Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

02-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Shrykull43
Thudslug

: Feb 2015
: United States
: 169
Shrykull43  (60)

TBH I feel that if something isn't directed at you, you have no right to assume context and be offended by it. However if someone is directly insulting you then you have every right to be upset and say something about it. It kind of infuriates me when someone is "offended" by something that wasn't directed at or even involving them. That's what makes the fine line between harassment and being a whiny brat.

02-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

: Aug 2011
: 5,425
Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

"Harassment" isn't being insulted. It's being constantly insulted, or bullied, or stalked or whatever. Calling someone a wanker is not harassing them.

02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Shrykull43
Thudslug

Shrykull43  (60)

Agreed but calling a black person n****r is harassment because it's a personal attack on them. Calling someone a wanker is just expressing distaste with their attitude or whatnot. I guess what I'm trying to say is that intentionally attempting to hurt someone is the only thing that should be considered harassment. Like you said calling someone a wanker isn't you trying to hurt them simply bring attention to the fact that they're being an idiot.

02-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)Nepsotic  (3941)

I wouldn't say calling a black person a nigger is harassment, I'd say that's just being an arsehole.

02-28-2016, 04:36 PM
EVP_Glukkon
Boombat

: Aug 2009
: Australia
: 235
EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)EVP_Glukkon  (488)

Have to agree there. Harrassment is the repetitive action towards someone.

02-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

:
So fucking what? I wasn't speaking to them, they have no right to call me out on it.
But it was still said in a public space, and so free speech is in full effect. They have every right to reply to you.

Remember that just because something you say isn’t directed at a person, they can still hear it and can still be offended, upset, or just in disagreement of it. It’s their choice to make you aware of that just as much as it’s your choice to vocalize it in the first place.

And it’s fairly easy to come up with scenarios where what you say in public can have repercussions on the people around you. Consider the scenario of a man in a bar loudly talking about how horrible his day at work has been, with plenty of profanity mixed in to help illustrate. He may not be addressing anyone else around him except his friend, but other patrons can hear it and it’s putting them off their evening. In this case the people around him are no longer able to enjoy their evening, but also the bartender is in danger of losing patrons as this guy could irritate people enough that they leave.

There are plenty of other scenarios that you could come up with – someone making rape jokes in the vicinity of a rape survivor, for instance, or someone cracking jokes about immigrants in earshot of an immigrant.

:
I agree that just blocking out harassment isn't going to solve the root of the problem, but can you think of anything that would? It's the way people are and it will never stop happening, so ignoring it is always the best cause of action.
Likely harassment is always going to remain an issue in society, sure. That doesn’t mean that steps shouldn’t be taken to minimize it – to educate people on what constitutes harassment so they know what not to do, to call it out when it happens and try to show someone what they have done wrong, and for people who partake in it to face consequences. Ignoring it doesn’t solve the problem, it just moves the problem elsewhere.

:
Now on the forums, I speak my mind and I'm honest. When I call someone a name it's because I find it funny and it's not serious 99% of the time (unless I call them an idiot that's generally because they are being an idiot). If they get offended by that, I just don't care because I've got what I've wanted and I've had my laugh, and being offended serves no purpose.
But in that situation all you’ve done is antagonize someone for the sake of your own entertainment. Can’t you see how that’s a shitty situation for everyone else besides you?

:
If they are offended by actual opinions that I hold then again, I'm not going to coddle them because they can't handle it. It's their prerogative.
That’s fair enough, your opinions are yours and you have a right to them. But it’s worthwhile to acknowledge that there are ways of articulating and defending your opinions that can be both positive and negative, and it’s generally in your best interest to go the positive route for the reasons I’ve mentioned previously.

:
Being offended is the most useless thing a person can do. 8t advances no argument, makes no point and serves only to make them irrational and bring emotional arguments into the mix, which hold no water.
The state of being offended isn’t a conscious decision people take. There’s no option where someone says something to you and you get to sit back and think “did what they say offend me or not?”

You do have a decision in how you react, on whether you respond to the offence in some way. But that reaction is in part based on your emotional stake as well – if someone has just said something incredibly rude or upsetting to you, it can hit you in a way that prevents you from reacting rationally or from controlling your emotional response. And the more directed and antagonistic the comment is the more likely that will happen.

