11-24-2001, 02:24 AM
P O'conner
Zappfly

: Nov 2001
: utah
: 6
P O'conner  (10)
I need opinions

Does any one else feel Munch has lost the oddworld soul? The graphics of the first two games were mesmerizing now I can't help but think this has become just another mass produced corporate disposable game. The puzzles are lame. The game is glitchy. The hummor is Beavis and Butthead.
11-24-2001, 05:03 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2001
: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

OMY GOD!!! IS IT REALLY YOU! PAUL FLUCKING O'CONNER! YOU ARE LIKE THE BEST!

I totaly agree, i was really worriede that oddworld will lose its mysticalness and itsa no longer a world of wonder and a puzzle game? I haven't played the game but by the looks of it the game looks like crash bandicoot meets metal gear solid? no lurkiness or wonder

11-24-2001, 06:06 AM
Eibu
Howler Punk

: Mesa, Arizona
: 306
Eibu  (10)

I probably don't have much of a right to talk right now since I won't be playing it fully until X-mas but i've played a level at a demo station...

...it was an early level with Munch inside Vykker Labs and the whole environment there seemed pretty lurky to me.

I don't know I think overall it looks great but I still have a couple thoughts on why many don't think it's "Oddworldish"

-we all know that many things happened to the final product because of the transition from PS2 to X-Box so maybe that has something to do with it.

-this is Munch's Oddysee and not Abe's so maybe we should accept new styles as the games progress

-Time. Maybe the console switch set them back a little and because they had to be ready by launch date they were a little rushed to get it done and therefor were unable to make the game as minutely detailed as they would like it.

-Besides remember Abe's Exodduss was overall a "richer" game than Oddysee in gameplay and graphics and since Munch's Exodduss will be programmed for the X-Box from the start we're going to be really blown away next time

Peace

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Eibu ]

11-24-2001, 09:06 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

the crew at oddworld inhabitants was too anxious and happy since their arrival to the xbox they were too busy on thinking on what they were making! Since they had to quickly make the game under short notice they never actually stopped to ask them "is this oddworld."
Hopefully the dark humour that has been with oddworld for 2 games still lies in oddworld and has not become tacky and desperate.
So far i am not impressed about what has been hapening so far with OWI, and that IS including their love life with sobe. I think that money was on their brains and hoped that us fans will be too into the game to notice it. I could be wrong in everything that i say but this is what i think.
Oddworld is very creative and intellegent but i think the whole XBOX crud went to their heads. I'm only getting the game because i love oddworld that much and hopefully in march i'll be beging for your forgivness

11-24-2001, 10:54 AM
FuzzyFuzzle
Spark Stunk

: Sep 2001
: 369
FuzzyFuzzle  (10)

I have the game, and before I lauch I too kind of felt that it would lose it's "Oddworldness" in 3D from the screen shots. But I don't think it really has. There are clouds that cast shadows that drift across the landscape, and Vykkers labs looks like an evil scientist's lab if he's making zany commercial products. I agree with connor that the humor is worse than the other games, and some of the puzzles are a little tedious, but, just out of curiosity, what did you find glitchy? I played through the game and didn't notice any big glitches (Except for abe being able to stand sideways). So I don't think Munch has lost the Oddworld soul, it's just changed. And remember this is the first (fully) 3D game OI has made, and it can only improve.
http://oddworldian.net/misc/banners/FuzzyFuzzle.gif

11-24-2001, 12:48 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

:
Originally posted by ODDBODD:
So far i am not impressed about what has been hapening so far with OWI, and that IS including their love life with sobe. I think that money was on their brains and hoped that us fans will be too into the game to notice it. I could be wrong in everything that i say but this is what i think.
Oddworld is very creative and intellegent but i think the whole XBOX crud went to their heads. I'm only getting the game because i love oddworld that much and hopefully in march i'll be beging for your forgivness
I thought they didn't get any money from Sobe...it was only a deal for promotion.

P.S. Oddbodd, I think it's a work of comic genious that you've taken down your site because of Sobe, yet you still have a link to "Vote for me at Oddworld Topsites"

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: Eibu ]

11-24-2001, 01:06 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

I have noticed a glitch that is really annoying. Sometimes when you exit the level for some reason the X-Box can't read the disk and you are forced to take out the disk and put it back in. Hense...you have to start over from your last save/quick save grrr. I don't know if its a problem with the disk or the X-Box itself (I only have MO).
Anyway...The puzzles are a bit on the easy side for me...I just finished the Sprooce Forest level late last night.

Spider: well if yer stop lookin' at the guide book it would be harder...

Quiet you!

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

11-24-2001, 01:41 PM
P O'conner
Zappfly

P O'conner  (10)

:
Originally posted by ODDBODD:
OMY GOD!!! IS IT REALLY YOU! PAUL FLUCKING O'CONNER! YOU ARE LIKE THE BEST!

