Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Off-Topic Discussion

06-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Flamefox
Stunk

: Jun 2007
: Werewolf swamp
: 46
Flamefox  (9)
Wired Petrol: What will happen when its gone?

Yes, what will happen? Will people go mad and attack each other? Will we turn to different fuels? Will we try to be more environmentally friendly and go back to cave ways?? What do you think will happen?

06-30-2007, 03:57 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

The Great Depression squared.

ASSUMING society doesn't bite the bullet soon and work for a better future.
06-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Fortesque13
Howler Punk

: Mar 2007
: Croatia
: 322
Fortesque13  (10)

The car production will go back to the sketchbook and later on coal will be used as fuel...

Yes, I'm back... Yes, you'll all soon be licking my boots...

06-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Albino-Slig
Chippunk

: The Slig Barracks, Mudos
: 31
Albino-Slig  (10)

Bio fuels and hybrids i guess... we got a good 400 years worth of oil left... I think...

Plenty of other sources, electricty and the like but its unlikely to happen until oil has totaly run out with the way the oil and car markets are run. Everytime an electric car is introduced its killed off by the oil companies or its simply not up to scratch and not bought by the consumer.

Personaly... Mad Max world!! mad people in cars and armoured fuel tankers!!!!!!!
06-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

New fuel is already available. It has been for years but since it would mean big trouble for the oil industry and thus for the biggest part of the worlds economy, governments everywhere are trying to pospone the use of those fuels as long as they posibly can. When oil does finaly run out, new sources will automaticaly be used. No problems anywhere... except that we won't have anymore plastic. That might be a problem.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

06-30-2007, 11:20 PM
looney-bin
Bola Blast

: Apr 2006
: Home
: 421
looney-bin  (76)

:
The car production will go back to the sketchbook and later on coal will be used as fuel...
That coal is for preservation railways only. Cars can just become electric or use an alternative fuel.

07-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Zozo the Zrilufet
Outlaw Cutter

: Oct 2006
: Scotland, Aberdeen
: 1,041
Zozo the Zrilufet  (34)

We'll all go nuts.
I am a man. Do not call me otherwise, or you are doing it wrong. Times correctly guessed as a man: Patrick: 1, Mitsur: 1, Daxter king: 1, OANST: More than once, Nemo: 1, alf's brother's mate: 1, Nate: 1, Anonyman!: 1. The assumption everyone is male probably comes from the fact 90% of characters in Oddworld are male. The editpenis<a href=http://www.oddworldforums.net/signaturepics/sigpic4236_3.gif target=_blank>http://www.oddworldforums.net/signat...gpic4236_3.gif</a>

07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
mitsur
Corporate Espionage

: May 2001
: ಠ_ಠ
: 2,060
mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)

We'll be forced into using electricity if the government is smart and there isn't another decent fuel source at the time.

If the government is stupid, we'll end up using ethanol made from corn.

Wrex.

07-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Zerox
Outlaw Mortar

: May 2006
: Um...RealWorld?
: 1,943
Zerox  (154)Zerox  (154)

I reckon nowadays we could make cars that run on C02 easy, but is it going to happen? Hell no. Oil companies bribe or probably actually kill off (seriously, I mean that) those people who try to invent cars like this and put them on the market. All because of money, one of the roots of all evil. Well, not exactly. Humanity is the root of all evil. It created money in the first place. Destroy humanity, destroy money.

...wait.

One thing I really don't understand is the fact that the oil companies don't switch from oil to these green fuels. Surely they would still make loads of mnoey out of selling those types of cars? I don't quite understand what the problem there is.
07-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: England
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

:
One thing I really don't understand is the fact that the oil companies don't switch from oil to these green fuels. Surely they would still make loads of mnoey out of selling those types of cars? I don't quite understand what the problem there is.
Because green fuels bollocks up your car and cost more to refit new cars than they would make otu of selling. Plus they still cause some environmental problems.

And we've got plenty of oil left. If we access the reserves in Serbia there's oil resources there to last us 800 years. And don't say I'm wrong- my father works high up in an oil company, so I know this for fact.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

07-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Hobo
Honorary Smod
Chronically Awesome

: Feb 2003
: London
: 6,741
Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)Hobo  (3434)

I'll sell my car?
07-01-2007, 01:47 PM
LadySlig
Fuzzle

: Apr 2007
: In a dishwasher
: 120
LadySlig  (10)

we will go mad, and turn back to cavemen style. We will eat the goverment members and set fire to the cities. As you do.
Every sorrow to forget."

07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

: Apr 2002
: Seattle (woo!)
: 16,311
Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

:
And we've got plenty of oil left. If we access the reserves in Serbia there's oil resources there to last us 800 years. And don't say I'm wrong- my father works high up in an oil company, so I know this for fact.
There are oil reserves that will last us a long time. The problem is that they'll last a long time because they're such low quality that it will take too long and cost too much to refine that no company will be bothered to deal with it.

