: 6.

08-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I don't see why God couldn't be some kind of Monkey...

Like on Southpark...which was quite amusing albeit blasphemous...but still.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

08-09-2003, 05:16 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

: Jun 2003
: California
: 1,188
GrigtheSlig  (23)

Jacob's post was short! Congadulations! That was the shortest post i'd ever seen from you!

Anyway, I don't think that GOD is a monkey, cause like oddguy said, he made us in HIS image. I personaly don't believe in evolution.

08-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Big_Bro_Slig222
Spark Stunk

: Oct 2002
: The Blasted Wastes
: 394
Big_Bro_Slig222  (10)

God is an omnipotent being, therefore he has no form. He doesn't need one.

08-09-2003, 07:40 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

: Montana
: 4,086
oddguy  (10)

How could He make us in His image if He has no form? I don't think God is some floating mist that lives in a clowd. I think He has form and His mind is omnipotent.

08-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

What about Demons? I'm intrigued by how the people who wrote the scriptures and described the Demons actually came about meeting/seeing them.

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

08-09-2003, 09:24 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

I'm not completly sure what the deal is with Demons, but I think they exist.

08-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Just out of interest and in referrence to "Gods big plan with Adam and Eve" and all. If Gods big plan was to create more humans then wouldn't it also to be to create Demons? As Adam and Lilith bore offspring who were Shedim...described as Bulls with wings.

08-10-2003, 01:39 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)

Ok first of all a lot of you have this really warped. Gods big plan is not to just create more humans. That sounds so plain and so un God like. Gods big plan for us is something deeper and infantively more special than anything we could possibly imagine here on earth. God gave us the gift of life he created us in his image through his love. And man has turned from that gift but the Lord loves us and saved all of us through the Cross. The true meaning behind Gods big plan is complex so complex that a part of it is seeing him in heven.

Demons are the Fallen angels.

08-10-2003, 05:14 AM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

Yeah, demons are fallen angels! I forgot what to call them!

08-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

:
I thought by need you ment that when a species climate changes the species will suddenly need to change and thus mutations will occur specifically so that the species could survive better. You didn't exactly make yourself clear.
Where did I not make myself clear? I said "If you studied evolution to the depths you've claimed to, you'd understand that a species will only evolve when there is a need to. A species perfectly adapted to their environment will not change." I only said that bacteria are known to be a very mutative group of organisms, mutation of course, being only one component of the proccess of evolution.

:
Also, the majority of what I know about evolution comes mainly from my biology teachers at school, so the teachers we must have different opinions on evolution if we can't even agree on what evolution is. Funny, if evolution was a fact like we are supposed to believe, you would think all the scientists would be in agreement on the basics of the theory.
I thought we'd agreed on the biological mechanism that drives evolution? At least, you haven't adequately responded to what I've explained so I'd assume we're in agreement. If your teachers are telling you that evolution is not directed by the need to conform to environmental factors, then your teachers are hardly qualified to be teaching it. There are no disagreements on the basics of evolution among biologists. You must be assuming that because of your misunderstanding of what evolution is, the scientific community misunderstands it, too.

:
Yes there is a big difference between a species adapting and a species becoming a completely new species. A bird, become a new version of the same bird, is still a bird. A bacteria adapting to antibiotics, isn't even becoming a new species. Minor adaptation, which is NOT evolution in the sense I am using the word, occurs within specieal boundries. The species may begin to express traits it never required before, but it is still the same species. Evolution on a major scale is much different. It requires, over a long period of time, every single living thing on the entire planet to have evolved from one tiny cell that supposedly formed itself. There is a big difference between the two.

