Oddworld Forums > Zulag One > Oddworld Discussion

12-02-2001, 02:01 PM
LavosSpawn
Stunk

: Dec 2001
: 35
LavosSpawn  (10)
Does anyone agree with me?

Im severely disappointed in Munch's Oddysee. First off is the freakin' SoBe thing. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? Oddworld was an artistic vision, full of believable characters, and tortured souls. Now the art has been shattered by the drive for moolah. Secondly, what's with all these Tomahawkers and stuff with weapons? And controlling an army? And 3D? Is this Oddworld or Warcraft? The cool thing about Oddworld was you got on with your brain as your only weapon. Now Im probably gonna get flamed for this, but thats my two cents. Tell me what you think.
lets ask can we stay!

CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?
To a place where blind men see
CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?
To a place with golden streets

12-02-2001, 02:13 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

: Nov 2001
: Mesa, Arizona
: 306
Eibu  (10)

this is nothing that hasn't already been said here before...

...just stick with it and hope they wise up (and don't rush it again) next time.

12-02-2001, 02:23 PM
LavosSpawn
Stunk

LavosSpawn  (10)

Sorry, i'm new, didnt know it had been said before.
lets ask can we stay!

CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?
CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?

12-02-2001, 02:28 PM
Lantra
Clakker Relic Miner

: Apr 2001
: Vancouver Canada
: 847
Lantra  (11)

dont worry about repeating stuff. it happens alot!

12-02-2001, 02:32 PM
AbesterKidS13
Zappfly

: Yorba Linda
: 1
AbesterKidS13  (10)

:
Originally posted by Eibu:
this is nothing that hasn't already been said here before...

...just stick with it and hope they wise up (and don't rush it again) next time.
i agree with you eibu

12-02-2001, 02:40 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Jul 2001
: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

They are a lot of real things but Oddworld evoluated, it would bet other in the next games, better, or not !

12-02-2001, 03:16 PM
LavosSpawn
Stunk

LavosSpawn  (10)

:
They are a lot of real things but Oddworld evoluated, it would bet other in the next games, better, or not !
What did that mean?
lets ask can we stay!

CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?
CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?

12-02-2001, 03:23 PM
Xavier
Oddworld Administrator
The Oddworld Archivist

: Belgium
: 17,592
Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)Xavier  (3581)

Abe => Munch => Squeeq => Nod => ???

They are differents heroes, they are differents games, BUT it's the same story!
The story will come to the big Cities of Oddworld, but it's only the Quintology story, But the others games (others of the quintology) will be all around oddworld!

12-02-2001, 05:35 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

In AO [and, to a certain extent, in AE] you could almost believe that Oddworld was a real place. You didn't believe that the games were real, of course, because they were 2D, but you could almost believe they were set in a real place. In short, while the games themselves were unrealistic, the world they were set in was very realistic.

But then along came Spooce, reminding you that Oddworld is just a computer game. Spooce just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could be real. The same with 'Health', which AO and AE were refreshingly free of. In those games, you get shot, you die. Another thing that seems a little on shaky ground is the conversion of Normal Mudokons into Tomahawkers simply by taking them to an Oracle-Type thing.

These are just my impressions. I haven't got the game, so I don't claim to know how it actually feels to play it. I am merely judging from what I know of the game, and from what I've been told by people who have played it...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

12-02-2001, 05:52 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

aye...the sprooce bit is silly, almost non-oddworldish. Having to go around collecting it so Abe can use his possession ablities is stupid. He didn't need it before!!! Another thing that bugs me about the sprooce...it reminds me too much of other 'the main purpose of this game is to run around collecting this' games: ie Donkey Kong Country 64(you have to collect bananas to open locked doors), Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (you collect things called 'jiggys' to get into the next lv, and you have to collect 'notes' to do other things (I don't remember)).
MO you collect sprooce so Abe can possess sligs and gluks and to open doors...
see what I am getting at?

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

12-02-2001, 06:02 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

I think Munch's Oddysee lost some of Oddworlds oddness also, but I also think that Munch's Exoddus will get the games back on track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

12-02-2001, 06:17 PM
LavosSpawn
Stunk

LavosSpawn  (10)

Munch just kinda lost Oddworld. it's like a new game. You could throw Abe and Mudokens in Mario, but it wouldnt be Oddworld.they need to lose the 3d thing, the health, the sprooce, and all of the battle and weapons crap.

Not to mention the SoBE

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Odd is just the beginning ]
lets ask can we stay!

CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?
CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?

12-02-2001, 06:19 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

I don't think we should expect too much from ME, to be honest. The gameplay will be the same as MO, since the gameplay of AE was the same as AO. Squeek is what we should expect wonders from...

12-02-2001, 06:39 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by Odd is just the beginning:
they need to lose the 3d thing1, the health2, the sprooce3, and all of the battle and weapons crap4.
1. If the quintology had started on the Xbox, AO and AE would be 3D (according to some guy called Lorne, what does he know?)
2. Apparently you can change your difficulty level so you have one-hit kills (can anyone confirm this?)
3. *agrees totally* (BTW, it's 'spooce' not sprooce)
4. The idea of the fighting isn't that bad but I don't like the idea of 'upgrading' Muds
12-02-2001, 06:47 PM
Abe's son
Outlaw Shooter

: Essex MA
: 1,331
Abe's son  (10)

the gluks right!
12-02-2001, 07:09 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Im the opposite way on GS's 4th statement. I think upgrading and fighting is a good idea (even though its poorly done in MO from what I hear.)
I agree with all of you on the spooce thing. It's oddworld, not Mario.
12-02-2001, 07:14 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

I don't mind the idea of fighting, but I don't like the idea of having 'powerful' [relatively speaking] characters, like Fuzzles and Tomahaukers. I liked the way, in AO, that you had to think about how to kill things, because you had no weapons...