Here's another point that people tend to forget; many other chemicals are produced as a byproduct of oil mining. Without oil, we won't have any plastics. Imagine how that's going to affect your life!

07-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Fortesque13
Howler Punk

Fortesque13  (10)

OMG, no computers, no toilet seats, no other forms plastic goodness!

Anyways, to keep on topic, people will find some other sort of fuel. If nothing, we'll use electric cars and the gas stations will be some big battery rechargers.

Bad guys always last long... and so will humans.

07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Gabiar
Fuzzle

: Peterborough, UK
: 129
Gabiar  (22)

I'll make my own oil. Give me a few days and i should have Nepal's supply up and running for starters.

Seriously, I'd go nuts. Forget the crops, grow fuel!!

07-02-2007, 02:56 AM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

: Beneath the sink
: 1,157
skillyaslig  (124)skillyaslig  (124)

Wasnt this about Petrol, not oil??? Or are they the same?? Hmmm...anywho, I think WW3 would start and then too many nukes would be set off and we'll all die

07-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)Nate  (13497)

Petrol comes from oil...

The Count of Monte Cristo!

07-02-2007, 07:17 AM
OddjobAbe
National Treasure

: Feb 2007
: 3,121
OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)OddjobAbe  (5874)

I think there may be a war. The American government do not use their brains - look at the war in Iraq - George Bush and Tony Blair attacked that country to steal oil. They are war criminals. Hopefully, George Bush will be dead in the space of around 400 years, though. Same with Blair and Brown. Hopefully, political parties will be more sophisticated in the future. I still think there will be a war, but hopefully, they'll just revert to alternate fuels. There will be a massive problem for the plastic industry, though. This would result in a problem in every day life. look at all the things we use that require plastic - plastic is even wasted to make people look different! People view the future as being a lot more advanced. I think it will become even less advanced than the Medieval times.

Oh, Nate, I liked the Count of Monty Cristo movie.

07-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Munch's Master
Outlaw Mortar

: Mar 2005
: 1,815
Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)Munch's Master  (745)

:
There are oil reserves that will last us a long time. The problem is that they'll last a long time because they're such low quality that it will take too long and cost too much to refine that no company will be bothered to deal with it.

Here's another point that people tend to forget; many other chemicals are produced as a byproduct of oil mining. Without oil, we won't have any plastics. Imagine how that's going to affect your life!
Not all of them are low quality, but I do take your point. And I had totally forgotten the plastic thing. Plastic is just one of those things you take for granted, I guess.

Fuzzle Guy: Apart from going swimming I've never been more wet in my life than when I went to see Take That.

07-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

We won't survive, because the infrastructure necessary to cope with an oil-less world is highly unlikely to exist if current attitudes continue, and we will only be able to prepare for that world while we have an energy source available at the time.

When I say "we", I mean western, particularly urban, civilisation. Yes, we lived for the whole of human history up until the industrial revolution without fossil fuels, but we also knew how to. Most of us have forgotten the skills and techniques of farming, building and living in pre-industrial communities, and even those who are involved in agriculture do so on a massive scale, designed to feed millions and dependent upon so many others, and indeed, oil. The fertilisers that increase our yields enough to support our population, and the pesticides that preserve those yields: their production is enabled only by the energy we get from fossil fuels.

The best-case scenario of this worst-case scenario is that only those of whom industrialisation never reached, and those who flee to them, will survive. The aboriginal tribes who maintain their culture in the farthest corners of the globe, and remote villages in places such as Nepal and South America, these are the people who can feed themselves without the infrastructure powered by fossil fuels that we here depend on.

Of course, we can avoid most of this by beginning the switch to renewable resources now. The technology we have right now cannot feasibly achieve what we need, but we must not give up the research that may one day do so. Hopefully we will be able to become independent of fossil fuels before they run out, so what is left can be preserved for recreational pursuits, such as operating vintage vehicles. But we do have to do this now- we cannot build wind turbines without the energy to mine the ore, refine the metals, smelt the allows, produce the components, assemble the device, lay the cables between the turbines and the transformers, and of course, transport all the pieces around at each stage.

We have to act now because consumption is increasing exponentially, and the last oil shock will come as more of a shock than it would otherwise. It took over 150 years to consume our first trillion barrels of oil. It will take less than 30 to consume the second.

07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Fortesque13
Howler Punk

Fortesque13  (10)

:
Petrol comes from oil...

The Count of Monte Cristo!
Don't do that again...
It's starting to get on my nerves...

07-02-2007, 02:20 PM
speed the scrab
Fuzzle

: Raccoon city
: 113
speed the scrab  (14)

I heard on the news that macdonalds are going to try using a biofuel made from recycled chip pan grease.

will shoot spammers on sight!