In micro-adaptation, species are becoming variants of the same species because one population requires different traits to survive than another population. In evolution, species mutate and thus create entirely new traits, which eventually cause the species to eventually develope into a completely new type of animal.
You haven't answered my question. If, as suggested in your later post, you agree that taxonomy is vague and unreliable, then where exactly is the line that stops speciation from occuring? You've basically said you agree that animals can adapt, but you refuse to accept that over time a new species can develop. Where is the line that prevents this from happening? It works through the same process and there are no genetic parameters that determine how much a group of organisms can change. What evidence do you have that says adaption, over time, can't lead to a new species? There have been some examples of speciation observed both in the lab and in the wild, which you can read about here. And here is an extract:

"Three species of wildflowers called goatsbeards were introduced to the United States from Europe shortly after the turn of the century. Within a few decades their populations expanded and began to encounter one another in the American West. Whenever mixed populations occurred, the specied interbred (hybridizing) producing sterile hybrid offspring. Suddenly, in the late forties two new species of goatsbeard appeared near Pullman, Washington. Although the new species were similar in appearance to the hybrids, they produced fertile offspring. The evolutionary process had created a separate species that could reproduce but not mate with the goatsbeard plants from which it had evolved."

:
I think it is very annoying that you that you must insult my intelligence just because you disagree with me. Why can't you just show me where I am scientifically wrong? You haven't done that yet.
Yes, I have. My previous post highlighted your misconceptions on evolutionary theory.

:
I disagree, since my understanding of science tells me that is impossible. We won't get anywhere to continue arguing about this part of evolution. So let's move on to other evidences, and forget about whether or not there is a biological mechansim by which it occurs.
You haven't used any scientific evidence showing that evolution is impossible, you've merely said repeatedly that you don't believe in it because you think it's impossible for it to work. No explanations of why, and no science.

:
I pretty much agree with you Max. Since taxonomy is more of a convenience than a science, arguing over the species is pointless, which is one of the reasons I moved the debate away from that subject.
Are you sure it wasn't because you realised you were losing the debate?

:
There is a lot to the fossil record, but I'll wait until someone else brings something up.
I'll start with this:

(A) Ornitholestes, a theropod dinosaur
(B) Archaeopteryx
(C) Sinornis, an archaic bird from the lower Cretaceous
(D) the wing of a modern chicken

What does this kind of continuity suggest if not the chronological progression of intermediate forms? Why do fossils show that chickens didn't exist in the time of Ornitholests, Archaeopteryx, or Sinornis? The fossil records show a progression of change. As for the human footprints alongside dino prints: Click.

08-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Big_Bro_Slig222
Spark Stunk

: Oct 2002
: The Blasted Wastes
: 394
Big_Bro_Slig222  (10)

:
Originally posted by TheKhanzumer

Can't mate or won't mate? Lions and tigers are two very different species. They live in different areas, look different and have different behaviors. But people have artificially breed lions and tigers together. Their offspring, ligers, are not always infertile. Many ligers can still mate with both lions and tigers, or even other ligers. But does this make lions and tigers the same species. According to the current definition of the word species they apparently are, since they can successfully reproduce.

They are in the same genus. Meaning, they both evolved from a similar animal, so naturally there DNA is similar. Therfore they could be artifiucially bred. The Liger probably has some mutations, witch may more may not be visible. If a lion and a tiger mated, hypathettically speaking in the wild, and had a cub, it probably wouldn't last out there. But,lets say they keep having kids. After a while, perhaps one gets an immunity to some disease that they kept dying from. Thats adaptation right there. If these animals lived on for quite some time, they would eventually evolve into a new species.

08-10-2003, 01:51 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

When did they start making Ligers? Or is this hypathetical?

08-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

:
Ok first of all a lot of you have this really warped. Gods big plan is not to just create more humans. That sounds so plain and so un God like. Gods big plan for us is something deeper and infantively more special than anything we could possibly imagine here on earth. God gave us the gift of life he created us in his image through his love. And man has turned from that gift but the Lord loves us and saved all of us through the Cross. The true meaning behind Gods big plan is complex so complex that a part of it is seeing him in heven.
Ok. So, in that case, why is it a sin for Homosexuality to be abound? If Gods plan wasn't to create more humans, then why is he saying Homosexuals are sinners and go against his will?

:
Demons are the Fallen angels.
No, Angels who turned away from Gods light are the Fallen Angels. There are other Demons that have no affiliation with God and reside in Hell and other otherworldly planes of existance.

But PA, why did God create the Shedim?

You also never answered my question in the extinction thread.

Oh and OANST were you capable of fuelling your drug-addiction? As in, were you working or did you have enough money to purchase them?

08-10-2003, 04:05 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

Jacob, who is Shedim?