12-02-2001, 07:19 PM
LavosSpawn
Stunk

LavosSpawn  (10)

I agree with Rettick, AO and AE were violent, but it was CEREBRAL violence, not muds with guns blowin' sligs up and "Powerups to the People!"
lets ask can we stay!

CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?
CAN YOU TAKE ME HIGHER?

12-02-2001, 08:01 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

difficultly level? There is no difficultly level from what I saw...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

12-02-2001, 08:26 PM
FuzzyFuzzle
Spark Stunk

: Sep 2001
: 369
FuzzyFuzzle  (10)

Well, I thought MO all around was a good game, but some of that special "oddness" is kind of gone. There could've been a longer (and more involving) storyline, more character devolpement (both in the story and gameplay) and spooce is pretty annoying. And the enviorments weren't all that varied either. There were caves, outdoor areas, and factories. No temples or jungles (there was a forest but you couldn't do anything with it). But all and all I wasn't disappointed. I think that ME will be a good step above MO, because OI can clean up all that messy PS2 coding and get some better load times, and include all that stuff we saw in the early PS2 videos, such as factory devolpement and resource gathering. And, most important to me, ditch level-based gameplay. I think'd be better to be able to return to some areas. I mean, for OI's first 3D XBOX game, it was very good. And the series will only get better.

And, just my opinion, 3D is very good, and while 2D Oddworld games were very fun, in the coming years 'new' Oddworld fans wouldn't be attracted by them as well, because of all the amazing 3D games in the market, and many would think 2D is a way of the past. Althought it would be funny to include a couple 'classic' levels, with 3D graphics but 2D gameplay, just for us die-hard Oddies.
http://oddworldian.net/misc/banners/FuzzyFuzzle.gif

12-02-2001, 08:37 PM
Jotch
Bolamite

: 62
Jotch  (10)

How many times....

1. SoBe owns and theres no reason to get mad about it.
12-02-2001, 08:42 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

We can hardly blame OWI for wanting to reach out to a wider audience, can we? I mean, the first two games, while very good, didn't do so well in the charts - most of my friends have never heard of Oddworld. MO is a more populist game, designed to reach out to the gaming majority, who are mostly younger than their current fans. While this was bound to result in a loss of quality, it is only to be expected...

12-02-2001, 08:48 PM
Pilot

: ▄▀▄▀
: 2,722
Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)Pilot  (3581)

Again I must mention that Oddworld didn't get any money from Sobe! It was a cross-promotional arrangement. Also, Lorne is severely disappointed with MO's game engine. The engine and the gameplay are going to be totally revamped in ME.

12-02-2001, 08:51 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

Just ignore Jotch, Pilot. He delights in trying to stir up trouble...

12-02-2001, 09:06 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Thanks Piolt for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure if Lorne was disapointed of the game or not, I was worried that if he wasn't disapointed then all the future games would be kinda the same not the Munch's Oddysee was bad it just lost some of its oddness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

12-02-2001, 09:52 PM
Jotch
Bolamite

: 62
Jotch  (10)

:
Again I must mention that Oddworld didn't get any money from Sobe! It was a cross-promotional arrangement.
Thats what i was saying basically, i was not trying to start trouble.
12-03-2001, 02:14 AM
Lampion
Sewer Sleg

: Brazil
: 714
Lampion  (11)

I assume that most of the members of this forum are die-hard Oddworld fans, who follow the series since Abe's Oddysee first game, and were looking foward Munch's Oddysee for almost three years. During this time, we heard so much amazing info from Oddworld, that we were expecting to see a massive, photo-realistic, A.L.I.V.E.2 Oddworld game. That explains some of the major complainings about MO. It is still a game, not a "passport to other dimension".

But, if you compare Munch game to Abe's games, you will realise that MO means a HUGE EVOLUTION in the direction of the real vision of Oddworld planet, as Mr. Lorne Lanning and his folks at OWI have imagined.

I haven't played Munch's Oddysee yet, but I'm pretty sure that it won't dissapoint me in any aspect, actually I think I'll spend some of my weekend-free-time playing it for a good couple of years, like I do with Abe's games until today.
12-03-2001, 02:27 AM
General Drippik
Outlaw Shooter

: Australia
: 1,339
General Drippik  (11)

:
Originally posted by Dragadon:
Another thing that bugs me about the sprooce...it reminds me too much of other 'the main purpose of this game is to run around collecting this' games: ie Donkey Kong Country 64(you have to collect bananas to open locked doors), Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (you collect things called 'jiggys' to get into the next lv, and you have to collect 'notes' to do other things (I don't remember)).
[/IMG]
*adds to the list* 40 winks.... you have to collect cogs to get into doors...

12-03-2001, 04:56 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

Great another one who is on my side!

Oddworld so far looks like a gay platformer that makes the game fell like its just supposed to be played through not thought about.
AO was a masterpeice, you didn't have any weapons, you only had your mind to guide you through an empire of guns and ammo... Now the game is like you are on the tough side with all these additions.. The puzzles have gone into spyro the dragon type where some idiot tells you what to do and you do it.
And spooce, what the hell is this donkey kong!
Now i am not even going to start with sobe because it will drive me to insanity.

The only reason i am sticking with oddworld is because they have so much potential to create a perfect game like AO and not ruin it with extra features and things to make the game easy..

12-03-2001, 06:17 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Lets face it. OWI ****ed up on this one.
They rushed it and didn't change the programming, They included crappy things such as spooce and status, It doesn't feel right AO and AE had a special oddness about them and they have lost it, POTTY HUMOUR, since when was planes dropping vending machines an oddworld concept?, Sponsorship, Oddworld is a game not stupid drink advertistment.

There's a lot more you can add to the list.