Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Forum Suggestions & Help

05-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

: May 2003
: I have left
: 251
Reese Charles  (10)
Exclamation Necrum Burial Grounds: How to avoid it.

IMPORTANT: This needs to be made clear to all slurgs: Posting topics such as "First message" and "Happy Easter" are spam. No matter which way you look at it, there is an average of 1 new user every two days here, so if everyone did this the forums would soon fill up. They will allmost always be deleted and/or sent to the Necrum Burial Grounds. Here are a few guidelines to follow when you join:

-1. Make your first post in a thread by someone else, you will be welcomed by people there if your new.

-2. Once your clear on what you want to make a topic on, try and imagine yourself visiting that thread, and ask yourself "Would I visit this?", try to remember that the topic name has to clearly state what your topic is about.

-3. Think very carefully about what you will write to introduce people to your thread. A simple "hello" will usually suffice, but it is often helpful if not imperitive to give an introduction to your thread.

-4. Read through your whole post at least twice, the first time to check if you have made yourself clear (IE if you have made your point and done it clearly without spelling mistakes.), and the second time to make sure you haven't said anything in a way that could be interpereted as rude or offensive.

-5. Respond to each post considering the opinion and point of view of the person that posted it. Try to remember that if they are wrong, it could be something to do with something that they are unclear on.

-6. Try to respect the action that moderators take on other users, as they are doing it for your benefit, even if you dissagree with it. I have made this mistake in the past, I would hate to see other people end up with their posts in the NBG.

-7. Before you post a thread, think about what forum it should be in, for instance: A question about using the forum should be posted in the Forum Suggestions & Help area, not the General Discussion area.

-8. Once you have made a thread, don't ignore it. Keep going back and checking to reply to posts by other users, no one likes a ghost town.

-9. Try to remember that there may be a younger audience reading your post, so do your best to stay away from using bad language or sexual references.

-10. Use your common sense! If you think something is wrong then report it. If your unsure about something then don't do it/accept it. And enjoy yourself, a forum is a place to extend your interests into involving and enjoyable disscussion!

I sincerely hope that these simple guidelines enhance your stay at the Oddworld Forums.

Reese

PS: Moderators: Please move this post to the Necrum Burial grounds and put it to the top with "Important" in bold, or simply have it at the top of the GD forum. Either way, I think its important to let new users know why threads would ever get moved to the NBG. It will be useful to be able to link to his post whenever a newbie user gets his post moved to the NGB or somewhere else.
When this post has been moved or upgraded to an important message I will edit this post and remove this message.

Thanks
05-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Sekto Springs
Silent Contributor

: In the smile of every larvae.
: 7,350
Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)Sekto Springs  (4398)

i cant think of many slurgs on this forum

05-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

I'd suggest this go into FS&H, seeing as I don't think anyone would bother to read importants in Necrum I'm thinking we should just post an announcement for the forums at the top. Newbies most likely wouldn't notice the tiny "rules" button located at the top, but for a first time user, they would most likely look around at the forum to take in the views. A standout announcement would probably do the trick.

I think a new rules page should probably be made, however. A bit fancier looking, and more organized to help answer specifics. Either that or leave it how it is, the current page hasn't caused the 10 plagues yet.
05-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

Too many Rules.... brain overload!!!
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

05-10-2003, 03:44 AM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

I am thinking of the admins more than the slurgs here, but bearing the slurgs in mind too. If a mod has to move a thread to the NBG for whatever reason, then it would be very useful for you to be able to link to this thread so that you can show the offender why their thread was moved to NBG. It might save you the trouble of having to explain yourself each time you do it...
As for there being too many rules, these aren't rules, they are guidelines. Pretty much re-iterating what is said in the forum rules, only a bit more freindly .

Reese
05-15-2003, 03:16 AM
Cloverfield
Oddworld Forums Owner
J.J.'s Bad Robot

: Jun 2000
: Melbourne, Australia, Oddworld
: 2,613
Cloverfield  (72)

The guidelines sound good Reece. So are you giving a suggestion to stick at the top of Necrum, or to add them as a subsection to the rules. Just a bit confused.

Abe Babe...

"If that's so, I shall draw you into the darkness. Into the nightmare that forever deprives you of light, from which you can never awaken." ~ Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts

Obsessed with J.J. Abrams!!! <3
Creator of Cloverfield, Lost, Alias and Fringe ... he's just too awesome!

05-15-2003, 11:15 AM
The Red Muse
Clakker Store Clerk

: Oct 2002
: I really can't remember.
: 798
The Red Muse  (10)

Ha, I better keep those in mind! *takes out a pen and starts writing to the palm of her hand*

...uh-oh O_o;;...I could only fit in the first line... Damn my hands are too small for this...*mumbles something*

Guess I have to do it the hard way then... *starts learning the tips*

05-20-2003, 06:21 PM
Reese Charles
Sniper Wasp

Reese Charles  (10)

:
Originally posted by Abe Babe
The guidelines sound good Reece. So are you giving a suggestion to stick at the top of Necrum, or to add them as a subsection to the rules. Just a bit confused.

Abe Babe...
Whatever you want AB, your the admin . Personally I say put it at the top of Necrum, as a sort of second rule section. (sort of).
Then whenever the Admins or Mods move a post to the NBG they can link to this.
Helpful innit?

(PS before you move this thread to NBG and make it important, you should remove this discussion, as it might confuse the point...)

Reese