08-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

The Shedim are Demons who are said to be like Bulls with wings. There origins are random, yet some texts claim they are the offspring of Lilith and Adam when Lilith slept with Adam.

08-10-2003, 05:19 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

Ok, who is Lilith?

08-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

Lilith, in Jewish tradition, was created with Adam from the dust of the Earth and became his first wife. She was stubborn, though, & refused to be subservient to her husband. Instead of becoming Adam's servant, she left him & was turned out of Paradise. However, before God created Eve, He sent 3 angels to try to convince Lilith to return to Adam. She refused, & God cursed her by sentencing 100 of her offspring to die each day. After her expulsion from Paradise, however, she slept once more with Adam, & bore the Shedim, Lilin, & Rauchin.

08-10-2003, 07:56 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

Ummmmmm..........I'm not Jewish, and I don't think Jacob is either.

08-10-2003, 07:59 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

I'm not Jewish either, so what's up with this Jacob? I didn't know you were jewish!

08-10-2003, 08:41 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

: Apr 2002
: Nearish to Seattle, Washington
: 1,048
TheKhanzumer  (15)

Ligers are real and usually are part of a circus or are a curiosity at a zoo.

:
where exactly is the line that stops speciation from occuring?What evidence do you have that says adaption, over time, can't lead to a new species?
An evolutionist would say that there is no line right? I say that the line depends on the situation. A worm does not carry the genes for feathers. This means that a worm could never become a bird, no matter what. Which evolution would require, even if not directly. No matter what a worm could become, it doesn't carry genetically whatever would make a bird.

I know you are going to say that I don't understand evolution. I KNOW that evolutionists are saying that worms have magically become birds. Worms became early vertebrates, became fish, became early reptiles, eventually became birds. No matter how much the intermediate stages make since, how obvious a slow progression may be, the results are still the same. The worm, is somehow becoming a bird. No matter what path it takes, evolutions believe that it is possible. HOW? I might not have given you any scientific evidence, but neither can an evolutionist. You haven't given any sceintific evidence either. Science does not show that it is possible. Evolution requires faith in the unknown. It cannot be tested.

:
What does this kind of continuity suggest if not the chronological progression of intermediate forms?
It could easily suggest that all the creatures were created by the same person (God), who used the same basic guidlines in the skeletal structure. That is what it suggests to me. Like I said, it is all in the interpretation of the facts. You choose to believe that your example is evidence of evolution, but it is not any any more scientifically factual than my arguments.

Similarities between parts of different animals is not PROOF that evolution has occured. I might suggest, but it is not a testable scientific fact. Evolution is NOT science, it is a belief. And since there is no real science to evolution, it is hard to scientifically argue with it, especially since your only response to all my evidence is "You don't understand evolution. You are wrong because I say you are confused."

I'm tired of arguing with you, since I know you aren't really listening to me. You already made it clear you don't think I know what I'm talking about. Why should I continue this discussion?

If anyone really cares to learn more of what I have to say (read: if you agree with me and are willing to listen to evidences of an alternative to evolution) please PM. I really do have a lot of good information, if you are open minded. Hopefully some of you understand that what I am saying is true, even if Sydney thinks I'm just stupid.
http://216.101.14.114:81/oddworlduni...ekhanzumer.gif
YOU SHOULD STILL VOTE FOR KHANZ!

Last edited by TheKhanzumer; 08-10-2003 at 12:45 PM..
08-10-2003, 08:53 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

OK, I was confused on that one! But now I'm better!

08-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I'm not Jewish, i was explaining to you who Lilith was. Jewish tradition follows the same story of the Bible what with Adam and Eve and such, so, since you believe the Bible is true, that must mean it comes from the same source, which in turn means that Lilith did have intercourse with Adam and did spawn Demons...

08-10-2003, 09:32 PM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

But it doesn't say that in the BIBLE, so I don't know about it, it might be true, but i really doubt it!

08-10-2003, 10:52 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

:
But it doesn't say that in the BIBLE, so I don't know about it, it might be true, but i really doubt it!
I shall explain slowly.

You think the Bible is true.
The referrence of Adam and Eve came from the Bible.
The referrence of Lilith and Adam came from some Jewish thing.
Jewish things and your belief state the same story and originate from the same place.
Therefore, since you believe the Bible, you must also believe all other scriptures linked with the Bible which include God allowing Lilith to create Demons.