I totaly agree, i was really worriede that oddworld will lose its mysticalness and itsa no longer a world of wonder and a puzzle game? I haven't played the game but by the looks of it the game looks like crash bandicoot meets metal gear solid? no lurkiness or wonder
No I'm not paul sorry. The glitches I noticed occur mainly after a restart from a quicksave; Munch won't take control of Snoozer in sloghut 2813 and after the door at end is opened Abe cannot switch to Munch and the quicksave and save to hard disk options dissappear from console. If you call tech support they give you a 900 number that costs $1.40/min and only gives game tips!

11-24-2001, 01:42 PM
P O'conner
Zappfly

P O'conner  (10)

:
Originally posted by FuzzyFuzzle:
I have the game, and before I lauch I too kind of felt that it would lose it's "Oddworldness" in 3D from the screen shots. But I don't think it really has. There are clouds that cast shadows that drift across the landscape, and Vykkers labs looks like an evil scientist's lab if he's making zany commercial products. I agree with connor that the humor is worse than the other games, and some of the puzzles are a little tedious, but, just out of curiosity, what did you find glitchy? I played through the game and didn't notice any big glitches (Except for abe being able to stand sideways). So I don't think Munch has lost the Oddworld soul, it's just changed. And remember this is the first (fully) 3D game OI has made, and it can only improve.
The glitches I noticed occur mainly after a restart from a quicksave; Munch won't take control of Snoozer in sloghut 2813 and after the door at end is opened Abe cannot switch to Munch and the quicksave and save to hard disk options dissappear from console. If you call tech support they give you a 900 number that costs $1.40/min and only gives game tips!

11-24-2001, 02:23 PM
Sl'askia
Outlaw Bomber

: No I am not telling you so :P
: 2,236
Sl'askia  (10)

EEP! I meant I just finished the Shrub Pen's level!
Oy...I just got to the first slog hut...I hope those glitched don't effect me...

My Site | My Board | My RolePlay

11-24-2001, 11:05 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

:
Originally posted by P O'conner:
Does any one else feel Munch has lost the oddworld soul? The graphics of the first two games were mesmerizing now I can't help but think this has become just another mass produced corporate disposable game. The puzzles are lame. The game is glitchy. The hummor is Beavis and Butthead.
Well, I have to wait until the stuupid summer time! I thought AE and AO was mad gravy because it was unusual and I live for oddness! The game was different. Munch has like a bar thingy like all the rest of the video games. Suuuuucccccckkkkkkyyyyy! I seen that like in the demo movies.

I haven't played the game yet, I will give you the truth on it, kay? .

But this is confusing, did you have any say on making the game at all?

11-24-2001, 11:07 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

Wait a minute...Your not P' O Conner! *faints*

11-25-2001, 12:13 AM
Jotch
Bolamite

: 62
Jotch  (10)

I personally think munch isnt totally perfect because of the switch from PS2 to XBOX, some of the basic code was changed just so Munch would work on xbox, no really really extensive time was put into making munch PERFECT.
11-25-2001, 02:56 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

:
Originally posted by P O'conner:
No I'm not paul sorry
then whats with the name?

11-25-2001, 03:58 AM
sodd
Bolamite

: May 2001
: ONtario
: 72
sodd  (10)

I haven't played it--I want to play it
but I'm not paying full price for something that some people consider so so

and something that has glitches in it..
I work damn hard for every penny I earn..

I adored the first two games..
But the humour has gone down hill....
Even in AE I could see the Oddworld train was going off track...
I could be wrong.. When I run into the money to buy me and XBOX.. I'll see for myself. Someone who has the game--tell us more about your impressions of it, please... in comparison to the Abe we used to know...

-|)/\\/||)-

11-25-2001, 04:51 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

I do not have MO, so my only comment is to mention that I was a little disappointed at the tacky humour of AE. I found the more serious 'epicness' of AO to be infinitely better. I can only hope that MO returns to the spirit of AO, rather than AE...

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

11-25-2001, 05:21 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

But who's to say what "Oddworld" is other than OWI??

11-26-2001, 12:17 AM
oddguy 999
Thudslug

: 182
oddguy 999  (10)

I agree that the problems of Oddworld are no laughing mater- After all they are a refection of the problems of Earth.
AO was better because the only hummor that was in it was when funny things where forced apon Abe, like hitting his head when he was in the meat barrel, or when we see things from our world on oddworld like the Slig lighting Molluk's cigar...
... I also really injoyed thoughs high pitched harmonics that made your inner ear reasernate just right so that your heart fluttered and you felt true sympathy for Abe's sittuation.
11-26-2001, 11:30 AM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

: Oct 2001
: West Goshen, PA, USA
: 504
Doug  (10)

:
Originally posted by Eibu:
I thought they didn't get any money from Sobe...it was only a deal for promotion.
This reminds me of a "man-on-the-street" interview I heard in which someone was asked about whether some big government project should be continued. He said that the project should continue but that he didn't want to be taxed to pay for it. He wanted the federal government to pay for it instead.

11-26-2001, 12:09 PM
Eibu
Howler Punk

Eibu  (10)

Sobe promotes Oddworld and helped out with that X-Box American Tour...