07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Nate
Oddworld Administrator
Rainbow of Flavour

:
Don't do that again...
It's starting to get on my nerves...
Do what? Make obscure insults that no-one gets in a small font that no-one can read?

I'm really just operating for my own personal entertainment...

07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Fortesque13
Howler Punk

Fortesque13  (10)

:
Do what? Make obscure insults that no-one gets in a small font that no-one can read?

I'm really just operating for my own personal entertainment...

You just think about yourself...

:
I heard on the news that macdonalds are going to try using a biofuel made from recycled chip pan grease.
Grease fuel? Well, at least some use of those bastards making us fat (especially me) with their SPEW.

Last edited by Fortesque13; 07-02-2007 at 05:44 PM..
07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Flamefox
Stunk

: Werewolf swamp
: 46
Flamefox  (9)

:
We won't survive, because the infrastructure necessary to cope with an oil-less world is highly unlikely to exist if current attitudes continue, and we will only be able to prepare for that world while we have an energy source available at the time.

When I say "we", I mean western, particularly urban, civilisation. Yes, we lived for the whole of human history up until the industrial revolution without fossil fuels, but we also knew how to. Most of us have forgotten the skills and techniques of farming, building and living in pre-industrial communities, and even those who are involved in agriculture do so on a massive scale, designed to feed millions and dependent upon so many others, and indeed, oil. The fertilisers that increase our yields enough to support our population, and the pesticides that preserve those yields: their production is enabled only by the energy we get from fossil fuels.

The best-case scenario of this worst-case scenario is that only those of whom industrialisation never reached, and those who flee to them, will survive. The aboriginal tribes who maintain their culture in the farthest corners of the globe, and remote villages in places such as Nepal and South America, these are the people who can feed themselves without the infrastructure powered by fossil fuels that we here depend on.

Of course, we can avoid most of this by beginning the switch to renewable resources now. The technology we have right now cannot feasibly achieve what we need, but we must not give up the research that may one day do so. Hopefully we will be able to become independent of fossil fuels before they run out, so what is left can be preserved for recreational pursuits, such as operating vintage vehicles. But we do have to do this now- we cannot build wind turbines without the energy to mine the ore, refine the metals, smelt the allows, produce the components, assemble the device, lay the cables between the turbines and the transformers, and of course, transport all the pieces around at each stage.

We have to act now because consumption is increasing exponentially, and the last oil shock will come as more of a shock than it would otherwise. It took over 150 years to consume our first trillion barrels of oil. It will take less than 30 to consume the second.
Damn, what the hell is your IQ? Make me seem like a total retard...Anyway, we will have wars over the oil, bomb each other, then turn into mutants. Kewl as custard.

07-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Dracula’s Ex
Stunk

: May 2007
: Transylvania
: 44
Dracula’s Ex  (10)

Panic, and whatnot. We'll do that for a bit, fight, then calm down and search for a new source of fuel.

07-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Bullet Magnet
Bayesian Empirimancer

: Greatish Britain
: 7,724
Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)Bullet Magnet  (8784)

Which will be spectacularly hard to do without the fuel to do it.

What I am concerned about is that one way or another, our civilisation will fall, be it from the last oil shock, environmental change, a new disease, galactic conquest or what have you. Even if this is the one that will last, it will not do so forever- I don't think anyone can believe that it could. The problem is that no future civilisation can possibly grow to our technological level and revive science and everything again without an industrial revolution, and there cannot be another industrial revolution without fossil fuels. And there will be no fossil fuels if we use them all up in this civilisation.

07-03-2007, 08:48 AM
mitsur
Corporate Espionage

: May 2001
: ಠ_ಠ
: 2,060
mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)mitsur  (452)

Which is why we put most of our money into space exploration/research so we can just move to another planet that has (at least) close to the resources avaliable on Earth.

Of course, that might have no chance of happening, but that's probably our best bet if we don't start using renewable resources.

Wrex.

07-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Mojo
Wired Forever!

: Dec 2001
: I'm everywhere...
: 2,258
Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)Mojo  (224)

:
We'll be forced into using electricity if the government is smart and there isn't another decent fuel source at the time.

If the government is stupid, we'll end up using ethanol made from corn.
Electricity? What do you think generates this electricity? It doesn't just "happen". Sure, there's solar and wind energy, but that doesn't generate alot of electricity. Nowadays, electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels. So no fossil fuels = no electricity! 0_o Or a lot less, anyways...

I think we'll be heading towards nuclear (splicing) and hydrogen energy. And maybe later nuclear fusion (a.k.a. Cold Fusion)
- And you're still a dick.

Last edited by Mojo; 07-03-2007 at 09:41 AM..
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
skillyaslig
Outlaw Cutter

: Beneath the sink
: 1,157
skillyaslig  (124)skillyaslig  (124)

Hmm, no idea what you fellas are writing, as im dense at times. Eh, I think there'll be panic, and threats made, then someone will do something stupid.