But if you are able to respond in a level, rational way – does brushing it off and ignoring it mean that the person will continue to act that way, will they say other offensive things to you or to others? If they then think you didn’t have an issue then they might even go on to say something worse. They might go on to repeat it to someone else who doesn’t have the same tolerance as you. Is it not then better to point out to them that you have an issue with something they said, as an opportunity to try and let them understand why what they said is problematic and so avoid future upset?

:
I wouldn't say calling a black person a nigger is harassment, I'd say that's just being an arsehole.
It can also be considered racial discrimination depending on the circumstances, which is something that often isn’t covered by free speech.

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)

02-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Shrykull43
Thudslug

Shrykull43  (60)

:
It can also be considered racial discrimination depending on the circumstances, which is something that often isn’t covered by free speech.
Actually in the US it is covered by free speech as long as it doesn't affect their ability to get a job, house, etc.

Last edited by Shrykull43; 02-29-2016 at 11:26 AM.. : i cun't spill
03-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
People never really did me any favours in life in the first place, so under no circumstances will I go out of my way to avoid offending somebody.
This isn't about going out of your way to avoid offending somebody. This is about you not going out of your way to intentionally offend someone.

:
As for your second point, if you're being legitimately harassed irl then you go to the police
So you're saying that there should be laws in place that the police can use to prosecute someone for harassment? You're in favour of limitations on freedom of speech?

03-01-2016, 12:51 AM
enchilado
I don't even know!

: Nov 2009
: Brisbane, Australia
: 2,749
enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

I guess the key word there is "irl". I actually really dislike that term because of the way it perpetuates this idea that the internet isn't real life and nothing said or done on it can affect anyone.
03-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

:
Actually it's just the being arrested part. Being physically harmed for being a dick to someone is something I'm completely in favor of.
REALLLLLLLY??

Better put on your hard hat then.
03-03-2016, 01:21 AM
Xorlidyr
Spark Stunk

: Mar 2016
: Munich, Germany
: 395
Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)Xorlidyr  (541)

Freedom of speech should be maintained.

The recipient of the statement should be able to ignore it and does not have any lawful reason to sue the speaker.

The law should not be biased depending on the feelings of the judged.

In case someone physically harms another due to the things that the other said, the subject is guilty of harming the other.

This is what we studied at our law lessons. In German, though, so the terms I used here might be imprecise.

Last edited by Xorlidyr; 03-03-2016 at 01:24 AM..
03-03-2016, 03:32 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

Except slander and libel.
03-03-2016, 04:32 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I read some of these responses, not all.

:
"under the proviso that I ignore the childish supposition that restricting freedom of speech is called for by autistic people, and that that is even some sort of insult. I don't really know what Jacob was going for but I'm sure it's just unpleasant."
I was just throwing it out there that I've noticed that many of those who I've had discussions/debates with on social media have been on the spectrum somewhere. I'm vaguely aware that those with Ass Burgers can take things literally...so maybe it is a case of them getting crossed wires and being all "WAIT, BUT...WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD AND WHY THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE LAUGHING??"

Re: the topic -

I'm all for people saying whatever they want, so long as it stops at incitement to violence. I'm also all for people challenging views they dislike, so long as the Govt doesn't get involved or violence in anyway. Though, if the latter does happen - a certain responsibility falls on the person who's the cause. You can call that "blaming the victim", I guess, but it is still relevant.

When the recent attacks in Paris happened straight away I made a joke. Straight away I mocked folk who were using the attacks to bring attention to themselves. I got death threats and threats of violence in my inbox on FB...but, it's kinda expected. And if something did happen to me...then, okay. That's partly my fault. The perpetrators are still totally in the wrong and shouldn't be condoned...but I can accept my role in the whole...thing.

Re: comedy -

When a comic gets on stage you HAVE to believe nothing he says is true. He's saying things that may or may not be funny to make you laugh, or at least try to. Joe Rogan does a bit where he says just that. Now, will the comedian's story upset or offend you? Maybe. But you then want what to happen?

You want someone to punch someone for telling a story? You want someone to be arrested for that?