So why did God create Demons?

Also, i'm finding it annoying that PA didn't answer my amazing, thooperlicious statement.

08-10-2003, 10:53 PM
oddguy
OWF MVP

oddguy  (10)

:
Originally posted by Jacob
I'm not Jewish, i was explaining to you who Lilith was. Jewish tradition follows the same story of the Bible what with Adam and Eve and such, so, since you believe the Bible is true, that must mean it comes from the same source, which in turn means that Lilith did have intercourse with Adam and did spawn Demons...
So, if you believe in Lilith, you must believe in the Bible. I highly doubt you believe the Bible is true, so Christians aren't expected to believe in Lilith either.

08-11-2003, 12:14 AM
GrigtheSlig
Outlaw Cutter

GrigtheSlig  (23)

I don't understand what your trying to get at Jacob.

08-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Wil
Oddworld Administrator
Oddworld Inhabitant

: Apr 2001
: UK
: 13,534
Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)Wil  (9443)

Looks like this needs a slightly different perspective. Okay:

You believe in the Bible, you follow it, study it, live by it. The Bible isn't just a book created out of nowhere, it has a start, and origin. It is, in fact, lots of scriptures, all written a long time ago, the most recent being roughly a couple of millennia back. There are scriptures, though, that are not in the Bible, even though they have the same source of the scriptures that made it into the Bible. What Jacob is trying to say is that if you believe in what the Bible says now, even after so much tampering from humans, you must surely believe all the scriptures that have exactly the same source as those in the good book.

Khanz, don't get put off. Traditionally, such debate has always been at the heart of the Oddworld Forums, and with the return of Pinky and the...well, with Grig, it's just been brought up again. This is probably one of the most peaceful such topics I've seen here.

As for scientific evidence and what not, I can see plenty of that in what Sydney had described - mutations and other changes in creatures becoming more successful because of a great chance of breeding. You keep saying science can't support evolution, yet I haven't seen you highlight any plotholes with the theory yet, save your gene one, which I can't possibly comment on because of no knowledge on the subject.

08-11-2003, 01:48 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)
Happy

I know... I just got a little annoyed with him constantly saying I was confused. I do know what I'm talking about, and even though I type in an unorganized manner, that doesn't mean I know nothing about evolution.

So you guys want scientific proof huh... okay how's this? For the dino's turning into birds you should read both parts of this article.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/rr/rr2001/r&r0104a.htm

So did I show you guys plenty of potholes now? And that is only one tiny example. I know of a lot more, and hopefully I'll do a better job of presenting them in a more obvious manner.

Last edited by TheKhanzumer; 08-11-2003 at 05:54 AM..
08-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

:
So, if you believe in Lilith, you must believe in the Bible.
I don't believe in the Bible fullstop. I'm stating all that for you and Grig because you was asking me what i was getting at even though i was clearly stating what i was actually getting at...

:
I don't understand what your trying to get at Jacob.
O-M-G!! I'm saying that God created Demons!! And it was Gods plan to have Demons run around no matter how much you say Lucifer is the cause of such diabolicalness!!

And thankyou to Max for explaining in retard terms...

08-11-2003, 04:30 PM
TheKhanzumer
OIPT Vice President

TheKhanzumer  (15)
Happy My thoughts on demons...

This is one part of the Bible I don't know much about but from what I know...

God created demons, just as he created Satan. Like humans, the spiritual beings God created had their own minds and could make their own decisions. In the Bible, demons usually did not take physical form, but did possess people, causing all sorts of mental illness and physical weakness. I think God created demons to test humans and also to make Jesus and the apostles look good (since they had authority over demons on earth). After the resurection of Jesus, the demons were no longer allowed on the earth.

As for Lilith and the others, I think they are probably made up by normal people, so they aren't real. But you never know. There are many angels with names in the Bible, so I don't see why demons couldn't. I've never heard any demon names mentioned though, with the exception of Satan, but he is the Devil which is very different.

You guys should read Luke 8:26-39. Funny story, that not many people know.

Last edited by TheKhanzumer; 08-11-2003 at 08:32 AM..