good at it and want to do it, then let them get on with the moderating. For gods sake none of us are going to run riot and cause some massive controversy.

Lets face it, it's just a chore that needs doing. People who will actually enjoy the responsibility of it are few and far between, and I say we should take advantage of those we have here who are experienced enough with this forum, and eager enough to help out.

I want to help out, I try to help out, but frankly I can only go so far before I get told the usual "You aren't a moderator blah blah blah". There are never the moderators around. Majic isn't on much in OT, and that just leaves DI on his own, who can't be on 24/7. GD is the same, only two mods, one of whom is on "hiatus", the other isn't often online in the same timezone as everyone else, if at all.

FS&H is the worst of all. The only moderators being Abe Babe and Alcar. Alcar is on holiday, and I've not seen Kristen online in several days. Arguments break out there and go on and on and on because there is nobody to stop it. Even while both Alcar and Abe Babe are at home and using the forums as normal. I mean I could so easily moderate that, I'm in there pretty often helping people out and making suggestions, heck anyone could do it.

Two mods per forum doesn't cut it. If one of them has to do something, then it leaves one mod unsupported, and if he goes offline then the forum is completely unsupervised. We need more mods, at the moment the system isn't flexible enough.

Last edited by Codek; 07-08-2004 at 04:17 AM..
07-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

:
GD is the same, only two mods, one of whom is on "hiatus", the other isn't often online in the same timezone as everyone else, if at all.
Max isn't on hiatus anymore... he simply has little internet problem last days.
And I don't think the fact there are a couple of hours I sleep a day cause much trouble

GD isn't a very busy part, trust me 2 mods can handle it

07-08-2004, 04:30 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
Max isn't on hiatus anymore... he simply has little internet problem last days.
And I don't think the fact there are a couple of hours I sleep a day cause much trouble

GD isn't a very busy part, trust me 2 mods can handle it
Yes, at the moment you can. But when Stranger comes out, you'll be overwhelmed. If you have three moderators, there is a better chance that at least one moderator will be online, and you get a greater flexibility, which allows one moderator to leave the forums for a period of time, for school or holidays, without reducing the effectiveness of the moderator team for that specific forum.
07-08-2004, 04:34 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

perhaps...
I guess Max and me could then use oddguy or someone else.
more flexibility, why not, we have to concider if it's realy usefull

07-08-2004, 04:37 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
perhaps...
I guess Max and me could then use oddguy or someone else.
more flexibility, why not, we have to concider if it's realy usefull
Well, even if it turns out that you don't need the extra help, it certainly couldn't hurt to have an extra moderator on standby.

EDIT: I think it's worth noting that I'm probably not the best option for a GD moderator, as I'm not the most passionate person when it comes to Oddworld.
07-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

true...
but I wait to see Abe Babe's and Max's oppinions

07-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

If new mods are to be added, and you want good coverage/flexibility, then the ideal thing to do would be getting different people who cover different time areas. For General Discussion, it would probably have to be an American or Australian. Off Topic would call for European or Australian. Bt those are pretty much the only two forums that anything significant ever happens in. And the whole time thing if only for uber 1337 efficientness.
07-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
true...
but I wait to see Abe Babe's and Max's oppinions
Fair enough. We can't exactly do anything yet until Kristen gets here anyway...

I'm hoping, that I at least get to moderate FS&H as a backup, and ultimately I would like to moderate OT. But that may not happen if a few people still think that I just want to do it for the power. Fingers crossed, Abe Babe will look past that and hook me up with a job.

Majic, by the time Stranger has come out, and we've got tons of new users signed up here, there will be so many different time zones that whatever timezones you think we require now won't even apply. You're right of course, a diversity of timezones would be helpful, but ultimately we just need an extra supply of good moderators.
07-08-2004, 04:52 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Nov 2001
: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

I appreciate being mentioned.

However, the only two forums I would consider moderating would be OT and FA&L because those are the only ones I visit. OT seems pretty well covered and FA&L... well, a retarded monkey could run that place... it hardly needs moderating.

But still, I'm honored to even be considered.

*subscribes to thread*
07-08-2004, 04:53 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

I've actually been discussin mods with peter for a while. As you know, The Red Muse gets my spot.

Though I'm to move into a nomination to OT if an opening comes up.

Peter has stated in the past that only Super mods and Admins can moderate FS&H. For apparently obvious reasons.

That I don't see.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I agree with all on that list except Oddguy. I shall keep my reasons my own to avoid offence/ arguing.

Last edited by Hobo; 07-08-2004 at 04:56 AM..
07-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Codek
Outlaw Sniper

Codek  (10)

:
However, the only two forums I would consider moderating would be OT and FA&L because those are the only ones I visit. OT seems pretty well covered and FA&L... well, a retarded monkey could run that place... it hardly needs moderating.
Don't speak so soon. We're talking in terms of the stranger release here. OT may seem pretty well covered, but it's actually only barely covered. DI does a champion job but he really could use an extra for while he isn't on.

Hobo, although Peter may say we don't need a moderator in FS&H, in truth, we really do. Sorting out bugs and things should definately be the responsibility of the admins, but when stranger does eventually come out, there will be a mass of newbies asking questions about the forums. More newbies than Abe Babe and Peter alone can handle without it taking up too much of their OWF time.

Even as it is, arguments break out in FS&H and often go on for ages because nobody is there to keeps tabs on it.

EDIT: Hobo, just out of interest, do you agree that I would make a good moderator? I'm just wondering because you said you agreed with everyone on the list, but nobody has really said anything about me.

Last edited by Codek; 07-08-2004 at 05:01 AM..
07-08-2004, 05:04 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

Yeah, You'd make a good mod I think, though you would have to take a more passive approach to arguments and avoid them if you see them getting out of hand. Otherwise, I think you'd be fine