Crazy.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Jacob; 03-03-2016 at 04:34 AM.. : The Jews told me to.
03-03-2016, 09:42 PM
enchilado
I don't even know!

enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)enchilado  (3478)

I don't know whether you even read what I said about saying things against comedians but just for the record I was referring to conversations with other people about them. Heckling them because of it is just shitty and annoying.
03-04-2016, 03:26 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
I was just throwing it out there that I've noticed that many of those who I've had discussions/debates with on social media have been on the spectrum somewhere.
How many of them have actually been diagnosed by a psychiatrist, and how many are idiots on the internet who want to be magical diamonds in the rough?

:
When a comic gets on stage you HAVE to believe nothing he says is true. He's saying things that may or may not be funny to make you laugh, or at least try to. Joe Rogan does a bit where he says just that. Now, will the comedian's story upset or offend you? Maybe. But you then want what to happen?
Going to a comedy show is a social contract. And, frankly, you usually know what you're getting yourself in for when you bought the ticket. That's different to a socially maladjusted nutbag who insults someone for his own amusement, then tries to say it's justified because he's 'only joking'.

Frankly, as I've said elsewhere on the forums, if you believe in freedom of speech, you believe in freedom of speech. Humour doesn't change the acceptability or offensiveness of speech in any way.

03-04-2016, 03:59 AM
enchilado
I don't even know!

http://www.clickhole.com/article/hug...bullied-y-3979
03-05-2016, 04:07 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I don't know the relevance to stand-up but Kevin's parents failed.

The end.

People are going to be shitty. Especially kids. So you either PREPARE your child for that. Or you protect them from it.

Some people just shouldn't have children.

Whoa, sudden rush of Déj* vu there. Weird.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

03-05-2016, 04:24 AM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

: Oct 2014
: 687
FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)

:
I don't know the relevance to stand-up but Kevin's parents failed.

The end.

People are going to be shitty. Especially kids. So you either PREPARE your child for that. Or you protect them from it.

Some people just shouldn't have children.

Whoa, sudden rush of Déj* vu there. Weird.
That article is satire. It's making fun of people who think "don't worry brah it's just a prank" automatically rids you of blame.

People are going to be shitty. That doesn't mean you should just take accept their shittiness and just sit there and take their bullying. And victim blaming is especially bad.

03-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
And victim blaming is especially bad.
Time to pop out the buzzwords.

03-05-2016, 04:41 AM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)FrustratedAssassin  (607)

:
Time to pop out the buzzwords.
Fun fact I only did that because I knew someone would notice my post faster this way. It doesn't even make sense with the rest of my post.

The rest of the post still stands though, and even the last sentence is true, if in a stand-alone kind of way.

Last edited by FrustratedAssassin; 03-05-2016 at 04:44 AM..
03-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Phylum
No Artificial Colours

: Sep 2008
: Rock bottom
: 4,911
Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)Phylum  (5748)

See Nep you played right into her hands. Bam.

Pow.

I bet FA is great at chess.
03-05-2016, 05:14 AM
Vlam
Outlaw Cutter

: Aug 2003
: ARG
: 1,239
Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)Vlam  (794)

The best chess players are male.
03-05-2016, 05:29 AM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

Because a lot more men play chess professionally.

03-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Holy Sock
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2010
: Northern Ireland
: 1,317
Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)Holy Sock  (859)

03-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

:
Because a lot more men play chess professionally.
That's because in general men have a better mind for strategy.
:
Fun fact I only did that because I knew someone would notice my post faster this way. It doesn't even make sense with the rest of my post.
Is this what you do with all your posts?

03-05-2016, 06:53 AM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

:
That's because in general men have a better mind for strategy.
Please tell me you don't actually believe that.

03-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Fun fact: I only said that so you'd notice my post faster.

03-05-2016, 07:11 AM
FrustratedAssassin
Sleg

Well I mean I actually believed what I said even if I did it for a stupid reason, but I honesty don't know whether you believe that or not.

03-05-2016, 07:37 AM
Nepsotic
8===========D~

Nah I don't, women are way more manipulative than men.

03-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Manco
Posts walls of text

: Aug 2007
: based damage system
: 4,751
Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)Manco  (14074)

Yeah, those bitches, manipulating men and been’ all evil and stuff

twitter (stream of thoughts)
steam (games i never play)