...in turn OWI supports Sobe and puts Sobe Energy Vendos in the game.

Deal.

of course it takes money to do these things but it's not like Sobe said "Look Lorne, here's some dough, now put our fscking vending machines in your game! MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA$$$$$

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Eibu ]

11-26-2001, 12:24 PM
Doug
Rabid Fuzzle

: West Goshen, PA, USA
: 504
Doug  (10)

:
Originally posted by Eibu:
Sobe promotes Oddworld [instead of $$$] and helped out [$$$] with that X-Box American Tour...

...in turn OWI supports Sobe [instead of $$$] and puts Sobe Energy Vendos in the game [worth $$$].

[$$$] Deal.

11-26-2001, 12:57 PM
moodokon man
Howler Punk

: South Africa
: 302
moodokon man  (10)

Ya remember that we are now in the worlderness of Mudoes and not in the huge factories and stuff!Things change guys and girls and If you cant (no offence but) GET THE FLUK OUT'A HERE!!!!!

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: moodokon man ]

11-26-2001, 01:06 PM
moodokon man
Howler Punk

: South Africa
: 302
moodokon man  (10)

Ho my odd I ust saw those screes from Oddworldians and the game has not lost any mystery or anything like tha lookin at those pics I rate you guys havent even started from the looks of things!!

11-26-2001, 01:21 PM
Conzumah
Stingbee

: Asheville, NC
: 86
Conzumah  (10)

in response to your thoughts rettick; MO does not return to the epic type humor found in AO, instead it strays much further from it than AE did. it is a bit disarming at first that OWI decided to use SO MUCH sophomoric humor in MO, but then you get used to it (or at least i did). its the ultra repetitive gameplay that's got me down. most of the puzzles stay true to one format. run as far as you can in the stage so as to get a look at what you have to do. kill as many of X as you can, collect Y, move objects R-W to point F, and progress to next level(used variables to not risk having this post called a spoiler post). imagine a few variations on this formula and you have the game in a nutshell. sure there are a few levels that are completely different, but they are few and far between and usually feel like they were just thrown together as filler. i really really wanted to love the hell out of this game, but the only reason i'm still playing it is in hopes that the latter levels will be hard to complete, because so far the game is VERY EASY. my 11 year old brother even thinks its easy. after playing the game i tend to agree with all of the reviews that call it a "so-so" game. my hopes are right now lying with ME, as Lorne has emphasized that the team was rushing to make MO a launch title. hopefully with ME, they will spend more production time with the gameplay, and less with graphics. yes the game is stunningly beautiful, but it's certainly not a game that hooks you in and doesn't let go.

Spiral out. Keep going...

11-26-2001, 01:47 PM
cheddar
Zappfly

: 1
cheddar  (10)

Sounds like most people that have actually PLAYED the game think it's fine, or more than fine! It's fun to speculate about games you havent played yet, but I wish people wouldnt judge the game too harshly until they have actually played the full version. I just hope that nobody is influenced against the game by all this negative speculation. I played it almost all the way through, and I think its really neat, just as cool as the originals, and in 3D to boot!
11-26-2001, 05:21 PM
Conzumah
Stingbee

: Asheville, NC
: 86
Conzumah  (10)

hey cheddar, i'm not speculating here. i own the game and have, in fact, actually PLAYED it.

Spiral out. Keep going...

11-26-2001, 08:31 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Adam, I don't mean to be stupid [or, for that matter, off-topic], but what does "sophomoric" mean?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

11-26-2001, 09:03 PM
Black Dragon
Riot Slug

: USA
: 574
Black Dragon  (10)

As I don't have the game, I can't really say. It seems ok from what I have heard and seen... *Shrugs*

Dan, Sophomoric means "Over-confident in yourself, opinionated, or immature." My teachers like to remind us what it means as the term for 10th graders in America is "Sophomore". *Groans* Stupid sophomore-name....

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Black Dragon ]

11-26-2001, 09:16 PM
sodd
Bolamite

: ONtario
: 72
sodd  (10)

Seriously--what must Lorne be trying to accomplish with this 'potty humour' trash he incorporates in an otherwise mystical, metaphorical, and rather ingeniusly designed world?

And why wouldn't he make use of Abe's wall climbing abilities that we saw in that ONE AE video, rather then have Abe or Munch ride or run on walls?
Now that is just... frig!
Such a piss off..
Is MO the Jar Jar Binks of Oddworld?
Trying to suck in the younger generation?

-|)/\\/||)-

11-26-2001, 10:09 PM
oddguy 999
Thudslug

: 182
oddguy 999  (10)

I haven't got the game since I live in Austraila, but from what I have seen and heard it dose seem directed towards the younger gamers.
Prehapse the gap between Abe's games and Munch's have been to great for Oddworld to maintain a lot of its original fans so they need to start from scratch again by building up from these younger gamers. As they grow in maturity (spelling?) the games that OWI makes should also grow...
... Unfortunatly this may mean that some of us original fans may be a few steps ahead of the hummor and mental chalenge of the puzzles. I hope I'm wrong though...